Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,475 members, 7,816,120 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:45 AM

Commentator Addresses Peter Rufai As ‘Late’ During Libya Vs Nigeria - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Commentator Addresses Peter Rufai As ‘Late’ During Libya Vs Nigeria (27451 Views)

Libya Vs Nigeria: Super Eagles Arrive Taïeb M’hiri Stadium, Sfax, Tunisia (Pic) / Libya Vs Nigeria: AFCON Qualifiers - 2 - 3 (Full Time) / Peter Rufai's Car Bashed By American Embassy Officials Who Pursued Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Commentator Addresses Peter Rufai As ‘Late’ During Libya Vs Nigeria by robosky02(m): 1:13pm On Oct 17, 2018
Peter Rufai trends on Twitter Nigeria after commentator during Libya Vs Nigeria addressed him as ‘late’

Dodo Mayana was at the same time live on popular Lagos sports radio Brila FM covering the Super Eagles game.

While the Super Eagles of Nigeria were busy battling their Libyan counterparts on Tuesday, October 16 it was former Nigerian goalkeeper Peter Rufai that was trending on Twitter Nigeria.

During a game, one of the match commentators for the game on SuperSport addressed the former goalkeeper as ‘late’ sparking a huge Twitter reaction.

“Ok so the commentator actually said the Great Peter Rufai and not the late. Thank goodness,” @Ikwerreman wrote on Twitter.

“I just heard @SuperSportTV commentator said late Peter Rufai. Please don't use your mouth kill our legends oooo,” @danopejo said.

“Jesus!!!!! the Super Sport commentator don kill Rufai before him time ooo. I just heard him say the Late great Peter Rufai,” Twitter user @yemiTM442 said.

“I expect an unreserved apology from @SuperSportTV tomorrow morning for their commentator who said "Late Peter Rufai" when the man is alive and active,” @Deji_OoniAbj wrote.

“When Nigeria refuses to honor our Legends like other countries do theirs. It took a commentator calling Peter Rufai “Late” on supersports 9 for us to remember him.  Tragic,”  @Biimpeh wrote.

“I think the commentator is depressing and absent minded. Which one is "The late great Peter Rufai? Dodo mayana is not dead... I can't believe these rubbish commentary,” @youngichu wrote. 

“Dear Commentator, the great Peter Rufai aka Dodo Mayana is very much alive oh,”  @SegunThePundit wrote.

Rufai alive and well

» more The slip on Twitter generated many reactions on Twitter bringing the former goalkeeper to top of Twitter Nigeria trends  (Twitter)  
The slip on live TV generated enough comments on Twitter to to make the one-time Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) winner to trend on Twitter Nigeria.

Coincidentally, Dodo Mayana as he is fondly called was at the same time live on popular Lagos sports radio Brila FM covering the Super Eagles game.

“Dodo Mayana is live, Dodo Mayana is talking,” he said in a video clip recorded at the radio studio.

“Whoever that is talking, I rebuke you,” he added.

https://www.pulse.ng/sports/football/peter-rufai-trends-on-twitter-nigeria-during-libya-vs-nigeria-id8986441.html

1 Like

Re: Commentator Addresses Peter Rufai As ‘Late’ During Libya Vs Nigeria by BALLOSKI: 3:03pm On Oct 17, 2018
grin

This is how I want atikulate chantters to take baba for lifelessness - and him go just clear their doubt at the polls. Then , the cry go change to " buhari is too liveful to rule Nigeria".

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Commentator Addresses Peter Rufai As ‘Late’ During Libya Vs Nigeria by abrahambest(m): 3:03pm On Oct 17, 2018
lol
Re: Commentator Addresses Peter Rufai As ‘Late’ During Libya Vs Nigeria by utenwuson: 3:03pm On Oct 17, 2018
Na buhari the commentator mean......

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Commentator Addresses Peter Rufai As ‘Late’ During Libya Vs Nigeria by Nobody: 3:04pm On Oct 17, 2018
Village people o.

May the commentator dey hear from awon Iya Oshoronga.

