Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,281 members, 7,811,832 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:37 PM

Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? (17819 Views)

Does Google Adsense Accept Blog In The Cryptocurrency Niche / How Much Does Google Charge Per Click In Naira / Does Google Adsense Still Approve Blog (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by nditah(m): 9:45am On Oct 31, 2018
Hello Nairalanders,
I am compelled to share my experience with Google and also find out if anyone has had a similar experience.

Friday, Sept 21st, Google invited me to participate in a remote User Research, with a promised of a $125 Perks gift.

On Oct. 5th I was ebullient to take part in assisting #Google in providing valuation information to improve the usability of its cloud technology. The meeting lasted for 60-minutes. I love #GCP.

Surprisingly, on Oct. 10th I got a gift code of $50 (instead of $125 as promised). I was curious so I sent an email to the Team.

The Team replied me, "How Google does it is they convert the perks amount to a 'localized' amount based on the buying power of that amount in particular countries."

Being more curious, I sent another email asking the Team: Since Google doesn't consider local purchasing power, and poor countries pay the same amount as wealthy countries for their products like GCP Exams, Cloud Services, etc, why would it be different when receiving benefits.

I didn’t get an answer again from the Google Research team. So I throw the question to you: Is it fair to give people less than you should simply because of where they come from?

Thank you in anticipation for your responses!

source: https://www.linkedin.com/in/nditah/detail/recent-activity/shares/

26 Likes

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by GeorgeTheCoder: 9:54am On Oct 31, 2018
This is a common way foreign companies seek to exploit low income nations. For instance, if you get a remote job say, as a programmer, they pay you based on your country of residence instead of your contribution. Since we lack functional government the cheating goes on. In any case, Google is an evil company. Avoid them if you can.

84 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by nditah(m): 10:10am On Oct 31, 2018
GeorgeTheCoder:
This is a common way foreign companies seek to exploit low income nations. For instance, if you get a remote job say, as a programmer, they pay you based on your country of residence instead of your contribution. Since we lack functional government the cheating goes on. In any case, Google is an evil company. Avoid them if you can.
I strongly believe it is fair to pay people according to their contribution. Can they imagine the hurdles you scaled through to get the skillset?

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by Newboss(m): 10:29am On Oct 31, 2018
Contact CNN, bro angry

A big story is loading angry

Seun

Lalasticlala

Mynd44

115 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by yxizzy(f): 10:39am On Oct 31, 2018
This should be pushed to the front page, Google should stop cheating and being unfair. It's obvious that it is a big company, so they don't care, but if we can shout, our voices might be heard. If they would consider purchasing power of an economy when giving, why won't they consider it too when selling their products to us. Other foreign companies need to learn from this act, it's either products are sold according to our purchasing power and we receive according to our purchasing power, or we buy and receive irrespective of our purchasing power. This is total fraud and wickedness.

This should be moved to the front page to see what others think of it, to me it is totally unacceptable. They are cheating us. Our youths spend more to use their services and they cut our benefits when we are done working for them, it is cheating. Let's repost and reshare until it gets to #google and their likes.

87 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by nditah(m): 12:00pm On Oct 31, 2018
Newboss:
Contact CNN, bro angry

Seun

Lalasticlala

Mynd44

OK. Let me check out their website if I can find a way to reach them. Thank you

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by nditah(m): 12:02pm On Oct 31, 2018
yxizzy:
This should be pushed to the front page, Google should stop cheating and being unfair. It's obvious that it is a big company, so they don't care, but if we can shout, our voices might be heard. If they would consider purchasing power of an economy when giving, why won't they consider it too when selling their products to us. Other foreign companies need to learn from this act, it's either products are sold according to our purchasing power and we receive according to our purchasing power, or we buy and receive irrespective of our purchasing power. This is total fraud and wickedness.

This should be moved to the front page to see what others think of it, to me it is totally unacceptable. They are cheating us. Our youths spend more to use their services and they cut our benefits when we are done working for them, it is cheating. Let's repost and reshare until it gets to #google and their likes.
I love the logical way you tackle it- "It's either product are sold according to our purchasing power and we receive according to our purchasing power, or we buy and receive irrespective of our purchasing power. " Thanks dear

53 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by Immaculatesnow(m): 12:59pm On Oct 31, 2018
grin Google is a great company, cool if you know how to use them, that is why I sell verified AdSense account to people

I now have a 90 dollars AdSense for sale oooooo
Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by yxizzy(f): 1:49pm On Oct 31, 2018
I don't know which, but can you file this incident with the FBI for further investigation: https://tips.fbi.gov/ or with IC3 https://complaint.ic3.gov/default.aspx?

