Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,113 members, 7,821,821 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:28 PM

Obafemi Martins Leaves Wolfsburg For Russian Champions - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Obafemi Martins Leaves Wolfsburg For Russian Champions (4534 Views)

Wolfsburg Vs Manchester United: UCL (3 - 2) On 8th December 2015 / Manchester United Vs Wolfsburg: UCL: (2 - 1) On 30th September 2015 / Bayern Munich Vs VfL Wolfsburg (2 - 0) On 28th January 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obafemi Martins Leaves Wolfsburg For Russian Champions by CLT123(m): 7:48pm On Jul 09, 2010
Reports indicate that a deal between German Bundesliga side VfL Wolfsburg and Rubin has been struck and that Martins has agreed personal terms. The Nigerian international forward has reportedly signed a three-year contract with the Tatars.

The 25-year-old has been quoted as saying, "It's a new beginning, a new start in a new country promises so much of a challenge for me.
"I have to thank the fans of Wolfsburg, my former colleagues there and wish the club all the best for the future.

"I am joining a team of champions and I hope to bring my best to the club to make them even greater."

Martins was signed by Wolfsburg from Newcastle in 2009 but he had a poor 2009-10 campaign, scoring just six goals in 22 appearances.

The player's agent, Nicola Walter, though, thinks that Martins can rejuvenate his career in the Russian Premier League.

"We spoke to the coach and he emphasised that Martins has a massive role to play in his team, which is encouraging," said Walter. "It is a fresh start for Martins, after playing in Italy, England and Germany, he is happy to be part of the evolution and success of Rubin in Europe.

"Hopefully the European Champions League and the demanding Russian league will give the player something important to focus on after his World Cup disappointment."
Re: Obafemi Martins Leaves Wolfsburg For Russian Champions by Jarus(m): 8:19pm On Jul 09, 2010
Googled this and found it to be true. Has Martins gotten this bad? Russian league? At this age?

http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2010/07/09/2018082/obafemi-martins-leaves-wolfsburg-for-rubin-kazan

Nigeria's top strikers are in Rubin, Locomotiv, Westham abi na Everton Yakubu still dey. Too bad
Re: Obafemi Martins Leaves Wolfsburg For Russian Champions by candylips(m): 8:31pm On Jul 09, 2010
the guy is finished abeg
Re: Obafemi Martins Leaves Wolfsburg For Russian Champions by aieromon(m): 8:58pm On Jul 09, 2010
Rubin Kazan
This is surely rock bottom shyt.
Re: Obafemi Martins Leaves Wolfsburg For Russian Champions by otokx(m): 9:25pm On Jul 09, 2010
This old papa says he is 25 years, chai.
Re: Obafemi Martins Leaves Wolfsburg For Russian Champions by 12large: 9:48pm On Jul 09, 2010
abeg this is exactly what martins needs let him have i great season at kazan and european clubs will rush him. it is better to be a star man at kazan, than to be playing 20minutes once every 2games. the guy martins still has it for me he is good as yekini when he is on form. just watch how martins would become top scorer and find a new big club
Re: Obafemi Martins Leaves Wolfsburg For Russian Champions by adconline(m): 3:54am On Jul 10, 2010
happy ending for tired legs like him
Re: Obafemi Martins Leaves Wolfsburg For Russian Champions by Becomrich0: 4:56am On Jul 10, 2010
obafemi is running because of tax system. He is smarter than most of the player. He is calculating how much he get back. You dont want to leave in a country where the tax is too high. britian has higher tax than other country. Look if you make 10 million in a country and you have to pay 5 million in tax. While another country you are given 8 million but you have to pay 2 million. you kept 6 million.

Nigerian only calculate how much we keep back. How much do i get back.
Re: Obafemi Martins Leaves Wolfsburg For Russian Champions by bawomolo(m): 5:04am On Jul 10, 2010
12large:

abeg this is exactly what martins needs let him have i great season at kazan and european clubs will rush him. it is better to be a star man at kazan, than to be playing 20minutes once every 2games. the guy martins still has it for me he is good as yekini when he is on form. just watch how martins would become top scorer and find a new big club

why would they rush a 30 plus year old geezer?
Re: Obafemi Martins Leaves Wolfsburg For Russian Champions by Iysayah(m): 7:07am On Jul 10, 2010
Wat a happy endin to a glorious career! Uncle martins, it is time to quit.twin brother of uncle yakubu. grin
Re: Obafemi Martins Leaves Wolfsburg For Russian Champions by jpworld(m): 8:16am On Jul 10, 2010
I very big step backward, hope he recover from it,
Re: Obafemi Martins Leaves Wolfsburg For Russian Champions by eros(m): 8:22am On Jul 10, 2010
Becomrich0:

obafemi is running because of tax system. He is smarter than most of the player. He is calculating how much he get back. You dont want to leave in a country where the tax is too high. britian has higher tax than other country. Look if you make 10 million in a country and you have to pay 5 million in tax. While another country you are given 8 million but you have to pay 2 million. you kept 6 million.

