Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,234 members, 7,836,118 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:07 PM

More Than 30 Other Countries Recognize Birthright Citizenship — Here's The Full - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / More Than 30 Other Countries Recognize Birthright Citizenship — Here's The Full (2233 Views)

Countries Who Offer Birthright Citizenship, Soli / See All The Countries That Offer Jus Soli Or Birthright Citizenship / Trump To Sign Order In Attempt To End Birthright Citizenship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

More Than 30 Other Countries Recognize Birthright Citizenship — Here's The Full by MedicalTravelng(m): 1:35pm On Jun 29, 2019
A week before the midterm elections, news broke that President Donald Trump said he wanted to issue an executive order ending birthright citizenship in the US. Birthright citizenship is a policy whereby a child is granted citizenship by the country they are born in.
The United States has recognized birthright citizenship, or "jus soli" as it's known around the world, since the passing of the Fourteenth Amendment in 1868.

Critics of birthright citizenship say it encourages immigrants to come to the country and have so-called "anchor babies." In criticizing the policy, Trump told Axios that "we're the only country in the world where a person comes in and has a baby, and the baby is essentially a citizen of the United States."

That's not true. While birthright citizenship is by far a rare policy throughout the world, more than 30 other countries recognize jus soli, and even more adhere to more restricted forms of birthright citizenship.

Here are the countries that recognize birthright citizenship*:
1. Antigua and Barbuda
2. Argentina
3. Barbados
4. Belize
5. Bolivia
6. Brazil
7. Canada
8. Chile
9. Costa Rica
10. Cuba
11. Dominica
12. Ecuador
13. El Salvador
14. Fiji
15. Grenada
16. Guatemala
17. Guyana
18. Honduras
19. Jamaica
20. Lesotho
21. Mexico
22. Nicaragua
23. Pakistan
24. Panama
25. Paraguay
26. Peru
27. Saint Kits and Nevis
28. Saint Lucia
29. Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
30. Tanzania
31. Trinidad and Tobago
32. Tuvalu
33. United States
34. Uruguay
35. Venezuela

More countries recognize jus soli in some cases

Other countries recognize birthright citizenship in special circumstances. In some cases, countries will confer citizenship to orphans or to children with stateless parents. These countries include:
Guinea-Bissau
Luxembourg
Azerbaijan
Chad

But in the vast majority of countries, citizenship is determined by descent (also known as "jus sanguinis"wink. That can mean something different in each country, but for the most part it means having at least one parent who is a citizen of that country.
Some countries, like Poland, require that both parents be citizens. Countries with patriarchal or matriarchal societies determine citizenship through the father's or mother's citizenship, respectively. For example, in Andorra, the mother needs to be a citizen for the child to become a citizen at birth.

In several Muslim countries, such as Bahrain and Iran, the father needs to be a citizen for the citizenship to transfer, which creates complexities for children born out of wedlock. In recent years, several countries have transitioned from birthright citizenship to jus sanguinis. Those countries include India and Malta.

1 Like

Re: More Than 30 Other Countries Recognize Birthright Citizenship — Here's The Full by weyreypey: 1:54pm On Jun 29, 2019
ONLY CANADA AND THE USA DEY THE LIST

2 Likes

Re: More Than 30 Other Countries Recognize Birthright Citizenship — Here's The Full by Nobody: 1:59pm On Jun 29, 2019
Us would soon stop

3 Likes

Re: More Than 30 Other Countries Recognize Birthright Citizenship — Here's The Full by portplus: 2:44pm On Jun 29, 2019
weyreypey:
ONLY CANADA AND THE USA DEY THE LIST

Brazil nko?

2 Likes

Re: More Than 30 Other Countries Recognize Birthright Citizenship — Here's The Full by Dannyset(m): 2:50pm On Jun 29, 2019
Just 3 Countries! The rest na State and capital. grin

USA, Canada, and Luxembourg

3 Likes

Re: More Than 30 Other Countries Recognize Birthright Citizenship — Here's The Full by LOSKYXANDER: 5:04pm On Jun 29, 2019
Popsi and mumsi sef...Why dem no born me for Canada?