2 Likes

Re: Commentator Addresses Peter Rufai As ‘Late’ During Libya Vs Nigeria by princemillla(m): 3:04pm On Oct 17, 2018
cheesy his manhood lives on cheesy

Slap the hell outa you

8 Likes

Re: Commentator Addresses Peter Rufai As ‘Late’ During Libya Vs Nigeria by Livefreeordieha(m): 3:04pm On Oct 17, 2018
robosky02:
Peter Rufai trends on Twitter Nigeria after commentator during Libya Vs Nigeria addressed him as ‘late’

Dodo Mayana was at the same time live on popular Lagos sports radio Brila FM covering the Super Eagles game.

While the Super Eagles of Nigeria were busy battling their Libyan counterparts on Tuesday, October 16 it was former Nigerian goalkeeper Peter Rufai that was trending on Twitter Nigeria.

During a game, one of the match commentators for the game on SuperSport addressed the former goalkeeper as ‘late’ sparking a huge Twitter reaction.

“Ok so the commentator actually said the Great Peter Rufai and not the late. Thank goodness,” @Ikwerreman wrote on Twitter.

“I just heard @SuperSportTV commentator said late Peter Rufai. Please don't use your mouth kill our legends oooo,” @danopejo said.

“Jesus!!!!! the Super Sport commentator don kill Rufai before him time ooo. I just heard him say the Late great Peter Rufai,” Twitter user @yemiTM442 said.

“I expect an unreserved apology from @SuperSportTV tomorrow morning for their commentator who said "Late Peter Rufai" when the man is alive and active,” @Deji_OoniAbj wrote.

“When Nigeria refuses to honor our Legends like other countries do theirs. It took a commentator calling Peter Rufai “Late” on supersports 9 for us to remember him.  Tragic,”  @Biimpeh wrote.

“I think the commentator is depressing and absent minded. Which one is "The late great Peter Rufai? Dodo mayana is not dead... I can't believe these rubbish commentary,” @youngichu wrote. 

“Dear Commentator, the great Peter Rufai aka Dodo Mayana is very much alive oh,”  @SegunThePundit wrote.

Rufai alive and well

» more The slip on Twitter generated many reactions on Twitter bringing the former goalkeeper to top of Twitter Nigeria trends  (Twitter)  
The slip on live TV generated enough comments on Twitter to to make the one-time Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) winner to trend on Twitter Nigeria.

Coincidentally, Dodo Mayana as he is fondly called was at the same time live on popular Lagos sports radio Brila FM covering the Super Eagles game.

“Dodo Mayana is live, Dodo Mayana is talking,” he said in a video clip recorded at the radio studio.

“Whoever that is talking, I rebuke you,” he added.

https://www.pulse.ng/sports/football/peter-rufai-trends-on-twitter-nigeria-during-libya-vs-nigeria-id8986441.html
late for the match slip of Stadium ����
Re: Commentator Addresses Peter Rufai As ‘Late’ During Libya Vs Nigeria by SleakBuzzPR: 3:04pm On Oct 17, 2018
Dodo Mayana

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Commentator Addresses Peter Rufai As ‘Late’ During Libya Vs Nigeria by Chizzyjoyce(f): 3:04pm On Oct 17, 2018
Nothing person no go see for 9ja...

Lolzzzz

2 Likes

Re: Commentator Addresses Peter Rufai As ‘Late’ During Libya Vs Nigeria by bedspread: 3:04pm On Oct 17, 2018
MY BRETHREN I HEARD THAT THING YESTERDAY DURING THE MATCH FROM ONE OF THE COMMENTATORS AND I THOUGHT OF SEEKING GOOGLE !

3 Likes

Re: Commentator Addresses Peter Rufai As ‘Late’ During Libya Vs Nigeria by Lilimax(f): 3:05pm On Oct 17, 2018
The commentator has been infected with Lifelessness embarassed

5 Likes

Re: Commentator Addresses Peter Rufai As ‘Late’ During Libya Vs Nigeria by BruncleZuma: 3:05pm On Oct 17, 2018
grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Commentator Addresses Peter Rufai As ‘Late’ During Libya Vs Nigeria by create5876: 3:06pm On Oct 17, 2018
i hear
Re: Commentator Addresses Peter Rufai As ‘Late’ During Libya Vs Nigeria by Drsmiles(m): 3:06pm On Oct 17, 2018
the peterrufai goalkeeping academy

1 Like

Re: Commentator Addresses Peter Rufai As ‘Late’ During Libya Vs Nigeria by farouk2much(m): 3:06pm On Oct 17, 2018
El-rufai or peter rufai dnt mind the commentator may be he is as lifeless as buhari...

