Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,257 members, 7,818,880 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:13 AM

Is It Right For Parents To Bribe Thier Children In Order To Make Them Perform... - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Right For Parents To Bribe Thier Children In Order To Make Them Perform... (437 Views)

Is It Right For A Man To Marry His Sister In Law? / Is It Right For My Niece's Boyfriend To Visit Her In My House? / “I Can’t Wait For My Parents To Die, So I Can Inherit All” - Guy On Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Right For Parents To Bribe Thier Children In Order To Make Them Perform... by enikl(m): 7:03pm On Oct 09, 2018
Is it really appropriate for parents to bribe thier kids bribe can be either in monetary form or material like food or candies...can this act cause problem in future...thank you
Re: Is It Right For Parents To Bribe Thier Children In Order To Make Them Perform... by Nobody: 7:09pm On Oct 09, 2018
If it motivates, I don't think it's a bad idea. And it doesn't become a habit whereby the child does what is right, in expectations of gifts. The parent needs to make the child understand it's not a right.

About if it may be a problem in future, the parent should not have made it a habit, that is gratification for being good, everytime. It will be a problem if the child is spoilt, not reprimanded when bad, and bribed to be/when good. Carrot and stick.
Re: Is It Right For Parents To Bribe Thier Children In Order To Make Them Perform... by enikl(m): 7:12pm On Oct 09, 2018
I think u have a point there..gracious
Re: Is It Right For Parents To Bribe Thier Children In Order To Make Them Perform... by frozen70(f): 8:36pm On Oct 09, 2018
Let's look at it from children below 18yrs

These set of children likes being motivated, recognised and loved to get the best from them

If you promise them something if the get good position in class

They sees it as a target, work hard for it and get it, show it to you and right there they will remind you of your promise

Among them in the house, thats the beginning of academic competition

To me it's not bribery but a kind of motivation

Bribe is when you give out money to get what you want

But in their own case, you are giving out a gift to get the best in them
Re: Is It Right For Parents To Bribe Thier Children In Order To Make Them Perform... by JudgementHammer: 5:15am On Oct 10, 2018
Bribing a child with gifts before he/she agrees to do what is right is totally wrong...the child will not only grow up spoilt, even d parents won't be able to control him/her soon.

Making a promise to motivate a child is just perfect and great..depending on d age of the child, it shd be a promise of something attractive he can see and also motivate him with fatherly encouraging words and motherly tender words that would hype his ego to avoid low self esteem. Even Jesus d bible says was able to endure the cross(that horrible suffering) having seen the glory set ahead of him..I.e the glory motivated him.

And don't make a promise you can't keep as a parent. But if a child does something right and u keep ur promise, buy him/her d luscious gifts and praise him/her with words, the child will not only grow up aright, but will also value keeping his promise to others and encouraging others to do what's right.

Then as he/she grows (into teenage), you have to train him that one has to do what is right all the time not because of gifts alone but as a sign of responsibility and integrity expected of him by the society. This is where some young girls get it wrong as they're used to being gifted as darling cuties bla bla. And this is d age bracket where the father's role is highly needed.

(1) (Reply)

67-year Old Nigerien Woman Gives Birth, Becomes The Oldest IVF Mum In Nigeria / Marriage Certificate / 25 Things You Should Know Before Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.