Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,451 members, 7,816,046 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:54 AM

Why Is Beard Allowed In The Navy But Disallowed In The Army And Airforce - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is Beard Allowed In The Navy But Disallowed In The Army And Airforce (14327 Views)

Construction Of The Navy's 2 New Vessels Start In Turkey / I Just Watched Out The Shootout Video Between Avengers And The Navy Woow / #revolutionnow: Police, Army And Airforce Put Abuja In Lockdown (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Beard Allowed In The Navy But Disallowed In The Army And Airforce by ChiefAzubuike(f): 11:06am On Oct 20, 2018
Many nigerian navy personnel's seems to carry beards. But this is frowned upon in the army and airfore. Why is this so?
Re: Why Is Beard Allowed In The Navy But Disallowed In The Army And Airforce by gidgiddy: 11:34am On Oct 20, 2018
Is the beard disallowed in the Army? Ojukwu kept a beard even when he was in the Nigerian military

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Beard Allowed In The Navy But Disallowed In The Army And Airforce by ChiefAzubuike(f): 1:29pm On Oct 20, 2018
gidgiddy:
Is the beard disallowed in the Army? Ojukwu kept a beard even when he was in the Nigerian military
Beard is disallowed in the army. Onlike the navy, many of them carry beard a lot.
Re: Why Is Beard Allowed In The Navy But Disallowed In The Army And Airforce by Nobody: 3:03pm On Oct 20, 2018
No force allows it.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Beard Allowed In The Navy But Disallowed In The Army And Airforce by BabaRamota1980: 3:27pm On Oct 20, 2018
ChiefAzubuike:
Many nigerian navy personnel's seems to carry beards. But this is frowned upon in the army and airfore. Why is this so?

Hair helps to regulate body temperature. When cold it keeps skin warm, when hot it assists perspiration.

By default a clean shaven face is viewed as a symbol of youthfullness and with that a position of agility, a state of readiness.

The same reason Navy is exempted from shaving face is also why they are the only arm of service that have trunkcoats and heavy sweaters as part of their uniform. Their job takes them into seas and storms and cold conditions. It is for assisting the body to keep warm at sea.

Not all posted Navy personnel are seamen....but all who signed to join Navy also agree for duty on waters.

43 Likes

Re: Why Is Beard Allowed In The Navy But Disallowed In The Army And Airforce by millhouse: 3:35pm On Oct 20, 2018
Due to their calling to be on the high sea .. it is assumed access to shaving tools on the low while on water . Thus u are allowed to groom beards (neat one though ) secondly U can keep beards for medical reasons .. once u produce medical papers to back it up .
Re: Why Is Beard Allowed In The Navy But Disallowed In The Army And Airforce by AgentGoat: 3:47pm On Oct 20, 2018
Hitlergaddafi shebi u be military come answer this question?
Re: Why Is Beard Allowed In The Navy But Disallowed In The Army And Airforce by okwabayi(m): 5:35pm On Oct 20, 2018
Re: Why Is Beard Allowed In The Navy But Disallowed In The Army And Airforce by BafanaBafana: 6:44pm On Oct 20, 2018
gidgiddy:
I think he did after he defected. I've seen his pictures
Re: Why Is Beard Allowed In The Navy But Disallowed In The Army And Airforce by gidgiddy: 6:59pm On Oct 20, 2018
BafanaBafana:

I think he did after he defected. I've seen his pictures

Ojukwu had a beard when he was military governor of the East, long before he declared Biafra

1 Like

Re: Why Is Beard Allowed In The Navy But Disallowed In The Army And Airforce by Buharimustgo: 7:21pm On Oct 20, 2018
Ok
Re: Why Is Beard Allowed In The Navy But Disallowed In The Army And Airforce by PatrickOkunima(m): 7:38pm On Oct 20, 2018
Beards is not allowed in the Nigerian military (Army, Navy and Airforce). However, for those with very delicate skin (I mean those who experience bumps, after shaving), excuse may be granted by a competent military doctor. I think Navy doctors grant such excuse more than Airforce and Army doctors, the reason you see more Navy guys wear beards.

In the Nigerian Navy, the only time you can grow bears, without a permit is:

1. When you're on leave, or

2. When you're at sea, onboard a Non-Nigerian Navy Ship.

Contrary to what the OP said, less than 2% of Nigerian Navy personnel keep beards.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Beard Allowed In The Navy But Disallowed In The Army And Airforce by Kalapizim(m): 7:53pm On Oct 20, 2018
Special forces members of the Army keep beards.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Beard Allowed In The Navy But Disallowed In The Army And Airforce by GeorgeTheCoder: 7:54pm On Oct 20, 2018
Two reasons :

1. It is difficult to get sufficient materials for hygiene when on long deployment at sea. Soldiers and Air Force personnel do not face this problem unless they are on long tour of duty, then the rule is relaxed for them.

2. Beards are disallowed among active personnel because wearing a beard prevents face masks from fitting snugly in the event of a chemical weapons attack. Chemical attacks are usually directed against massed troop formations and installations. These are usually located in land. Chemical attacks are not a significant threat at sea.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Beard Allowed In The Navy But Disallowed In The Army And Airforce by melanch(m): 8:10pm On Oct 20, 2018
This is enlightening. Should be on fp.
Re: Why Is Beard Allowed In The Navy But Disallowed In The Army And Airforce by ChiefAzubuike(f): 8:17pm On Oct 20, 2018
PatrickOkunima:
Beards is not allowed in the Nigerian military (Army, Navy and Airforce). However, for those with very delicate skin (I mean those who experience bumps, after shaving), excuse may be granted by a competent military doctor. I think Navy doctors grant such excuse more than Airforce and Army doctors, the reason you see more Navy guys wear beards.