3 Likes

Re: Commentator Addresses Peter Rufai As ‘Late’ During Libya Vs Nigeria by tuzle(m): 3:06pm On Oct 17, 2018
These are the kind of things we should be praying against, they should not use mouth to kill us before our time
Re: Commentator Addresses Peter Rufai As ‘Late’ During Libya Vs Nigeria by alphaconde(m): 3:06pm On Oct 17, 2018
thats a buharist approach

thinking dead people are alive and thinking living people are dead

its called the buharisyndrome

2 Likes

Re: Commentator Addresses Peter Rufai As ‘Late’ During Libya Vs Nigeria by Walexybobo(m): 3:08pm On Oct 17, 2018
Hear comment o chai! Whoever wish me dead shall go before me.
Re: Commentator Addresses Peter Rufai As ‘Late’ During Libya Vs Nigeria by Afobear: 3:09pm On Oct 17, 2018
BALLOSKI:
grin

This is how I want atikulate chantters to take baba for lifelessness - and him go just clear their doubt at the polls. Then , the cry go change to " buhari is too liveful to rule Nigeria".

Sharrap

8 Likes

Re: Commentator Addresses Peter Rufai As ‘Late’ During Libya Vs Nigeria by robosky02(m): 3:09pm On Oct 17, 2018
Peter Rufai

Peter Rufai (born 24 August 1963) is a Nigerian retired footballer who played as a goalkeeper.

Peter Rufai
Personal information
Date of birth24 August 1963 (age 55)
Place of birthLagos, Nigeria
Height 1.87 m (6 ft 2 in)
Playing positionGoalkeeper
Senior career*
YearsTeamApps(Gls)
1980–1984Stationery Stores
1985 Femo Scorpions
1986–1987Dragons de l'Ouémé
1987–1991Lokeren 6 (0)
1991–1993Beveren
1993–1994Go Ahead Eagles 12 (0)
1994–1997Farense 62 (0)
1997Hércules 10 (0)
1997–1999Deportivo La Coruña 9 (0)
1999–2000Gil Vicente 1 (0)
National team
1983–1998Nigeria 65 (1)
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only
He competed professionally in Belgium, the Netherlands, Portugal and Spain, in a senior career that lasted twenty years.

Rufai represented Nigeria in two World Cups and as many Africa Cup of Nations tournaments.

Club careerEdit

Born in Lagos, Rufai started his career in his country, playing with Stationery Stores F.C. and Femo Scorpions. He moved to Benin in 1986, with AS Dragons FC de l'Ouémé.

At a more professional level Rufai spent six years in Belgium, with K.S.C. Lokeren Oost-Vlaanderen[1] and K.S.K. Beveren, although he appeared sparingly. In the 1993–94 season he played 12 matches for Dutch neighbours Go Ahead Eagles, which finished 12th in the Eredivisie.

In 1994, Rufai started a Portuguese adventure with S.C. Farense. In his first year, he was instrumental as the Algarve side only conceded 38 goals in 34 matches, qualifying to the UEFA Cup for the first time ever. His solid performances earned him a transfer to La Liga, but he struggled to start for lowly Hércules CF during his stay, in an eventual relegation.

However, Rufai signed with established Deportivo de La Coruña the ensuing summer, backing up another African, Jacques Songo'o, for two seasons – this included keeping a clean sheet in a January 1998 home win against CD Tenerife (1–0) as the Cameroonian was suspended.[2] He then returned to Portugal for one final year, with modest Gil Vicente FC, also being second-choice.

