Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,628 members, 7,813,074 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:27 AM

After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) (34905 Views)

84-Year-Old Kenyan Man Returns Home, Discovers That His 2 Wives Had Remarried / What Is The Penalty Given To A Man Who Didn't Pay Lady's Dowry Before She Died? / Man Pays Tribute To His Late Wife Who Died During Childbirth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by PrettyGist: 12:23pm On Oct 28, 2018
After 46 years of marriage, 84-year-old man, John Olusola Ojo, who is a pastor has paid the dowry of his wife, Olabisi, who is 70 years old.

In an interview with Tribune, Pastor Ojo said he decided to honor his wife by going to pay her dowry in September, years after her family initially disagreed on their union.

Going down memory lane, Pastor Ojo said when he met Olabisi during his youth, he was very poor and also had come from a poor family background. Olabisi on the other hand, was from a priviledged home. At the time they met, she was living with her Uncle who was grooming her for one of his colleagues who worked as a driver at the Nigeria Railway Corporation. He said;

“When all persuasions to make my in-laws accept their daughter’s bride price from me failed, the General Superintendent of the Christ Apostolic Church, Nigeria, advised us to go by statutory marriage through which we were certified as husband and wife in 1972. Few years into our marriage, my in-laws had a change of heart; since then we have maintained a good rapport,”

Pa Ojo says they lived so happily that his in-laws forgot to ask him for the dowry of their daughter.

On her part, Mrs Ojo said she agreed to stick with her husband at the time when he as poor because she knew she could afford to take care of the him.

“I knew I could take care of him, I concluded so because my parents were financially buoyant – my mother was a produce buyer while my father was a commercial farmer. But to my people, he was poor beyond redemption, they called him ‘one-man-one-jacket.’ It took much pacification before I was allowed to marry him. I thank God for his mercy on both of us, our children inclusive for whom we have become today. I have to thank Him especially for His special kindness to me.

Up till this moment, I have never had any cause to regret that I married my husband. Most especially, I am grateful to God that I am also among those women who were married traditionally; appreciating me before my people by paying my dowry. I am indeed happy that it happened to me,” she enthused.

Gist via Gistmore - https://gistmore.com/46-years-marriage-84-year-old-man-pays-wife-dowry

26 Likes 5 Shares

Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by PrettyGist: 12:23pm On Oct 28, 2018

2 Likes

Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by cooldipo(m): 12:23pm On Oct 28, 2018
Never too late!

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by Blakjewelry(m): 12:25pm On Oct 28, 2018
the guy is wicked sha

13 Likes

Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by phr33man(m): 12:25pm On Oct 28, 2018
Better late than never.

But who did he pay to?

57 Likes 1 Share

Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by Nobody: 12:50pm On Oct 28, 2018
Moral of the story. Always pay your debt because your in-laws will never forget....

71 Likes

Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by jacksondavies(m): 1:02pm On Oct 28, 2018
Xaos:
Moral of the story. Always pay your debt because your in-laws will never forget....

True talk baba.

Amnesia no dey worry anybody for that side.

29 Likes

Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by Headlesschicken(m): 1:02pm On Oct 28, 2018
grin Better late than never...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by Kwamecron(m): 1:30pm On Oct 28, 2018
Many in his shoes now

3 Likes

Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 1:43pm On Oct 28, 2018
In my opinion it was quite unnecessary.

10 Likes

Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by chiommy123(f): 3:12pm On Oct 28, 2018
There's no never there cos you must pay even if she dies. so to help you bargain better pay when she is still alive or else you pay through your nose

7 Likes

Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by Segunade10: 4:40pm On Oct 28, 2018
wink
Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by Biglittlelois(f): 4:40pm On Oct 28, 2018
Op change your topic to "46 years of living together" they were never married, they were living in sin-fornication, without paying bride price or dowry any form of "marriage" is useless.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by bunmioguns(m): 4:40pm On Oct 28, 2018
cool
Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by Nobody: 4:41pm On Oct 28, 2018
Nt new
Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by tosyne2much(m): 4:41pm On Oct 28, 2018
And the debtor actually paid
Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by arabbunkum: 4:41pm On Oct 28, 2018
Na wa o lipsrsealed
Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by nabegibeg: 4:41pm On Oct 28, 2018
PrettyGist:
After 46 years of marriage, 84-year-old man, John Olusola Ojo, who is a pastor has paid the dowry of his wife, Olabisi, who is 70 years old.

In an interview with Tribune, Pastor Ojo said he decided to honor his wife by going to pay her dowry in September, years after her family initially disagreed on their union.

Going down memory lane, Pastor Ojo said when he met Olabisi during his youth, he was very poor and also had come from a poor family background. Olabisi on the other hand, was from a priviledged home. At the time they met, she was living with her Uncle who was grooming her for one of his colleagues who worked as a driver at the Nigeria Railway Corporation. He said;

“When all persuasions to make my in-laws accept their daughter’s bride price from me failed, the General Superintendent of the Christ Apostolic Church, Nigeria, advised us to go by statutory marriage through which we were certified as husband and wife in 1972. Few years into our marriage, my in-laws had a change of heart; since then we have maintained a good rapport,”

Pa Ojo says they lived so happily that his in-laws forgot to ask him for the dowry of their daughter.

