Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,274 members, 7,818,932 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:28 AM

‘igbo Language May Go Extinct’ - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / ‘igbo Language May Go Extinct’ (5570 Views)

10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest / Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ‘igbo Language May Go Extinct’ by ezeagu(m): 1:46am On Jul 22, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

amala meeting? undecided

grin Follow the accents: ámá - àlà but you have to say it without a pause.

No language will be 'global' forever, just look at how only one country has Latin as an official language, and the country isn't even that much of a country in practice.

Please, some people should remember countries like Japan and China where they have their indigenous languages as official and people there rarely speak English, yet their people 'rule' (after Nigerians) in US schools. People are talking about removing the Latin script self, talk less of English as the official language.

I agree that if Nigeria was split into its 'natural' cultural areas, to make the dominant language there official will greatly maintain the language. Official as in court (of course all these can be translated) and in swearing in of a president/prime minister, constitution, government owned channel, replacing the English languages prominence in schools with Igbo and making English secondary, etc.

Let's try and remember that the English language will not fly out of someone's head in a free, 'connected' country even if every aspect of the country was in a different language, because at the end of the day there's still movies, music, the internet (which, when used technically, can only be used in American English), social networks, etc.
Re: ‘igbo Language May Go Extinct’ by ezeagu(m): 2:04am On Jul 22, 2010
Oh, and I forgot. With an official African language, people can ask you if you speak _____*insert the term for the countries inhabitants*_______ and you can give them an answer that is not an essay on the complexity of colonial made countries. With that, there will also be more exposure to the language because people will see it as important. With the current situation in Nigeria, when someone asks you what language you speak you will say Igbo, or if they ask you if you speak Nigerian you'll correct them to Igbo, and also tell them that there are other Nigerian languages, because of this people will feel Igbo is an unimportant secondary language that only a section of the country understands and speaks. . . . . oh, wait, it is. . . . . . . . .

For example, if someone says they speak Bakongo, but there are other languages in the DRC, you probably won't pay any attention to the language because you'll feel it would be a waste to spend time learning an 'unimportant' language, but if someone tells you that they speak Twi and it is the official language of Ghana (I know it isn't) you'll be more interested.
Re: ‘igbo Language May Go Extinct’ by ikenwan: 1:33am On Jul 23, 2010
Who's heard of the Society for Promoting Igbo Language and Culture? Imagine if their activities -- or at least, their attitudes -- were much more common, it would be beautiful. I, for one, can understand Igbo spoken in the Ngwa dialect (which, I shouldn't think, is much different from the dialect spoken across Abia State) and I used to speak it very fluently as a child. But 1997 was just a bad year for my sisters and I, and that was when we really began to forget it.

Within the last two years, though, I've really wanted to get back to speaking Igbo. I want to learn the other dialects so I can say, look, we really are one people, and I wholeheartedly agree with asha80. A language of thought and learning is a great way to preserve a language (look at Latin), but the parents should do more to instill the drive in the children, because it's the social utilization of that same language that keeps it vibrant.
Re: ‘igbo Language May Go Extinct’ by Nobody: 4:16am On Jun 24, 2012
@tpic: I doubt it...
Re: ‘igbo Language May Go Extinct’ by Nobody: 5:08am On Jun 24, 2012
This woman and these damn Igbo post......

Somebody must have been really sprung off some Igbo Dllck along time Ago Lmfao
Re: ‘igbo Language May Go Extinct’ by Nobody: 6:34am On Jun 24, 2012

Who is 'this woman' you speak of? cheesy
Re: ‘igbo Language May Go Extinct’ by Nobody: 7:48am On Jun 24, 2012
She knows who she is.

Check tha Op message history

Igbo
Igbo
Igbo
Igbo
Igbo
Igbo.......damn, that igbo dude must have put that strong arm of god inside of her, made that pucccy Obsessed

Im bout to go to Nigeria and Get some of these Crazy Yoruba women obsesssed with me...

Yoruba are Gorgeous.
Re: ‘igbo Language May Go Extinct’ by Nobody: 7:58am On Jun 24, 2012
I was tawkin bout some random shid tha otha week..

I think i was discussing , Dish washing Liquid and Seasoning Salt

And this chick came outa no where talking bout

"Maybe its Because They Don't Want Igbo Men"

Im like...what tha fhhhuck?..Lmfao

THEN I was in another thread a few dayz ago...

I think I Was discussing the Size of a Kangeroo's Heart and Total Lung Capacity along with Christina Aguilera's Original Nose

Then she came outa no where again tawkin bout...Igbo Men...

Outa No where..."Igbo Men This"..."Igbo Men That"

Like yo...Lmfao what did Igbo men do to this woman

She accused me of being a Nigerian Igbo Spy......Sounds Awesome

LmL i Enjoy this crazy lady's post...she's a bit of a nut but shes cool.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

An Ekiti Person Never Loses An Argument / African Culture Compared To European / Tiv "Mamiwater" Masquerade of Benue State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.