Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,981 members, 7,817,894 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:11 PM

What Is Truth ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Truth ? (917 Views)

What Is Truth? / Is Truth Relative Or Is There Just One Truth? / What Is Truth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Truth ? by ogoamaka99(m): 9:02am On Jul 10, 2010
One cardinal WORD that has featured repeatedly in this forum is the WORD truth. Some post clear falsehood (lie) and present it as truth. Others present truth and it is treated as falsehood or lie. To the feeble mind this brings confusion. So i am asking this question ,WHAT IS TRUTH and how do one differentiate truth from lie or falsehood ?.
Re: What Is Truth ? by Jenwitemi(m): 9:19am On Jul 10, 2010
ogoamaka99:

One cardinal WORD that has featured repeatedly in this forum is the WORD truth. Some post clear falsehood (lie) and present it as truth. Others present truth and it is treated as falsehood or lie. To the feeble mind this brings confusion. So i am asking this question ,WHAT IS TRUTH and how do one differentiate truth from lie or falsehood ?.
I am sure you know what the TRUTH is and what it is about more than anybody else on this board. So, why not enlighten us on what it is? But remember that there are many versions of truth, and all you will be doing is offering yours. So, get going.
Re: What Is Truth ? by Joagbaje(m): 10:10am On Jul 10, 2010
Truth is anything that is consistent with God's plan and purspose for us in Christ Jesus.
Re: What Is Truth ? by Jenwitemi(m): 10:25am On Jul 10, 2010
Joagbaje:

Truth is anything that is consistent with God's plan and purspose for us in Christ Jesus.
And that will depend on what your version of God is and what your idea of the purpose is. The truth is not as easy to define as that.
Re: What Is Truth ? by PastorAIO: 10:45am On Jul 10, 2010
Joagbaje:

Mr. Agbaje, I almost leapt out of my chair in rapturous applause after reading the first 6 words. That would have been the most agreeable to me thing that I'd ever read you post . . . but then I kept on reading and while I still agreed however I felt the it lost some of it's elegance.

I would say it simply as
Truth is anything that is Consistent.
Re: What Is Truth ? by Image123(m): 12:57pm On Jul 10, 2010
Jesus Christ is the only thing that is consistent, the firm foundation. He was and is and is to come. He is the SAME yesterday, today and forever. Little wonder then that He said "I am THE truth"John 14v6.
Re: What Is Truth ? by Tudor6(f): 2:21pm On Jul 10, 2010
^^
How is jesus consistent?
Re: What Is Truth ? by Image123(m): 2:40pm On Jul 10, 2010
By being the same yesterday, today and forever.
Re: What Is Truth ? by Jenwitemi(m): 2:55pm On Jul 10, 2010
The Jesus myth is not consistent, but rather persistent. If Jesus myth were to be consistent, there would have been far less schizms in christiandom.
Image123:

Jesus Christ is the only thing that is consistent, the firm foundation. He was and is and is to come. He is the SAME yesterday, today and forever. Little wonder then that He said "I am THE truth"John 14v6.
Re: What Is Truth ? by Image123(m): 3:18pm On Jul 10, 2010
I don't know about the Jesus myth. Is that some article you've read or what?
Re: What Is Truth ? by denitro(m): 8:24pm On Jul 10, 2010
We have 2 types of truth,
Relative and absolute Truth
1. Relative Truth - Is the knowledge of things based on popular opinions and facts (scientific findings)
e.g Many years ago, the following was known as truth
- The earth is flat
- There are 9 planets in our solar system.
But as we know better, all of the following are false, But as at then they were truths relative to a particular time and season

2. Absolute Truth - This is the knowledge of things as they were, as they will be and as they will ever be.
MORAL: Don't judge religion or people based on popular opinion.
Re: What Is Truth ? by Joagbaje(m): 11:17pm On Jul 10, 2010
Pastor AIO:

Mr. Agbaje, I almost leapt out of my chair in rapturous applause after reading the first 6 words. That would have been the most agreeable to me thing that I'd ever read you post . . . but then I kept on reading and while I still agreed however I felt the it lost some of it's elegance.

[/b]I would say it simply as
[b]Truth is anything that is Consistent.

There is a natural definition. But The definition I gave has to do with The word of God. Yours seem to be a little on the natural side. Remember a lie can also be consistent. Satan is a consistent liar.

John 8:44
He (Satan)was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
Re: What Is Truth ? by manmustwac(m): 1:39am On Jul 11, 2010
depends what on see to be the truth for example to me god is imaginary but you will obviously say that god is real.
Re: What Is Truth ? by ice234: 2:35am On Jul 11, 2010
dont understand u.
Re: What Is Truth ? by Jenwitemi(m): 8:21am On Jul 11, 2010
Stop pretending to play the ignorant, it does not look good on you.
Image123:

I don't know about the Jesus myth. Is that some article you've read or what?
Re: What Is Truth ? by Jenwitemi(m): 8:25am On Jul 11, 2010
You must be talking about Yahweh here, no? Because all these things you wrote fit him perfectly. Yahweh and satan, they have to be one and the same entity. And that could be a "consistent" truth.
Joagbaje:

There is a natural definition. But The definition I gave has to do with The word of God. Yours seem to be a little on the natural side. Remember a lie can also be consistent. Satan is a consistent liar.

He (Satan)was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

Re: What Is Truth ? by Tudor6(f): 12:02pm On Jul 11, 2010
Image123:

By being the same yesterday, today and forever.
How is jesus the same yesterday, today and forever?
Re: What Is Truth ? by Image123(m): 12:55pm On Jul 11, 2010
^
By being the same personality He was yesterday today and forever. hahaha
Re: What Is Truth ? by Tudor6(f): 3:47pm On Jul 11, 2010
Image123:

^
By being the same personality He was yesterday today and forever. hahaha
Couldnt you be more explicit? This doesnt explain anything
Re: What Is Truth ? by Image123(m): 7:04pm On Jul 11, 2010
What do you want tudor, Bible verse or 40 lines explaining the above. Your wish is my comma.
Re: What Is Truth ? by PastorAIO: 8:38pm On Jul 11, 2010
Joagbaje:

No sir, A liar might be consistent, but the Lie itself can never be consistent. Satan is a liar and may be consistent in his lying, however his lies cannot be consistent. There will be contradictions. Most blatantly they will contradict facts and truth. Lie can never be consistent with truth. even if the lie is consistent with itself.
Re: What Is Truth ? by Tudor6(f): 8:47pm On Jul 11, 2010
Image123:

What do you want tudor, Bible verse or 40 lines explaining the above. Your wish is my comma.
Good, I want an explanation on how a dead guy is the same yesterday, today and forever
Re: What Is Truth ? by Image123(m): 9:28pm On Jul 11, 2010
Good. Thou shalt get an explanation, it's another thing if you'll be content though.
Hebrews 13v8. Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and today and forever.
Revelation 1v8. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.
Here is Jesus Christ in revelation showing Himself alive and revealing Himself as consistent. He died and rose again. He is unique. No other being has claimed to die and rise again and be alive forever more. He's so alive and willing to reveal Himself to anyone who desires to know Him more. He's revealed Himself to many around us.

(1) (Reply)

A Test For False Prophets / Vote Your Most Favorite Nigerian Preacher/s / Science/god

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.