Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,255 members, 7,846,172 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 11:35 AM

Minimum Wage: Gov. Umahi Threatens To Resign? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Minimum Wage: Gov. Umahi Threatens To Resign? (1777 Views)

Umahi Threatens To Revoke Benin-Sapele-Ologbo Road Contract Over Shoddy Job / RUGA: Umahi Threatens To Sue Pascal Oluchukwu, Gives 7-Day Ultimatum / Lock Your Shop For IPOB Sit-at-home, Lose It Forever - Umahi Threatens (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Minimum Wage: Gov. Umahi Threatens To Resign? by Nwaforj44: 2:55am On Nov 08, 2018
Gov David Umahi of Ebonyi on Wednesday in Abakaliki, declared that 95 per cent of states in the country cannot pay the proposed N30, 000 minimum wage to workers.

Umahi, who is the Chairman of the South East Governors Forum, said this while inaugurating a 36-member fact-finding committee to ascertain the mode of workers’ promotion arrears payment in states across the six geo-political zones of the states.

According to Umahi, the payment of the N30, 000 can only be realised if the federation account allocation formula is reviewed to offer more earnings to states.

“The federal government collects 52 per cent of the revenue from the federation account and when I tried to put the N30,000 figure to Local Government Areas (LGA) it means they will borrow N1billion to add to their allocation, in paying salaries.

“I will definitely not be a governor to govern such a state and will never preside over a state that will allocate 100 per cent of its earnings to pay salaries,” he said.

The governor recommended that the issue of petroleum subsidy in the country should also be reviewed as had been noted by the state and federal governments.

“We must presently have the courage to say this because a lot of money can be saved from the subsidy if properly distributed.

“When 100, 000 litres of petrol is allocated to me for instance and deducted from my allocation, it is then my business to ensure that there is no leakage.

“There is no governor or political office holder that signs cheques but civil servants as the country’s leaders and labour are just putting water inside a basket and praying God to hold it with this minimum wage issue,” he said.

He urged the country’s leaders and labour to liaise and decide on the percentage of the federation account that should be voted for salaries and other sectors.

“We should determine how much should be allocated to education, health, infrastructure among others if 100 per cent of earnings are used to pay workers salaries.

“Many states are experiencing various problems and cannot pay salaries but the people condemn their governments over their inability to provide good roads and other amenities.

“People don’t understand the problems being experienced by these states and the governors have kept quiet for long and need to speak presently,” he said.

Umahi regretted that the issue of promotion arrears for workers in the state had lingered for long and urged the committee to be sincere with their findings to find an amicable solution to it.

“We have been setting up committees on this issue and getting no results with people not being sincere and resorting to all sorts of things,” he said.

Dr Hyginus Nwokwu, the Secretary to the State Government (SSG) noted that the issue made the governor to institute a 36-man member committee to tour states in the six geo political zones and ascertain the mode of payments.

“The members are drawn from critical elements of state with the organised labour having 12 nominees, Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) 12 nominees and the government-12 nominees.

“The committee will tour three states in each of these zones, ascertain relevant facts, analyse and present them to enable government take disposable and final actions on the matter,” he said.

Mr Leonard Nkah, the Acting Chairman of the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) in the state and Chairman of the committee pledged to ensure the actualisation of the committee’s aims.

“We pledge to assiduously discharge our duties and make recommendations that will permanently solve the problem for a healthy government and labour relationship,” he said.

Full details at https://www.akelicious.net/2018/11/minimum-wage-gov-umahi-threatens-to.html

Re: Minimum Wage: Gov. Umahi Threatens To Resign? by WetinConsignMe: 2:56am On Nov 08, 2018
Mumu gov stupid enough to question Obi selection as VP

1 Like

Re: Minimum Wage: Gov. Umahi Threatens To Resign? by Pat081: 3:38am On Nov 08, 2018
If dey born u have well do dat , thief

1 Like

Re: Minimum Wage: Gov. Umahi Threatens To Resign? by mrvitalis(m): 4:13am On Nov 08, 2018
This people really think that civil servant would be paid 30k or a being paid 18k presently

As it stands now and weac holder officially employed by the federal government earns over 40k at 30k minimum wage would earn 70k plus

Even bank cashiers dont earn that much in this country why should government pay that much

A university graduate just employed earns 70k to 120k depending on the agency at 18k minimum wage... Now they would earn 140 to 240k at 30k minimum wage... How many banks pay this much

For a country that earns less than 4 trillion a year and pays close 2 trillion a wage in civil servants salaries asking the government to increase the wage by 1.4 trillion is madness and only civil servants would benefit

The rest of us won't get anything

2 Likes

Re: Minimum Wage: Gov. Umahi Threatens To Resign? by WebSurfer(m): 5:22am On Nov 08, 2018
We have useless leaders in this country

1 Like

Re: Minimum Wage: Gov. Umahi Threatens To Resign? by Soulsymbol99: 6:19am On Nov 08, 2018
mrvitalis:
This people really think that civil servant would be paid 30k or a being paid 18k presently

