Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,231 members, 7,815,312 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:36 AM

Why It's Dumb To Assume That Igbos Cannot Dump PDP In 2019 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why It's Dumb To Assume That Igbos Cannot Dump PDP In 2019 (348 Views)

Adeseye Ogunlewe: Why The Igbos Cannot Produce President In 2023 / Why Igbos Cannot Accept That Fact That Igboland Is LANDLOCKED (evidence) / Rochas Okorocha: Igbos Cannot Make Presidency Alone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why It's Dumb To Assume That Igbos Cannot Dump PDP In 2019 by KratosCorp: 5:24pm On Oct 12, 2018
@UcheSecondus, first, I've explained why Atiku's VP must be an gbo person. Here's the thread: https://www.nairaland.com/4777116/pdp-atikus-vp-must-igbo

But, somehow, I hear that even someone as elderly as Bode George was asking the SE to concede the VP slot to SW so that SE can grab the presidency when ever it returns to the south. According to the report, his reason was that it will not be fair for the SE to produce VP and President back to back over a period of 16 years. This argument may sound valid on the surface, but it's nothing less than pure wickedness when you look at it closely.

For example, as I explained in my earlier thread, since the return to civil rule in 1999 (about 20 years ago) the south west has been given 8 years of presidency (in PDP) and 4 years of VP (in APC). This means that in the last 20 years, the SW alone has enjoyed 12 years of the topmost 2 positions in the country. All this while, the SE has not had a shot at either of the two. Now, if SE is to concede the VP slot to SW, that will automatically translate to SW having those two positions for 20 years (out of 28 years of civil rule) while the SE keeps waiting endlessly.

In other words, to Bode George, fairness means SW sticking to the highest levels of power for 20 years while the SE keeps waiting for the next elusive slot. How this sounds fair to anyone beats me.

Secondly, remember that Nigeria's official position on the civil war is "no victor no vanquished". . Yet, since after the civil war (about 40 years ago) Igbos have not had a shot at the presidency. The closest was the short-lived Ekwueme's VPship which was aborted by the head of the present admin and his then military friends. On the contrary, since after the war, the Yorubas have had the Obansanjo as both chief of staff and head of state. They also had the Oladipo Diyas of this world (who was virtually the VP to late Abacha). All these took place while the Igbos were not even an option for any of the top positions since the last 40 years. Yet, folks like George (in 2018) feels that a 16-year fast-tracked transition from VP to president is too much and unfair for igbos to have. Igbos totally disagree. And I believe PDP should too, othrwise PDP will lose the igbos NATIONWIDE. And this brings me to the 4 reasons why it is dumb to assume that igbos cannot dump PDP in 2019.

1) SE is the only region in the country that has both governors and national legislators from 3 diffrent parties. This is despite the fact that the region has the least number of states than all other regions. This should tell PDP something.

2) In the recently concluded Anambra gubernatorial election, APC got more votes (though with loads of irregularities) than PDP. This should be a warning sign to PDP.

3) Despite the Rochas' pettiness and intimidation of his fellow party members in Imo, they've refused to decamp but instead have chosen to fight it out both phisycally and legally. This should tell PDP something. And let's not go into the call for election boycott.

Here's the moral of my story: Whist the Igbos remain PDP's strongest supporters ever, it will be insane to take them for granted or ignorantly assume that they have no option.
Re: Why It's Dumb To Assume That Igbos Cannot Dump PDP In 2019 by fallout87: 5:25pm On Oct 12, 2018
I thought you guys dumped Nigeria for Biafra?

(1) (Reply)

Ayade Appeals To FG Over Deep Seaport, Superhighway…meets Steering Committee / BUHARI Pick Up Van Is Ready For Daura In 2019 / N6.9bn Fraud Charge: Court Grants Fayose Bail, Fixes November 19 For Trial

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.