Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,899 members, 7,814,038 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:55 AM

Trump To Sign Order In Attempt To End Birthright Citizenship - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Trump To Sign Order In Attempt To End Birthright Citizenship (1211 Views)

Us-based Ghanaian Lady Arrested In Attempt To Open Plane Door Mid-flight / More Than 30 Other Countries Recognize Birthright Citizenship — Here's The Full / See All The Countries That Offer Jus Soli Or Birthright Citizenship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Trump To Sign Order In Attempt To End Birthright Citizenship by LI(m): 11:59am On Oct 30, 2018
U.S. President Donald Trump said he plans to sign an executive order ending birthright citizenship for babies of non-immigrants and unauthorized immigrants born on U.S. soil, according to excerpts of an interview released Tuesday.

“We’re the only country in the world where a person comes in and has a baby, and the baby is essentially a citizen of the United States,” Trump told “Axios on HBO” Monday. “It’s ridiculous. And it has to end.”

The comments mark another escalation in Trump’s hard-line stance on immigration ahead of the Nov. 6 midterm elections that will determine control of Congress. His administration announced yesterday that it would send about 5,200 troops to the southern border with Mexico by the end of the week to head off a caravan of migrants.

Axios said its full interview with Trump would air Sunday.

Source:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-30/trump-to-sign-order-ending-birthright-citizenship-axios
Re: Trump To Sign Order In Attempt To End Birthright Citizenship by Godson201333(m): 12:05pm On Oct 30, 2018
yes oo, Change is the only thing that is constant ..
Re: Trump To Sign Order In Attempt To End Birthright Citizenship by Nobody: 12:09pm On Oct 30, 2018
What a pity....
Re: Trump To Sign Order In Attempt To End Birthright Citizenship by Nobody: 12:30pm On Oct 30, 2018
This is bad

Western countries are becoming too conservative.

UK have left EU

US is ending citizenship by birth

Everybody should go back, developed their country and sit there.

American citizenship will become very much difficult now.

1 Like

Re: Trump To Sign Order In Attempt To End Birthright Citizenship by Abbeybailey(m): 12:44pm On Oct 30, 2018
Funnicator:
This is bad

Western countries are becoming too conservative.

UK have left EU

US is ending citizenship by birth

Everybody should go back, developed their country and sit there.

American citizenship will become very much difficult now.
Trump can't do that because it's the 14th Amendment that grants the citizenship.
Re: Trump To Sign Order In Attempt To End Birthright Citizenship by Nobody: 12:46pm On Oct 30, 2018
Abbeybailey:
Trump can't do that because it's the 14th Amendment that grants the citizenship.

So he has no power to revert the bill?

Please tell me he has no power.
Re: Trump To Sign Order In Attempt To End Birthright Citizenship by Abbeybailey(m): 1:42pm On Oct 30, 2018
Funnicator:

It's The 14th Amendment that he has no power to alter. He's just mouthing off to his nativist base.

1 Like

Re: Trump To Sign Order In Attempt To End Birthright Citizenship by britiko: 2:20pm On Oct 30, 2018
Election is around d corner... he's trying to score points.
Btw Usa is not the only country that gives citizenship by birth. Canada does.

1 Like

Re: Trump To Sign Order In Attempt To End Birthright Citizenship by Goldenboy007(m): 2:33pm On Oct 30, 2018
Abbeybailey:

He does not need Congressional approval to change this particular law, he only needs Executive order.
Re: Trump To Sign Order In Attempt To End Birthright Citizenship by Beautyaddy: 2:38pm On Oct 30, 2018
Goldenboy007:

He does not need Congressional approval to change this particular law, he only needs Executive order.

Not true.

Where did you get that false information from?

1 Like

Re: Trump To Sign Order In Attempt To End Birthright Citizenship by ThatHistoryGuy(m): 2:43pm On Oct 30, 2018
Make this guy calm down jare
Re: Trump To Sign Order In Attempt To End Birthright Citizenship by Goldenboy007(m): 2:52pm On Oct 30, 2018
Beautyaddy:

Not true.

Where did you get that false information from?

The false information is from here sir

https://amp.businessinsider.com/trump-plans-to-end-birthright-citizenship-with-an-executive-order-2018-10

1 Like

Re: Trump To Sign Order In Attempt To End Birthright Citizenship by dotcomnamename: 3:00pm On Oct 30, 2018
Goldenboy007:

https://amp.businessinsider.com/trump-plans-to-end-birthright-citizenship-with-an-executive-order-2018-10

I doubt he can overpower that citizenship by birth law.
Re: Trump To Sign Order In Attempt To End Birthright Citizenship by Abbeybailey(m): 3:17pm On Oct 30, 2018
Goldenboy007:

It shows how much you and your type know about America . The 14th Amendment is ensnshrined in the constitution.
Re: Trump To Sign Order In Attempt To End Birthright Citizenship by Beautyaddy: 3:19pm On Oct 30, 2018
Goldenboy007:

"You can definitely do it with an act of Congress," Trump added. "But now they're saying I can do it just with an executive order."

