Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,771 members, 7,827,848 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:53 PM

Ikwerre Of Rivers, Ukwani And Ika Of Delta Are Not Igbo. Here Is Proof - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ikwerre Of Rivers, Ukwani And Ika Of Delta Are Not Igbo. Here Is Proof (6563 Views)

Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It / Are Aniomas And Ikwerres Igbo?here Is A Geographic Fact . / Igbo:here's Why There Is A Possibility That This Tribe Is From Israel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ikwerre Of Rivers, Ukwani And Ika Of Delta Are Not Igbo. Here Is Proof by bigfrancis21: 4:56am On Oct 16, 2018
pazienza:
Ikwerre is Ikwerre. Ikwerre is not Igbo.

Can this argument end already?

The OP and people like him open threads like it because they enjoy the back and forth argument.

Like you mentioned, I don't see why some Igbos argue over sub-tribes like Ikwerre, Ukwuani and Ika. If they want to be minority tribes, so be it. We have moved on since the last 48 years after the civil war without them really. Why the worry? Should we find ourselves in a different country from theirs tomorrow, at least Igboid-speaking peoples would be said then to be natively spread out across 3 different countries (including Equatorial Guinea).

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ikwerre Of Rivers, Ukwani And Ika Of Delta Are Not Igbo. Here Is Proof by bigfrancis21: 5:31am On Oct 16, 2018
morpheus24:

Look up the "definition" of what a tribe is and come back and read my responses again, simply because you understand the "meaning" of the word in its contemporary use, doesn't mean it cannot be argued to mean something else based on the "definition" of the word.

If I am making you think too hard then just forget about it, it means you like things simple. There is a reason I used the word "technically" in the earlier statement I made but please let's not go off topic.

Keep telling us how you "know " for sure that Ikwerre are not Igbo.

My brother, I've told viscerion to define for us here what makes one Igbo or not. He stylishly ignored my question. Many of the modern generation denying being Igbo have no idea of how things used to be in the past nor can they tell us what being Igbo means, what defines one as Igbo (if common ancestry or a common language, etc.). Back in the 1600s to late 1800s, nobody was directly called Igbo. Igboid speaking peoples identified with the name of their sub-tribe instead. An owerri man would tell you he is owerri, not Igbo. An onitsha man would tell you he is onitsha, an awka man would say the same, an mbaise man would say the same. There was no collective 'igbo' identity even up till the early to mid 1900s. It was also reported that Igbo slaves sold to the new world, upon arrival, were surprised to be called 'ibo'. Many had never heard of the name before and when asked where they were from, they mentioned the names of their respective sub-tribes instead. Slave ship manifest obtained for slaves arriving from the bight of biafra had them listing their tribes with many names such as 'aqoqua' (akokwa), 'isigue' (isigwe), 'oquella' (okwelle), 'aechee' (etche) etc. Back within Igboland, we did not see ourselves as one. Onitsha saw themselves different from Obosi. Mbaise different from Mbano. The British came along and noticed that we just speak variants (dialects) of the same language and Igbo was used to collectively refer to all bia-speaking peoples who have a concept of 'chi' as God. In terms of origin, we have different origins as lot of migrations took place in the past and thus the very basis of an Igbo identity/being an Igbo was based on linguistic and cultural identification. Being an Igbo doesn't stop an Awka or Owerri or Ezza man from being their sub-tribe first, before being Igbo. An Awka man is an Awka person and Igbo as well. An Owerri man is Owerri and Igbo as well. An Ikwerre who accepts being Igbo is an Ikwerre and Igbo as well. Being Igbo doesn't wipe nor stop you from being Ikwerre, you still maintain that sub-tribe name just as the ngwa, obosi, awka, mbano, igbuzo etc. person still maintains their sub-tribal name and are also Igbo. Some Igbo sub-tribes have had no problems accepting this wider ethnic group name and some, till today, have an issue with accepting the name and that is fine. Everyone has a right to self-identity to identify as what they want.

