Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,793 members, 7,810,065 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:51 PM

Skin Bleaching - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Skin Bleaching (2280 Views)

Nigerian Skin-Bleaching Expert Shares Pictures Of His Transformation / Nigerian Women Lead In Skin Bleaching – WHO / Skin Bleaching-the Dangers(with Pix) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Skin Bleaching by DezVienna(f): 4:30pm On Jul 15, 2010
[center][/center]

[center]Hello and Welcome.  [/center]

[center]This thread is based on Skin Bleaching.  Here, I want to talk about why some people bleach, how they bleach, and I'd love to hear from people who have bleached their skin or are currently on a skin bleaching journey, or even curious of lightening some[/center]

[center]Which cultures seem to bleach most?[/center]

[center]What is the best skin bleaching regimen?[/center]

[center]Is skin bleaching and skin lightening the same things?[/center]

[center]Is correcting uneven skin tone by lightening the darker parts considered skin bleaching?[/center]

[center]Why do some people revolve their entire lives around skin bleaching, and find lighter skin superior to their own?[/center]

[center][/center]
Re: Skin Bleaching by rhemakc(f): 4:46pm On Jul 15, 2010
In my own opinion, the yorubas seem 2 bleach more. They don't consider the repercussion, cry
Re: Skin Bleaching by DezVienna(f): 8:37pm On Jul 15, 2010
Do you think it's right or wrong in your opinion?
Re: Skin Bleaching by InkedNerd(f): 9:29pm On Jul 15, 2010
I don't agree with skin bleaching BUT if that's what an individual wants to do then so be it. Its just a matter of doing it in a safe manner. If people would just go to a dermatologist and consult a professional then they'd know that there are SAFE and PROFESSIONAL ways to "bleach" and/or "lighten" their skin if that's what they want to do. People don't seems to realize the dangers of those HORRID bleaching creams. Those things are FULL of mercury, steroids or other harmful skin bleaching substances.
Re: Skin Bleaching by DezVienna(f): 2:46pm On Jul 16, 2010
Yes, I can agree. I think people just put anything on their faces. That's not good. If you want to bleach, at least know what you're doing.
Re: Skin Bleaching by sabri: 4:11pm On Jul 16, 2010
Bleaching does not give a clean and smooth skin texture after a long period of time. But there few ways to have a clean and clear skin,

http://www.nairalist.com/lagos/forsale/8973/portable-full-body-steamer

http://www.nairalist.com/lagos/forsale/8880/spa-beauty-product-for-sale
Re: Skin Bleaching by Nobody: 8:48pm On Jul 16, 2010
People need to learn to be comfortable with who they are. If they don't accept themselves for who they are, then who will? And this isn't just about Nigerians/Africans. I'm also referring to the oyibo who spend countless hours each year baking under the sun to have complexion more like ours. Onyogi trying to be onyocha and vice versa, chineke.
Re: Skin Bleaching by DezVienna(f): 1:06pm On Jul 19, 2010
I honestly think people have the right to do what they want to themselves and should not be judged, but skin bleaching is a taboo. It can also be looked at as insulting because your skin represents a lot of things and when you're trying to change it, people of similar tones get the wrong ideas.

I understand how in this day and age how many darker skinned people can not feel as pretty as they think lighter tones are because they're not always appreciated for their skin tones or represented in the media. It's not as often that you see darker skinned reflections of yourself symbolizing a beauty icon in the media.

We don't always see many Naomi Campbells, Gabrielle Unions, and, it's ashamed, but i can't think of too many. But you see more of Mariah Carey's, Alicia Keys, Rihanna's, Beyoncé's, Tyra's, and many more, in which aren't always even that pretty, just perceived beautiful due to their skin complexion or hair texture or anything that can make them look less non black.

Have you ever heard someone say, "You're so pretty. What, you mixed"? As if you're just too pretty to be fully black? Or, for myself, when I implicate that I am Dominican, it's like a plus. The minds of people are all messed up.
Re: Skin Bleaching by Nobody: 2:55pm On Jul 19, 2010
DezVienna:

I honestly think people have the right to do what they want to themselves and should not be judged, but skin bleaching is a taboo. It can also be looked at as insulting because your skin represents a lot of things and when you're trying to change it, people of similar tones get the wrong ideas.

I understand how in this day and age how many darker skinned people can not feel as pretty as they think lighter tones are because they're not always appreciated for their skin tones or represented in the media. It's not as often that you see darker skinned reflections of yourself symbolizing a beauty icon in the media.

We don't always see many Naomi Campbells, Gabrielle Unions, and, it's ashamed, but i can't think of too many. But you see more of Mariah Carey's, Alicia Keys, Rihanna's, Beyoncé's, Tyra's, and many more, in which aren't always even that pretty, just perceived beautiful due to their skin complexion or hair texture or anything that can make them look less non black.

Have you ever heard someone say, "You're so pretty. What, you mixed"? As if you're just too pretty to be fully black? Or, for myself, when I implicate that I am Dominican, it's like a plus. The minds of people are all messed up.

I find that one very annoying. I get it here in the states all the time by Nigerians and non-Nigerians alike. When I tell them I'm 100% Nigerian they look at me astonished.

There was an article online yesterday about the skin bleaching industry in India, which I found interesting.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/07/16/facebook.skin.lightening.app/index.html?section=cnn_latest

I think this is an instance where we have to step up and do our own; make black beautiful. If we don't, there is no way anyone else will.
Re: Skin Bleaching by browncocos(f): 5:10pm On Jul 19, 2010
I think in Nigeria
Skin lightening=skin bleaching
I had experimented with skin bleaching in the past using unsafe products
I was trying to lighten some parts of my body or rather make it even
and I just didnt know how far I was going
I got pregnant and stopped entirely
I must admit I was more beautiful coco skinned than "white"
Re: Skin Bleaching by DezVienna(f): 6:13pm On Jul 19, 2010
I agree with the comment up top. If we don't make black beautiful then there is no way anyone else will. We have to respresent ourselves. We can't leave it up to the white people- all they care about is whites or anything close to symbolizing it. You have to look like Rihanna. And what gets to me is that they use those images to symbolize what black beauty is when black beauty doesn't look like that. That looks like black-people emmulating white beauty.

(1) (Reply)

Guys: Can You Do This Funny Hair Cut On Ɣ☺ΰя Head? / See The Latest Style Trends From MTN Lagos Fashion & Design Week / Who Rocked This £870 Gucci Intarsia Sweater Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.