Contrary to what the OP said, less than 2% of Nigerian Navy personnel keep beards.
Nigerian army special forces also keep beards.
Re: Why Is Beard Allowed In The Navy But Disallowed In The Army And Airforce by SarkinYarki: 8:18pm On Oct 20, 2018
ChiefAzubuike:

The reason is simply a tradition borne out of common sense , Sailors can spend months on Sea at at time and on such tours they wil not the have priveledge of shaving every day at sea and Again life at sea can be pretty cold and beards are used to provide some warmth .
Re: Why Is Beard Allowed In The Navy But Disallowed In The Army And Airforce by calddon(m): 8:35pm On Oct 20, 2018
Depends on your assignment, those on some form of special service are allowed to keep well trimed beards
Re: Why Is Beard Allowed In The Navy But Disallowed In The Army And Airforce by sinkhole: 8:38pm On Oct 20, 2018
GeorgeTheCoder:
Two reasons :

1. It is difficult to get sufficient materials for hygiene when on long deployment at sea. Soldiers and Air Force personnel do not face this problem unless they are on long tour of duty, then the rule is relaxed for them.

2. Beards are disallowed among active personnel because wearing a beard prevents face masks from fitting snugly in the event of a chemical weapons attack. Chemical attacks are usually directed against massed troop formations and installations. These are usually located in land. Chemical attacks are not a significant threat at sea.
just an observation on point 1: the land force may also not have the luxury of shaving when on long expedition, like those fighting BokoHaram for years now!

1 Like

Re: Why Is Beard Allowed In The Navy But Disallowed In The Army And Airforce by Famocious(m): 10:26pm On Oct 20, 2018
PatrickOkunima:

As a youth Corp doctor, I gave a lot of excuse permit to keep beard for some naval ratings and some officers on medical ground.. Got some good cash for that though grin

1 Like

Re: Why Is Beard Allowed In The Navy But Disallowed In The Army And Airforce by kellyJames5(m): 11:13pm On Oct 20, 2018
Famocious:

As a youth Corp doctor, I gave a lot of excuse permit to keep beard for some naval ratings and some officers on medical ground.. Got some good cash for that though grin

And you're happy?

Talk of corruption.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Beard Allowed In The Navy But Disallowed In The Army And Airforce by Nobody: 11:41pm On Oct 20, 2018
Not interested in the mumbo jumbo of land and naval force...just the thought of a grown assed fine man in uniform and beard...Lord have mercy! There's gonna be war between the sheets...abeg lemme come and be going jor @op setting imagination on fire and no specimen on Nairaland to back it up... undecided
Re: Why Is Beard Allowed In The Navy But Disallowed In The Army And Airforce by Nobody: 11:42pm On Oct 20, 2018
ChiefAzubuike:
...back up your assertion with some pictures,ok?
Re: Why Is Beard Allowed In The Navy But Disallowed In The Army And Airforce by Hotfreezer: 12:39am On Oct 21, 2018
BlaqCoffee109:
Not interested in the mumbo jumbo of land and naval force...just the thought of a grown assed fine man in uniform and beard...Lord have mercy! There's gonna be war between the sheets...abeg lemme come and be going jor @op setting imagination on fire and no specimen on Nairaland to back it up... undecided

Re: Why Is Beard Allowed In The Navy But Disallowed In The Army And Airforce by Nobody: 1:11am On Oct 21, 2018
Re: Why Is Beard Allowed In The Navy But Disallowed In The Army And Airforce by Nobody: 1:13am On Oct 21, 2018
Hot Freezer, yo mama tongue ...is it my fault you are beardless? undecided
Re: Why Is Beard Allowed In The Navy But Disallowed In The Army And Airforce by Bane2020: 3:05am On Oct 21, 2018
BabaRamota1980:

Hair helps to regulate body temperature. When cold it keeps skin warm, when hot it assists perspiration.

By default a clean shaven face is viewed as a symbol of youthfullness and with that a position of agility, a state of readiness.

The same reason Navy is exempted from shaving face is also why they are the only arm of service that have trunkcoats and heavy sweaters as part of their uniform. Their job takes them into seas and storms and cold conditions. It is for assisting the body to keep warm at sea.

Not all posted Navy personnel are seamen....but all who signed to join Navy also agree for duty on waters.
Babaramota... My guy so you get sense like this? Happy weekend bro.
Re: Why Is Beard Allowed In The Navy But Disallowed In The Army And Airforce by DaFlash: 7:39am On Oct 21, 2018
So that this can fit in

But i don't think our army don't even know the reason why. grin

Re: Why Is Beard Allowed In The Navy But Disallowed In The Army And Airforce by DaFlash: 7:41am On Oct 21, 2018
DaFlash:
So that this can fit in

But i don't think our army don't even know the reason why. grin
That's why Nigerian army is the easiest to conquer.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Beard Allowed In The Navy But Disallowed In The Army And Airforce by Famocious(m): 11:08am On Oct 21, 2018
kellyJames5:

And you're happy?

Talk of corruption.
Nah.. I was sad.
How is that a corruption?

1 Like

Re: Why Is Beard Allowed In The Navy But Disallowed In The Army And Airforce by BafanaBafana: 11:15am On Oct 21, 2018
Even soldiers in battle zone keep beards. That's how we identify a soldier that just came from Sambisa area

(1) (Reply)

Peter Obi condemns Nabeeha's killing, laments rising Insecurity / Just In- Tambuwal Sacks Information Commissioner For Defecting / Insecurity: Killings, Destructions In North Going Out Of Hand, Elders Cry Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.