I've also noticed that some people on NL here barely know the difference between a dialect (a variation of a greater language) and a language itself (standalone language of its own). Igbo is a language, Yoruba is a language, Hausa is a language. Within a language, there are often variations/differences in words, pronunciations, inflections etc and these naturally occurring differences give rise to 'dialects' with a language. Nigerian Pidgin English is a language of its own and there are several dialects - warri dialect, Lagos dialect, PH dialect, Bayelsa dialect, SE dialect etc (each dialect is laced with local words from its area that makes it slightly different). Thus, Ibibio, Efik, Oron, Annang etc. are linguistically variants (dialects) of each other but politically they see themselves as different. Linguistically, however, they are all considered as dialects of each other.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ikwerre Of Rivers, Ukwani And Ika Of Delta Are Not Igbo. Here Is Proof by viscerion: 8:57am On Oct 16, 2018
bigfrancis21:

My brother, I've told viscerion to define for us here what makes one Igbo or not. He stylishly ignored my question. Many of the modern generation denying being Igbo have no idea of how things used to be in the past nor can they tell us what being Igbo means, what defines one as Igbo (if common ancestry or a common language, etc.). Back in the 1600s to late 1800s, nobody was directly called Igbo. Igboid speaking peoples identified with the name of their sub-tribe instead. An owerri man would tell you he is owerri, not Igbo. An onitsha man would tell you he is onitsha, an awka man would say the same, an mbaise man would say the same. There was no collective 'igbo' identity even up till the early to mid 1900s. It was also reported that Igbo slaves sold to the new world, upon arrival, were surprised to be called 'ibo'. Many had never heard of the name before and when asked where they were from, they mentioned the names of their respective sub-tribes instead. Slave ship manifest obtained for slaves arriving from the bight of biafra had them listing their tribes with many names such as 'aqoqua' (akokwa), 'isigue' (isigwe), 'oquella' (okwelle), 'aechee' (etche) etc. Back within Igboland, we did not see ourselves as one. Onitsha saw themselves different from Obosi. Mbaise different from Mbano. The British came along and noticed that we just speak variants (dialects) of the same language and Igbo was used to collectively refer to all bia-speaking peoples who have a concept of 'chi' as God. In terms of origin, we have different origins as lot of migrations took place in the past and thus the very basis of an Igbo identity/being an Igbo was based on linguistic and cultural identification. Being an Igbo doesn't stop an Awka or Owerri or Ezza man from being their sub-tribe first, before being Igbo. An Awka man is an Awka person and Igbo as well. An Owerri man is Owerri and Igbo as well. An Ikwerre who accepts being Igbo is an Ikwerre and Igbo as well. Being Igbo doesn't wipe nor stop you from being Ikwerre, you still maintain that sub-tribe name just as the ngwa, obosi, awka, mbano, igbuzo etc. person still maintains their sub-tribal name and are also Igbo. Some Igbo sub-tribes have had no problems accepting this wider ethnic group name and some, till today, have an issue with accepting the name and that is fine. Everyone has a right to self-identity to identify as what they want.

I've also noticed that some people on NL here barely know the difference between a dialect (a variation of a greater language) and a language itself (standalone language of its own). Igbo is a language, Yoruba is a language, Hausa is a language. Within a language, there are often variations/differences in words, pronunciations, inflections etc and these naturally occurring differences give rise to 'dialects' with a language. Nigerian Pidgin English is a language of its own and there are several dialects - warri dialect, Lagos dialect, PH dialect, Bayelsa dialect, SE dialect etc (each dialect is laced with local words from its area that makes it slightly different). Thus, Ibibio, Efik, Oron, Annang etc. are linguistically variants (dialects) of each other but politically they see themselves as different. Linguistically, however, they are all considered as dialects of each other.

ibibio n annang n oron r not diff dialects, they r diff tribes i wud know cuz im from akwa ibom, oron LGA. i know quite well d diff btw a language n a dialect, ibibio has its diff dialect, oron has its diff dialect

now to ur question dat ive been 'dodging' well since ibibio n annang despite similarities stand as diff tribes, while izon n kalabari which are far diff from each other decided to stand as same ijaw tribe, i guess the tribe of a pepi can actually b based on their decision to belong or not, thats my point, not based on language, or origins or culture, but by conviction,

i know someone will say "so if as an igbo man, my son decides hes no longer igbo, will dat automatically change his igbo status?" well remember that we all come from one place but since we no longer call ourselves jews, den overtime that boy's descendants can stand as a diff tribe

in the first place, igbo dont even have any strong proof dat ikwerre originated from igbo, only deir mumu logic of " if they speak igbo, they are igbo" come to SS and see that kind of logic fail

