Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,721 members, 7,816,970 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:35 PM

Rebuilding A Honda Accord 2.0L Engine(The R series!) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Rebuilding A Honda Accord 2.0L Engine(The R series!) (2476 Views)

Which SUV Is 4 Plugs And Not More Than 2.0L Engine, Fuel Economy / Lets Debate This: Fuel Consumption Between A Honda And Toyota / 1.5L, 1.8L, 3.0L Engine? What Do They Mean In Cars? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rebuilding A Honda Accord 2.0L Engine(The R series!) by TRYGO(m): 6:14pm On Oct 31, 2018
The main purpose of writing this piece is to intimate people that, asides Toyotas, and others, HONDA BRANDED vehicles can be rebuilt, to standard.

There are a lot of skepticism about engine overhauls.

Some people, see it as a waste of time, and resources. They argue, why not just replaced an engine that's having a major mechanical problems, such as seizures, or engine knocks, etc.

Almost everything on an automobile, can be repaired, without entirely replacing it.

In this piece of writeup, I'd be sharing my experiences on the overhaul of a Honda Accord, 2008.

CASE STUDY

Vehicle: Honda accord 2008
Transmission system: Automatic
Engine configuration: 4cylinder SOHC
Engine capacity: 2.0L

CUSTOMER'S COMPLAINTS
Engine makes a knocking noise; vehicle can't ascend hilly terrain; engine oil consumption is significantly high (he keeps topping it almost everyday).

THE FIX-INSPECTIONS
1. Blue smoke coming out of the exhaust tailpipe.
2. Confirmed engine has no compression enough.
3. Engine make was an R series lineups, which were incorporated in Crv, civics(2013- present), and accords(08).

These R series engines from Honda corporation are in 1.6/1.8/2.0L configurations, with the 2.0L, meant for performance, and fuel economy.
The 1.6/1.8L are basically meant t for fuel economy.
4. All spark plugs were caked, as a result of excessive engine oil burnings.
5. Scoured crankshaft, crankshaft journal and camshaft bearings.
6. Excessive worn camshaft top cylinder journals, and a rocker arm assembly.

1. All piston rings, metal bearings for the crankshaft, and camshafts were all replaced with new genuine Honda only parts.

2. During such rebuilds, endeavor to have all the rubber seals(O-seals, crankshaft/camshaft seals replaced).

3. Ensure the top cylinder and engine block surfaces are not warped(bent).
That would prevent pressure leaks during the compression strokes.
Get a machinist to help with checking that out before assembling the engine.

4. Don't use synthetic oil to break in the rings after overhauls.
I use 20W-50 to get the rings seated properly, then after a month or 1000miles, I get the engine oil replaced, and switch to its recommended engine oil(5w20).

Note: Allowing the engine to idling excessive for a long time, those nothing to seat the rings properly as some mechanics are meant to believed.

Allowed the engine to idling for a while, then go for a test drive.

Simulate all driving kinds of conditions (aggressive, and in gridlocks).

5. Hand over vehicle to owner, and request that vehicle must be returned after a month, for engine oil change.

Finally, if you got any vehicle/engine to overhaul, please get across to the contact below.

It doesn't matter the engine configurations.

Whether, I4, V6-V12.

There are clients over here that we'd had their vehicles rebuilt(a Corolla is still in service, after 2017).

Regards,
Joseph
08066643532(WhatsApp/call)
DW Nig Ltd
Isolo,
Lagos
www.dxta.net.ng

PS: Give your mechanic time to rebuild your engine; don't rush them(him).

2 Likes

Re: Rebuilding A Honda Accord 2.0L Engine(The R series!) by TRYGO(m): 6:26pm On Oct 31, 2018
Honda accord 08 rebuilt engine

Re: Rebuilding A Honda Accord 2.0L Engine(The R series!) by TRYGO(m): 6:29pm On Oct 31, 2018
Spark plugs, and ignition coils fully immersed in engine oil. Tips of the plugs shows some form of caking.

