Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,321 members, 7,811,948 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:51 AM

How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? (21016 Views)

Stammering: Steps On How To Reduce It And Speech Therapy / Thread On How To Stop Stammering / 5-year-old Australian Girl Grew Breasts At 2 And Started Her Period At 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by Nobody: 11:16pm On Oct 02, 2018
Hello parents,

Please, what can I do to help my 5 year old to stop stammering?

I live in Lagos and I seem unable to find a speech therapist around.

I am getting so frustrated.

Thanks so much.

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by LuciferKristi: 12:00am On Oct 03, 2018
dundunni01:
Hello parents,
Thanks so much.

Slap the fvck outta him/her till the gift of speech is restored.

Swahili will do.

48 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by ksbusari(m): 10:04am On Oct 05, 2018
I swear to Allah. correct slap will reset his/her brain. I thought my mum was wicked but I later realized she helped me. it took me seconds to pronounce 'mummy' bt I discovered I could pronounce correctly after every slap. I beg u. don't let the boy/girl regret it. slap the shit outta him/her.

65 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by Mariangeles(f): 12:12pm On Oct 05, 2018
The two commenters above, how could the both of you be so heartless and cruel ??

When someone is asking for help, if you have nothing sensible to say, just shut up !

276 Likes 18 Shares

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by Mariangeles(f): 12:15pm On Oct 05, 2018
dundunni01:
Hello parents,

Thanks so much.
You have to be patient with him / her .
You are the only that can help your child build his/her confidence .
Teach him/her to speak more slowly, it might help...

95 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by miqos02(m): 1:06pm On Oct 05, 2018
Hmmm
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by Nobody: 1:06pm On Oct 05, 2018
Position your hands 10m away from his cheek, Spread your fingers and move it faster than the 'speed of light' to his cheek!
*blackout*
Stretch up to kiss your red-cheeked son. He'll be grateful to you forever.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by soviete(m): 1:06pm On Oct 05, 2018
LuciferKristi:

Swahili will do.
grin grin
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by FYB(m): 1:07pm On Oct 05, 2018
lipsrsealed
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by OneCorner: 1:07pm On Oct 05, 2018
LuciferKristi:

Swahili will do.

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by chemali: 1:07pm On Oct 05, 2018
do you have relative in your immediate or extended family that stammer?

if yes, it could be genetic.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by Nobody: 1:08pm On Oct 05, 2018
At OP do not mind the jobless youths and kids on this forum. This is the best time to encourage your kid. I stammered too when i was very young and instead of parents and siblings to assist me overcome it i was mocked. This caused me to struggle with my self esteem. Thank fully I have out grown it and more and more confident in each passing day. I still stammer a lil tho but its under control.

Solution:

Correct your child with love and tell him to take a deep breath and repeat the word slowly. Scold anyone who mocks him. Also, let him mix alot with his peers and kids activities such as sunday school acting, singing etc

My his grace he will overcome.

Shalom

175 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by pawesome(m): 1:09pm On Oct 05, 2018
Is natural na...
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by IARASORGANIC: 1:09pm On Oct 05, 2018
I once heard drinking a pepper soup prepared with Agama lizard was a perfect remedy, I haven't tried it before but you can make more research on it.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by sexymoma(f): 1:09pm On Oct 05, 2018
Whenever the child want to stammer just shout "Talk" angry
he will do normal

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by gurunlocker: 1:09pm On Oct 05, 2018
Let him go out more and play with his fellow kids, this should help before its too late.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by coolcatty: 1:09pm On Oct 05, 2018
Mariangeles:
The two commenters above, how could the both of you be so heartless and cruel ??

When someone is asking for help, if you have nothing sensible to say, just shut up !

They are very correct...my niece used to be a chronic stammerer..those ones that used to stamp their feet before speaking...but she stopped when her grandmother used slap to reset her brain...most of these myopic remedies work.....

67 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by infocabal(m): 1:10pm On Oct 05, 2018
Let the child always breathe in well before saying anything.

And you as the mother have to correct him/her everytime of what is wrong and correct.

Let the child watch baby videos and try to replicate the audio.

Practice makes perfect.

