Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,440 members, 7,819,624 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:24 PM

Ireti Kingibe: MKO Abiola Abandoned My Husband - Kingibe’s Wife - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ireti Kingibe: MKO Abiola Abandoned My Husband - Kingibe’s Wife (18128 Views)

“I Don’t Want To Be Your Friend. Is It By Force?” – Wike Replies Ireti Kingibe / Ireti Kingibe: Peter Obi Tweets False Info About Abuja Senate Seat, Deletes It / Senator Ireti Kingibe Presents Her Certificate Of Return To Peter Obi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ireti Kingibe: MKO Abiola Abandoned My Husband - Kingibe’s Wife by Islie: 9:42pm On Oct 11, 2018
“In truth, Baba Kingibe only went to see Abiola and found out that Abiola had left the country. And when Abiola called from abroad, it was me he got,” she said. “Those days we had landlines. Baba (Kingibe) was not at home. I picked up the phone and he (Abiola) said to me in Yoruba that I should tell my husband that a bird does not tell another bird that a stone is coming. So, when Baba came back, I said Abiola called and this is the message he left for you."

Hajiya Ireti Kingibe, former wife of one-time Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Babagana Kingibe, has denied that her husband abandoned MKO Abiola at the height of the struggle to validate the result of the June 12 election.

After Buhari posthumously conferred the GCFR honour on MKO Abiola, Kingibe was widely criticised as undeserving of a similar honour because he allegedly abandoned Abiola when it mattered most.

But speaking in the current edition of The Interview magazine , Ireti Kingibe said that it was, in fact, Abiola who left her former husband in the cold.

In her first major interview 25 years after former military President, General Ibrahim Babangida, annulled the election, Ireti Kingibe said: “Whether Kingibe deserves national honors or not, if you are giving it to June 12, then he was part of it. But saying that he betrayed Abiola (I have nothing to gain from telling the truth), was unfair.

“Maybe a lot of people didn't see what he went through himself. He also did not care to make it public. Everybody says Kingibe betrayed Abiola, how? Nobody tells us. At least I haven't been told.

“In case, you want to know, it was a decision — and you can verify with Abiola's widows — it was a decision that they made collectively that not just Kingibe but remember they had Jakande and so many people from the Abiola/Kingibe camp in the government.

“They were under the misguided notion that Abacha was going to hand over to them. And really, as I have said over and over again, Kingibe is no longer my husband and I am under no obligation to say anything good about him. But I also do not believe in telling lies. And as I have said to many people in the past, they are all guilty of bad judgement and not bad will.”

Continuing, she said Abiola wasn’t comfortable enough around Kingibe but only had him as running mate because he needed Kingie to win votes.

“In truth, Baba Kingibe only went to see Abiola and found out that Abiola had left the country. And when Abiola called from abroad, it was me he got,” she said.

“Those days we had landlines. Baba (Kingibe) was not at home. I picked up the phone and he (Abiola) said to me in Yoruba that I should tell my husband that a bird does not tell another bird that a stone is coming. So, when Baba came back, I said Abiola called and this is the message he left for you.

“Baba said to me, ‘did he call to apologize?’ I said no, he did not call to apologize. He just gave an explanation or a rationalization for his action and this is what he said. He said ‘no, no! You didn't understand his Yoruba well.’ I said you can go and find out from anybody.”

Ireti Kingibe said Abiola ignored her husband’s advice to land in Kano because of the perception that was fast gaining ground that he was “a Yoruba president”.

She portrayed her husband as “a hostage” of the government of the former military head of state, General Sani Abacha, saying he was miserable throughout and only gained his freedom after Abacha’s death.

Saying she shared the family’s dilemma at the time with Nobel Laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka, she added, that, “It was either Kingibe would stay in Abacha’s government or Abacha was going to bury him alive.”

http://saharareporters.com/2018/10/11/mko-abiola-abandoned-my-husband-says-kingibe%E2%80%99s-wife

Re: Ireti Kingibe: MKO Abiola Abandoned My Husband - Kingibe’s Wife by Righteousness89(m): 9:47pm On Oct 11, 2018
The Dead cannot Respond!! If not, we would have asked Mko!

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ireti Kingibe: MKO Abiola Abandoned My Husband - Kingibe’s Wife by slivertongue: 2:20am On Oct 12, 2018
i dont care,its time 2dance atikulation.
MKO was misled into wasting his money, time &life after wat was neva going 2be

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ireti Kingibe: MKO Abiola Abandoned My Husband - Kingibe’s Wife by dokyOloye: 3:07am On Oct 12, 2018
So Abiola was in prison and abandoned your husband?
Abi na your husband wey dey outside abandon d imprisoned Abiola?