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ikwerre Of Rivers, Ukwani And Ika Of Delta Are Not Igbo. Here Is Proof by Chinachriss(m): 11:57am On Oct 16, 2018
viscerion:

ibibio n annang n oron r not diff dialects, they r diff tribes i wud know cuz im from akwa ibom, oron LGA. i know quite well d diff btw a language n a dialect, ibibio has its diff dialect, oron has its diff dialect

now to ur question dat ive been 'dodging' well since ibibio n annang despite similarities stand as diff tribes, while izon n kalabari which are far diff from each other decided to stand as same ijaw tribe, i guess the tribe of a pepi can actually b based on their decision to belong or not, thats my point, not based on language, or origins or culture, but by conviction,

i know someone will say "so if as an igbo man, my son decides hes no longer igbo, will dat automatically change his igbo status?" well remember that we all come from one place but since we no longer call ourselves jews, den overtime that boy's descendants can stand as a diff tribe

in the first place, igbo dont even have any strong proof dat ikwerre originated from igbo, only deir mumu logic of " if they speak igbo, they are igbo" come to SS and see that kind of logic fail
Oron people sha. Una bitterness as per politics in Akwa Ibom won't allow you guys to see Ibibios and Annangs as brothers. I schooled in Akwa Ibom, University of Uyo precisely and I know very much about Akwa Ibom and her peoples. If not for una divisiveness, you guys would have been the fourth largest ethnic group in Nigeria but cheap politics won't let you guys be.

An average Oron man understands Ibibio, Efik, Ekid and Annang. Other groups understand themselves too but Oron is a bit difficult for them. You guys are one indivisible people.

Just like Annang, Ibibio, Efik, Ekid and Oron are mutually intelligible to each so are various Igbo dialects.

I'm from Mbano. My mum is from Ngwa. These two dialects are somewhat different but understable.

The dialects too difficult for me to understand are Ebonyi group of languages. Their Igbo is ebelebe. But I understand Ishiagu, Ohaozara and Ivo dialects cos I have good friends from there.

Having stayed in Port Harcourt, Ikwerre is even simpler when compared to Ezza, Izzi and Edda dialects. I still have a smattering understanding when they speak slowly.

All of us still understand the central Igbo. In fact, I can't even speak my own Mbano dialect very well. I speak Ngwa to an extent cos mum speaks it often.

What am I trying to say? Igbo people know themselves. You from Akwa Ibom cannot come and tell us who we are. Better stick to your Oron.

Ikwerres can go on being a separate group. We don't care. They should stop bearing Igbo names if not the Igbo tags will still follow them.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ikwerre Of Rivers, Ukwani And Ika Of Delta Are Not Igbo. Here Is Proof by Chinachriss(m): 12:12pm On Oct 16, 2018
viscerion:

You're not even from Ikwerre and you're championing Igbo matter like this. Smh. It proves one thing, you are bitter. I won't say Oron guys are all bitter cos I have wonderful friends from Oron who are reasonable and see people as humans and not as divided along ethnic lines.

You're just jealous of the Igbos . Even in your state, Igbos are dominating commerce-wise. Majority of the supermarkets in Uyo are owned by Igbo people especially Anambra people. Go to Akpanandem, Itam, Igbos are running things there.

You guys don't even have concentrated storeyed buildings. Bungalows everywhere. Kikiki. Come to Aba. My street along Faulks Road has more than one hundred storeyed buildings: Two, three, four, five. Not to talk of thousands of streets in Aba that are swamped with storeyed buildings. If not for roads, stadium, what else does Uyo have to offer?

Most of the bread you guys eat come from Aba. Your people will always swarm like bees to Ariaria, Shopping Centre, Ahia Ohuru etc to buy goods. Una no de shame?

Only what you guys are good at is politics and office jobs. No wonder political crisis has ravaged your state.

Most of your people that are doing well are those that left Akwa Ibom to other states. The bunch in Akwa Ibom are at most tribal, indolent and undereducated folks.

Grow up man!

Lemme add this:

Mention five persons, just five persons from Oron that are renowned globally.

Just five. Dont mention Ibibio, Efik or Annang people cos I will burst. You will then realise how inconsequential Oron folks are. Why uou should understand why Igbos always stress on 'Igwebuike' ' There's power in number.

If not for oil, you guys would have been minus one. Just manage zero.

Because you see Igbos and Yorubas measuring dicks here, you think your people fit, just shut the trap and manage your minorities seats. Igbos are not your mate. Nansense!

Chai, Igbo don suffer ehh.!

