Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,958 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:56 PM

Lagos Set To Commission Modern Ferry Terminal, New Ilaje-Bariga Road - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Set To Commission Modern Ferry Terminal, New Ilaje-Bariga Road (25014 Views)

Oyo, Ogun, Lagos Set To Light-up Lagos-ibadan Expressway – Makinde / Okada Ban: Lagos Set To Crush Another 2,228 Motorcycles / Bariga Ferry Terminal And Access Road Will Be Commissioned Tomorrow (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Set To Commission Modern Ferry Terminal, New Ilaje-Bariga Road by AutoReportNG: 11:11pm On Oct 28, 2018
In furtherance of the intermodal transportation system of Lagos State Government, all is now set for the commissioning of an ultra-modern ferry terminal and new access road in Ilaje-Bariga area of the State.

The State Government, in a statement on Sunday by Commissioner for Works and Infrastructure, Mr Ade Akinsanya, said the ferry terminal and the newly upgraded road were part of the initiatives of Governor Akinwunmi Ambode’s administration to further scale up the integrated transportation initiative of the State Government aimed at ensuring seamless connectivity within the State.

According to him, the access road and the terminal would be commissioned by the State Government by mid-November 2018.
Giving details, Akinsanya said: “The terminal situated at the tail end of the upgraded Ilaje Road which provides access to the terminal from Akoka Road, abuts the lagoon front facing the Third Mainland Bridge.

“The state-of-the-art terminal sitting on a reclaimed land area of over 2000 square meter, has a parking facility that will accommodate no fewer than 150 cars and ample space for park and ride buses for those that will want to park their cars to get to their various destinations through the terminal by ferry.”

He added that ferry services would be provided from the terminal to connect other existing terminals such as Ipakodo and Badore in Ikorodu axis, Badore in Ajah axis, recently commissioned Five Cowrie Creek Terminal in Falomo, Marina Terminal, among others.

The Commissioner said the Ilaje terminal, in addition to a well-lit surrounding, had been designed with other complementary facilities such as ticketing office, passengers seating area, restaurant, mini mart, shops, toilets, seat-out area for relaxation, boatyard as well as security watchtowers.

On the road, he said the newly upgraded 1.1km Ilaje Road with carriageway and width of 8meters, is equipped with a bicycle lane, street lights as well as covered side drains which serve as a walkway.

“Transportation in Lagos is predominantly road-based and it is pertinent to state that the administration of Governor Ambode has made concerted efforts to reduce the pressure on the roads with the aim of promoting an integrated transportation system.

“In this quest, the administration is progressively taking advantage of the vast waterways that Lagos is endowed with by embarking on waterfront infrastructure projects including dredging of predetermined viable waterways routes to provide alternative and reduce the travel time of road users,” Akinsanya said.

He said aside from the new road and ferry terminal in Ilaje, a new transportation and tourism hub was being proposed at Oworonshoki by the foot of Third Mainland Bridge, which is a stone throw from the Ilaje Terminal.

“The reclamation of the area is presently at an advanced stage and it is designed to accommodate another ferry terminal, shopping areas, bus terminals, and relaxation facilities.

“With the commissioning of the Ilaje terminal, the residents of Bariga, Akoka and environs will, among other benefits, enjoy shortened travel time to their destinations under a more relaxed and stress-free condition. It would also result into savings in transport cost and reduction in vehicle maintenance cost aggravated by the present condition of our roads that State Government is assiduously working upon,” Akinsanya said.

Source:
https://www.autoreportng.com/2018/10/lagos-set-to-commission-modern-ferry.html

1 Share

Re: Lagos Set To Commission Modern Ferry Terminal, New Ilaje-Bariga Road by AutoReportNG: 11:11pm On Oct 28, 2018
Re: Lagos Set To Commission Modern Ferry Terminal, New Ilaje-Bariga Road by cogbuagu: 11:18pm On Oct 28, 2018
Good
Re: Lagos Set To Commission Modern Ferry Terminal, New Ilaje-Bariga Road by Nobody: 11:23pm On Oct 28, 2018
yes, Lagos is developing there is no doubt about it but I believe with the kind of money generating from the state, I would have love Lagos to be competiting with the likes of Cape Town and Johannesburg of South Africa and Cairo of Egypt in terms of development.
all I want is to see a better Nigeria where the children can say confidently I have a future in Nigeria

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Set To Commission Modern Ferry Terminal, New Ilaje-Bariga Road by Nobody: 11:39pm On Oct 28, 2018
Oma307:
yes, Lagos is developing there is no doubt about it but I believe with the kind of money generating from the state, I would have love Lagos to be competiting with the likes of Cape Town and Johannesburg of South Africa and Cairo of Egypt in terms of development.
all I want is to see a better Nigeria where the children can say confidently I have a future in Nigeria

Spot on bro. To be honest, most of the projects being commissioned in Lagos and in Nigeria as a whole are still miniature compared to what is obtainable in most cities around the world.

