Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,940 members, 7,814,182 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:36 AM

Age Of Consent (to Have Sex) In Nigeria Is 11 Years (did You Know?) - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Age Of Consent (to Have Sex) In Nigeria Is 11 Years (did You Know?) (8810 Views)

Drama As Ex-wife Marries Off Daughter Without Father’s Consent / Nigerian Man Celebrates As His Friend Becomes A Father After 11 Years Of Waiting / Nigerian Woman Gives Birth To Quadruplets After 11 Years Of Marriage (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Age Of Consent (to Have Sex) In Nigeria Is 11 Years (did You Know?) by poyebad: 7:07pm On Oct 06, 2018
The Age of Consent is the legal age at which an individual is considered mature enough to consent to sex. Sexual relations with someone under the Age of Consent are considered statutory rape, even (in some jurisdictions), if both partners are themselves younger than the Age of Consent.

This qualifies Nigeria as the country with lowest legal age for sex in the world. One wonders what the rationale was for bringing the age of consent for Nigeria so low. Perhaps it is in a bid to make it not an offence to sleep with a primary school boy or girl.

https://www.ageofconsent.net/world

Re: Age Of Consent (to Have Sex) In Nigeria Is 11 Years (did You Know?) by Nobody: 7:12pm On Oct 06, 2018
I dont believe though
Re: Age Of Consent (to Have Sex) In Nigeria Is 11 Years (did You Know?) by Olohunjedalo(m): 7:26pm On Oct 06, 2018
Vichot:
I dont believe though
Who said you need to believe?
A fact remains a fact ! Whether you believe or not .
Clown ! cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Age Of Consent (to Have Sex) In Nigeria Is 11 Years (did You Know?) by hisgrace090: 7:34pm On Oct 06, 2018
Maybe they should have declared us a potential intimacy gadget.
Re: Age Of Consent (to Have Sex) In Nigeria Is 11 Years (did You Know?) by okwabayi(m): 7:49pm On Oct 06, 2018
I remember this. I thought it was settled at 13.
It was some House of Rep members abi senators from one region where they rather deliver a multitude of children than vaccinate themselves against polio who said their religious laws should reflect in the decision.
As usual Nairalanders and the country in general debated over the issue then went back to sleep or fend for food. The decision makers did whatever they liked. This is the result.

1 Like

Re: Age Of Consent (to Have Sex) In Nigeria Is 11 Years (did You Know?) by Nobody: 8:04pm On Oct 06, 2018
I made a post about this earlier today on a thread that was on the front page. A lot of people quoted me and said that the info is wrong. I think they are right.

You can check these links for more

http://9jalegal.com.ng/articles/fact-check-nigerias-sexual-offences-bill-stipulates-18-years-not-11-years-as-age-of-consent/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_Africa
Re: Age Of Consent (to Have Sex) In Nigeria Is 11 Years (did You Know?) by poyebad: 8:50pm On Oct 06, 2018
Xaos:
I made a post about this earlier today on a thread that was on the front page. A lot of people quoted me and said that the info is wrong. I think they are right.

You can check these links for more

http://9jalegal.com.ng/articles/fact-check-nigerias-sexual-offences-bill-stipulates-18-years-not-11-years-as-age-of-consent/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_Africa

Thanks for the links. I'm aware of the first one, and the stipulations of the law are mischieviously as confusing as f**k. Under the same section 7, it defilement was defined in terms of age 11, age 12 to 15 and age 18. I call it mischievious because multiple interpretations can easily be made and age 11 justified. If you check www.ageofconsent.net, Nigeria has 11 years against it. My question, why?
Re: Age Of Consent (to Have Sex) In Nigeria Is 11 Years (did You Know?) by Horus(m): 5:34pm On Jul 03, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRBVBmco20U

Nigeria’s Age of consent is 11 ...Now that is shocking
Re: Age Of Consent (to Have Sex) In Nigeria Is 11 Years (did You Know?) by LilMissFavvy(f): 5:42pm On Jul 03, 2019
I guess that's for northerners. Or that age was made by a northern leader. It should be changed undecided
Re: Age Of Consent (to Have Sex) In Nigeria Is 11 Years (did You Know?) by bukatyne(f): 6:03pm On Jul 03, 2019
This brings a new twist to Busola Coza matter.
Re: Age Of Consent (to Have Sex) In Nigeria Is 11 Years (did You Know?) by lilmax(m): 6:19pm On Jul 03, 2019
it should be 16

A girls innocence dies at 15

1 Like

Re: Age Of Consent (to Have Sex) In Nigeria Is 11 Years (did You Know?) by ibrocool(m): 6:34pm On Mar 07
I'm just getting this information for the first time. I actually thought it is 14 years. There was a movie I watched over a decade ago on NTA concerning this issue. It was based on the northern part of Nigeria where such act is common. Due to extreme poverty, a man married off her daughter of 12 years old to a wealthy man who was over 50 years old just to get dowry which is inform of land. The daughter ran away after the first night with her new husband.

This should be reviewed and updated to at least 15 years of age.
Re: Age Of Consent (to Have Sex) In Nigeria Is 11 Years (did You Know?) by FatherStrudel(m): 2:54pm On Mar 08
Those that can change the law and could raise the age of consent to an acceptable level are probably the same people that are sleeping with very young girls. Its a catch 22 situation. Nigeria has many many problems, unfortunately this is just one of them. Africa needs to grasp fully we are in the 21st Century and be seen to do the decent thing. The age of consent should be increased to at least 16. That does not mean kids under this age won't be having sex together, many still will, that is how it is. But it does mean that underage girls will not be prey to older men, especially if the consequences of breaking the law are extreme enough and enforced...

(1) (Reply)

Should I Go For Adoption / My Husband Is Unfair To Me. Pls Help!!! / How Do You Feel When Your Child Is Crying?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.