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre Of Rivers, Ukwani And Ika Of Delta Are Not Igbo. Here Is Proof by Chinachriss(m): 12:41pm On Oct 16, 2018
This is just a section of Aba South LGA. Can you see the storeyed landscape. Ngwa post Uyo own osiso. wink wink wink

Re: Ikwerre Of Rivers, Ukwani And Ika Of Delta Are Not Igbo. Here Is Proof by viscerion: 3:56pm On Oct 16, 2018
Chinachriss:
This is just a section of Aba South LGA. Can you see the storeyed landscape. Ngwa post Uyo own osiso. wink wink wink

as you can see im not trying to create division, even as oron n ibibio r diff tribes, they r as close as pepo of same tribe. Im not trying to seperate igbos from ikwerres, i love igbos, i just to let some people know that u should always to claim youre always correct just cuz u dont understand the logic behind something, im explaining how ikwerres r not igbos, its for ur own educative good, if it were in south south, people would laugh bout many of the points u guyz r giving

well! to chinachriss,

1. my mum is from obio akpor and ive lived in PH, so im as much ikwerre as can be

2. FOR THE ONE BILLIONTH TIME, I KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A TRIBE AND A DIALECT, AND AGAIN, SAME LANGUAGE DOESNT MEAN SAME TRIBE

3. why will I be jealous n bitter of Igbo?, I admire them alot bcuz der are amazing people, though second only to my SS people. so u pepo sud stop falling igbo hand by saying nonsense

4. oron are minus, ikwerre r minus, SS minorities r minus, yet the nation was n continues to be feed by the resources of these minorities, despite strong marginalisation these minorities r shining for their small population, again these minorities have the best cities in any region wit d likes of Port harcourt, Calabar, Warri, Benin, Uyo even Asaba is feed by oil money from des minors, any region dat feels they can challenge the south south sud signify n we'll do 1 on 1 comparism
Re: Ikwerre Of Rivers, Ukwani And Ika Of Delta Are Not Igbo. Here Is Proof by viscerion: 3:59pm On Oct 16, 2018
Chinachriss:

if you want to see Uyo and Other SS cities, click this link

https://www.nairaland.com/4236912/south-south-developed-lagos-abuja

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ikwerre Of Rivers, Ukwani And Ika Of Delta Are Not Igbo. Here Is Proof by Chinachriss(m): 4:44pm On Oct 16, 2018
viscerion:

as you can see im not trying to create division, even as oron n ibibio r diff tribes, they r as close as pepo of same tribe. Im not trying to seperate igbos from ikwerres, i love igbos, i just to let some people know that u should always to claim youre always correct just cuz u dont understand the logic behind something, im explaining how ikwerres r not igbos, its for ur own educative good, if it were in south south, people would laugh bout many of the points u guyz r giving

well! to chinachriss,

1. my mum is from obio akpor and ive lived in PH, so im as much ikwerre as can be

2. FOR THE ONE BILLIONTH TIME, I KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A TRIBE AND A DIALECT, AND AGAIN, SAME LANGUAGE DOESNT MEAN SAME TRIBE

3. why will I be jealous n bitter of Igbo?, I admire them alot bcuz der are amazing people, though second only to my SS people. so u pepo sud stop falling igbo hand by saying nonsense

4. oron are minus, ikwerre r minus, SS minorities r minus, yet the nation was n continues to be feed by the resources of these minorities, despite strong marginalisation these minorities r shining for their small population, again these minorities have the best cities in any region wit d likes of Port harcourt, Calabar, Warri, Benin, Uyo even Asaba is feed by oil money from des minors, any region dat feels they can challenge the south south sud signify n we'll do 1 on 1 comparism

Mention five prominent people from Oron. Leave Cities. Can you post your village photos. The last time I came to Udung Uko in Oron, Chineke mee! I wept. I saw first class poverty. Mud mud houses everywhere. If I post my Mbano village here ee, you will understand how Igbos have taken it to another heights.

Even in all of una cities, Most landlords are Igbos. Biko, leave us alone ooo.
Re: Ikwerre Of Rivers, Ukwani And Ika Of Delta Are Not Igbo. Here Is Proof by morpheus24: 4:57pm On Oct 16, 2018
viscerion:

Still dancing around with semantics here. ''if the genealogical, cultural, linguistic and etymological tests fail to show that two people are of the same stock, there is one undeniable test that will resolve the issue.

Your people know what to do to shut these "lieing" Igbos up once and for all.

Ancestry.com and 23andMe is your friend, una get community for abroad that can afford the test. Please advocate for that

And this goes for the rest of the so called Anioma peoples, una people full for abroad, make una do the needful, otherwise all your lamenting na political manueavers.
Re: Ikwerre Of Rivers, Ukwani And Ika Of Delta Are Not Igbo. Here Is Proof by magicjack: 6:36pm On Oct 16, 2018
morpheus24:

Still dancing around with semantics here. ''if the genealogical, cultural, linguistic and etymological tests fail to show that two people are of the same stock, there is one undeniable test that will resolve the issue.