1 Like

Re: More Than 30 Other Countries Recognize Birthright Citizenship — Here's The Full by Nobody: 6:51am On Jun 30, 2019
Very informative. Thanks @ OP
Re: More Than 30 Other Countries Recognize Birthright Citizenship — Here's The Full by Hadampson(m): 7:01am On Jun 30, 2019
Dannyset:
Just 3 Countries! The rest na State and capital. grin

USA, Canada, and Luxembourg

and Brazil wink

1 Like

Re: More Than 30 Other Countries Recognize Birthright Citizenship — Here's The Full by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:27am On Jun 30, 2019
Hadampson:

and Brazil wink
And Argentina too. Its passport allows you to visit 171 countries visa free.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: More Than 30 Other Countries Recognize Birthright Citizenship — Here's The Full by ifyalways(f): 9:28am On Jun 30, 2019
Lesotho passport is good too.

4 Likes

Re: More Than 30 Other Countries Recognize Birthright Citizenship — Here's The Full by Dannyset(m): 9:34am On Jun 30, 2019
Hadampson:

and Brazil wink

Probably cos I don't fancy it sha
Re: More Than 30 Other Countries Recognize Birthright Citizenship — Here's The Full by seunny4lif(m): 12:05pm On Jun 30, 2019
Brazil makes a lot of sense
Re: More Than 30 Other Countries Recognize Birthright Citizenship — Here's The Full by CTPlayer: 3:01pm On Jun 30, 2019
I don't think it has ever been ruled upon in the USA. There is a policy of granting it in the USA, but that policy is likely wrong.
"subject to the jurisdiction thereof". People illegally in the USA, or people legally in the USA on tourist/business visa who have a kid......
they are not "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" of the USA. If I were Trump I would sign an executive order banning granting anchor babies citizenship.
Re: More Than 30 Other Countries Recognize Birthright Citizenship — Here's The Full by Gerrard59(m): 10:22pm On Jun 30, 2019
ifyalways:
Lesotho passport is good too.

Had to search after seeing this and damn! She did considerably well. Three months visa free by the Japanese? shocked
Re: More Than 30 Other Countries Recognize Birthright Citizenship — Here's The Full by ifyalways(f): 10:47pm On Jun 30, 2019
Gerrard59:

Had to search after seeing this and damn! She did considerably well. Three months visa free by the Japanese? shocked
9ja boys back in the days in SA rushed for it like mad.

1 Like

Re: More Than 30 Other Countries Recognize Birthright Citizenship — Here's The Full by Gerrard59(m): 10:54pm On Jun 30, 2019
ifyalways:

9ja boys back in the days in SA rushed for it like mad.

shocked

"...back in the days...". Which implies it has reduced, if so, what could be the reason(s)? And is it still easy/possible to travel to Lesotho for procreation presently?
Re: More Than 30 Other Countries Recognize Birthright Citizenship — Here's The Full by Ugosample(m): 1:45am On Jul 01, 2019
LOSKYXANDER:
Popsi and mumsi sef...Why dem no born me for Canada?

lmao
Re: More Than 30 Other Countries Recognize Birthright Citizenship — Here's The Full by Ugosample(m): 1:46am On Jul 01, 2019
CTPlayer:
I don't think it has ever been ruled upon in the USA. There is a policy of granting it in the USA, but that policy is likely wrong.
"subject to the jurisdiction thereof". People illegally in the USA, or people legally in the USA on tourist/business visa who have a kid......
they are not "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" of the USA. If I were Trump I would sign an executive order banning granting anchor babies citizenship.

And what do you intend to gain in doing the "blocking"
Re: More Than 30 Other Countries Recognize Birthright Citizenship — Here's The Full by CTPlayer: 3:35am On Jul 01, 2019
Ugosample:

And what do you intend to gain in doing the "blocking"

Protect a country.
Re: More Than 30 Other Countries Recognize Birthright Citizenship — Here's The Full by ifyalways(f): 8:33am On Jul 01, 2019
Gerrard59:

shocked

"...back in the days...". Which implies it has reduced, if so, what could be the reason(s)? And is it still easy/possible to travel to Lesotho for procreation presently?
I know Lesotho visa i usually obtained @ POE from SA, back in the days.

I dunno how easy it will be for a pregnant woman to show up at POE with a bulging stomache. Reason people have not besieged that route, i believe.

(1) (Reply)

Benin Republic Immigration Officers Now Collect N500 To Stamp Nigerian Passports / Arik Air Introduces N15, 000 Promo Fare On All Domestic Routes / Is Cyprus A Good Country?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.