Your child may end up being an orator.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by oyejideogunjumo: 1:10pm On Oct 05, 2018
dundunni01:
Hello parents,

Thanks so much.
I was able to get it out of my son.
Stamerring is as a result of impatience and agressiveness. Any time he wants to talk,telling him to keep quiet and start to talk steadily and patiently but u really need to be at hos neck to always talk gently
With time he will overcome because he is still young. My son I s above 20 now and we'll balanced in speech. Don't stop until he overcomes it.

51 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by iamwhat: 1:10pm On Oct 05, 2018
ksbusari:
I swear to Allah. correct slap will reset his/her brain. I thought my mum was wicked but I later realized she helped me. it took me seconds to pronounce 'mummy' bt I discovered I could pronounce correctly after every slap. I beg u. don't let the boy/girl regret it. slap the shit outta him/her.

Tell me you're kidding..... because your response is exactly the same as the first person to comment.

4 Likes

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by nurez305(m): 1:11pm On Oct 05, 2018
To be honest , I don't know
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by Originality007: 1:11pm On Oct 05, 2018
grin factory setting slap will do..come and thank me later
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by dynamic006(m): 1:11pm On Oct 05, 2018
Most times , the major cause of stammer might me hereditary or lack of confidence. Please always tell him to be relaxed while he talks , he shouldn't rush, a word at a time . you will see changes . also joined American stturter association sometimes ago , I followed thier advice and I started improving.

6 Likes

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by adisabarber(m): 1:12pm On Oct 05, 2018
The only solution I know is harsh. When the child begins to stutter just shout shut up and start again. It's been long since I saw a child stammer so I don't know the new remedy. Maybe you should try making your child read books aloud to you.

4 Likes

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by Originality007: 1:12pm On Oct 05, 2018
ksbusari:

grin grin u just say mind my mind. she should slap shiitt of out head
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by Nobody: 1:12pm On Oct 05, 2018
Mariangeles:

How are you smiley
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by cardeeree: 1:13pm On Oct 05, 2018
dundunni01:
Hello parents,

Thanks so much.

I stammered a lot when i was about his age but you need to be very attentive now to know i do now. The key, always tell him to speak slowly. New words are a nightmare, so expect a lot of difficulty as he tries to master his speech. Encourage him to formulate his sentence in his mind before speaking. The key, he should talk slowly

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by iamwhat: 1:13pm On Oct 05, 2018
coolcatty:

They are very correct...my niece used to be a chronic stammerer..those ones that used to stamp their feet before speaking...but she stopped when her grandmother used slap to reset her brain...most of these myopic remedies work.....

Another person ?
Now I'm beginning to believe the slap remedy....

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by omocalabar(m): 1:13pm On Oct 05, 2018
tell him to relaxed, smile,..then say what he wants to say....works like majic

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by Nobody: 1:13pm On Oct 05, 2018
You will go to Mr. Biggs today, Tantalizers tomorrow & Domino's Pizza next tomorrow - how will you not born a stammerer & slowpoke when the food you're eating & feeding your system are ridden with GMOs?

I meant no offense.

In Ijebu, there are no stammerers & imbeciles because na paki we dey chop morning, afernoon & night. grin

If you see any stammerer or slowpoke in Ijebu, na foreigner them be. grin

Well, according to Mark 7:32 - "A deaf man with a speech impediment was brought to him, and the people begged Jesus to lay his hands on the man to heal him".

Unfortunately, since all of us reading this thread know with utmost conviction that in this age, what was written in the scripture above can only take place in the "United States of Utopia". grin cheesy grin

I can only say I'm sorry, I do not have a solution to your query. grin

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by kingsjeroneyah: 1:13pm On Oct 05, 2018
I once watch a video of a STAUNCH stammerer, who was able to read a full essay by help of music.
Get any thing that make harmonious sound for him and pay close attention daily.
Best of luck!

6 Likes

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by rayobaba(m): 1:13pm On Oct 05, 2018
Some stammer reduces as d person grow older. Don't see it as disease. Don't worry yourself. Help your child to be brave. Fear increases stammering. Don't make your child be aware that you are noticing he stammer.

13 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Dr Vwaere Diaso: Lagos Government Condoles Family, Sets Up Inquiry / "It Can Never Be Well With Drunkards" - Man Says After Getting Drunk In Osun. / My 3-Year-Old Son Doesn't Fart, Please Advise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.