What Lagos is generating is too much compared to the infrastructure available. It's even worse in the Niger Delta cos they get way more allocation and have less population to cater for. The idea of a mega city is a scam in this part of the world. Motor park touts are still on the roads, potholes everywhere on the mainland, no traffic lights, no public transport system, no trams, no pipe borne water even in most parts of Lagos...

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Set To Commission Modern Ferry Terminal, New Ilaje-Bariga Road by Horus(m): 11:47pm On Oct 28, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNqHNMqQ2dQ

Lagos Ultra-modern Ferry Terminal With Multi-level Car-Park

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Set To Commission Modern Ferry Terminal, New Ilaje-Bariga Road by ImperialYoruba: 11:57pm On Oct 28, 2018
germanized:

Spot on bro. To be honest, most of the projects being commissioned in Lagos and in Nigeria as a whole are still miniature compared to what is obtainable in most cities around the world.

What Lagos is generating is too much compared to the infrastructure available. It's even worse in the Niger Delta cos they get way more allocation and have less population to cater for. The idea of a mega city is a scam in this part of the world. Motor park touts are still on the roads, potholes everywhere on the mainland, no traffic lights, no public transport system, no trams, no pipe borne water even in most parts of Lagos...

People throw their waste out on the streets because they lack sense of ownership and do not think trashing the city affects them. Same people with same mindset will ruin developments on the scale of global standards that you are talking about. Change in mindset must preceed the utopian cities of our dreams.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Set To Commission Modern Ferry Terminal, New Ilaje-Bariga Road by SarkinYarki: 12:04am On Oct 29, 2018
And the one commissioned in Badore Ajah has been left to rot to the ground without being used for even a day
Re: Lagos Set To Commission Modern Ferry Terminal, New Ilaje-Bariga Road by sirusX(m): 12:27am On Oct 29, 2018
SarkinYarki:
And the one commissioned in Badore Ajah has been left to rot to the ground without being used for even a day

Seriously!!

I haven't been there, so I didn't know it's that bad

1 Like

Re: Lagos Set To Commission Modern Ferry Terminal, New Ilaje-Bariga Road by Rossikki: 2:37am On Oct 29, 2018
ImperialYoruba:

People throw their waste out on the streets because they lack sense of ownership and do not think trashing the city affects them.

Wrong. People throw their waste out on the streets because there is no efficient public trash collection system. In a sane society, every house will have a huge bin in front that is emptied every three or four days by a local govt trash disposal truck.

Same people with same mindset will ruin developments on the scale of global standards that you are talking about. Change in mindset must precede the utopian cities of our dreams.

All the govt has to do is tar all the streets and include sidewalks and underground drainage. Then put a street sweeping system in place. Every where will be spotlessly clean....... See below....... It has NOTHING to do with ''the people''. Once you build the city well, you will have no problems.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Set To Commission Modern Ferry Terminal, New Ilaje-Bariga Road by Mizwisdom(f): 5:13am On Oct 29, 2018
Rossikki:

Wrong. People throw their waste out on the streets because there is no efficient public trash collection system. In a sane society, every house will have a huge bin in front that is emptied every three or four days by a local govt trash disposal truck.

All the govt has to do is tar all the streets and include sidewalks and underground drainage. Then put a street sweeping system in place. Every where will be spotlessly clean....... See below....... It has NOTHING to do with ''the people''. Once you build the city well, you will have no problems.

