Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,411 members, 7,853,811 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 03:49 AM

What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage (1979 Views)

Nnamdi Kanu Is A Common Criminal – Arewa Youth Leader On Arrest Of IPOB Leader / Asari Dokubo: Sanusi Is A Common Thief, A Liar. Should Be Sent To Prison (Video) / Junaid Mohammed: Sanusi’s Lineage Can Never Become Emir Of Kano Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by izombie(m): 6:29am On Oct 05, 2018
chiefolododo:
We don't hate the Igbos ,it is just that they can be stubborn at times
we don't hate the yorubas, it's just that they can betray you at all times.
Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by Biafrannuke: 6:41am On Oct 05, 2018
What's the idea behind the shameless attempts at making yoruba and Igbo appear as one when infact they have no common boundary. if not for Igbo obsession, yorubas should be more concerned with itsekiri and edo etc only efik/ibibio/annang has a possibility of having one origin with Igbo.

1 Like

Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by BrownRoofRep: 6:45am On Oct 05, 2018
lionjungle3000:
Igbos, what is wrong with Yoruba you don't want them? Pls accept them
They are treacherous in all forms.
I rather relate with goats than those ugly and filthy hydraulic soup eating demons.

4 Likes

Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by gidgiddy: 6:56am On Oct 05, 2018
As an Igbo man. It would be better for me to trust a Cobra than a Yoruba man.

At least, the Cobra will attack me from the front, thus giving me a chance to defend myself. A Yoruba man will stab you in the back and hold the knife there

4 Likes

Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by adedayoa2(f): 7:56am On Oct 05, 2018
justice12000:
Reading positive comments above by Yorubas show they so much want to be Igbo or be related to Igbo. That's why they will die to marry Igbo women to get that blood mixed with themselves, they watch and follow more Igbo/Biafran news more than Biafrans themselves. Sorry afonaas Igbos will not accept you people. Afonjas, stay on your afonjas, how difficult this? Igbos have said repeatedly they don't like you people because of your treachery and wickedness. Awolowo starved 3.5 million Igbos to death out of envy, For God in Heaven!
It shows Yorubas are the matured ones and its the igbos that starts tribal wars here. 'Even wars have limit'

2 Likes

Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by freeze001(f): 8:27am On Oct 05, 2018
adedayoa2:
It shows Yorubas are the matured ones and its the igbos that starts tribal wars here. 'Even wars have limit'

On the contrary, even on this thread, a yoruba poster started the insults.
This is the first:
chiefolododo:
We don't hate the Igbos ,it is just that they can be stubborn at times
Then this:
AlhajaChinyere:
Awon olori pelebe tun ti bere!
And yet again this:
BabaRamota1980:
Tttwwueeh!! God forbid!
What an abomination thought.

OP watch yaself angry angry angry angry

Al these came before responses from Igbos.

5 Likes

Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by Presidiotbuhari: 9:29am On Oct 05, 2018
adedayoa2:
^^^^
Because u are new in this forum, u would be forgiven for making such assertion.

Do a little reserch about few of these names i will drop down, they are the pioneers and foreruners of tribalism in this site. dayokanu, ilekeidi, ilugunboy,desola,shimex,aigbofa,rhino etc.
Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by bantudra: 9:38am On Oct 05, 2018
SimplePlan34:
Please permit me to share an insight we were taught by renowned West African historians at the then University of Ife, Ile Ife in the 1980s, regarding the 'modern' history of the Yoruba and Igbo: that the Igbo and Yoruba were the same people until about 6000 years ago!

As astonishing as that may seem, this academic thesis was supported by linguistic evidence, although I doubt if this line of research has been continued over the last four decades.

What I am further aware of, however, is attributable to serendipity. As it happened, an amateur linguist (he was actually an American-trained pharmacist) who was our neighbour in Lagos in the 1980s regularly shared with us excitedly, findings from a self-funded study he was conducting on the Yoruba and Ibo languages. Having no academic training in linguistics and totally unaware of what university-educated historians knew, he boldly declared that he had stumbled on linguistic evidence that Yoruba and Ibo were actually from the same 'root' language. This gentleman, an Ibo, was working on a book about this at the time. I do not know if he ever got round to publishing it, as it would be a delight to read what he uncovered from his study.