Ancestry.com and 23andMe is your friend, una get community for abroad that can afford the test. Please advocate for that

And this goes for the rest of the so called Anioma peoples, una people full for abroad, make una do the needful, otherwise all your lamenting na political manueavers.

we don do test already, if you nor believe go rock transformer
Re: Ikwerre Of Rivers, Ukwani And Ika Of Delta Are Not Igbo. Here Is Proof by magicjack: 6:40pm On Oct 16, 2018
Chinachriss:

Mention five prominent people from Oron. Leave Cities. Can you post your village photos. The last time I came to Udung Uko in Oron, Chineke mee! I wept. I saw first class poverty. Mud mud houses everywhere. If I post my Mbano village here ee, you will understand how Igbos have taken it to another heights.

Even in all of una cities, Most landlords are Igbos. Biko, leave us alone ooo.

so there r no mud houses anywhere in d east, i dont know who u think is being deceived by this nonsense, i doubt ure even Igbo, if u r den ur a shame to ur tribe, and who told it is Igbo landlords that are much in SS cities, you think its like Lagos? the SS is diff ball game, Benin, Warri, Port harcourt, Calabar non are dominated by Igbos

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ikwerre Of Rivers, Ukwani And Ika Of Delta Are Not Igbo. Here Is Proof by morpheus24: 6:46pm On Oct 16, 2018
magicjack:

we don do test already, if you nor believe go rock transformer

Another Fabrication.
Re: Ikwerre Of Rivers, Ukwani And Ika Of Delta Are Not Igbo. Here Is Proof by viscerion: 7:00pm On Oct 16, 2018
morpheus24:

our definition of a tribe is not based on those test criterias, if it were so all SS wud probably be same tribe but its not so

why do people always talk of history so confidently as if they were actually there when these things were happening, even the bible, The great word of God, has been shown that due to writing style of the authors of the diff books and lots of translactions has some reportive errors in telling events, thats THE BIBLE, not to talk of what was writing by one oyibo tourist who probably just wrote what he FELT, n all of us swallow it as unquestionable fact, wat a shame

our elders should organize massive DNA test just to convince you, bcus u r so important that we care what you believe, mtcheew
Re: Ikwerre Of Rivers, Ukwani And Ika Of Delta Are Not Igbo. Here Is Proof by viscerion: 7:13pm On Oct 16, 2018
magicjack:

so there r no mud houses anywhere in d east, i dont know who u think is being deceived by this nonsense, i doubt ure even Igbo, if u r den ur a shame to ur tribe, and who told it is Igbo landlords that are much in SS cities, you think its like Lagos? the SS is diff ball game, Benin, Warri, Port harcourt, Calabar non are dominated by Igbos

no all the villages in SE ve skyscrappers n subways, as if they are not lots of poverty stricken places in every region, in every state in dis country, I think aba is even a city not a village, if I bring akwaibom cities ehn, lets not go there

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre Of Rivers, Ukwani And Ika Of Delta Are Not Igbo. Here Is Proof by morpheus24: 7:35pm On Oct 16, 2018
viscerion:

our definition of a tribe is not based on those test criterias, if it were so all SS wud probably be same tribe but its not so

why do people always talk of history so confidently as if they were actually there when these things were happening, even the bible, The great word of God, has been shown that due to writing style of the authors of the diff books and lots of translactions has some reportive errors in telling events, thats THE BIBLE, not to talk of what was writing by one oyibo tourist who probably just wrote what he FELT, n all of us swallow it as unquestionable fact, wat a shame

1.The whole bible analogy doesn't make sense to me on first read, maybe I need to dissect it a little slower.

2. If you are refuting what was studied or postulated by writers and linguists of early times then that's fair enough, they might have been wrong since they have incorrectly placed certain groups together based on similar languages but then what is the premise or base of refutation. The inference they make is based on a correlation of language, ethnicity culture and ergo a possible founder population. They didn't say that they were 100% accurate, only that the confidence intervals were high based on correlation.

In logic correlation does not imply causation , therefore if two groups share similar languages, similar customs and near proximity, the probabilities that they are of the same stock can be high but not necessarily a cause of emanating from a source or founder population.

Fast forward to present day where DNA is able to ascertain with a 99.9% accuracy level if the Y-dtna, Mtdna or ATdna match when two populations are tested, to determine origins and VOILA!, problem solved.

viscerion:

our elders should organize massive DNA test just to convince you, bcus u r so important that we care what you believe, mtcheew

I contend that You have no sound arguments any longer and simply playing around for the sake of it. It will not take any massive DAN test case to come to certain conclusions, simply go to a small village in your area where it is likely that these populations have not intermingled with other ethnic groups in the sounding area, take a good sample of DNA, test and see what the results says in comparison to Igbo DNA,

If the sample size cluster with IJaw DNA then the founding populations of the Ikwerre most likely emanated from the IjAw nation, then you can come back as smack that report right in the face of these Igbos who continue to assert their cultural and linguistic dominance over you.

