Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,522 members, 7,861,513 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 01:32 PM

WOLE SOYINKA - The Only Living Legend And Elder Stateman In Nigeria Of Today - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / WOLE SOYINKA - The Only Living Legend And Elder Stateman In Nigeria Of Today (880 Views)

Soyinka...the Nobel Fraud / PETER OBI: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY LEADER AND ELDER BROTHER ALHAJI ATIJU ABUBAKAR / "I Will Worship The Only Living God", Sen. Kalu Leads Obi Cubana, AY, Zenko (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

WOLE SOYINKA - The Only Living Legend And Elder Stateman In Nigeria Of Today by Hakiim: 2:22pm On Oct 18, 2018
Akinwande Oluwole Babatunde Soyinka (Yoruba: Akinwándé Oluwo̩lé Babátúndé S̩óyinká (born 13 July 1934), known as Wole Soyinka (pronounced [wɔlé ʃójĩŋká]), is a Nigerian playwright, poet and essayist. He was awarded the 1986 Nobel Prize in Literature,[2] the first African to be honoured in that category.

Soyinka was born into a Yoruba family in Abeokuta. After studying in Nigeria and the UK, he worked with the Royal Court Theatre in London. He went on to write plays that were produced in both countries, in theatres and on radio. He took an active role in Nigeria's political history and its struggle for independence from Great Britain. In 1965, he seized the Western Nigeria Broadcasting Service studio and broadcast a demand for the cancellation of the Western Nigeria Regional Elections. In 1967 during the Nigerian Civil War, he was arrested by the federal government of General Yakubu Gowon and put in solitary confinement for two years.[3]

Soyinka has been a strong critic of successive Nigerian governments, especially the country's many military dictators, as well as other political tyrannies, including the Mugabe regime in Zimbabwe. Much of his writing has been concerned with "the oppressive boot and the irrelevance of the colour of the foot that wears it".[4] During the regime of General Sani Abacha (1993–98), Soyinka escaped from Nigeria on a motorcycle via the "NADECO Route." Abacha later proclaimed a death sentence against him "in absentia."[4] With civilian rule restored to Nigeria in 1999, Soyinka returned to his nation.

A descendant of a Remo family of Isara-Remo, Soyinka was born the second of six children, in the city of Abẹokuta, Ogun State in Nigeria, at that time a British dominion. His father, Samuel Ayodele Soyinka (whom he called S.A. or "Essay"wink, was an Anglican minister and the headmaster of St. Peters School in Abẹokuta. Soyinka's mother, Grace Eniola Soyinka (whom he dubbed the "Wild Christian"wink, owned a shop in the nearby market. She was a political activist within the women's movement in the local community. She was also Anglican. As much of the community followed indigenous Yorùbá religious tradition, Soyinka grew up in a religious atmosphere of syncretism, with influences from both cultures. He was raised in a religious family, attending church services and singing in the choir from an early age; however Soyinka himself became an atheist later in life.[15][16] His father's position enabled him to get electricity and radio at home. He writes extensively about his childhood in one of his memoirs, Aké: The Years of Childhood (1981).[17]

His mother was one of the most prominent members of the influential Ransome-Kuti family: she was the daughter of Rev. Canon J. J. Ransome-Kuti, and sister to Olusegun Azariah Ransome-Kuti, Oludotun Ransome-Kuti and sister in-law to Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti. Among Soyinka's cousins were the musician Fela Kuti, the human rights activist Beko Ransome-Kuti, politician Olikoye Ransome-Kuti and activist Yemisi Ransome-Kuti.

Wole Soyinka has been critical about Nigerian Politicians of today.

He criticize when he needs to and praise when you deserve one.

He is fearless.

He is Courageous.

He is not a man of double standard.

I salute and celebrate you sir.

Kindly mention any other one you know in Nigeria of today.

