Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,381 members, 7,812,118 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:35 AM

What Is The Penalty Given To A Man Who Didn't Pay Lady's Dowry Before She Died? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Is The Penalty Given To A Man Who Didn't Pay Lady's Dowry Before She Died? (35710 Views)

Nigerian Lady Who Declared Mum Missing 4 Days Ago Finds Out She Died In Accident / US Woman Reunites With Daughter 70 Years After She Was Told She Died In Labour / Women Who Didn't Marry As Virgin Should Return To Their Parent's House -Man Says (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Penalty Given To A Man Who Didn't Pay Lady's Dowry Before She Died? by Omuneizzy6(m): 9:02pm On Jun 10, 2020
Hello Nairalanders, its been a while I was in a grieved and depressed mood, trying to gain back my self.

Let's go straight to the topic.
I will really love you guys to help with your good takes on this issue.

Please don't mind my poor grammar.

Sometimes last year, I was in a relationship with this young pretty girl and later she became pregnant for me. Which I had in mind that we will marry in the nearest future but, yet to settle her bride price.
Though, we really loved each other, I devoted 90% of my effort and time for her genuinely.

Even one of her brothers has met me in different occasions asking when I will see the family but I told him, due to my Assignment and duty location once I settle down I will do that unfailingly.

Let me cut the whole story short.

During her delivery period she passed on while giving birth. I wasn't expecting that though I was really mad. May her soul rest in peace

I asked the brother what will be the next move, he said is to take her home and bury her. within me (just like that?) I couldn't control my tears We took her home and buried her few hours later.

On the fourth day of the burial, my parents asked the brothers and sisters both the elders. so what next they said nothing, after the burial everyone can leave. That was their reply.

My parents was like what of the other side? They said see, we don't want to bother your son we know how they were before the girl died, they really loved each other... If we ask you to pay anything. There is no amount of money paid that will bring back our sister's life so forget, what you people need to do, just stay, observe some rites and traditions like to buy drinks take care of the families and friends.. Till after the normal 8days everyone leaves.

Although, had it been it's in some places the family might not take it likely with me..
I must marry their daughter first,buy wrapper, pay her dowry, pay for the death, I must also prove innocence.

Now the question is, What is the punishment given to a man who didn't pay her lady's dowry before she died in your Place?

In Addition to that, is there any spiritual implications attached to it if a man didn't pay a lady's dowry before she died... Because I'm just scared.

Mod. please I need many takes on this. It will help a brother.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Penalty Given To A Man Who Didn't Pay Lady's Dowry Before She Died? by donbachi(m): 9:08pm On Jun 10, 2020
1: u go marry the deadbody
2: u go come do the burial,cos na ur wife.

118 Likes 10 Shares

Re: What Is The Penalty Given To A Man Who Didn't Pay Lady's Dowry Before She Died? by Ugaboy: 9:18pm On Jun 10, 2020
Elders of nairaland over to u

12 Likes

Re: What Is The Penalty Given To A Man Who Didn't Pay Lady's Dowry Before She Died? by Amotolongbo(f): 9:19pm On Jun 10, 2020
Dowry is being paid by women, not men.

Bride Prize is being paid by men.

@Dear OP, sorry for the loss.
It depends on the tribe and cultural values and norms.

In some parts of Igbo land, the man has to settle all the bride prize and probably have a wedding with the corpse before they can allow the corpse being buried.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2016/02/22/man-marries-wifes-corpse-in-anambra/amp/
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.informationng.com/2018/04/young-nigerian-man-forced-to-marry-corpse-of-woman-he-impregnated-without-paying-her-bride-price.html/amp
https://www.google.com/amp/s/dailypost.ng/2016/02/14/my-late-wifes-family-wants-me-to-marry-her-corpse-man-laments/

In major part of yoruba land where I come from, no much serious implication.

The major and utmost thing is that, try to know the in-depth of the cultural norms and values of the land which you are marrying from. Clear all the bills, settle everyone you are meant to settle before taking the bride or groom.
Every culture is meant to be observed and respected. If you find their culture so “barbaric”, don’t marry from there, it isn’t mandatory

65 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Penalty Given To A Man Who Didn't Pay Lady's Dowry Before She Died? by Petyprincess(f): 9:22pm On Jun 10, 2020
So sorry for your loss cry

I have never seen this kind situation bt i think it depends on the tribe she's from nd mind you, you can't do nothing until the family approves so it is left for the family to decide whatever they want.

Any repercussion? Not sure

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Penalty Given To A Man Who Didn't Pay Lady's Dowry Before She Died? by Poorboy: 9:25pm On Jun 10, 2020
Sorry for your lost, but as the family has said move on.

But what about the baby?