Do it for your people and your future generations so their heritage and origins are not based on lies and sentiments, don't do it for me o!
Re: Ikwerre Of Rivers, Ukwani And Ika Of Delta Are Not Igbo. Here Is Proof by Chinachriss(m): 7:50pm On Oct 16, 2018
magicjack:

Taa! Shatap! Just carry your ignoramus self out of my mention, you dingbat.
Yes, in my village, we have no mud houses. I can proudly toot my horn on that.

South South is no different ball game anything. Igbo landlords are everywhere. In our street along Aka road when I was in Uyo, the best duplex there is owned by an Anambra. It was a huge contrast. More like a fine giant bird in the midst of vultures.

I don't have your time biko. Zuzupu!

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre Of Rivers, Ukwani And Ika Of Delta Are Not Igbo. Here Is Proof by Chinachriss(m): 7:55pm On Oct 16, 2018
viscerion:

no all the villages in SE ve skyscrappers n subways, as if they are not lots of poverty stricken places in every region, in every state in dis country, I think aba is even a city not a village, if I bring akwaibom cities ehn, lets not go there

Which Akwa Ibom cities?
Apart from Uyo, others are glorified towns.

Is it Ikot Ekpene or Abak or Eket or Oron? Kikiki

Just visit Abriba and Ohafia villages in Abia and see mansions.

Ditto is to many villages in Mbano, Orlu and Mbaise.
I don't want to mention Anambra.
Re: Ikwerre Of Rivers, Ukwani And Ika Of Delta Are Not Igbo. Here Is Proof by viscerion: 11:00pm On Oct 16, 2018
Chinachriss:

Taa! Shatap! Just carry your ignoramus self out of my mention, you dingbat.
Yes, in my village, we have no mud houses. I can proudly toot my horn on that.

South South is no different ball game anything. Igbo landlords are everywhere. In our street along Aka road when I was in Uyo, the best duplex there is owned by an Anambra. It was a huge contrast. More like a fine giant bird in the midst of vultures.

I don't have your time biko. Zuzupu!

did u see dis link

https://www.nairaland.com/4236912/south-south-developed-lagos-abuja

as igbo landlords are everywhere, so are SS landlords, you cannot compare the buildings or development in SE to SS at all, n uyo was not developed by Igbo but by akwa ibom oil, any rich Igbo man in uyo was also feed by akwa ibom oil

unlike in Lagos, the indigences of SS have strong control of trade businesses in their land
Re: Ikwerre Of Rivers, Ukwani And Ika Of Delta Are Not Igbo. Here Is Proof by viscerion: 11:02pm On Oct 16, 2018
Chinachriss:

Which Akwa Ibom cities?
Apart from Uyo, others are glorified towns.

Is it Ikot Ekpene or Abak or Eket or Oron? Kikiki

Just visit Abriba and Ohafia villages in Abia and see mansions.

Ditto is to many villages in Mbano, Orlu and Mbaise.
I don't want to mention Anambra.

yet uyo beats aba, ikot ekpene beats umuahia, oron n eket r dopest. if u doubt me check dat link to see akwa ibom
Re: Ikwerre Of Rivers, Ukwani And Ika Of Delta Are Not Igbo. Here Is Proof by ChinenyeN(m): 2:50am On Oct 17, 2018
You guys are still arguing over Ikwerre, Ika, etc. You people honestly don't even get it. No one wants to be a 'sub-tribe'. The moment you get that through your skulls and the moment you realize that it doesn't matter how you try to explain it, is the moment you will find peace with the matter.

Sub-tribe for what?

3 Likes

Re: Ikwerre Of Rivers, Ukwani And Ika Of Delta Are Not Igbo. Here Is Proof by morpheus24: 4:43am On Oct 17, 2018
ChinenyeN:
You guys are still arguing over Ikwerre, Ika, etc. You people honestly don't even get it. No one wants to be a 'sub-tribe'. The moment you get that through your skulls and the moment you realize that it doesn't matter how you try to explain it, is the moment you will find peace with the matter.

Sub-tribe for what?

There is nothing such as a sub-tribe, that denotes something on the top and something below. As a Historian and future anthropologist with a love for the continent, What is important for me is not the socio-political arguement or the right to self determination. It is the possible lies and fabrications that emanate out of the desire to self determine, as I have said before, a history or self determination based on lies is a lie in and of itself no matter any which way one seeks to twist it.