NO INSULT, SENTIMENT, TRIBAL OR RELIGIOUS COMMENTS PLEASE

Re: WOLE SOYINKA - The Only Living Legend And Elder Stateman In Nigeria Of Today by LordIsaac(m): 2:57pm On Oct 18, 2018
Hmmmm....
Re: WOLE SOYINKA - The Only Living Legend And Elder Stateman In Nigeria Of Today by meccuno: 4:16pm On Oct 18, 2018
[s]
Hakiim:
Akinwande Oluwole Babatunde Soyinka (Yoruba: Akinwándé Oluwo̩lé Babátúndé S̩óyinká (born 13 July 1934), known as Wole Soyinka (pronounced [wɔlé ʃójĩŋká]), is a Nigerian playwright, poet and essayist. He was awarded the 1986 Nobel Prize in Literature,[2] the first African to be honoured in that category.

Soyinka was born into a Yoruba family in Abeokuta. After studying in Nigeria and the UK, he worked with the Royal Court Theatre in London. He went on to write plays that were produced in both countries, in theatres and on radio. He took an active role in Nigeria's political history and its struggle for independence from Great Britain. In 1965, he seized the Western Nigeria Broadcasting Service studio and broadcast a demand for the cancellation of the Western Nigeria Regional Elections. In 1967 during the Nigerian Civil War, he was arrested by the federal government of General Yakubu Gowon and put in solitary confinement for two years.[3]

Soyinka has been a strong critic of successive Nigerian governments, especially the country's many military dictators, as well as other political tyrannies, including the Mugabe regime in Zimbabwe. Much of his writing has been concerned with "the oppressive boot and the irrelevance of the colour of the foot that wears it".[4] During the regime of General Sani Abacha (1993–98), Soyinka escaped from Nigeria on a motorcycle via the "NADECO Route." Abacha later proclaimed a death sentence against him "in absentia."[4] With civilian rule restored to Nigeria in 1999, Soyinka returned to his nation.

A descendant of a Remo family of Isara-Remo, Soyinka was born the second of six children, in the city of Abẹokuta, Ogun State in Nigeria, at that time a British dominion. His father, Samuel Ayodele Soyinka (whom he called S.A. or "Essay"wink, was an Anglican minister and the headmaster of St. Peters School in Abẹokuta. Soyinka's mother, Grace Eniola Soyinka (whom he dubbed the "Wild Christian"wink, owned a shop in the nearby market. She was a political activist within the women's movement in the local community. She was also Anglican. As much of the community followed indigenous Yorùbá religious tradition, Soyinka grew up in a religious atmosphere of syncretism, with influences from both cultures. He was raised in a religious family, attending church services and singing in the choir from an early age; however Soyinka himself became an atheist later in life.[15][16] His father's position enabled him to get electricity and radio at home. He writes extensively about his childhood in one of his memoirs, Aké: The Years of Childhood (1981).[17]

His mother was one of the most prominent members of the influential Ransome-Kuti family: she was the daughter of Rev. Canon J. J. Ransome-Kuti, and sister to Olusegun Azariah Ransome-Kuti, Oludotun Ransome-Kuti and sister in-law to Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti. Among Soyinka's cousins were the musician Fela Kuti, the human rights activist Beko Ransome-Kuti, politician Olikoye Ransome-Kuti and activist Yemisi Ransome-Kuti.

Wole Soyinka has been critical about Nigerian Politicians of today.

He criticize when he needs to and praise when you deserve one.

He is fearless.

He is Courageous.

He is not a man of double standard.

I salute and celebrate you sir.

Kindly mention any other one you know in Nigeria of today.

NO INSULT, SENTIMENT, TRIBAL OR RELIGIOUS COMMENTS PLEASE
[/s] I respect the man. but he is not a legend to me. maybe to the yorubas.

