Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,484 members, 7,812,505 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:26 PM

Dear Parents - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Dear Parents (413 Views)

Dear Parents,Gather here and talk your own. / Dear Parents, Before You Send You Girl Child To The University / Dear Parents!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Dear Parents by MattChidi(m): 11:50am On Nov 07, 2018
Dear Parents,

If you tell your kids; 'Do not talk while eating.' Let them not find you doing the same thing.

If you advise them to pray before and after bed. Let them watch you do it every now and then.

If you tell them to be respectful. Please let them see you respect everyone you come in contact with, including your maids, staffs, gate-man, driver, receptionist etc.

If you want them to love their spouse tomorrow, shower your own spouse with love and care.

If you want them to be hardworking and smart, let them see you display it.

If you want them never to come home after 8:00 O'clock, please never come home late.

If you want them to be truthful, honest and diligent, please let them see you practice these.

No matter how many times you talk to them or teach them, the best way they learn is by seeing you live through what you've been teaching them about.

Leading by example is the best form to school children.

The point I'm trying to make is; Your children are the reflection of whom you are.

One of the things I learnt from my dad is being cautious of 'time.' My dad hate to go to any where late. He will always arrive on time and not in time. If an occasion or program was slated to start let's say by 10 am. My dad will start making preparations some hours before the time. He also hate misuse of time. He held the belief that there is time for everything and one should make the most of it.

From my mum, I learnt from to be calm, have good relationship with friends and relatives, take good care of things I own, give my best in whatever I engage in, and take my time to do whatsoever that is worth doing, well.

These traits are not inherent. It is learnt over time from what you grow up witnessing.

One thing I've observed for quite some time now is that some children from rich homes turn out to be a big problem to their parents.

The cause is not far fetched. It started when they were little. Those times when the kid was given everything they demanded without objections. They (parents) thought they were doing the child good not knowing they were simply breeding someone who would turn out to be a thorn in their flesh.

Many of the drug addicts, cultist and people with wayward lifestyles we see today are children from rich homes. Though, with exceptions.

Some parents thinks that providing money for food and school fees is enough for kids. Hell no! Your work doesn't stop there.

O yes, "Money answers all things," but can money buy morals, virtues or values? It can't.

Such are learnt over time and they need to be honed.

You as a parent need to get involved with their life (not left for just one gender alone).

You need to be there for them,
love them,
talk to them,
encourage them,
befriend them,
treat them with respect,
expose them to interesting things,
organize their time,
teach them about sex and sexuality,
discipline them fairly and raise them in a strong stable family.

Always treat them in a way that they will be open to you to talk about almost anything and be free with you.

You owe them these...

And above all, lead by example. For your kids tends to mirror your lives.

One secret of building a better society lies in hands of the family unit. You as a parent plays a critical role in making this a reality. Do your part well and you'll definitely see its ripple effect in our dear society.

Thank you.

Etumnu Matthew Chidi

#MattCares

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (Reply)

Happy Birthday To Us 1st January Borns / How Electric Fan Can Reduce Fuelling Cost / These Signs Should Make You Break Up Before Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.