Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,365 members, 7,850,336 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 06:46 PM

Brekete Presenter And His Below Par Journalistic Ethics - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Brekete Presenter And His Below Par Journalistic Ethics (830 Views)

NBC Sanctions Brekete Family Radio For Recurring Unprofessional Conduct / Ordinary President: Brekete Family To End Programme Amid Slapping Saga / Osinbajo On Brekete Radio Show This Morning With "Ordinary President". (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Brekete Presenter And His Below Par Journalistic Ethics by tracychelsea13: 10:01am On Oct 23, 2018
On 22 October I had the misfortune of listening to the programme called Brekete on Human Rights Radio and it turned out to one of my worst journalistic experiences ever particularly because I am Lagos-based.

I have nothing against the programme or the presenter but it’s time that some reform is introduced to the show. The programme which is supposed to help resolve human rights cases turned out to be more dehumanizing and embarrassing to say the least.

The presenter of the programme who is referred to as an ordinary president was obnoxious in his carriage, his presentation and even in his reaction to those who he is supposed to help.

It looks more like he set out to humiliate those who thronged his programmme daily. From what I hear, this ordinary president has a large audience and that is very frightening. His bullying tactics and larger than life approach made his programme repugnant.

What shocks me even more is the total disregard for journalism ethics. Having worked in both broadcast and print media, I know how a radio presenter should compose himself and what can be said on air.

During the programme on 22 October, Ordinary Ahmed referred to one of his ‘victims’ and a victim of Human Rights abuse as a tuberculosis patient just because the person was coughing on air. If he were a trained journalist, he would know that some people get nervous on air and could be shaking uncontrollably from the stage fright, others can cough to gain confidence while some exude eccrine glands.

He later then tried to explain that the person coughing should go and clear his throat before coming back into the radio studio.

But not him, he ordered the people he was supposed to help like they were slaves. He shut them down while they answer questions at will and ultimately makes the final decision on what the verdict should be. He lacks decorum and professionalism and should not be allowed to air a programme especially if children are listening on their way to school.

They will think that is the norm, they will think that talking arrogantly and shouting other people down is the norm.

It’s also worthy to note that on 22 October he began by eulogizing the late Chief Justice of Nigeria Idris Kutigi who he pointed out had corrected him in the past for his carriage and failed knowledge of the law.

I wonder what will happen if ordinary president is given real powers through a government appointment or via election, it will be nothing short of having the military back in full swing.

Again, I reiterate that I have nothing against ‘ordinary president’ but he needs to reform himself and restore journalism ethics. The fifth estate of the realm is not supposed to bully, humiliate and talk down people it should help.

Journalists are the voice of the voiceless and not the oppressors of the oppressed. He needs to treat people with respect and listen to them when they answer. Not every is eloquent but once you’ve brought people to your programme listen to them and call on the right authorities to investigate cases instead of brandishing going to the courtroom like it’s a beer parlour or hotel.

I also hope his listeners can help make him a better person instead of accepting his below par journalistic attitude on radio. It would make Nigeria a better place.

God Bless Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Brekete Presenter And His Below Par Journalistic Ethics by atiku4President(m): 10:29am On Oct 23, 2018
Are you for real? What is the bar in he first place? Are you considering your audience who are mostly uneducated are face raw and miserable lives each day?

1 Like

Re: Brekete Presenter And His Below Par Journalistic Ethics by nabiz(m): 10:36am On Oct 23, 2018
tracychelsea13:
On 22 October I had the misfortune of listening to the programme called Brekete on Human Rights Radio and it turned out to one of my worst journalistic experiences ever particularly because I am Lagos-based.

I have nothing against the programme or the presenter but it’s time that some reform is introduced to the show. The programme which is supposed to help resolve human rights cases turned out to be more dehumanizing and embarrassing to say the least.

The presenter of the programme who is referred to as an ordinary president was obnoxious in his carriage, his presentation and even in his reaction to those who he is supposed to help.

It looks more like he set out to humiliate those who thronged his programmme daily. From what I hear, this ordinary president has a large audience and that is very frightening. His bullying tactics and larger than life approach made his programme repugnant.

What shocks me even more is the total disregard for journalism ethics. Having worked in both broadcast and print media, I know how a radio presenter should compose himself and what can be said on air.

During the programme on 22 October, Ordinary Ahmed referred to one of his ‘victims’ and a victim of Human Rights abuse as a tuberculosis patient just because the person was coughing on air. If he were a trained journalist, he would know that some people get nervous on air and could be shaking uncontrollably from the stage fright, others can cough to gain confidence while some exude eccrine glands.

He later then tried to explain that the person coughing should go and clear his throat before coming back into the radio studio.

But not him, he ordered the people he was supposed to help like they were slaves. He shut them down while they answer questions at will and ultimately makes the final decision on what the verdict should be. He lacks decorum and professionalism and should not be allowed to air a programme especially if children are listening on their way to school.