On her part, Mrs Ojo said she agreed to stick with her husband at the time when he as poor because she knew she could afford to take care of the him.

“I knew I could take care of him, I concluded so because my parents were financially buoyant – my mother was a produce buyer while my father was a commercial farmer. But to my people, he was poor beyond redemption, they called him ‘one-man-one-jacket.’ It took much pacification before I was allowed to marry him. I thank God for his mercy on both of us, our children inclusive for whom we have become today. I have to thank Him especially for His special kindness to me.

Up till this moment, I have never had any cause to regret that I married my husband. Most especially, I am grateful to God that I am also among those women who were married traditionally; appreciating me before my people by paying my dowry. I am indeed happy that it happened to me,” she enthused.

Gist via Gistmore - https://gistmore.com/46-years-marriage-84-year-old-man-pays-wife-dowry

He did the honourable thing as custom and tradition demands

5 Likes

Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by ItsTutsi(m): 4:42pm On Oct 28, 2018
so he has been banging that pussy for 46 years free of charge

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by SAMBARRY: 4:42pm On Oct 28, 2018
Is it even compulsory sef?

After they're grandparents they remembered dowry.smh.agba okogbon loto

Wisdom is not a function of old age

1 Like 1 Share

Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by depezee(m): 4:43pm On Oct 28, 2018
No be today cohabiting started, even the grannies are very much aware of it.

5 Likes

Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by Burgerlomo: 4:43pm On Oct 28, 2018
cool

Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by jamezman(m): 4:43pm On Oct 28, 2018
Blakjewelry:
the guy is wicked sha
You just use style mumu sha...

1 Like

Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by CuTTiieAngeL(f): 4:43pm On Oct 28, 2018
Wow

1 Like

Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by t00dugged(f): 4:44pm On Oct 28, 2018
if I get the narrative ,they are legally married just not traditionally, anyway ,its better late than never .

6 Likes

Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by visijo(m): 4:45pm On Oct 28, 2018
is He related to Buhari ?
Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by KingSatan: 4:46pm On Oct 28, 2018
This was when TRUE LOVE existed. Whenever I say "Older women have my respect" I believe you all now know why.

Sometime ago a New generation Nigerian woman trended online for saying "At this stage of my life, I will not marry a man without a car". I as Satan the Lucifer, I was shocked because that same lady is over 35 years and obviously depreciating. But there she was placing a "Liability" as prerequisite for marriage.

Congrats to the Husband and Wife.

Now to those reading my message. Marriage is the decision of the Man and wife. Do not frustrate intending couples with a great financial burden or bogus traditional rites. Allow them to live happily as man and wife. If they have made a decision then support them and stop demanding for 30 gallons of palm oil when you know deep inside your heart that you can't afford a drop of oil. A woman is not a commodity anymore.

The practice of bride price is archaic and barbaric (Though it's still evident in our various traditions). When such laws were enacted women never had any rights, some were seen as less humans or commodities to be sold. Instead of sending them to school, they train them on home chores and preparation of various dishes. These women were sold out according to their value in the guise of the Bride Price.

A bride should not have a price tag. She is not a commodity. She is a priceless jewel, a rare gemstone.

Let's advocate for the total annihilation of the Bride Price and the regulation of traditional marriage rites by the traditional heads in our communities. As this is the only solution to unlawful cohabitation.

If you so love your sister or daughter then support her decision to get married and do not demand any price for her. Wish her well and celebrate her. Make it clear to the groom that you are not taking any dime from him as your daughter is priceless and has a greater value than money.

Marriage is getting too expensive and it is a threat to lawful cohabitation.

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by miqos02(m): 4:47pm On Oct 28, 2018
So cool
Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by Genniez(f): 4:48pm On Oct 28, 2018
The man doesn't want his children(daughters) dowry to be corner kick like today's match,wise of him so he can also get his share from his offspring..
Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by millionboi2: 4:48pm On Oct 28, 2018
Blakjewelry:
the guy is wicked sha
beta than never
Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by tossie101(f): 4:49pm On Oct 28, 2018
Lol
Re: After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) by Nobody: 4:51pm On Oct 28, 2018

Thumb up to the woman for sticking to the man she love despite him been poor and family pressure, something far away from this new generation ladies

And to some people saying they are cohabiting - NO THEY ARE NOT, he offered to pay the bride price but the IN LAW REJECTED it, and they went ahead on advice of their church to have A STATUTORY WEDDING, rather than killing their beautiful love because of some problematic inlaw

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

HIV-Positive Woman Arrested For Breastfeeding Neighbour’s Baby / Akwa-Ibom Baby Left To Starve & Die For Being A Witch In Healthy-Looking Photos / Did This Happen In Your Family While Growing Up? (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.