Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,122 members, 7,814,939 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:22 AM

7 M Annual Income Or Move To Canada - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 7 M Annual Income Or Move To Canada (12358 Views)

N700,000 Average Monthly Income Or Relocate Abroad. Advice From Matured Minds On / N8 Million Naira Per Year Income Or Move To Ireland / Before You Travel To Canada: The Dangers Therein (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 M Annual Income Or Move To Canada by ahiboilandgas: 4:02pm On Oct 18, 2018
This for persons in Canada or ireland if u earn 7m in nigeria per anum would have move to Canada or if u have a 7 m offer back home will u relocate to Nigeria...a colleague is about to resign ooh he got pr

2 Likes

Re: 7 M Annual Income Or Move To Canada by mumureloaded(m): 4:06pm On Oct 18, 2018
let me park here
Re: 7 M Annual Income Or Move To Canada by Cyberknight: 4:31pm On Oct 18, 2018
ahiboilandgas:
This for persons in Canada or ireland if u earn 7m in nigeria per anum would have move to Canada or if u have a 7 m offer back home will u relocate to Nigeria...a colleague is about to resign ooh he got pr

7 million is like 400k per month net. Not worth moving back to Nigeria for by a long chalk.

5 Likes

Re: 7 M Annual Income Or Move To Canada by Mizwisdom(f): 4:51pm On Oct 18, 2018
It depends on your destiny

14 Likes

Re: 7 M Annual Income Or Move To Canada by Jabo1000: 5:32pm On Oct 18, 2018
Why would somebody want to go inside cold when he’s living comfortably in Nigeria.
7m per year is more than 500k monthly that’s like earning cad $150k per annum in Canada taking consideration of cost of living and tax.

15 Likes

Re: 7 M Annual Income Or Move To Canada by OboOlora(f): 7:38pm On Oct 18, 2018
Jabo1000:
Why would somebody want to go inside cold when he’s living comfortably in Nigeria.
7m per year is more than 500k monthly that’s like earning cad $150k per annum in Canada taking consideration of cost of living and tax.
U don pack all the sense wey 20nairalanders suppose get

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 M Annual Income Or Move To Canada by aariwa(m): 8:29pm On Oct 18, 2018
He will be a big fool to resign

2 Likes

Re: 7 M Annual Income Or Move To Canada by Fourcade(m): 10:42pm On Oct 18, 2018
Jabo1000:

Your calculations are off!
How does $150k /annum in Canada compare to 7 million naira in Nigeria ? undecided

13 Likes

Re: 7 M Annual Income Or Move To Canada by Jabo1000: 11:33pm On Oct 18, 2018
Fourcade:

Your calculations are off!
How does $150k /annum in Canada compare to 7 million naira in Nigeria ? undecided

Because a rent that cost $1200 per month can be gotten for 350k Naira per year in Nigeria, An African restaurant meal that cost average of 13$ plus tax can be gotten for 800 Naira in Nigeria, An electricity bill of 60$ to 150$ in winter can be gotten for just 3k Naira monthly in Nigeria , every purchases with sales tax about 12% in Canada can be gotten free in Nigeria, the worst part to bury the dead that can cost about 10k$ without life insurance can be gotten free in Nigeria and so on.
So do the math yourself.

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 7 M Annual Income Or Move To Canada by MyAmericandream(f): 12:29pm On Oct 19, 2018
Mizwisdom:
It depends on your destiny
you are right sister.

2 Likes

Re: 7 M Annual Income Or Move To Canada by MyAmericandream(f): 12:31pm On Oct 19, 2018
Jabo1000:

Because a rent that cost $1200 per month can be gotten for 350k Naira per year in Nigeria, An African restaurant meal that cost average of 13$ plus tax can be gotten for 800 Naira in Nigeria, An electricity bill of 60$ to 150$ in winter can be gotten for just 3k Naira monthly in Nigeria , every purchases with sales tax about 12% in Canada can be gotten free in Nigeria, the worst part to bury the dead that can cost about 10k$ without life insurance can be gotten free in Nigeria and so on.
So do the math yourself.
350k for Egbeda or VI?

16 Likes

Re: 7 M Annual Income Or Move To Canada by Cyberknight: 1:14pm On Oct 19, 2018
Jabo1000:

So do the math yourself.

This is generalising. The figures quoted here can only cover living costs in towns like Enugu or Ilorin and not in the main metropolises where people would most rather prefer to live. And I seriously doubt that the smaller towns are what should be used to form a basis of comparison.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 M Annual Income Or Move To Canada by naijaman3: 6:08pm On Oct 19, 2018
Jabo1000:

Hmmn, I don’t know how you are doing your math. It looks to me that 7M Naira (or about CAD $25,000) per annum in Nigeria will be equivalent to maximum CAD $50,000 (or 14M Naira) in Canada taking tax and cost of living into consideration.