At the time, his taxonomy of Yoruba and Ibo words that appeared to come from similar root words was fascinating. I clearly remember words like 'Onu' (Igbo) and 'Enu' (Yoruba) both meaning 'mouth'; 'Akuko' and 'Okuko' which both refer to 'Cock'; 'Iba' which translates to 'fever' in both languages and so many other words I cannot immediately recall. Linguists who are well-trained to practise such language games would, of course, know how to explain the exercise he was doing.

Apart from the possibility that Yorubas and Igbos may actually share a common lineage dating thousands of years, one thought that has always stayed with me is this: if this theory were to be empirically proven linguistically, what could this mean for cultural, social and political relations? What about its implications for political integration in Nigeria? What could it mean for the deconstruction of the seeming ethnicisation of politics or put differently, the politicisation of ethnicity by sections of the Nigerian political elite? Surely, a proven thesis of common genealogy between Yorubas and Ibos could have profound implications for the way they see each other. It would be good to see such research funded and published.

From yinka oduwole in Facebook

this will not work today even if they were once toghether....look at afro americans...they were once africans too....but how many africans identifie with afro americans today.....??...and it was not 6000 thounsand years ago that they were shipped off to america....

change is constant....
Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by adedayoa2(f): 9:54am On Oct 05, 2018
freeze001:

On the contrary, even on this thread, a yoruba poster started the insults.
This is the first:

Then this:

And yet again this:

Al these came before responses from Igbos.
ok
Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by adedayoa2(f): 9:55am On Oct 05, 2018
Presidiotbuhari:

^^^^

Do a little reserch about few of these names i will drop down, they are the pioneers and foreruners of tribalism in this site. dayokanu, ilekeidi, ilugunboy,desola,shimex,aigbofa,rhino etc.
ok

1 Like

Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by UgwuAghachi: 11:13am On Oct 05, 2018
Big lie
Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by 1Sharon(f): 4:24pm On Oct 05, 2018
Presidiotbuhari:

^^^^

Nigga pls. Go and look back at topics on NL from 10 years ago. Igbos were creating threads to throw insults at Yorubas for no reason, and Yorubas kept quiet .

It's 2018 and now the tables have turned and Yorubas are throwing blows back at Igbos. And Igbos are handling it poooorly

Potor development grin
Oju-iku the Abidjan tourist grin

Haha..payback

2 Likes

Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by zooster: 4:47pm On Oct 05, 2018
Yorubas trying everything possible since 1900 to be associated with the great Igbos. Ain't gonna happen. Skull mining and betrayal is not in our DNA.
Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by AlhajaChinyere: 5:03pm On Oct 05, 2018
immhotep:

Afonja Jew spotted
Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by AlhajaChinyere: 5:04pm On Oct 05, 2018
immhotep:

Afonja Jew spotted

Shut up, nobody is claiming to be Jew in my homeland, Yorubaland.

Take your jewry back to your dirty primitive enclave.I dare you to go back to your fatherland!
See, you don dey panic - yeye shameless people.
Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by Arda1000(m): 5:07pm On Oct 05, 2018
AlhajaChinyere:
oga ask dino he said afonjas are now jews
Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by orisa37: 5:09pm On Oct 05, 2018
xbernardx:
All the tribal war on nairaland will stop, and we will have a more peaceful community

85% of the tribal war on nairaland is between igbos and yorubas

Please include the link to your source for credibility

Positive & Negative God made them to compliment each other at the right time.
Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by Nobody: 5:10pm On Oct 05, 2018
AlhajaChinyere:

Shut up, nobody is claiming to be Jew in my homeland, Yorubaland.

Take your jewry back to your dirty primitive enclave.I dare you to go back to your fatherland!
See, you don dey panic - yeye shameless people.
Igbo amaka grin
Dont take it too personally.

-------------------------------------------------
About the author:
“Daniel Lis, from the Institute for Jewish Studies, University of Basel, Switzerland, is one of the foremost researchers on Jewish identification among the Igbo. He says there has been a clear continuity of Jewish identity among the Igbo. “It’s not just something that happened yesterday,”

https://www.amazon.com/JEWISH-IDENTITY-AMONG-IGBO-NIGERIA/dp/1592219616

(1) (2) (Reply)

. / Atiku Is Here Present ,total Shutdown In Ramat Square Maiduguri. / I Can’t See The Winner Of Nigeria’s 2019 Election – Popular Islamic Cleric

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.