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Penalty Given To A Man Who Didn't Pay Lady's Dowry Before She Died? by edochie12: 9:30pm On Jun 10, 2020
If this thing has happened in the east,my brother u will suffer,u will marry her in death,infact u will regret ever meeting the girl for the first time

85 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Is The Penalty Given To A Man Who Didn't Pay Lady's Dowry Before She Died? by Nobody: 9:34pm On Jun 10, 2020
Wait let me call one elder for you.

cc: Daddytime

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Penalty Given To A Man Who Didn't Pay Lady's Dowry Before She Died? by boxer022(m): 9:39pm On Jun 10, 2020
I will say that you are indeed very lucky, that you have good in laws. What you did was very risky and not advisable for any man to try such a thing. Since you had the intention of making her your wife, why did you not go to your family to inform them on your decision and they accompany you to her family. At least even though you were not financially ready, you would have done even though it is introduction. After which you try your best to get money to pay at least part of her bride price, promising to complete it soonest. Back to your question, the punishment is paying for her bride price, it may be double, fulfilling all marital rights and also marry her.

33 Likes

Re: What Is The Penalty Given To A Man Who Didn't Pay Lady's Dowry Before She Died? by paulolee(m): 10:11pm On Jun 10, 2020
in ma tribe where am from in india,na woman de pay dowry, so if she doesn't pay and she died, her parents must pay am b4 they do the funeral rites.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Penalty Given To A Man Who Didn't Pay Lady's Dowry Before She Died? by Chifrane(f): 10:40pm On Jun 10, 2020
The penalty is much worst than marrying and abandoning your wife. It’s like that moment you killed a mad person on the streets believing no one would speak for her.
Anyway, overlook the title of this video, the content described in details the punishments meant for a man who didn’t pay any dowry or carry out an ordinary introduction on a woman and then she passes on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRGsnLrJbgY

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Penalty Given To A Man Who Didn't Pay Lady's Dowry Before She Died? by Futurejoy(f): 10:52pm On Jun 10, 2020
Chifrane:
The penalty is much worst than marrying and abandoning your wife. It’s like that moment you killed a mad person on the streets believing no one would speak for her.
Anyway, overlook the title of this video, the content described in details the punishments meant for a man who didn’t pay any dowry or carry out an ordinary introduction on a woman and then she passes on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRGsnLrJbgY
I was trying to go through you YouTube channel, I will most definitely subscribe. I am working on starting a YouTube channel soon, do you mind putting me through?

1 Like

Re: What Is The Penalty Given To A Man Who Didn't Pay Lady's Dowry Before She Died? by Omuneizzy6(m): 11:03pm On Jun 10, 2020
Poorboy:
Sorry for your lost, but as the family has said move on.

But what about the baby?

I lost the both
Re: What Is The Penalty Given To A Man Who Didn't Pay Lady's Dowry Before She Died? by Poorboy: 11:05pm On Jun 10, 2020
Omuneizzy6:
I lost the both
cry

6 Likes

Re: What Is The Penalty Given To A Man Who Didn't Pay Lady's Dowry Before She Died? by Chamber2000: 12:12am On Jun 11, 2020
Amotolongbo:

In some parts of Igbo land, the man has to settle all the bride prize and probably have a conjugal bliss with the corpse before they can allow the corpse being buried.

The major and utmost thing is that, try to know the in-depth of the cultural norms and values of the land which you are marrying from. Clear all the bills, settle everyone you are meant to settle before taking the bride or groom.
Every culture is meant to be observed and respected. If you find their culture so “barbaric”, don’t marry from there, it isn’t mandatory
Shut up. No part of Igboland will ask for a conjugal bliss with the corpse.

You are rather expected to pay twice the amount for marriage rites so that others can learn lessons about the importance of doing proper marital rites with a lady instead of living together as unmarried couples

70 Likes

Re: What Is The Penalty Given To A Man Who Didn't Pay Lady's Dowry Before She Died? by Shellsploit: 12:16am On Jun 11, 2020
Lalasticlala come and see this thread shocked
Re: What Is The Penalty Given To A Man Who Didn't Pay Lady's Dowry Before She Died? by daddytime(m): 12:19am On Jun 11, 2020
Men don't pay dowry.

Most people do not know this difference.

Men pay a bride price, while women pay a dowry, where such cultures exist like in India.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Penalty Given To A Man Who Didn't Pay Lady's Dowry Before She Died? by Amotolongbo(f): 12:33am On Jun 11, 2020
Chamber2000:
Shut up. No part of Igboland will ask for a conjugal bliss with the corpse.

