Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,479 members, 7,812,473 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:56 PM

Machinist At Gudu Market Abuja: Lathes, Press Etc - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Machinist At Gudu Market Abuja: Lathes, Press Etc (1530 Views)

How Do I Press Charges Against A Bullion Van Who Damaged My Car. / Rpm Of Car Won't Increase When I Press Gas Pedal / STEEL Vs. ALLOY WHEELS: Which One Is Stronger? Hydraulic Press Test (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Machinist At Gudu Market Abuja: Lathes, Press Etc by Piyke: 8:22am On Nov 06, 2018
I got to use these guys to replace a bushings on my front lower control arm.

Pictures to follow shortly...
Re: Machinist At Gudu Market Abuja: Lathes, Press Etc by Piyke: 8:26am On Nov 06, 2018
A bit of background...
You may remember my earlier quest to get ball joint press kit. I did get one and used it successfully on the right front control arm; no issues. Link to video below...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNZn1NQ_gB0&feature=youtu.be
Re: Machinist At Gudu Market Abuja: Lathes, Press Etc by Piyke: 8:37am On Nov 06, 2018
However when it came to the left side it was a different ball game o. It was just too tough to get the old bushing out! angry angry angry
I tried using a 3ft cheater pipe for additional leverage with the press tool but no way! I guess what would have made it work was a high torque impact wrench.

@Gazzuzz I'm just watching you with the Dewalt beast!

Long story short, it was late in the day, I put back the control arm like that in the vehicle and planned to take it on another day to this place I had seen in Gudu. I had seen a heavy-duty press there (not sure of how many tons it could put out, but it was quite a big equipment).
Re: Machinist At Gudu Market Abuja: Lathes, Press Etc by Piyke: 8:39am On Nov 06, 2018
Faithful day came, took out the control arm again and made a dash for Gudu. And here I was... Abdul Tech Works

Re: Machinist At Gudu Market Abuja: Lathes, Press Etc by Piyke: 8:45am On Nov 06, 2018
They sha used Kazeem method to hit out one of the bushings. I was asked for the press to do everything. The man's reason was simple; it will take more finesse and time to take out that particular bushing with the press.

They took out the other bushing with the press and pressed in my replacements in no time smiley
Re: Machinist At Gudu Market Abuja: Lathes, Press Etc by Piyke: 8:47am On Nov 06, 2018
Now the shop... This guy (not oga kpatakpata) really wanted to be in the picture, so I obliged him

Re: Machinist At Gudu Market Abuja: Lathes, Press Etc by Piyke: 8:52am On Nov 06, 2018
While I was there, a cylinder head was brought in for resurfacing. The mechanic that brought it said the car had an overheating event and now leaks oil from the top. I too a pic.

Re: Machinist At Gudu Market Abuja: Lathes, Press Etc by Piyke: 8:58am On Nov 06, 2018
Verdict. My bushing was well replaced and I share this just in case you happen to be in need of such services on display. However, since I did not use the other services I can't confirm how good they are.

Kingreign or any other of the Abuja Tech's do you know this place? Have you used?
Re: Machinist At Gudu Market Abuja: Lathes, Press Etc by com1234: 7:09am On Nov 21, 2018
Please can i have you contact. I need your opinion in smth related to your post. Thanks.
Re: Machinist At Gudu Market Abuja: Lathes, Press Etc by adanny01(m): 7:38am On Nov 21, 2018
Piyke:
Verdict. My bushing was well replaced and I share this just in case you happen to be in need of such services on display. However, since I did not use the other services I can't confirm how good they are.

Kingreign or any other of the Abuja Tech's do you know this place? Have you used?

I hope you had them align the big one it well. The bushing has a particular alignment if not it will cut in no time. The few times i changed the bushing, they didn't align it to its proper position causing it to cut in no time.

Secondly, after they removed mine twice via hitting, by the third time, the circular shape got distorted and probably enlarged. Another bushing never sat perfectly again. The third bushing was pulling out almost freely.

I had this problem only on one side after removing the oem. I hope ur replacement is oem, else this replacement dont last.
Re: Machinist At Gudu Market Abuja: Lathes, Press Etc by Piyke: 3:36pm On Nov 21, 2018
com1234:
Please can i have you contact. I need your opinion in smth related to your post. Thanks.

You can just use the NL email thingy or shoot me an email; piyke(at)diyautoworksng(dot)com

Just replace the misnomers above cheesy
Re: Machinist At Gudu Market Abuja: Lathes, Press Etc by Piyke: 5:21pm On Nov 21, 2018
adanny01:

I hope you had them align the big one it well. The bushing has a particular alignment if not it will cut in no time. The few times i changed the bushing, they didn't align it to its proper position causing it to cut in no time.

I didn't replace the big one ie the lower compliance bushing. I did that a couple years ago with Febi bilsten (FB) parts and I am tempted to say that FB may be better than Honda OEM! FB parts are German and they serve as OEM for a couple of European makes.
I replaced with Honda OEM a few years after getting the car and they lasted just a couple years... Maybe they were malaligned But it's the same guy that fitted the FB parts. So I'm kind of ruling that out.

Another point I should make is that when I fitted the FB lower compliance bushing, I also replaced the other 2 with the locally abundant RBI bushings. It was these 2 RBI bushings that I replaced this time around. The FB was still in good shape.

adanny01:

Secondly, after they removed mine twice via hitting, by the third time, the circular shape got distorted and probably enlarged. Another bushing never sat perfectly again. The third bushing was pulling out almost freely.

I had this problem only on one side after removing the oem.

Sad thing. Probably why Honda recommends the replacement of the control arm itself when these bushings fail. It's just that a lot of people that own presses see using the press for some removals as a waste of time. My holes still look good though

adanny01:

I hope ur replacement is oem, else this replacement dont last.

One bushing was FB and the other Nipparts
Nipparts is made in the Netherlands and I wanted to give them a try. I don't think they will be bad. I trust the Europeans undecided

1 Like

Re: Machinist At Gudu Market Abuja: Lathes, Press Etc by AutoElectNG: 5:25pm On Nov 21, 2018
I have used them to resurface brake discs
Re: Machinist At Gudu Market Abuja: Lathes, Press Etc by forap(m): 11:32pm On Dec 15, 2018
AutoElectNG:
I have used them to resurface brake discs
What's your office address in Abuja, I want to bring a camry 07 with check engine signal

(1) (Reply)

Vehicle Steering Conversion / Very Sharp 2001 Family CRV / How To Test The Ignition Coil In A Vehicle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.