Hmmm...this going to be interesting to see.
Re: Trump To Sign Order In Attempt To End Birthright Citizenship by Goldenboy007(m): 3:22pm On Oct 30, 2018
dotcomnamename:

I doubt he can overpower that citizenship by birth law.

One thing you should know about Trump is .. he does what he says. Also with the coming midterm election .. every politicians is careful how they address immigration topics because the truth is ... Majority Americans are against immigration because they think immigrants are stealing their jobs, it's becoming a global trend. With 7000 people caravan heading towards US ..why do you think the very vocal Democrats are silent on Trump's US army moves ?
Re: Trump To Sign Order In Attempt To End Birthright Citizenship by Abbeybailey(m): 3:29pm On Oct 30, 2018
Goldenboy007:

One thing you should know about Trump is .. he does what he says. Also with the coming midterm election .. every politicians is careful how they address immigration topics because the truth is ... Majority Americans are against immigration because they think immigrants are stealing their jobs, it's becoming a global trend. With 7000 people caravan heading towards US ..why do you think the very vocal Democrats are silent on Trump's US army moves ?
Now You are speaking for majority of Americans from Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Trump To Sign Order In Attempt To End Birthright Citizenship by Goldenboy007(m): 3:33pm On Oct 30, 2018
Abbeybailey:
It shows how much you and your type know about America . The 14th Amendment is ensnshrined in the constitution.

Why are you taking this personal ? Lol. I am only quoting a source. I am not Trump na. Let me add.. to your lordship ..

the president can make informal amendment on the Constitution if a clause in the Constitution grants him such specific powers or by Congress delegating such to executive branch.
Re: Trump To Sign Order In Attempt To End Birthright Citizenship by Abbeybailey(m): 3:37pm On Oct 30, 2018
Goldenboy007:

Why are you taking this personal ? Lol. I am only quoting a source. I am not Trump na. Let me add.. to your lordship ..

the president can make informal amendment on the Constitution if a clause in the Constitution grants him such specific powers or by Congress delegating such to executive branch.
You are 1.000 % wrong. US is a country governed by Rule of Law not monarchy. Stop spreading junk here. No one not even the President can change the constitution without going through the Senate and the House of Representatives and 2/3rd ratification from the 50 States. Why are you being stubborn about a country you know nothing about.

3 Likes

Re: Trump To Sign Order In Attempt To End Birthright Citizenship by Goldenboy007(m): 3:50pm On Oct 30, 2018
Abbeybailey:
You are 1.000 % wrong. US is a country governed by Rule of Law not monarchy. Stop spreading junk here. No one not even the President can change the constitution without going through the Senate and the House of Representatives and 2/3rd ratification from the 50 States. Why are you being stubborn about a country you know nothing about.

How old are you? Now this my problem of online interaction - miscreants can just come throwing tantrums around.
Re: Trump To Sign Order In Attempt To End Birthright Citizenship by Abbeybailey(m): 4:15pm On Oct 30, 2018
Goldenboy007:

How old are you? Now this my problem of online interaction - miscreants can just come throwing tantrums around.
That's reach coming from a clown who doesn't know shiiit about America and spouting garbage. You are arguing about what every 3rd grader in America knows. If anyone is a miscreant, it's you that is spouting junk . By the way, tell me where you reside in Chicago ?. I am in Oak Park now but I grew up on the North side of Chicago ( Uptown ) precisely Sheridan/ Lawrence.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Trump To Sign Order In Attempt To End Birthright Citizenship by ttmacoy: 6:47pm On Oct 31, 2018
He doesn't have power to reverse it as it lies with congress. What he wants to do is by signing an executive order he will get sued and the case go all the way to the Supreme Court which now has a conservative majority.

He simply wants to force the issue so the supreme Court can inyerpeet the 14th ammendment and confirm if it covers illegal immigtants.

Personally putting feelings aside I read the ammendment and it's history and I don't think it covers illegals or people who are not citizens or legal permanent residents.

Funnicator:

1 Like

Re: Trump To Sign Order In Attempt To End Birthright Citizenship by ttmacoy: 6:52pm On Oct 31, 2018
Re: Trump To Sign Order In Attempt To End Birthright Citizenship by ttmacoy: 6:56pm On Oct 31, 2018
You are right he cannot change the constitution without Congress, but the Supreme Court can make a law based on interpretation.

Same as DACA which was signed by Obama, the new executive order will be taken to court and Trump is hoping it is forced through to the Supreme Court which is now conservative leaning thanks to Kavanagh. If the Supreme Court rules that the 14th amendment does not cover illegal immigrants then tat becomes law and does not need congress.