Why don't you send your solution to the state government rather than undermining this news? Of what use is this your castigation, I doubt Ambode will read this opinion of yours. Write directly to him through his correspondence unit and your solution will be more effective. For the records, sanitation has a lot to do with people's attitude, you are wrong in saying it doesn't.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Set To Commission Modern Ferry Terminal, New Ilaje-Bariga Road by Nobody: 5:37am On Oct 29, 2018
ImperialYoruba:

People throw their waste out on the streets because they lack sense of ownership and do not think trashing the city affects them. Same people with same mindset will ruin developments on the scale of global standards that you are talking about. Change in mindset must preceed the utopian cities of our dreams.

The government must give people that sense of ownership you're talking about. You seem like the type to blame the citizenry for the failures of the government. While I'm not surprised, I think you should know that the current standards in our society are the effect of government negligence of people's well being over the years. So much depends on the government my brother, so much.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Set To Commission Modern Ferry Terminal, New Ilaje-Bariga Road by Nobody: 5:45am On Oct 29, 2018
Rossikki:

Thank you my brother. These folks talking about the citizens being irresponsible haven't really been exposed to the fact that everything begins and ends with a responsible government.

Nigerians are not irresponsible, but since independence, politicians have betrayed the trust of the people and so little has been done to actually give people a better life.

I was talking about effective transportation and the menace of Agbero (NURTW touts), the other guy quoted me and was talking about trash on the road, two parallel things.

In the first place, why are there no waste bins on our streets? People will definitely litter... But some moralists who haven't been outside the shores of Nigeria will come and start preaching on how to make the society better, which is quite commendable. But if the head is cut off, the body can do nothing.

So much depends on good leadership.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Set To Commission Modern Ferry Terminal, New Ilaje-Bariga Road by Nobody: 5:52am On Oct 29, 2018
Mizwisdom:

Why don't you send your solution to the state government rather than undermining this news? Of what use is this your castigation, I doubt Ambode will read this opinion of yours. Write directly to him through his correspondence unit and your solution will be more effective. For the records, sanitation has a lot to do with people's attitude, you are wrong in saying it doesn't.

He doesn't need to send any solution to Ambode or any other governor because there are people whose jobs are to plan and maintain the city, but they'll keep ignoring messages and suggestions unless it'll bring money into their pockets.

Go to any governor's facebook page and see how Nigerians voice out their problems like TV reporters, still some places won't witness government intervention for donkey years.

It's actually a sufferhead mentality when people are satisfied with poor leadership. Most of these politicians have travelled abroad and have seen how a proper city is supposed to be, but will they come back and implement those things? No! Cos the public office is a business center for them. They don't give a damn that Nigeria looks like a 3rd world country that has been left behind by virtually every other developing nation...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Set To Commission Modern Ferry Terminal, New Ilaje-Bariga Road by Mizwisdom(f): 8:30am On Oct 29, 2018
germanized:

He doesn't need to send any solution to Ambode or any other governor because there are people whose jobs are to plan and maintain the city, but they'll keep ignoring messages and suggestions unless it'll bring money into their pockets.

Go to any governor's facebook page and see how Nigerians voice out their problems like TV reporters, still some places won't witness government intervention for donkey years.

It's actually a sufferhead mentality when people are satisfied with poor leadership. Most of these politicians have travelled abroad and have seen how a proper city is supposed to be, but will they come back and implement those things? No! Cos the public office is a business center for them. They don't give a damn that Nigeria looks like a 3rd world country that has been left behind by virtually every other developing nation...

No one is satisfied with poor leadership but when it's time to give credit for a good development is it wrong to commend them?. This development is laudable so let's give him some credit for it. He's not being allowed to do more cause he's not contesting for second term. He's done quite well in 4 yrs, of course more can still be done. Everybody has become a consultant now, even someone that says people have nothing to do with cleaning their environment, only government can't do it all
Re: Lagos Set To Commission Modern Ferry Terminal, New Ilaje-Bariga Road by Nobody: 9:21am On Oct 29, 2018
Mizwisdom:

No one is satisfied with poor leadership but when it's time to give credit for a good development is it wrong to commend them?. This development is laudable so let's give him some credit for it. He's not being allowed to do more cause he's not contesting for second term. He's done quite well in 4 yrs, of course more can still be done. Everybody has become a consultant now, even someone that says people have nothing to do with cleaning their environment, only government can't do it all

I'm not even condemning Ambo, he has done the little he can and I commend him, though I think 4 years is more than enough to transform a city.

But the part where the story is being twisted to make the citizens appear irresponsible is what I do.not like. In our society, we need to sensitize people more and also develop the environment simultaneously. Massive illiteracy is in the north, touts are being encouraged in the south, little priority is given to education and healthcare, even the president flies out for medical check-up, who are we deceiving?