It will be dis-ingenious and a great wrong to build generations of Ikwerre identities on the basis of lies. Self determine all you want but please build it on solid information and not on possible fabrications.

If Ikwerre emanates from a founder "igbo" population please verify such information and move on with your self determination, if they emanate from a founder Ijaw or Edo group then please verify. If they are a hybrid of two peoples that became one then verify. STOP THE LIES!

Tell them to take DNA test make them know who their PAPA and MAMA be!

Shikena

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre Of Rivers, Ukwani And Ika Of Delta Are Not Igbo. Here Is Proof by ariesbull: 9:33am On Oct 18, 2018
Ekinematics:

Igbos indigenes in Bonny?
Nothing I no go read for this nairaland.

Oh don't you know ?

Chinachriss:

Oron people sha. Una bitterness as per politics in Akwa Ibom won't allow you guys to see Ibibios and Annangs as brothers. I schooled in Akwa Ibom, University of Uyo precisely and I know very much about Akwa Ibom and her peoples. If not for una divisiveness, you guys would have been the fourth largest ethnic group in Nigeria but cheap politics won't let you guys be.

An average Oron man understands Ibibio, Efik, Ekid and Annang. Other groups understand themselves too but Oron is a bit difficult for them. You guys are one indivisible people.

Just like Annang, Ibibio, Efik, Ekid and Oron are mutually intelligible to each so are various Igbo dialects.

I'm from Mbano. My mum is from Ngwa. These two dialects are somewhat different but understable.

The dialects too difficult for me to understand are Ebonyi group of languages. Their Igbo is ebelebe. But I understand Ishiagu, Ohaozara and Ivo dialects cos I have good friends from there.

Having stayed in Port Harcourt, Ikwerre is even simpler when compared to Ezza, Izzi and Edda dialects. I still have a smattering understanding when they speak slowly.

All of us still understand the central Igbo. In fact, I can't even speak my own Mbano dialect very well. I speak Ngwa to an extent cos mum speaks it often.

What am I trying to say? Igbo people know themselves. You from Akwa Ibom cannot come and tell us who we are. Better stick to your Oron.

Ikwerres can go on being a separate group. We don't care. They should stop bearing Igbo names if not the Igbo tags will still follow them.

Right

Chinachriss:

You're not even from Ikwerre and you're championing Igbo matter like this. Smh. It proves one thing, you are bitter. I won't say Oron guys are all bitter cos I have wonderful friends from Oron who are reasonable and see people as humans and not as divided along ethnic lines.

You're just jealous of the Igbos . Even in your state, Igbos are dominating commerce-wise. Majority of the supermarkets in Uyo are owned by Igbo people especially Anambra people. Go to Akpanandem, Itam, Igbos are running things there.

You guys don't even have concentrated storeyed buildings. Bungalows everywhere. Kikiki. Come to Aba. My street along Faulks Road has more than one hundred storeyed buildings: Two, three, four, five. Not to talk of thousands of streets in Aba that are swamped with storeyed buildings. If not for roads, stadium, what else does Uyo have to offer?

Most of the bread you guys eat come from Aba. Your people will always swarm like bees to Ariaria, Shopping Centre, Ahia Ohuru etc to buy goods. Una no de shame?

Only what you guys are good at is politics and office jobs. No wonder political crisis has ravaged your state.

Most of your people that are doing well are those that left Akwa Ibom to other states. The bunch in Akwa Ibom are at most tribal, indolent and undereducated folks.

Grow up man!

Lemme add this:

Mention five persons, just five persons from Oron that are renowned globally.

Just five. Dont mention Ibibio, Efik or Annang people cos I will burst. You will then realise how inconsequential Oron folks are. Why uou should understand why Igbos always stress on 'Igwebuike' ' There's power in number.

If not for oil, you guys would have been minus one. Just manage zero.

Because you see Igbos and Yorubas measuring dicks here, you think your people fit, just shut the trap and manage your minorities seats. Igbos are not your mate. Nansense!