Also to correct you, an amendment needs either congress or 2/3 of the 50 states not both.

The bolded will be the bone of contention for the Supreme Court. Is an illegal immigrant subject to the jurisdiction of the US government?

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Many other countries have changed the laws due to birth tourism abuse and we all know it is being abused:
To discourage birth tourism, Australia, France, Germany, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, and the United Kingdom have modified their citizenship laws at different times, granting citizenship by birth only if at least one parent is a citizen of the country or a legal permanent resident who has lived in the country for several years.

Abbeybailey:
That's reach coming from a clown who doesn't know shiiit about America and spouting garbage. You are arguing about what every 3rd grader in America knows. If anyone is a miscreant, it's you that is spouting junk . By the way, tell me where you reside in Chicago ?. I am in Oak Park now but I grew up on the North side of Chicago ( Uptown ) precisely Sheridan/ Lawrence.
Re: Trump To Sign Order In Attempt To End Birthright Citizenship by lillaowow(m): 7:14pm On Oct 31, 2018
ttmacoy:

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

It is right there in the CONSTITUTION

Getting the amendment interpretation reviewed using executive powers sets bad precedence for other amendments. The 2nd particularly comes into focus
Re: Trump To Sign Order In Attempt To End Birthright Citizenship by ttmacoy: 7:28pm On Oct 31, 2018
Why did you ignore the bolded? All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof

The supreme court has in the past ruled on the 14th amendment but it confirmed that green card holders babies are covered and granted citizenship but never clarified for others. If the case went o court for a green card holder shouldn't we also get clarification for others especially illegals?

If you do your research the 14th amendment was passed after 13th amendment which freed slaves to ensure children of slaves were not denied citizenship. It was not passed for birth tourism or for people to just fly in and have their babies.

Yes as a Nigerian who wants my family to all go to the US I will be partial to the law staying but if I was to be unbiased and honest the law is being abused. This is the same reason most of Europe including Australia etc all changed the law so at least one parent must be a citizen or legal permanent resident for the child to be a citizen. And this is not an issue that just started with Trump, it has always been an issue but as usual congress never get to act and they all play politics.

Even Canada's conservative party has proposed ending the jus soli in Canada as well due to abuse.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4411137/birth-tourism-canada/

The Conservative Party is calling for an end of birthright citizenship, meaning if you are born in Canada that does not automatically make you a Canadian citizen.

Currently, Canada’s law says anyone who is born on Canadian soil receives citizenship (even if your parents aren’t Canadian citizens). But this law has been highly debated, with some politicians and citizens dubbing it “birth tourism.”

lillaowow:

It is right there in the CONSTITUTION

Getting the amendment interpretation reviewed using executive powers sets bad precedence for other amendments. The 2nd particularly comes into focus

1 Like

Re: Trump To Sign Order In Attempt To End Birthright Citizenship by Nobody: 7:19am On Nov 01, 2018
I need to travel out of Nigerian .....pls who can help me out plsssß embarassed
Re: Trump To Sign Order In Attempt To End Birthright Citizenship by Horus(m): 9:50am On Nov 01, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9oTF3ip_h8

Trump To End Birthright Citizenship

You ARE NOT a citizen of the corporation of the United states.
Trump says the 14th Ammendment means nothing to him and
if he says he has the final word on if you're a citizen or not.
Re: Trump To Sign Order In Attempt To End Birthright Citizenship by Abbeybailey(m): 2:16am On Nov 07, 2018
ttmacoy:
You are right he cannot change the constitution without Congress, but the Supreme Court can make a law based on interpretation.

Same as DACA which was signed by Obama, the new executive order will be taken to court and Trump is hoping it is forced through to the Supreme Court which is now conservative leaning thanks to Kavanagh. If the Supreme Court rules that the 14th amendment does not cover illegal immigrants then tat becomes law and does not need congress.

Also to correct you, an amendment needs either congress or 2/3 of the 50 states not both.

The bolded will be the bone of contention for the Supreme Court. Is an illegal immigrant subject to the jurisdiction of the US government?

Many other countries have changed the laws due to birth tourism abuse and we all know it is being abused:
To discourage birth tourism, Australia, France, Germany, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, and the United Kingdom have modified their citizenship laws at different times, granting citizenship by birth only if at least one parent is a citizen of the country or a legal permanent resident who has lived in the country for several years.

There's No contention there because the constitution is very clear. No one messes with the constitution . It's 14th Amendment now tomorrow it my be 1st or 2nd amendments. No case there because it has been settled by the Supreme Court in the 1800s. Class closed not even for a White Nationalist president.

(1) (Reply)

Please How Much Will It Cost To Travel All My Family to Canada. / Jamaica And Nigeria Create History As Air Peace Lands On Caribbean Island / First Hotel In Space To Open For Business In 2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.