Those who are responsible for making the laws are the biggest law breakers... Think about it.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Set To Commission Modern Ferry Terminal, New Ilaje-Bariga Road by Tenim47(m): 5:18pm On Oct 29, 2018
after lagos its still lagos shocked
Re: Lagos Set To Commission Modern Ferry Terminal, New Ilaje-Bariga Road by seguntijan(m): 5:21pm On Oct 29, 2018
Not PDP; Not-NOT Atiku
It is not for nothing that I say Nigerians are as stubborn as the beans market goat (oluya bi eran iso eree).
We don't listen at all! Otherwise, why would we even be contemplating taking the country from a party (APC) that has been saddled with spending the past almost-four years in cleaning the Augean stables left by another party (PDP, that blew away 16 years), and return it to the same profligate, irresponsible PDP?
Unless we are truly suffering from collective amnesia!
Was it not yesterday that Boko Haram controlled about 13 local government areas in the northeast...flags, collecting taxes, installing chiefs, broadcasting news and all?
Was it not yesterday that the PDP government couldn't use the Eagle Square in Abuja out of fear that Boko Haram would strike there again?
Was it not yesterday that even those in Lagos lived under the palpable fear that Boko Haram was on its way to driving them into the lagoon?
Was it not yesterday that our soldiers were running out of bullets, water and food on the battlefield and dying by the dozens?
Was it not yesterday that the country was importing everything, including toothpicks...with virtually every FOREX-dependent industry folding up because PDP People were eating our FOREX?
Was it not yesterday that PDP folks were doing "round-tripping" with our oil and subsidy...collecting our crude oil, shipping it overseas for refining, diverting the refined product elsewhere, selling it and pocketing the money, then returning an empty ship to Nigeria and STILL claiming full reimbursement for the refined product that was never brought to Nigeria? (One ship was even in Argentina at the same time it was claimed to be delivering refined oil products in Nigeria!)
Wasn't it yesterday that a PDP President allowed funds (billion dollars) meant for the military to be generously spent by one Dasuki on prosecuting elections of its members?
Wasn't it yesterday that we had the likes of kleptomaniac Diezani Alison-Madueke, garrulous Femi Fani-Kayode, greedy and incompetent Stella Oduah, obese Alex Sabudu Badeh, thieving Azubuike Ihejirika and sly Sambo Dasuki butchering Nigeria to near-death?
Wasn't it yesterday that the PDP was borrowing money to pay Federal salaries even though crude oil was once sold at $140 under their 16-year lootocracy?
And wasn't it yesterday that we had VP Atiku undermining President Obasanjo and the government under which he was serving, surreptitiously recruiting PDP governors and lawmakers to antagonize and block the President and threaten him with impeachment simply because he couldn't control his vaulting ambition to rule?
Are these are where we want to return?
I can go on and on about the 16 years of PDP banditocracy and grand ineptitude. But I think you get the gist.
True, Buhari has been a disappointment in some areas. That's why some of us who campaigned hard for him in the past now criticize him. We want to make him better.
And I am all for replacing him now mainly because I think he doesn't have the energy anymore.
But I won't trade him and APC (despite their shortcomings) with Atiku and PDP. If we are crying, we don't allow ourselves to be blinded by tears.
Lailai!
Tufia!
Let Baba Obasanjo (whom I respect a lot) go and take some chill pills.
There must be consequences for ineffectual buffoonery. And it must include not returning PDP to power for a loooong time.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Set To Commission Modern Ferry Terminal, New Ilaje-Bariga Road by OsuMustGo: 5:23pm On Oct 29, 2018
And J0nadaft couldnt do one in Bayelsa

Very stupid man
Re: Lagos Set To Commission Modern Ferry Terminal, New Ilaje-Bariga Road by Lanre4uonly(m): 5:25pm On Oct 29, 2018
This is good.
Lagos on the move.
Re: Lagos Set To Commission Modern Ferry Terminal, New Ilaje-Bariga Road by baxton25(m): 5:28pm On Oct 29, 2018
ImperialYoruba:

Baba keep quite... the way citizens behave is been effected by their leaders... if the government doesn't tolerate illegal trashing of waste... the people will also do the same.... the fear of them breaking that law will make them not do it, because the government doesn't do same...... if in nigeria government, and leaders, and top people in the society don't bypass the traffic by taking one way, or which ever way they do... the masses won't do same for the fear of the law, thereby building that kind of lifestyle.
Lagos deserves more than 1000% of the services the government is rendering to her. Goan check how much lagos generates in one day... and everywhere is wack, and stinking... you're here talking rubbish

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Set To Commission Modern Ferry Terminal, New Ilaje-Bariga Road by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:30pm On Oct 29, 2018
Good job...
Re: Lagos Set To Commission Modern Ferry Terminal, New Ilaje-Bariga Road by Racoon(m): 5:30pm On Oct 29, 2018
Nice one. smiley
Re: Lagos Set To Commission Modern Ferry Terminal, New Ilaje-Bariga Road by lexy2014: 5:35pm On Oct 29, 2018
Oma307:
Development isn't just about physical infrastructure. Its about d people.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Set To Commission Modern Ferry Terminal, New Ilaje-Bariga Road by lexy2014: 5:36pm On Oct 29, 2018
OsuMustGo:
And J0nadaft couldnt do one in Bayelsa

Very stupid man
Are u from bayelsa state? Y has dickson not done one in bayelsa?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Set To Commission Modern Ferry Terminal, New Ilaje-Bariga Road by lexy2014: 5:42pm On Oct 29, 2018
germanized:

Development isn't just about physical infrastructure. Its also about d people.
Re: Lagos Set To Commission Modern Ferry Terminal, New Ilaje-Bariga Road by boringnigerian: 5:43pm On Oct 29, 2018
To the prpersob5bringing up the touts issue:

Well, it's not as simple as ordering the touts off the road. Don't think those touts answer to nobody. On the contrary, there is a hierarchy and the touts are the base feeders, the foot soldiers, the ones at the bottom of the pyramid. At the top are important people in Lagos society who are also party men. Party men who, through their touts and wealth, have a lot of local influence. Remove those touts and you are risking your chance and the party's chances at the next elections. You think Fashola didn't want to get rid of the touts? Or Ambode? They did and do but the patrons of these touts are powerful people in Lagos politically. Eradicating them would take a fool-proof plan, and if you have one, we'd all like to hear it.
Re: Lagos Set To Commission Modern Ferry Terminal, New Ilaje-Bariga Road by abumeinben(m): 5:43pm On Oct 29, 2018
Lagos roads are degrading.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Set To Commission Modern Ferry Terminal, New Ilaje-Bariga Road by Onlinealaba(m): 5:46pm On Oct 29, 2018
nyc 1
Re: Lagos Set To Commission Modern Ferry Terminal, New Ilaje-Bariga Road by lexy2014: 5:51pm On Oct 29, 2018
Rossikki:

I was with someone some time ago and he was having a bottle of teem. After he was done with it, he threw d bottle just outside d building into d street. Funny enough, there was a waste bin in d same place where we were seated. When he threw d bottle out into d street, I asked him y he did it, that didn't he c d waste bin? He said it because of buhari.

D moral here is that yes d govt ought 2 put in place proper waste disposal systems which it has failed woefully to provide. But on d other hand, we have just like this case, were people don't take responsibility 4 these little little things. Development doesn't end with providing beautiful streets & infrastructure. If we try an experiment, take Nigerians to d country in ur picture and bring those people in that country to Nigeria. Can u imagine d difference in 5years?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Set To Commission Modern Ferry Terminal, New Ilaje-Bariga Road by Sagay212: 5:57pm On Oct 29, 2018
Rossikki:

very true. We have very useless set of people as leaders and they have confused masses supporting them. Go to ordinart accra, to comot prick to pee anywhere go dey fear you because you won't see anybody doing it , so feae go catch you. Let the govt put things in place and people will have no choice than blend in.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Set To Commission Modern Ferry Terminal, New Ilaje-Bariga Road by unamdi(m): 5:59pm On Oct 29, 2018
Goodbye Iyana oworo.. I enjoyed your traffic and headache while it lasted. Till we meet again... But e remain make dem fix that Berger road

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sacking NNPC Board Is Just The Beginning: Femi Adesina / "I Hold No Grudges Against Anyone" -- James Ibori Says After His Release. Photos / How Can You Sleep While Owing Workers? | Buhari Blasts Governors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.