Chai, Igbo don suffer ehh.!

grin grin grin

.chefuo onye ahu...it's like a butterfly thag assumes that he is a bird

viscerion:

well! to chinachriss,

It's the work of the minority to feed the majority....that's nature and how it is and there is nothing to do about it

But wait a minute we all see Efik, Ibibio , ikom , oron etc as same

But why do they detest oron and why is Efik supreme amongst them all ...
Re: Ikwerre Of Rivers, Ukwani And Ika Of Delta Are Not Igbo. Here Is Proof by ChinenyeN(m): 1:09pm On Oct 18, 2018
morpheus24, you're still not getting it. At this point right now, it doesn't matter what will be disingenuous or wrong. The seeds sown post-civil war have germinated. It is too late to be stressing over that. All that matters now is the sentiment, because that is what it is now reduced to. No one wants to be a subgroup. It doesn't matter how you try to explain it. Even I cringe a bit seeing "Ngwa-Igbo". Why does the "Igbo" part HAVE be there? So, leave them to their sentiments. Sentiment is something that exists irrespective of truths or facts. Give up. They are not your headache.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ikwerre Of Rivers, Ukwani And Ika Of Delta Are Not Igbo. Here Is Proof by RedboneSmith(m): 2:31pm On Oct 18, 2018
ChinenyeN:
morpheus24, you're still not getting it. At this point right now, it doesn't matter what will be disingenuous or wrong. The seeds sown post-civil war have germinated. It is too late to be stressing over that. All that matters now is the sentiment, because that is what it is now reduced to. No one wants to be a subgroup. It doesn't matter how you try to explain it. Even I cringe a bit seeing "Ngwa-Igbo". Why does the "Igbo" part HAVE be there? So, leave them to their sentiments. Sentiment is something that exists irrespective of truths or facts. Give up. They are not your headache.

Oh. So I am not the only one that dislikes the hyphenated thing we do with Igbo groups. That thing just comes across to me as trying too hard. No one writes Zulu-Nguni or Asante-Akan or Alsatian-German.

Grammatically it is even confusing. It suggests that one is talking about two things that are actually distinct, but treated as a unit in that particular context. Like Sino-Japanese, Graeco-Roman, German-American, Afro-Arab.

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre Of Rivers, Ukwani And Ika Of Delta Are Not Igbo. Here Is Proof by ChinenyeN(m): 3:22pm On Oct 18, 2018
RedboneSmith, the hyphenation has been one of my biggest pet peeves for so long. I say that I cringe a little, but internally, I am scratching at my insides. Granted, I have never been one to subscribe 100% to the ethnic pan-Igbo identity, so that might play a role. I prefer to simply just read "Ngwa" without the unnecessarily, overbearing attached "Igbo".

Notwithstanding, I have never understood the hyphen in and of itself. The only way it makes sense to me is if we take Igbo paranoia into consideration. I have been saying it for years now that post-civil war Igbo people have borderline paranoia over Igbohood. It's what I call the "Igbo bu Igbo" or the "Igbo bu otu" knee-jerk reaction that rears its head even over the slightest provocation of anything that can be remotely [mis]interpreted as "lack of (or threat to) unity".

But that aside, yes, I agree. It comes across as trying too hard.
Re: Ikwerre Of Rivers, Ukwani And Ika Of Delta Are Not Igbo. Here Is Proof by morpheus24: 3:50pm On Oct 18, 2018
ChinenyeN:

I can't give up my dear, it is my job to dig the truth out regardless of sentiment and discourse is absolutely necessary. Think if distortions of history were left to remain as is, how that would affect history today. I can't accept "lies". That's just how I am wired.

My audience is not necessarily Viscerion and his ilk but a wider array of different minds and thinkers which nairaland offers, I would like to believe there are level headed people involved in this issue who would consider some of the things being put forward to advance the truth.

My opinion

As regards the hyphenations, well depends on the motive for the use of the hyphenation.

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre Of Rivers, Ukwani And Ika Of Delta Are Not Igbo. Here Is Proof by morpheus24: 3:53pm On Oct 18, 2018
RedboneSmith:

Oh. So I am not the only one that dislikes the hyphenated thing we do with Igbo groups. That thing just comes across to me as trying too hard. No one writes Zulu-Nguni or Asante-Akan or Alsatian-German.

Grammatically it is even confusing. It suggests that one is talking about two things that are actually distinct, but treated as a unit in that particular context. Like Sino-Japanese, Graeco-Roman, German-American, Afro-Arab.

It may be confusing grammatically but it does relate two things that have some sort of linear relationship.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ikwerre Of Rivers, Ukwani And Ika Of Delta Are Not Igbo. Here Is Proof by Nobody: 12:12pm On Nov 09, 2018
Tushkito:

It doesn't matter what their origin states, this people have made it clear that they want nothing to do with the tag igbo, respect their choice and move on with life abeg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0-Nkk_I8eo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ikwerre Of Rivers, Ukwani And Ika Of Delta Are Not Igbo. Here Is Proof by jom28gy(m): 10:12pm On Nov 09, 2018
You no get talk

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Challenge To All Northerners: Educate Your People / Jesus! Igbos Existed Before Adam ? / Why Do Nigerians Lie And Say They Are From Another Country In Africa?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 168
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.