Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,010 members, 7,814,447 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:04 PM

Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) (32920 Views)

Kingpin Of Rwanda Genocide Arrested / Here Is The Real Cause Of The Rwanda Genocide / 100 Days Of Hell, Remembering The Rwanda Genocide In Harrowing Photos. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by Ishilove: 4:43pm On Oct 26, 2018
This narration messed me up badly. I have witnessed a small riot just once in my young life and I was terrified, so i can't wrap my head around the unspeakable horror of this story.

For those of you who are quick to shout war, can you really withstand it?

Please read and introspect on man's inhumanity to man. The stories are in the pictures.

“My father was well respected in the community. He was a university lecturer and a choir member. But he was always working, so my mother was primarily the one who raised us. Her name was Consolee. She had this deep sorrow about her. She was an orphan because her..."

3 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by Ishilove: 4:43pm On Oct 26, 2018
“When the presidential plane was shot down, people began to gossip about the impending genocide. The streets were empty. Nobody was traveling long distances. We started to hear tales of violence. Relatives from other regions would arrive on our doorstep with..."

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by Ishilove: 4:43pm On Oct 26, 2018
“If you are being hunted, this bush is one of the best places to hide. Every genocide survivor in Rwanda can tell you about this type of bush. It’s full of thorns. But if you crawl on your stomach, you can get inside. And if you can get inside— you can finally take..."

6 Shares

Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by Ishilove: 4:45pm On Oct 26, 2018
“Our family was a top target because my father was so prominent. So when the genocide officially commenced, the killing squads came straight to our home. One of our neighbors peeled away from the group and ran ahead to warn us. He came down our street, screaming at..."

1 Like 4 Shares

Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by Ishilove: 4:47pm On Oct 26, 2018
“On the day I watched my father die, this is the skirt I was wearing. I was only twenty-one years old. I completely lost my will to live. I walked down the street like a zombie. I came to this house. The owner wasn’t home at the time because she was busy looting..."

4 Shares

Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by Ishilove: 4:48pm On Oct 26, 2018
“The next morning, I heard people calling my name and I decided to show myself. I was too exhausted to resist. They told me there had been a general pardon for women and children. And all of us who believed the rumor were taken to this place-- the house of a..."

3 Shares

Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by Ishilove: 4:49pm On Oct 26, 2018
“I woke up to find that I’d been discovered by a soldier. He dragged me to my feet and led me down the street to this alleyway. He pointed his gun at me, and told me to say goodbye to my life. At that point I felt ready to die. But that’s when Mary came running..."

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by Ishilove: 4:51pm On Oct 26, 2018
“There were twelve people in my family before the genocide. I’m the only one who survived. We recovered eight of the bodies. And we buried the bones we were able to find. I didn’t trust anyone after the genocide. Even when I was rescued by the..."

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by Ishilove: 4:51pm On Oct 26, 2018
“This is a picture of my father before the genocide. He’s surrounded by his Hutu friends. They’re sharing beer. They’re talking. They always viewed him as a good person. They’d even come to our home and flatter us. They’d tell my sisters and me how good of..."

9 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by Ishilove: 5:43pm On Oct 26, 2018
Read more stories via this link. Not to worry, it is part of your daily dose of depressing news-https://mobile.twitter.com/humansofny/status/1055271240993132544

2 Likes

Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by firestar(f): 8:44pm On Oct 26, 2018
Speechless.

11 Likes

Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by Ishilove: 9:46pm On Oct 26, 2018
firestar:
Speechless.
Man's violence is worse than animals' because it is usually thought out and planned before execution.

19 Likes

Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by firestar(f): 7:25am On Oct 27, 2018
Ishilove:

Man violence is worse than animals' because it is usually thought out and planned before execution.

cry cry

Her father’s friends dined with him...
They...

(God Almighty...) cry cry

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by jiddama(f): 7:25pm On Oct 27, 2018
I never seem to get myself to finish watching the film "hotel Rwanda".... knowing art imitated life.

She is a strong woman who chose forgiveness despite the hand she was dealt , I have no words to describe Mary, but she's the quintessential definition of humanity and a testimony that good people still exist.

The fact that she is talking about it shows she's healing .

The truth is being spoken, that's the first step to reconciliation...

"Bandage don't fix bullet holes if you live like that you live with ghosts"

"God will never help an unjust nation even if they are believers,but will help a just one even if they are unbelievers"

I pray rwanda and every other war-ravaged country in the world find its footing.