52 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ireti Kingibe: MKO Abiola Abandoned My Husband - Kingibe’s Wife by magoo10(m): 5:43am On Oct 12, 2018
Abiola is dead make una allow the dead

2 Likes

Re: Ireti Kingibe: MKO Abiola Abandoned My Husband - Kingibe’s Wife by sincerlyyo(m): 5:45am On Oct 12, 2018
No wonder you are divorced, house wrecker, saying nonsense.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ireti Kingibe: MKO Abiola Abandoned My Husband - Kingibe’s Wife by Throwback: 5:52am On Oct 12, 2018
Everything she said made sense.

They collectively agreed to work with Abacha with the hope that he would hand over power after taking it from the illegal interim government.

This expectation is what made Abiola tarry a while (including seeking foreign support) for 7months after Abacha's ascendency to power, before outrightly demanding to be recognized as the rightful president of Nigeria on the anniversary of June 12 in 1994.

Many ministers who made the mistake of joining the Abacha regime at the onset, were hostages who could not leave for fear of certain sorrow.

Olu Onagoruwa who dared to resign his portfolio as Minister of Justice, was rewarded by Abacha with the assassination of his son.

6 Likes

Re: Ireti Kingibe: MKO Abiola Abandoned My Husband - Kingibe’s Wife by Nobody: 9:55am On Oct 12, 2018
Hmmm
Re: Ireti Kingibe: MKO Abiola Abandoned My Husband - Kingibe’s Wife by Riversides2003(m): 9:56am On Oct 12, 2018
Wetin this woman Dey yarn so it’s poo. Kingibe is in the past, Atikulating is the present, join us Mrs Kingibe let’s Atikulate jare.Buhari is making Abacha look like a saint.

6 Likes

Re: Ireti Kingibe: MKO Abiola Abandoned My Husband - Kingibe’s Wife by eazyman(m): 9:58am On Oct 12, 2018
This is 2018...I don't know the essence of this epistle, I think its time to ATIKULATE better ideas that will help move Nigeria forward....

13 Likes

Re: Ireti Kingibe: MKO Abiola Abandoned My Husband - Kingibe’s Wife by Racoon(m): 9:58am On Oct 12, 2018
"..She portrayed her husband as “a hostage” of the government of the former military head of state, Gen. Sani Abacha, saying he was miserable throughout and only gained his freedom after Abacha’s death.

“It was either Kingibe would stay in Abacha’s govt.or Abacha was going to bury him alive.”

Can you see man inhumanity to man? Guess this woman is saying this because both MKO Abiola and Abacha are long dead.

Well, Abiola believed in the mandate Nigerians gave to him then but was foolish to believe that he will be diplomatic pending when the late Abacha will keep his words & hand over but alas he never did.

Meanwhile Kingibe & other traitor opted to serve Abacha government because they knew it may perhaps be a waste of time to wait endlessly.

Meanwhile that was when then NADECO members in the like of Tinubu, Enahoro, Fayemi, Shehu Sanni, Abraham Adesanya, Bola Ige,Sowere etc became more political active.

The events of the June-12 struggle will only be told the day all the betrayers voluntarily decide to confess the ignoble role they played therein. undecided

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ireti Kingibe: MKO Abiola Abandoned My Husband - Kingibe’s Wife by JailBreaker(m): 9:59am On Oct 12, 2018
k
Re: Ireti Kingibe: MKO Abiola Abandoned My Husband - Kingibe’s Wife by iammo(m): 9:59am On Oct 12, 2018
Past tense grin
Crisis and massacre in North Central
Boko haram killing our military in North East
Military General missing
27 trillion foreign debt
5million job loss
Every Commodity (rice,salt,cement etc) very expensive

This one is telling us crap about the past, aunty if you sef one contest just let us know. With all the crap former IGP spewed about Jonathan, he still didn't get APC ticket

1 Like

Re: Ireti Kingibe: MKO Abiola Abandoned My Husband - Kingibe’s Wife by Pentools(m): 9:59am On Oct 12, 2018
I don't freaking give a dime who's abandoned who. All I know n care about now is.....#Atikulate!!!

President Atiku from 2019.

4 Likes

Re: Ireti Kingibe: MKO Abiola Abandoned My Husband - Kingibe’s Wife by Nine11: 9:59am On Oct 12, 2018
K
Re: Ireti Kingibe: MKO Abiola Abandoned My Husband - Kingibe’s Wife by speedyGonzales: 10:00am On Oct 12, 2018
I don't care about this!