Re: Rebuilding A Honda Accord 2.0L Engine(The R series!) by TRYGO(m): 6:36pm On Oct 31, 2018
Shows the scouring on the engine block crankshaft journal bearing

Re: Rebuilding A Honda Accord 2.0L Engine(The R series!) by TRYGO(m): 6:40pm On Oct 31, 2018
Crankshaft assembly, with its journals scoured. Replaced with new genuine Honda journal bearings

Re: Rebuilding A Honda Accord 2.0L Engine(The R series!) by TRYGO(m): 6:44pm On Oct 31, 2018
The catalytic converter without anything in it. owner would vet that replaced subsequently.

Re: Rebuilding A Honda Accord 2.0L Engine(The R series!) by uboma(m): 6:53pm On Oct 31, 2018
Grabs a pack of popcorn and a chilled bottle of Coke.

I also have my notepad and a pen.

3 Likes

Re: Rebuilding A Honda Accord 2.0L Engine(The R series!) by TRYGO(m): 6:55pm On Oct 31, 2018
Timing chain exposed, readying it for TDC before removal. Extreme care must be taken, less the valves gets bent.

Re: Rebuilding A Honda Accord 2.0L Engine(The R series!) by TRYGO(m): 6:57pm On Oct 31, 2018
Shows the cylinder bores of the engine block. Bore sizes are still within tolerable limits.

Re: Rebuilding A Honda Accord 2.0L Engine(The R series!) by TRYGO(m): 6:58pm On Oct 31, 2018
Same engine block bores.

Re: Rebuilding A Honda Accord 2.0L Engine(The R series!) by TRYGO(m): 7:01pm On Oct 31, 2018
Pistons and rings already thrust into the engine block.

Re: Rebuilding A Honda Accord 2.0L Engine(The R series!) by TRYGO(m): 7:06pm On Oct 31, 2018
That's the replaced crankshaft assembly.

Re: Rebuilding A Honda Accord 2.0L Engine(The R series!) by TRYGO(m): 7:12pm On Oct 31, 2018
Camshaft displayed after rocker arm assembly was removed.

Re: Rebuilding A Honda Accord 2.0L Engine(The R series!) by TRYGO(m): 7:14pm On Oct 31, 2018
Synchronising the camshaft and crankshaft before mounting in the vehicle. Exercise care when timing those components. Any slight mistakes would lead to expensive damage and repairs.

Re: Rebuilding A Honda Accord 2.0L Engine(The R series!) by TRYGO(m): 7:20pm On Oct 31, 2018
This accord can be transplanted with a K24 series engine, and even a 1/8L R series engines, commonly found in Honda civics, and 2013 civics.

A K series engines are the ones you see available on EODs, and in some evil spirit 4cylinder(2.4L).
Re: Rebuilding A Honda Accord 2.0L Engine(The R series!) by thebigkendo(m): 7:45pm On Oct 31, 2018
Ego le
Re: Rebuilding A Honda Accord 2.0L Engine(The R series!) by slimmoney(m): 8:12pm On Oct 31, 2018
Following
Re: Rebuilding A Honda Accord 2.0L Engine(The R series!) by royallord1(m): 8:44pm On Oct 31, 2018
TRYGO:
The catalytic converter without anything in it. owner would vet that replaced subsequently.

Boss how much would it cost me to change the catalytic converter and the sensors on my 2009 crv
Re: Rebuilding A Honda Accord 2.0L Engine(The R series!) by cluewebhost(m): 8:47pm On Oct 31, 2018
thebigkendo:
Ego le

What's ballpark estimate for a rebuild?
(Ego Le in foreign)
Re: Rebuilding A Honda Accord 2.0L Engine(The R series!) by luvinhubby(m): 8:48pm On Oct 31, 2018
TRYGO:
This accord can be transplanted with a K24 series engine, and even a 1/8L R series engines, commonly found in Honda civics, and 2013 civics.

A K series engines are the ones you see available on EODs, and in some evil spirit 4cylinder(2.4L).