If truly this is one of the reasons he is leaving his former club, then good for him. However, it is not good for his career. Whichever way or whatever he does, he is still gonna be a million pounds richer and i envy him for that.
Re: Obafemi Martins Leaves Wolfsburg For Russian Champions by AloyEmeka5: 8:41am On Jul 10, 2010
Becomrich0:

obafemi is running because of tax system. He is smarter than most of the player. He is calculating how much he get back. You dont want to leave in a country where the tax is too high. [size=14pt]britian has higher tax than other country[/size]. Look if you make 10 million in a country and you have to pay 5 million in tax. While another country you are given 8 million but you have to pay 2 million. you kept 6 million.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Dunno why your satellite is showing Wolfsburg in Britain. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Obafemi Martins Leaves Wolfsburg For Russian Champions by nettan: 8:44am On Jul 10, 2010
Next move after Russia can only be Qatar or some middle eastern club, and finally Nigerian premier league. I hope he's saved some money for his retirement. . learnt we was spending like a drunken sailor
Re: Obafemi Martins Leaves Wolfsburg For Russian Champions by IbrahimB: 8:54am On Jul 10, 2010
Jarus:

At this age?

At which age? grin
Re: Obafemi Martins Leaves Wolfsburg For Russian Champions by delimit(m): 9:23am On Jul 10, 2010
martins has miss it all by going to russian league.
we say goodbye to you
Re: Obafemi Martins Leaves Wolfsburg For Russian Champions by reindeer: 9:46am On Jul 10, 2010
Good riddance!
I hope the club is in siberia. angry
Re: Obafemi Martins Leaves Wolfsburg For Russian Champions by Builder: 10:00am On Jul 10, 2010
Nigerians and their "£$%^ for their fellow countryman reach new level. If its David Becham moving from milan to Russian league i cant wait to read the praises and adoration.

Obafemi Martins, i wish u all the luck, i believe u will succeed. if only ya'll making the money he is making
Re: Obafemi Martins Leaves Wolfsburg For Russian Champions by Papishi(m): 10:01am On Jul 10, 2010
Y all d fuss about uncle Martins? Cant u guyz c dat he's finished already nd since he cannot come back 2 d super chickens again he'd beta hook up some moni nd retire. And where s dat Fatkubu? I hope he ends up n Akwa United.
Re: Obafemi Martins Leaves Wolfsburg For Russian Champions by trisurface: 10:23am On Jul 10, 2010
Whats D Problem people?
Rubin Kazan played Barcelona & Inter in the Champions league this outgoing season or the one before it.
They contribute a sizeable number of players to the russian national team. rumors say they're owned by a Billionaire.
They've won the league 2ce in the last 2 years. Got to the round of 32 last year. They played against Martins & Wolfsburg in last Year's tournament. they know what they're getting.
Kinkladze & Rebrov have played for them before.

Now tell me. How many English teams outside the big 4 met Barcelona or Intermilan in Competitions last yr. Answer-Zilch.
To Me, He's got a better deal than everyone except Mikel & Yakubu. In Russia, He'll work for his money. He'll play Champions League this season. He's on the World stage again.

Its Russia not Maldives. Its the same region that gave us Pavlyuchenko/Arshavin/Kanchelskis.
Its not a bad deal for a season or two. IMHO.
Re: Obafemi Martins Leaves Wolfsburg For Russian Champions by mojounited(m): 10:39am On Jul 10, 2010
Don't know what you guys are on about  undecided, VFL Wolfsburg finished 8th in the German Bundesliga last season (2009/2010) which means no UEFA competition (UCL or Europa League) for them this season (2010/2011) while Rubin Kazan were Russian Champions last season and will partake in this season's UCL. Also, this same Russian Champions gave Barcelona a run for their money in last season's UCL in the group stages. If you ask me, I'd say it's a good move for Martins albeit the RPL is not as competitive as GBL.