You are rather expected to pay twice the amount for marriage rites so that others can learn lessons about the importance of doing proper marital rites with a lady instead of living together as unmarried couples
Go and tell your mother to shut up for failing to teach you manner!
Children roaming nairaland with their diapers

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2016/02/22/man-marries-wifes-corpse-in-anambra/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.informationng.com/2018/04/young-nigerian-man-forced-to-marry-corpse-of-woman-he-impregnated-without-paying-her-bride-price.html/amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/dailypost.ng/2016/02/14/my-late-wifes-family-wants-me-to-marry-her-corpse-man-laments/

39 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Is The Penalty Given To A Man Who Didn't Pay Lady's Dowry Before She Died? by Millennialaku(m): 12:37am On Jun 11, 2020
Amotolongbo:

In some parts of Igbo land, the man has to settle all the bride prize and probably have a conjugal bliss with the corpse before they can allow the corpse being buried.

is this you being a stupid tribalistic bigot or what ??

so its those obviously fake, poorly concocted stories that you use as a yardstick

only fools believe everything they read on the internet wink wink smiley

meanwhile check out what i found for you https://www.refworld.org/docid/3ae6ad702c.html

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Penalty Given To A Man Who Didn't Pay Lady's Dowry Before She Died? by Amotolongbo(f): 12:49am On Jun 11, 2020

17 Likes

Re: What Is The Penalty Given To A Man Who Didn't Pay Lady's Dowry Before She Died? by Millennialaku(m): 1:01am On Jun 11, 2020
Amotolongbo:
Kill yourself
bashing other people's tribe on nairaland will get you nothing more than cheap likes from your fellow tribalistic bigots cheesy cheesy

visit the link i posted in my comment and kill yourself as well wink

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Penalty Given To A Man Who Didn't Pay Lady's Dowry Before She Died? by kel94(m): 1:10am On Jun 11, 2020
Amotolongbo:

I don't understand your hatred for the Igbos but what you wrote up there is an outright lie.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Penalty Given To A Man Who Didn't Pay Lady's Dowry Before She Died? by trueking: 1:13am On Jun 11, 2020
You need to ask God for forgiveness for fornicating, then you must forsake the sin.

Next time marry the woman before you people start having offsprings.

That's the spiritual side.

On a lighter note, if she get spirit husband and you don kill him wife, you better prepare for war o.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Penalty Given To A Man Who Didn't Pay Lady's Dowry Before She Died? by Poseidon000: 1:16am On Jun 11, 2020
paulolee:
in ma tribe where am from in peru, if you dnt pay a dowry for a girl before she died, he would pay the dowry in cash to the man and they bury the man with the dead bride for marriage in afterlife..
Bullshît! If you want to lie, atleast, make it believable, instead of your mendacious hogwash.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Penalty Given To A Man Who Didn't Pay Lady's Dowry Before She Died? by 2buffagain(m): 1:23am On Jun 11, 2020
I would advise you not to allow ignorant village people make you do something you do not understand.

If Jesus says "let the dead bury the dead", who do you think he would say should marry the dead?

Why are you contemplating the idea of becoming one with the dead?

Even marriage is a matter of till death do us part. No body marries anybody into afterlife.

Tell whoever brings that occultic mess to you to shut up and get out. There is not a damn thing they can do.

Greave your dearly departed and move on with your life in the land of the living in FREEDOM. Abi is their demonic culture putting food on your table?

I can already tell that practice is some eastern-igbotic sounding mess. Na Dem be Dem.

7 Likes

Re: What Is The Penalty Given To A Man Who Didn't Pay Lady's Dowry Before She Died? by nwakibe: 2:26am On Jun 11, 2020
In my tribe, no big deal. You have two options. it's either you pay your Dead girlfriend's bride price and bury her in your own community or you allow your in-laws to bury her in their own community which you will not like, especially as you love her and she has a child with you.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Penalty Given To A Man Who Didn't Pay Lady's Dowry Before She Died? by Angelacruz: 2:44am On Jun 11, 2020
Sorry for ur lost
Omuneizzy6:
I lost the both

1 Like

Re: What Is The Penalty Given To A Man Who Didn't Pay Lady's Dowry Before She Died? by Nobody: 3:01am On Jun 11, 2020
The girl's family already told you not to worry so why worry?
My condolences for your loss by the way.

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Penalty Given To A Man Who Didn't Pay Lady's Dowry Before She Died? by 2buffagain(m): 3:30am On Jun 11, 2020
nwakibe:
In my tribe, no big deal. You have two options. it's either you pay your Dead girlfriend's bride price and bury her in your own community or you allow your in-laws to bury her in their own community which you will not like, especially as you love her and she has a child with you.

Why does it matter where she is buried?
She is a memory at this point and not tied to any location.

Her soul is no longer concerned with the affairs of this realm.
The corpse belongs to the plants at that point.
Why pay so much money to specify which plants the corpse will nourish?

Leave that to the earth to sort out.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Penalty Given To A Man Who Didn't Pay Lady's Dowry Before She Died? by paulolee(m): 8:53am On Jun 11, 2020
Poseidon000:

Bullshît! If you want to lie, atleast, make it believable, instead of your mendacious hogwash.
sacarsm isnt meant 4 everyone..jus read n pass n stop mentioning me with foul words plss

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Missing Person In Port Harcourt: Who Has Seen This Woman? (Pictures) / 2 Out Of 3 Kids Are Not Mine - Man Married For 12 Years / I Need Ideas On How To Reconcile With My Wife.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.