Jabo1000:

So do the math yourself.

Your math is off because you did not take into consideration a lot of other things that you will spend money on while living in Nigeria but you don’t spend money on them in Canada. Some of the other things are:

Elementary and Secondary Education: In Canada, world class quality education is free from kindergarten to the end of high school. However, in Nigeria you know what you have to pay per term for schools that are not even as good as the free ones here in Canada.

Health and Medical: In Canada, you get this for free. However, in Nigeria you know what you have to pay for medical treatment at all the death center you call hospital. It is so bad that your yeyebrity (celebrity) that are believed to be making more than 7M Naira per annum run to social medial looking for help to cover hospital bills when they are sick.

Unemployment Benefit: If you lose your job in Canada due to no fault of yours you are entitled to government paid employment payment for between 14 weeks to 45 weeks. This is in additional to whatever severance pay that your company will pay you. What do you get from government in Nigeria if you lose your job due to no fault of yours? Nothing.

Government Pension: In additional to pension you get from your employer when you retire; you also get government paid pension monthly in Canada when you retire (You don’t need to work for the government to get this). What do you get from government in Nigeria when you retire? Nothing.

Old Age Security Payment: In Canada if you are 65 years and above you get paid Old Age Security payment irrespective of whether you have worked or never worked all your life. What do you get from government in Nigeria when you are old? Nothing.

You can argue that all of the above are not free because the government uses our tax to cover for these expenses. This is why our tax is a little high. But in Nigeria since you do not pay high taxes like we pay and you still need all of the above basic needs you have to pay for them or plan for them by yourself from your 7M Naira annual income. So, if you add high tax to your Canadian expenses, you also need to add the cost of all of the above to your Nigerian expenses.

Apart from the above items covered by our taxes, there are a couple of other items below that are extremely expensive in Nigeria compared to Canada:

Generator Running Expenses: Despite paying your NEPA bill, your power is not stable or not available at all. Hence you run your generator. In Canada, I don’t have to run a generator to live so the cost is zero. What is the cost of this per month or per year in Nigeria?

Tokunbo Car: The tokunbo car that you buy for about 2.24M Naira (CAD $8,000) in Nigeria will only cost me about CAD $2000 (N560,000 Naira) in Canada.

University and College Education: In Canada my kids have the following options available tom then in financing their education without me as a parent paying anything (government tuition grant not to be paid back, academic scholarship, part time work while schooling etc). In addition, they also get tax refund from tution and books etc but in Nigeria parents have to spend their live savings sending kids to the university.

There are more but I stop here for now!

Taking all of the above, all other cost of living and taxes into consideration, I would say that 7M Naira (or about CAD $25,000) per annum in Nigeria will be equivalent to maximum CAD $50,000 (or 14M Naira) in Canada.

126 Likes 15 Shares

Re: 7 M Annual Income Or Move To Canada by ahiboilandgas: 6:54pm On Oct 19, 2018
naijaman3:

Hmmn, I don’t know how you are doing your math. It looks to me that 7M Naira (or about CAD $25,000) per annum in Nigeria will be equivalent to maximum CAD $50,000 (or 14M Naira) in Canada taking tax and cost of living into consideration.

Your math is off because you did not take into consideration a lot of other things that you will spend money on while living in Nigeria but you don’t spend money on them in Canada. Some of the other things are:

Elementary and Secondary Education: In Canada, world class quality education is free from kindergarten to the end of high school. However, in Nigeria you know what you have to pay per term for schools that are not even as good as the free ones here in Canada.

Health and Medical: In Canada, you get this for free. However, in Nigeria you know what you have to pay for medical treatment at all the death center you call hospital. It is so bad that your yeyebrity (celebrity) that are believed to be making more than 7M Naira per annum run to social medial looking for help to cover hospital bills when they are sick.

Unemployment Benefit: If you lose your job in Canada due to no fault of yours you are entitled to government paid employment payment for between 14 weeks to 45 weeks. This is in additional to whatever severance pay that your company will pay you. What do you get from government in Nigeria if you lose your job due to no fault of yours? Nothing.

Government Pension: In additional to pension you get from your employer when you retire; you also get government paid pension monthly in Canada when you retire (You don’t need to work for the government to get this). What do you get from government in Nigeria when you retire? Nothing.

Old Age Security Payment: In Canada if you are 65 years and above you get paid Old Age Security payment irrespective of whether you have worked or never worked all your life. What do you get from government in Nigeria when you are old? Nothing.