May the horrors of war never visit us again as a nation.

76 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by vickyO(f): 9:15am On Oct 28, 2018
I had to hold tears back. To watch your father die and listen to your entire family's harrowing screams of death is the worst kind of horror. As I read it, I felt like hugging her. Teaching her son to trust and love again - those who killed her family.

You never remain the same.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by Mintayo(m): 9:02pm On Oct 28, 2018
This is Sad. Most times when I read stories like this, I always ask myself how the soldiers that participated in the killings, rapings etc feel after the war. The atrocities they have committed, how do they live with that?

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by naptu2: 10:32pm On Oct 28, 2018
Mintayo:
This is Sad. Most times when I read stories like this, I always ask myself how the soldiers that participated in the killings, rapings etc feel after the war. The atrocities they have committed, how do they live with that?

I listened to an interview that General Roméo Dallaire gave to the BBC World Service in the early 2000s.

General Dallaire was the head of the UN peacekeeping force in Rwanda before and during the genocide. He suspected that the killings were about to happen and he asked the UN for more troops (his force was pretty small) but they refused to send more troops to him. The Americans did not want to send more troops to another African country (that they did not really care about) after what happened to their troops in Somalia.

He also asked for permission to seize weapons that the Hutus were stockpiling, but his superiors in New York refused to give him permission.

Eventually he had to focus his small body of troops on parts of Kigali in which he knew that Tutsis were hiding. He eventually saved thousands of Tutsis.

Yet he had post traumatic stress disorder because of the events that he witnessed in Rwanda. He repeatedly tried to kill himself because of the psychological torture he experienced whenever he remembered what happened in Rwanda.

75 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by Mintayo(m): 9:44pm On Oct 29, 2018
naptu2:

I listened to an interview that General Roméo Dallaire gave to the BBC World Service in the early 2000s.

General Dallaire was the head of the UN peacekeeping force in Rwanda before and during the genocide. He suspected that the killings were about to happen and he asked the UN for more troops (his force was pretty small) but they refused to send more troops to him. The Americans did not want to send more troops to another African country (that they did not really care about) after what happened to their troops in Somalia.

He also asked for permission to seize weapons that the Hutus were stockpiling, but his superiors in New York refused to give him permission.

Eventually he had to focus his small body of troops on parts of Kigali in which he knew that Tutsis were hiding. He eventually saved thousands of Tutsis.

Yet he had post traumatic stress disorder because of the events that he witnessed in Rwanda. He repeatedly tried to kill himself because of the psychological torture he experienced whenever he remembered what happened in Rwanda.
Its unimaginable what the man must have seen, the killings, and all that. Its enough to make someone go mad. After watching hotel Rwanda and sometimes in April some years ago, i found it difficult to sleep for a long time. I just pray stuffs like this do not happen in Nigeria.

32 Likes

Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by Kajiang02(m): 5:19am On Nov 01, 2018
There's this feelings I always have when I listen to the track "Million voices" by Wyclef.

This is really man's inhumanity to man.
What a life.
@Lalasticlala
Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by Ishilove: 4:11pm On Nov 01, 2018
naptu2:

Good Lord... cry

1 Like

Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by Nobody: 4:36pm On Nov 01, 2018
Chaii

Even over. 200 thousand have been sent to their early graves by mohamurder buhari- Mr intagrity

6 Likes

Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by Nobody: 4:37pm On Nov 01, 2018
Just worst like suicide, it is well may God grant the families the fortitude to bear the loss.
Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by soberdrunk(m): 4:37pm On Nov 01, 2018
Sad! All you 'keyboard freedom fighters' let this be a lesson to you all....... angry

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by yjgm(m): 4:37pm On Nov 01, 2018
Rwanda genocide was something else. Peace is the word
Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by Sirheny007(m): 4:38pm On Nov 01, 2018
undecided
Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by shumuel(m): 4:39pm On Nov 01, 2018
Nigerians need to read this, so badly so we can learn.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rwanda Genocide: A Survivor's Heart Rending Testimony (Pics) by Mafialeader: 4:39pm On Nov 01, 2018
War is not a good thing to witness, even the soldiers who fight pray for peace.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Gambia Army Chief Says Troops Will Not Fight Intervention / Jesse Griesel Sparks Outrage Running For Julius Malema's Party In SA (PIX) / ECO: West Africa Renames CFA Franc But Keeps It Pegged To Euro

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.