Best of luck Martino!
Re: Obafemi Martins Leaves Wolfsburg For Russian Champions by mojounited(m): 10:42am On Jul 10, 2010
@trisurface,

You're spot on
Re: Obafemi Martins Leaves Wolfsburg For Russian Champions by MeGaStReEt: 10:45am On Jul 10, 2010
this guy should have gone to AssAnal when they needed him,
Re: Obafemi Martins Leaves Wolfsburg For Russian Champions by Nymphnode(m): 11:14am On Jul 10, 2010
reindeer:

Good riddance!
I hope the club is in siberia. angry

Remember to put him on your toy boot distribution list during Christmas. Reindeer grin  grin
Re: Obafemi Martins Leaves Wolfsburg For Russian Champions by mojounited(m): 11:49am On Jul 10, 2010
this guy should have gone to AssAnal when they needed him,

@MeGaStReEt,

I can recall when that transfer rumour was all over the news, I think it was a mere speculation; wasn't real so he (Martins) was never needed at A@rse-nal. I think his buy-out clause at the time of the rumour was over 15mil GB Pounds undecided and A@rse-ne W@nker does not easily fork out that much money to pay for players, he loves kids embarassed
Re: Obafemi Martins Leaves Wolfsburg For Russian Champions by Mrmik(m): 11:59am On Jul 10, 2010
My people isn't it time we start telling ourselves the truth, how can Obafemi declare himself 25 even when he looks a year or two younger Kanu.
Nigeria should learn to really chose young footballers with their real age and not Nigerian Passport ages. That way they can run and chase other Nations young footballers. And not this old muscle packs Nigeria keep fielding in important matches that cannot deliver nothing. [/color]
Re: Obafemi Martins Leaves Wolfsburg For Russian Champions by CHAIRMAN1(m): 12:07pm On Jul 10, 2010
The beginning of the end undecided
Re: Obafemi Martins Leaves Wolfsburg For Russian Champions by 5p1naz(m): 1:40pm On Jul 10, 2010
SMART MOVE, MO MONEY, MO TROPHIES, UCL
Re: Obafemi Martins Leaves Wolfsburg For Russian Champions by tjskii(f): 1:54pm On Jul 10, 2010
im no soccer guru,but even i know russia is a dead end,the guy is stylyshly retiring jare.
Re: Obafemi Martins Leaves Wolfsburg For Russian Champions by Nuriel22: 2:20pm On Jul 10, 2010
Re: Obafemi Martins Leaves Wolfsburg For Russian Champions by Jarus(m): 2:43pm On Jul 10, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Dunno why your satellite is showing Wolfsburg in Britain. grin grin grin grin grin

BCR just woke up since 2009, when Martins left Newcastle for Wolfsburg grin

Builder:

Nigerians and their "£$%^ for their fellow countryman reach new level. If its David Becham moving from milan to Russian league i cant wait to read the praises and adoration.

Obafemi Martins, i wish u all the luck, i believe u will succeed. if only ya'll making the money he is making
If Beckham moved to Russia at 25, there will surely be more fuss. If Kanu moves to Russia now for example, it is a good move. What we are saying is that Martins' career is too young to go into obscurity which this move will bring about. UCL aside, which I'm sure they wont go beyond 2nd round at most, how many people watch Russian league? How many top media cover Russian league? Do you see CNN show reviews of Russian league as they do of EPL, Bundesliga, Ligue 1, and La Liga. What we are saying is that his career is drifting into oblivion.

eros:

If truly this is one of the reasons he is leaving his former club, then good for him. .
Welcome to the world of analyst Becomrich.

otokx:

This old papa says he is 25 years, chai.
Mrmik:

My people isn't it time we start telling ourselves the truth, how can Obafemi declare himself 25 even when he looks a year or two younger Kanu.
[/color]
No Martins is truly young. Surely not 25, but real age for real age, Kanu should be at least 10 yrs older. Martins' real age may not be more than 28-30.
Re: Obafemi Martins Leaves Wolfsburg For Russian Champions by manosteel(m): 2:45pm On Jul 10, 2010
Hmmmn! That sounds like Rugby. It is well.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking News: Chris Hougton To Be Named As New Chelsea Coach This Week ! Confirmed ! / 2013 Forbes’ List Of The Richest Football Clubs / FA Cup: Yeovil Town F.C Vs Manchester United On Jan 4th 2014 At 4:30PM

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.