Rufai returned to Spain in 2003, settling in the country and opening a goalkeeper's school.[2]

International careerEdit

Rufai earned 65 caps for Nigeria, and represented the nation at two FIFA World Cups, always as starter: 1994 (Nigeria's first ever appearance, where he also acted as captain) and 1998,[3] also helping the Super Eagles win the 1994 African Cup of Nations in Tunisia.[4]

On 24 July 1993, during a CAN qualifier against Ethiopia, Rufai scored his country's last goal from a penalty kick, in a 6–0 home win.

Personal life

Rufai was the son of a tribal king in the region of Idimu. In early 1998, as his father died, he was allowed by his club (Deportivo) to return to Nigeria to discuss the succession, but turned down the status for himself.

Rufai's oldest son, Senbaty, played as a midfielder, having tried for Sunshine Stars F.C. in the Nigeria Premier League.

3 Likes

Re: Commentator Addresses Peter Rufai As ‘Late’ During Libya Vs Nigeria by Diso60090(m): 3:24pm On Oct 17, 2018
The commentator need Ebola
Re: Commentator Addresses Peter Rufai As ‘Late’ During Libya Vs Nigeria by henrixx(m): 3:30pm On Oct 17, 2018
Too bad
Re: Commentator Addresses Peter Rufai As ‘Late’ During Libya Vs Nigeria by Greenbirth: 3:30pm On Oct 17, 2018
BALLOSKI:
grin

the two-two kobo they dey pay you, dey get into your small brain

1 Like

Re: Commentator Addresses Peter Rufai As ‘Late’ During Libya Vs Nigeria by myfootballface: 3:33pm On Oct 17, 2018
Lol I thought I didn't hear that correctly yesterday.
Re: Commentator Addresses Peter Rufai As ‘Late’ During Libya Vs Nigeria by showafrica(m): 3:49pm On Oct 17, 2018
I heard it oo, loud and clear... I was wondering myself say so this guy Don die and I no no.
Re: Commentator Addresses Peter Rufai As ‘Late’ During Libya Vs Nigeria by LIVEBYTRUTH: 4:12pm On Oct 17, 2018
That is what you get when you chose the wrong pegs to fill the wrong holes, the most qualified are roaming the streets, while the educated dunces are occupying their supposed to be positions. When people like late Ernest Okonkwo and co were there , you would prefer listening to the radio live commentary while watching matches live on television, what do we have today? group of unqualified sports commentators in the studios forming foreign accents , with their female counterparts giving us bed room voice all in the name of radio sports presentation. Now is good, very soon they will name Muhamad Buhari as one of the players on the pitch. Ernest Okonkwo would covering his face in the grave. RIP Nigeria .
Re: Commentator Addresses Peter Rufai As ‘Late’ During Libya Vs Nigeria by bakenda(m): 4:45pm On Oct 17, 2018
robosky02:
Peter Rufai
Peter Rufai (born 24 August 1963) is a Nigerian retired footballer who played as a goalkeeper.

Peter Rufai
Personal information
Date of birth24 August 1963 (age 55)
Place of birthLagos, Nigeria
Height 1.87 m (6 ft 2 in)
Playing positionGoalkeeper
Senior career*
YearsTeamApps(Gls)
1980–1984Stationery Stores
1985 Femo Scorpions
1986–1987Dragons de l'Ouémé
1987–1991Lokeren 6 (0)
1991–1993Beveren
1993–1994Go Ahead Eagles 12 (0)
1994–1997Farense 62 (0)
1997Hércules 10 (0)
1997–1999Deportivo La Coruña 9 (0)
1999–2000Gil Vicente 1 (0)
National team
1983–1998Nigeria 65 (1)
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only
He competed professionally in Belgium, the Netherlands, Portugal and Spain, in a senior career that lasted twenty years.

Rufai represented Nigeria in two World Cups and as many Africa Cup of Nations tournaments.

Club careerEdit

Born in Lagos, Rufai started his career in his country, playing with Stationery Stores F.C. and Femo Scorpions. He moved to Benin in 1986, with AS Dragons FC de l'Ouémé.

At a more professional level Rufai spent six years in Belgium, with K.S.C. Lokeren Oost-Vlaanderen[1] and K.S.K. Beveren, although he appeared sparingly. In the 1993–94 season he played 12 matches for Dutch neighbours Go Ahead Eagles, which finished 12th in the Eredivisie.