Will love to learn more about this, considering the fact that they have different wiring systems, gears and engine mounts.
Re: Rebuilding A Honda Accord 2.0L Engine(The R series!) by empron(m): 9:11pm On Oct 31, 2018
TRYGO:
The main purpose of writing this piece is to intimate people that, asides Toyotas, and others, HONDA BRANDED vehicles can be rebuilt, to standard.

There are a lot of skepticism about engine overhauls.

Some people, see it as a waste of time, and resources. They argue, why not just replaced an engine that's having a major mechanical problems, such as seizures, or engine knocks, etc.

Almost everything on an automobile, can be repaired, without entirely replacing it.

In this piece of writeup, I'd be sharing my experiences on the overhaul of a Honda Accord, 2008.

CASE STUDY

Vehicle: Honda accord 2008
Transmission system: Automatic
Engine configuration: 4cylinder SOHC
Engine capacity: 2.0L

CUSTOMER'S COMPLAINTS
Engine makes a knocking noise; vehicle can't ascend hilly terrain; engine oil consumption is significantly high (he keeps topping it almost everyday).

THE FIX-INSPECTIONS
1. Blue smoke coming out of the exhaust tailpipe.
2. Confirmed engine has no compression enough.
3. Engine make was an R series lineups, which were incorporated in Crv, civics(2013- present), and accords(08).

These R series engines from Honda corporation are in 1.6/1.8/2.0L configurations, with the 2.0L, meant for performance, and fuel economy.
The 1.6/1.8L are basically meant t for fuel economy.
4. All spark plugs were caked, as a result of excessive engine oil burnings.
5. Scoured crankshaft, crankshaft journal and camshaft bearings.
6. Excessive worn camshaft top cylinder journals, and a rocker arm assembly.

1. All piston rings, metal bearings for the crankshaft, and camshafts were all replaced with new genuine Honda only parts.

2. During such rebuilds, endeavor to have all the rubber seals(O-seals, crankshaft/camshaft seals replaced).

3. Ensure the top cylinder and engine block surfaces are not warped(bent).
That would prevent pressure leaks during the compression strokes.
Get a machinist to help with checking that out before assembling the engine.

4. Don't use synthetic oil to break in the rings after overhauls.
I use 20W-50 to get the rings seated properly, then after a month or 1000miles, I get the engine oil replaced, and switch to its recommended engine oil(5w20).

Note: Allowing the engine to idling excessive for a long time, those nothing to seat the rings properly as some mechanics are meant to believed.

Allowed the engine to idling for a while, then go for a test drive.

Simulate all driving kinds of conditions (aggressive, and in gridlocks).

5. Hand over vehicle to owner, and request that vehicle must be returned after a month, for engine oil change.

Finally, if you got any vehicle/engine to overhaul, please get across to the contact below.

It doesn't matter the engine configurations.

Whether, I4, V6-V12.

There are clients over here that we'd had their vehicles rebuilt(a Corolla is still in service, after 2017).

Regards,
Joseph
08066643532(WhatsApp/call)
DW Nig Ltd
Isolo,
Lagos
www.dxta.net.ng

PS: Give your mechanic time to rebuild your engine; don't rush them(him).

Nice job bro
Re: Rebuilding A Honda Accord 2.0L Engine(The R series!) by HeavenlyBang(m): 10:03pm On Oct 31, 2018
We need more threads like this. wink
Re: Rebuilding A Honda Accord 2.0L Engine(The R series!) by TRYGO(m): 11:05pm On Oct 31, 2018
Royalord1: got no definite cost in catcon replacement. I don't know what sensors you're referring to. We've got lots of sensors on such vehicles.
Re: Rebuilding A Honda Accord 2.0L Engine(The R series!) by Lekan239(m): 10:52am On Jun 04, 2023
TRYGO:

I think this is the K24-series meant for EOD or Evil spirit in my honda civic 2007

(1) (Reply)

Honda Civic 2021 Or Toyota Corolla 2021? / More Facts About Obdii Scanning / Showcasing Classic Hondas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.