1 Like

Re: WOLE SOYINKA - The Only Living Legend And Elder Stateman In Nigeria Of Today by BeardedMeat(m): 8:52pm On Oct 18, 2018
This stupid old man is as corrupt as the politicians he hobnobs with.
Re: WOLE SOYINKA - The Only Living Legend And Elder Stateman In Nigeria Of Today by yomi962: 10:09pm On Oct 18, 2018
meccuno:
[s][/s] I respect the man. but he is not a legend to me. maybe to the yorubas.
tah God forbid I am a Yoruba and he is not a legend to us. I will even take chinua achebe over this cultist
Re: WOLE SOYINKA - The Only Living Legend And Elder Stateman In Nigeria Of Today by Hakiim: 10:24pm On Oct 18, 2018
Wole Soyinka's type of cultist is not what is practice today.

They practice their cultist for academic purpose
Re: WOLE SOYINKA - The Only Living Legend And Elder Stateman In Nigeria Of Today by kernel001: 10:51pm On Oct 18, 2018
Hakiim:
Wole Soyinka's type of cultist is not what is practice today.

They practice their cultist for academic purpose

Bro... Never defend what you didn't witness, I never believed, till I ran into some pictures. He doesn't deal with the killer cultists what do you make of this picture?

Re: WOLE SOYINKA - The Only Living Legend And Elder Stateman In Nigeria Of Today by Hakiim: 8:19am On Oct 19, 2018
kernel001:

Bro... Never defend what you didn't witness, I never believed, till I ran into some pictures. He doesn't deal with the killer cultists what do you make of this picture?

Good one bro... but he is been only acknowledged as a founder of such.

believe me, he doesnt practice such then.
Re: WOLE SOYINKA - The Only Living Legend And Elder Stateman In Nigeria Of Today by Captainrambo2: 8:41am On Oct 19, 2018
Hakiim:

say what you know.

The powerful have always preyed on the powerless.
That was how they became powerful in the first place
Re: WOLE SOYINKA - The Only Living Legend And Elder Stateman In Nigeria Of Today by ALCOHOLKILLS(m): 8:46am On Oct 19, 2018
only in afonja land, that man is a nonentity where i come from
Re: WOLE SOYINKA - The Only Living Legend And Elder Stateman In Nigeria Of Today by kernel001: 8:47am On Oct 19, 2018
Hakiim:

But follows killers? Can you be pictured with ISIS and Boko Haram?
Re: WOLE SOYINKA - The Only Living Legend And Elder Stateman In Nigeria Of Today by T9ksy(m): 10:55am On Oct 19, 2018
yomi962:
tah God forbid I am a Yoruba and he is not a legend to us. I will even take chinua achebe over this cultist

Yeah, of course, you are yoruba! yimmu
Re: WOLE SOYINKA - The Only Living Legend And Elder Stateman In Nigeria Of Today by speedyGonzales: 11:44am On Oct 19, 2018
kernel001:

you do know that confraternities exist in American universities to promote better students but has been adapted to take on a sinister nature in Nigeria. Not by Soyinka obviously... he could not predict what other people will turn it in to.

I know he has occasionally given poor judgement to Nigerians like Buhari! but he is human too.
Re: WOLE SOYINKA - The Only Living Legend And Elder Stateman In Nigeria Of Today by kernel001: 2:03pm On Oct 19, 2018
speedyGonzales:

you do know that confraternities exist in American universities to promote better students but has been adapted to take on a sinister nature in Nigeria. Not by Soyinka obviously... he could not predict what other people will turn it in to.

I know he has occasionally given poor judgement to Nigerians like Buhari! but he is human too.

Bro... He still associate with those cultists.
Re: WOLE SOYINKA - The Only Living Legend And Elder Stateman In Nigeria Of Today by Hakiim: 2:10pm On Oct 19, 2018
speedyGonzales:

you share my sentiment but i will like us to judge him in other area aside the cult issue.

compare him to the some old and about to die leaders we have now.

Instead of looking at their grave and do what is right for the country and people but GREED will not allow them.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Will Osibanjo Go Like Adeosun? / Jimi Agbaje, Lagos PDP Candidate Complains Of Bill Boards Vandalisation / FACT CHECK: Peter Obi’s Eleven False Claims At VP Debate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.