You can argue that all of the above are not free because the government uses our tax to cover for these expenses. This is why our tax is a little high. But in Nigeria since you do not pay high taxes like we pay and you still need all of the above basic needs you have to pay for them or plan for them by yourself from your 7M Naira annual income. So, if you add high tax to your Canadian expenses, you also need to add the cost of all of the above to your Nigerian expenses.

Apart from the above items covered by our taxes, there are a couple of other items below that are extremely expensive in Nigeria compared to Canada:

Generator Running Expenses: Despite paying your NEPA bill, your power is not stable or not available at all. Hence you run your generator. In Canada, I don’t have to run a generator to live so the cost is zero. What is the cost of this per month or per year in Nigeria?

Tokunbo Car: The tokunbo car that you buy for about 2.24M Naira (CAD $8,000) in Nigeria will only cost me about CAD $2000 (N560,000 Naira) in Canada.

University and College Education: In Canada my kids have the following options available tom then in financing their education without me as a parent paying anything (government tuition grant not to be paid back, academic scholarship, part time work while schooling etc). In addition, they also get tax refund from tution and books etc but in Nigeria parents have to spend their live savings sending kids to the university.

Taking all of the above, all other cost of living and taxes into consideration, I would say that 7M Naira (or about CAD $25,000) per annum in Nigeria will be equivalent to maximum CAD $50,000 (or 14M Naira) in Canada.

the best analysis so far very futurist and encompasses all the indirect gains like free school for kids .....i salute u ....u are a genius....

19 Likes

Re: 7 M Annual Income Or Move To Canada by Ugosample(m): 7:02pm On Oct 19, 2018
ahiboilandgas:

it's a no brainer

moving to Canada will pay in the long term

Nigeria is now like a rudderless ship

As long as he is ready to start from the scratch and work his way up, Canada is better abeg

14 Likes

Re: 7 M Annual Income Or Move To Canada by Ugosample(m): 7:03pm On Oct 19, 2018
Jabo1000:

it's not a bad idea if you look at the bigger picture
Re: 7 M Annual Income Or Move To Canada by Ugosample(m): 7:07pm On Oct 19, 2018
MyAmericandream:
350k for Egbeda or VI?

no mind the guy

I have a friend back in Nigeria who has a basic place but pays 640k /yr in Lagos o

I hear they charge over a million in that expensive skin called Lekki per annum cheesy grin

Niggeria my country

To live a good quality of life commensurate to what is obtainable in the west, even 7million per annum will be swallowed up....

but then, mediocrity is the way in Nigeria

5 Likes

Re: 7 M Annual Income Or Move To Canada by Ugosample(m): 7:10pm On Oct 19, 2018
naijaman3:

this is a good analysis

2 Likes

Re: 7 M Annual Income Or Move To Canada by MyAmericandream(f): 7:18pm On Oct 19, 2018
Ugosample:

no mind the guy

I have a friend back in Nigeria who has a basic place but pays 640k /yr in Lagos o

I hear they charge over a million in that expensive skin called Lekki per annum cheesy grin

Niggeria my country

To live a good quality of life commensurate to what is obtainable in the west, even 7million per annum will be swallowed up....

but then, mediocrity is the way in Nigeria
Thank you my brother, 650k is even too small for some part of Lagos. Let's not go as far as lekki, you need to checkout some places at festac and GRA Ikeja, The prices there are so exorbitant, you'll begin to wonder if you're in Nigeria. Let's talk about the roads, means of transportation, electricity, quality of education etc. The dude did not include all these.

1 Like

Re: 7 M Annual Income Or Move To Canada by omidan21: 7:35pm On Oct 19, 2018
You know i wanted to comment before but mehn You have said it alll, God bless you.
Re: 7 M Annual Income Or Move To Canada by Jabo1000: 7:44pm On Oct 19, 2018
MyAmericandream:
350k for Egbeda or VI?

So everybody live in Lagos. See reasoning.

2 Likes

Re: 7 M Annual Income Or Move To Canada by barnaby04(m): 7:47pm On Oct 19, 2018
You earn 7.5m per annum and you are confused about leaving Nigeria for Canada or not?

Let me advise you based on the situation of a friend and brother that recently migrated to Canada. This guy was on a salary of 1.5m per month and that gives you around 18M per year? He never gave it a second thought to emigrate when the opportunity presented itself.

Today, he and his family are well settled in Canada because he went on the PR Express Entry pathway. And always disturbing me whenever we talk on the need for me to take my migration plans very serious. His children has access to free education, free healthcare and a better environment to grow and explore.