They will think that is the norm, they will think that talking arrogantly and shouting other people down is the norm.

It’s also worthy to note that on 22 October he began by eulogizing the late Chief Justice of Nigeria Idris Kutigi who he pointed out had corrected him in the past for his carriage and failed knowledge of the law.

I wonder what will happen if ordinary president is given real powers through a government appointment or via election, it will be nothing short of having the military back in full swing.

Again, I reiterate that I have nothing against ‘ordinary president’ but he needs to reform himself and restore journalism ethics. The fifth estate of the realm is not supposed to bully, humiliate and talk down people it should help.

Journalists are the voice of the voiceless and not the oppressors of the oppressed. He needs to treat people with respect and listen to them when they answer. Not every is eloquent but once you’ve brought people to your programme listen to them and call on the right authorities to investigate cases instead of brandishing going to the courtroom like it’s a beer parlour or hotel.

I also hope his listeners can help make him a better person instead of accepting his below par journalistic attitude on radio. It would make Nigeria a better place.

God Bless Nigeria
go and sit down. Who has your journalism ethics help in nigeria. Ahmed may have his own weakness as a man but believe me if we have more people like him in this country things will be good. Infact i see jealous in your eyes or your hand is not clean.

2 Likes

Re: Brekete Presenter And His Below Par Journalistic Ethics by seunmsg(m): 10:43am On Oct 23, 2018
Ahmed Issa may not be perfect when it comes to adhering to the ethos of journalism, however, his good works far outweighs his imperfection. Fela is still regarded as a music icon up till today worldwide. If we are to look at some of his behaviors while alive, we would have lots of reasons to call him out for his imperfections. People like Fela and Ahmed Issa are very rare creatures that we should always celebrate irrespective of their human imperfections.

4 Likes

Re: Brekete Presenter And His Below Par Journalistic Ethics by KEVIND: 10:57am On Oct 23, 2018
Yes. I hope he make amends cos a lot of people believe in what he's doing. Expecially the way he help the helpless in the society. I do follow him live online quite often. but to add to your observation i was taken aback when he said on live programme OBJ siphoned $16 billion dollars from Ajaokuta steel complex. Journalism is about fact and figures & not just moving with the tides.

1 Like

Re: Brekete Presenter And His Below Par Journalistic Ethics by Eketem: 11:22am On Oct 23, 2018
People will come and attack you, it is common with abusers to endear themselves to large audience who will cheer and defend them.

The sad part is any agency who will try to call him to order will be bullied and blackmailed, he has mastered the art of bullying heads of agencies so much that they do what he wants or he harass them till they get sacked. Unfortunately he befriends all leaders who are afraid of his large reach so nobody can do anything to him.

I lost it the day he refered to women who give birth via CS as fake women, he said real African women only have vaginal birth and very easy fake women will be making their husbands waste money, unfortunately this kind of mentality has led to the death of so many women .

I really hope he learns and understands that even him is not perfect, the way he talks down on people, cuts guests off and imposes his opinions hmmm but talk now they will abuse and attack you
Re: Brekete Presenter And His Below Par Journalistic Ethics by Eketem: 11:25am On Oct 23, 2018
KEVIND:
Yes. I hope he make amends cos a lot of people believe in what he's doing. Expecially the way he help the helpless in the society. I do follow him live online quite often. but to add to your observation i was taken aback when he said on live programme OBJ siphoned $16 billion dollars from Ajaokuta steel complex. Journalism is about fact and figures & not just moving with the tides.

What people do not understand he does this with every government, he praises them when they are in power and accuses them of all sorts when they leave.

There was one former FCT police commissioner who he was always praising, who will always pick calls and respond to him, when the man was transferred he started abusing him and accusing him of stalling his case, I was shocked
Re: Brekete Presenter And His Below Par Journalistic Ethics by KEVIND: 11:41am On Oct 23, 2018
Eketem:

What people do not understand he does this with every government, he praises them when they are in power and accuses them of all sorts when they leave.

There was one former FCT police commissioner who he was always praising, who will always pick calls and respond to him, when the man was transferred he started abusing him and accusing him of stalling his case, I was shocked

I know Ahmed Issa is fearless but what I'm saying is that his claim that OBJ siphoned $16 billon dollars from Ajaokuta steel is not correct. His claim lack all the verifiable facts.
Re: Brekete Presenter And His Below Par Journalistic Ethics by Eketem: 11:51am On Oct 23, 2018
KEVIND:

I know Ahmed Issa is fearless but what I'm saying is that his claim that OBJ siphoned $16 billon dollars from Ajaokuta steel is not correct. His claim lack all the verifiable facts.

I am saying the same thing

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING: Nigerian Army Locates Grave Where Missing General Was Buried / Breaking: ASUU Begins Strike / Breaking News! Give Us Akpabio’s Handover Notes Now- Apc To Gov. Udom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.