In 1994, Rufai started a Portuguese adventure with S.C. Farense. In his first year, he was instrumental as the Algarve side only conceded 38 goals in 34 matches, qualifying to the UEFA Cup for the first time ever. His solid performances earned him a transfer to La Liga, but he struggled to start for lowly Hércules CF during his stay, in an eventual relegation.

However, Rufai signed with established Deportivo de La Coruña the ensuing summer, backing up another African, Jacques Songo'o, for two seasons – this included keeping a clean sheet in a January 1998 home win against CD Tenerife (1–0) as the Cameroonian was suspended.[2] He then returned to Portugal for one final year, with modest Gil Vicente FC, also being second-choice.

Rufai returned to Spain in 2003, settling in the country and opening a goalkeeper's school.[2]

International careerEdit

Rufai earned 65 caps for Nigeria, and represented the nation at two FIFA World Cups, always as starter: 1994 (Nigeria's first ever appearance, where he also acted as captain) and 1998,[3] also helping the Super Eagles win the 1994 African Cup of Nations in Tunisia.[4]

On 24 July 1993, during a CAN qualifier against Ethiopia, Rufai scored his country's last goal from a penalty kick, in a 6–0 home win.[5]

Personal lifeEdit

Rufai was the son of a tribal king in the region of Idimu. In early 1998, as his father died, he was allowed by his club (Deportivo) to return to Nigeria to discuss the succession, but turned down the status for himself.[2]

Rufai's oldest son, Senbaty, played as a midfielder, having tried for Sunshine Stars F.C. in the Nigeria Premier League.[6]

I used to think he kept for Abiola Babes at some point in time.
Re: Commentator Addresses Peter Rufai As ‘Late’ During Libya Vs Nigeria by gikur: 4:56pm On Oct 17, 2018
ehn ehn
THIS TRAINING WILL MAKE YOU TO CREATE MOBILE APPS FOR IOS AND ANDROID ALL BY YOURSELF IN 3 WEEKS – GUARANTEED!

In the words of the creator of Angular JS, Misko Hervery, he described IONIC as a shining example of a high-quality framework that takes advantage of Angular's power and flexibility, enabling developers to bild production-ready mobile apps and progressive apps in a fraction of time

WHAT WILL I LEARN?

- Learn to build Mobile Apps using Ionic Framework
- Learn to use your JavaScript and HTML skills to create better apps
- Master Ionic concepts and app development process
- Build a complete app along with the course
- YOU MUST CREATE A MOBILE APP FOR IOS & ANDROID ALL BY YOURSELF!
- PLUS MUCH MORE!!!

Re: Commentator Addresses Peter Rufai As ‘Late’ During Libya Vs Nigeria by robosky02(m): 4:56pm On Oct 17, 2018
bakenda:

I used to think he kept for Abiola Babes at some point in time.

e started his career with Stationary Stores of Lagos before moving to Femo Scorpions. He later moved abroad, first to Benin Republic in 1986 with AS Dragons FC de l'Ouémé.

In Europe, Rufai played for K.S.C. Lokeren Oost-Vlaanderen and K.S.K. Beveren in Belgium, before moving to Go Ahead Eagles in Netherlands.

Rufai also played in Spain with Deportivo de La Coruña and also in Portugal for Gil Vicente FC.

It was however with the Super Eagles that Rufai really made his name.

He made his debut in 1984 and went on make 65 appearances for Nigeria.

His penalty save in Maroc 1988 in the semi-final against Algeria got his name in Nigerian football folklore before he went on to win the 1994 African cup of Nations in Tunisia.

Rufai represented Nigeria at two FIFA World Cup: in US 94 which was Nigeria's first ever appearance and 1998 in France.
Re: Commentator Addresses Peter Rufai As ‘Late’ During Libya Vs Nigeria by LadyAimy: 4:59pm On Oct 17, 2018
BALLOSKI:
grin

Mtcheeew

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? / Three Players Keshi Should Drop For South Africa Clash / Nigeria Vs Cameroon: Mikel Obi, Iheanacho Arrive Super Eagles Camp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.