No one will make the choice for you except you, yourself.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 M Annual Income Or Move To Canada by Ugosample(m): 7:56pm On Oct 19, 2018
MyAmericandream:
Thank you my brother, 650k is even too small for some part of Lagos. Let's not go as far as lekki, you need to checkout some places at festac and GRA Ikeja The prices there are so exorbitant, you'll begin to wonder if you're in Nigeria. Let's talk about the roads, means of transportation, electricity, standard of education etc. The dude did not include all these.

And to think that after paying so much, you still get sub standard services undecided

Running gen for just 8 hours a day will dig a hole

Paying out of pocket for sub standard medical service will dig another hole

How about the indirect cost to vehicle maintenance you pay due to terrible roads

What about the cost of sub standard school

6 Likes

Re: 7 M Annual Income Or Move To Canada by Mizwisdom(f): 7:56pm On Oct 19, 2018
Jabo1000:

So do the math yourself.

Brother, you've said it all. To add a bit to it, the cost of getting Canadian education is an added factor & a necessity, also starting life from scratch plus winter. Destiny plays a major role in success. Canada may be where he will find peace of mind

3 Likes

Re: 7 M Annual Income Or Move To Canada by Jabo1000: 7:57pm On Oct 19, 2018
Even if Dangote seek advice here to stay in Nigeria or travel to USA/Canada. Some people will still say Canada/USA lol.
A person earning 7m per annum with his salary, he can ventures into other business that generate extra income.

7 Likes

Re: 7 M Annual Income Or Move To Canada by Jabo1000: 8:06pm On Oct 19, 2018
Mizwisdom:

Brother, you've said it all. To add a bit to it, the cost of getting Canadian education is an added factor & a necessity, also starting life from scratch plus winter. Destiny plays a major role in success. Canada may be where he will find peace of mind

Yes you are right. He may find peace there but i doubt anyone that grew up in Nigeria would like 4 to 5 hours sunlight during winter and a boss in Nigeria already, God knows his age to start from scratch again.

4 Likes

Re: 7 M Annual Income Or Move To Canada by MyAmericandream(f): 8:31pm On Oct 19, 2018
Jabo1000:

i am using Lagos as a case study. Or do you want me to talk about port Harcourt and Abuja?

1 Like

Re: 7 M Annual Income Or Move To Canada by naijaman3: 8:39pm On Oct 19, 2018
Jabo1000:

And how many people that are not living in the major cities like Lagos, Abuja, PH (and other big cities) where rent are also high in Nigeria will have a job that pay up to 7M Naira per annum? So, it is high rent location for high pay and vice versa.

Basically, for the most part in the places where rents are cheap in Nigeria you will hardly find high paying jobs. So, go figure.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 M Annual Income Or Move To Canada by naijaman3: 8:48pm On Oct 19, 2018
Jabo1000:
Even if Dangote seek advice here to stay in Nigeria or travel to USA/Canada. Some people will still say Canada/USA lol.
A person earning 7m per annum with his salary, he can ventures into other business that generate extra income.

So also is a person making CAD $50K (14M Naira) in Canada (which I consider to be equivalent of making 7M Naira in Nigeria) can also have other business or investment in Nigeria and even in Canada to generate extra income. Not only that, the guy in Canada also have access to low interest loan that he can use to generate extra income via investment in several investment products. Does the Nigerian guy have access to such loan without any collateral? Even with collateral banks will not give him the loan because he is not Dangote.

10 Likes

Re: 7 M Annual Income Or Move To Canada by Ugosample(m): 8:52pm On Oct 19, 2018
MyAmericandream:
i am using Lagos as a case study. Or do you want me to talk about port Harcourt and Abuja?

rents in these places are equally expensive o

especially in decent areas

1 Like

Re: 7 M Annual Income Or Move To Canada by aworldcitizen: 8:58pm On Oct 19, 2018
Lol, 7m is small money if you are in Lagos with kids.

You will be living an average life and won't be able to go on vacation, ride brand new car, stay in nice beautiful serviced estates. Your kids will attend average school.

Someone earning minimum wage in Canada can afford all the listed above.

My brother aabeg move to Canada for your kids.

7 Likes

Re: 7 M Annual Income Or Move To Canada by MyAmericandream(f): 9:24pm On Oct 19, 2018
Ugosample:

rents in these places are equally expensive o

especially in decent areas
That's what I'm talking about.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

"Horror On Lagos - Benin Expressway!" <<FAKE - It Was an ACCIDENT / Share Your Experience With Commercial Drivers Since The Removal Of Subsidy / Sudan: We Need 4 Aircraft To Bring Nigerians Back — FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.