8 Likes

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by Nobody: 5:36pm On Oct 31, 2018
It's really a surprise that such a treatment will emanate from Google itself, while it is a fact that African countries are treated shabbily by most technology companies for reasons you and I already know (corrupt government practises, and as such, don't care about its citizens), but Google should be different. undecided

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by bedfordng(m): 6:27pm On Oct 31, 2018
hmmm

1 Like

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by nditah(m): 6:43pm On Oct 31, 2018
yxizzy:
I don't know which, but can you file this incident with the FBI for further investigation: https://tips.fbi.gov/ or with IC3 https://complaint.ic3.gov/default.aspx?
Thank you for your support.

1 Like

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by henryobinna(m): 4:48am On Nov 01, 2018
This is bad for their reputation, I find it to believe they could do such a thing, eventhe response is totally off.

So they'll reward those from countries of high purchasing power better than those withless, irrespective of the fact both pay same amount for their services. Fraud to me if you ask

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by Kingv(m): 8:58am On Nov 01, 2018
This is quite strange and bad...why not make your products equivalent to the purchasing power of each nation

We can make google to trend for the negative reason grin grin grin

#WayoGoogle

7 Likes

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:58am On Nov 01, 2018
Newboss:
Contact CNN, bro angry

SUPPORTED!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by kixax: 8:59am On Nov 01, 2018
the white supremacy against africans is for real and not surprised if google does so

6 Likes

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by flyca: 8:59am On Nov 01, 2018
GeorgeTheCoder:
This is a common way foreign companies seek to exploit low income nations. For instance, if you get a remote job say, as a programmer,[b] they pay you based on your country of residence instead of your contribution. [/b]Since we lack functional government the cheating goes on. In any case, Google is an evil company. Avoid them if you can.

You are right!
Even Chinko country has mastered this act. They pay you based on the minimum wage of your home country. And yes, since we lack functional government the cheating goes on.
Pathetic!

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by peoplesinfo: 8:59am On Nov 01, 2018
hhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm...ion knw
Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by Nobody: 8:59am On Nov 01, 2018
d
Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by Xisnin(m): 8:59am On Nov 01, 2018
Are you a snowflake?

1 Like

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by xuheyic: 9:00am On Nov 01, 2018
google o, amazon o, apple o. all of them are same against nigeria

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by BruncleZuma: 9:00am On Nov 01, 2018
grin grin grin grin
Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by QuiverBox(f): 9:01am On Nov 01, 2018
Sounds more like the 'QUOTA SYSTEM' that exist in Nigeria.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by AleAirHub(m): 9:02am On Nov 01, 2018
Supported
Newboss:
Contact CNN, bro angry

Seun

Lalasticlala

Mynd44

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by patokenneth: 9:05am On Nov 01, 2018
It's quite unfair... They don't have any response to your second mail. That's why they didn't reply, they couldn't.

7 Likes

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by great664(m): 9:06am On Nov 01, 2018
Don't mind them. That's how one wants to pay me low $3/hour but choose to pay Canadians $6.25/hour because I am from Africa.

And another Portuguese lady want to hire me for $5 for 10hr job and specifically mentioned that she's helping me, that if she gives it to Bangladesh people they will be grateful. grin grin grin

I ask her to do the job herself and I will pay her. Africans ain't poor.

71 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by vawitiru: 9:09am On Nov 01, 2018
Can you just imagine?....

1 Like

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by DeepSight(m): 9:09am On Nov 01, 2018
In addition, Google does not feature Nigeria on Google Pay. Can anyone explain why this is? Could it be related to our propensity for fraud?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by BedLam: 9:12am On Nov 01, 2018
DeepSight:

In addition, Google does not feature Nigeria on Google Pay. Can anyone explain why this is? Could it be related to our propensity for fraud?
Banks.

4 Likes

Re: Does Google Discriminate Against Nigeria (Africa)? by TalkTalkTwins(m): 9:12am On Nov 01, 2018
Immaculatesnow:
grin Google is a great company, cool if you know how to use them, that is why I sell verified AdSense account to people

I now have a 90 dollars AdSense for sale oooooo

How much do you sell UK Adsense?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Best Web Hosting Company In Nigeria / My Website Is Under Attack!! / Tutorial-building Dynamic Websites

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.