1 Like

Re: Ireti Kingibe: MKO Abiola Abandoned My Husband - Kingibe’s Wife by Jaradz: 10:00am On Oct 12, 2018
Nigerian Political Positions And Their Earnings

- Senator - N13.5 million running costs per month and N750,000 basic monthly salary.

- House of Rep. Member: N8.4million monthly running costs and N616K basic monthly salary.

- Minimum wage: N24,000.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ireti Kingibe: MKO Abiola Abandoned My Husband - Kingibe’s Wife by Nobody: 10:00am On Oct 12, 2018
So because abiola is dead,he can't defend himself

Re: Ireti Kingibe: MKO Abiola Abandoned My Husband - Kingibe’s Wife by QuiverBox(f): 10:01am On Oct 12, 2018
Why dont you allow Nigerians to Decide in 2019.

ogbonti:
here is ATIKU from the US senate report!

https://www.hsgac.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/FOREIGNCORRUPTIONREPORTFINAL710.pdf

even if you cannot read all the report, please pay attention closely to page 236, you will know PDP missed it big time nominating ATIKU, PDP should get someone ASAP else or else SAI BABA will be back in 2019. they (APC) have this report and they are only waiting until March next year when PDP will have no time to run fresh primaries, so they can run away with victory. Atiku knows he cannot win, so he went to PDP to dislodge any real opposition to Buhari. let us act now!!!! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ireti Kingibe: MKO Abiola Abandoned My Husband - Kingibe’s Wife by freeborn76(m): 10:02am On Oct 12, 2018
Just like Ojukwu abandoned Effiong. There are always two sides to every story...

2 Likes

Re: Ireti Kingibe: MKO Abiola Abandoned My Husband - Kingibe’s Wife by NaijaMutant(f): 10:04am On Oct 12, 2018
grin
Re: Ireti Kingibe: MKO Abiola Abandoned My Husband - Kingibe’s Wife by ogbonti: 10:04am On Oct 12, 2018
QuiverBox:
Why dont you allow Nigerians to Decide in 2019.

I want them to be well informed before they walk into a 4-year trap of no return. 4 years is too much a time to waste on a known thief like ATIKU!
Re: Ireti Kingibe: MKO Abiola Abandoned My Husband - Kingibe’s Wife by SEGLIZ: 10:05am On Oct 12, 2018
slivertongue:
i dont care,its time 2dance atikulation.
MKO was misled into wasting his money, time &life after wat was neva going 2be

reasonably it's obvious you are gullible, only a deaf would dance to no beat

1 Like

Re: Ireti Kingibe: MKO Abiola Abandoned My Husband - Kingibe’s Wife by bigtt76(f): 10:06am On Oct 12, 2018
".....a bird does not tell another bird that a stone is coming"

Classic ....more like "Bird nor de pursue stone" MKO na Baba shaaa ...sharpman grin but allowed greed to lure him back to his death undecided
Re: Ireti Kingibe: MKO Abiola Abandoned My Husband - Kingibe’s Wife by gazilion: 10:07am On Oct 12, 2018
Throwback:
Everything she said made sense.

They collectively agreed to work with Abacha with the hope that he would hand over power after taking it from the illegal interim government.

This expectation is what made Abiola tarry a while (including seeking foreign support) for 7months after Abacha's ascendency to power, before outrightly demanding to be recognized as the rightful president of Nigeria on the anniversary of June 12 in 1994.

Many ministers who made the mistake of joining the Abacha regime at the onset, where hostages who could not leave for fear of certain sorrow.

Olu Onagoruwa who dared to resign his portfolio as Minister of Justice, was reward by Abacha with the assassination of his son.

I think you are right because I could remember that MKO himself hobnobbed with Gen. Abacha in his early days in power believing that power would be transferred back to him. May be that was what made Olu Onagoruwa to accept the position in Abacha government to give it some form of credibility. However, when they realized Abacha was not playing the same music, it was too late for them to turn against him. General Abacha was really brutal! He dealt with NADECO and any form of opposition. He wore dark goggles even in the executive meetings and so you cannot read his mind. He was a maximum ruler!!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ireti Kingibe: MKO Abiola Abandoned My Husband - Kingibe’s Wife by SarkinYarki: 10:08am On Oct 12, 2018
I have always been in love with this woman because of her beauty

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Traders Pay ₦500 Prayer Levy At Ayangburen Market - Sabo Ikorodu, Lagos (Photo) / Service Chiefs Move To Sack Young Officers Considered Threats To Senior Officers / Lere Olayinka Replies Fayemi On Probe: 'Start Your Probe Now, We’re Not Afraid'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.