As it stands now and weac holder officially employed by the federal government earns over 40k at 30k minimum wage would earn 70k plus

Even bank cashiers dont earn that much in this country why should government pay that much

A university graduate just employed earns 70k to 120k depending on the agency at 18k minimum wage... Now they would earn 140 to 240k at 30k minimum wage... How many banks pay this much

For a country that earns less than 4 trillion a year and pays close 2 trillion a wage in civil servants salaries asking the government to increase the wage by 1.4 trillion is madness and only civil servants would benefit

U hv a point sha undecided bt if government can be sincere and cut cost of governance, block alot of leakages(like I dnt understand wot they are doin in that subsidy, senator 's jombo allowances, governor' s security votes) alot of waste. I tell u money will be available. But dat will be a tall dream. cool

1 Like

Re: Minimum Wage: Gov. Umahi Threatens To Resign? by mrvitalis(m): 6:24am On Nov 08, 2018
Soulsymbol99:

U hv a point sha undecided bt if government can be sincere and cut cost of governance, block alot of leakages(like I dnt understand wot they are doin in that subsidy, senator 's jombo allowances, governor' s security votes) alot of waste. I tell u money will be available. But dat will be a tall dream. cool

Bros the total budget of the national assembly is less than 140bn

That's can't even pay workers as we speak now for a month... Enough of this senators high pay

The real people eating our money is the lazy civil servants
https://www.google.com.ng/amp/www.informationng.com/2018/06/2018-budget-national-assembly-increased-its-own-budget-by-n14-5-billion-without-discussion-with-the-executive-buhari.html/amp
Re: Minimum Wage: Gov. Umahi Threatens To Resign? by Abdulquadrimumt: 6:29am On Nov 08, 2018
Re: Minimum Wage: Gov. Umahi Threatens To Resign? by IamD18: 6:36am On Nov 08, 2018
What connection do business men and self-employed folks have with these minimum poo of an issue.

4 Likes

Re: Minimum Wage: Gov. Umahi Threatens To Resign? by Sunnymatey(m): 7:10am On Nov 08, 2018
They should be more concern hw they pay their 1m exco members.
Re: Minimum Wage: Gov. Umahi Threatens To Resign? by daringhilton: 8:27am On Nov 08, 2018
I AM PAUL, A MULTIMEDIA EXPERT. LET ME TRAIN YOU TO BE A MOST SOUGHT AFTER GRAPHICS DESIGNER EMPLOYERS AND CLIENTS WANT TO HIRE IN 3 WEEKS!
[/b]
I am Paul, a full fledged Multimedia Expert - Graphics Designer, Photographer, Video Editor, 3D Animator and Motion Graphics Expert.
[b]
My expertise lies in branding, design and typography, which are exemplified in each project I am involved in. With my extensive working experience in Photoshop, Illustrator, Corel Draw and InDesign (including other Adobe design tools), it allows me to consistently create designs that align accordingly with clients' expectations. I tackle any design project with a keen eye, a steady hand and endless imagination. With my experience and malleable creativity, I am able to produce solid design work that truly reflects my limitless skill as a multimedia designer and more importantly clients’ visions which there result in killer designs and happy clients

With my passion for creative training, let me teach you to produce killer designs in 3 weeks!

FEES: N25,000 - DISCOUNT FOR EARLY PAYMENT
N30,000 - PAYMENT ON TRAINING DAY

DATE: TUESDAY 20TH OF NOVEMBER, 2018

VENUE: IKEJA, LAGOS

REQUIRED: Just Your Laptop and passion for Creative Designs

ITEM 7: Daily Lunch meal of real Nigerian dishes for participants – CONFIRMED!

OUR FIRM GUARANTEE: At the end of this training, we guarantee that you would be able to design GRAPHICS!
We even offer the first training day FREE for those interested to come and taste the awesome practical GRAPHICS DESIGN training we offer. But if after the one day free training you would like to commence the full training, you will be paying the full payment of N30,000!
THIS IS A GUARANTEE AT THE END OF THE TRAINING
Re: Minimum Wage: Gov. Umahi Threatens To Resign? by EngrXrix(m): 2:56pm On Nov 08, 2018
Nwaforj44:

Gov David Umahi of Ebonyi on Wednesday in Abakaliki, declared that 95 per cent of states in the country cannot pay the proposed N30, 000 minimum wage to workers.

Umahi, who is the Chairman of the South East Governors Forum, said this while inaugurating a 36-member fact-finding committee to ascertain the mode of workers’ promotion arrears payment in states across the six geo-political zones of the states.

According to Umahi, the payment of the N30, 000 can only be realised if the federation account allocation formula is reviewed to offer more earnings to states.

“The federal government collects 52 per cent of the revenue from the federation account and when I tried to put the N30,000 figure to Local Government Areas (LGA) it means they will borrow N1billion to add to their allocation, in paying salaries.

“I will definitely not be a governor to govern such a state and will never preside over a state that will allocate 100 per cent of its earnings to pay salaries,” he said.

The governor recommended that the issue of petroleum subsidy in the country should also be reviewed as had been noted by the state and federal governments.

“We must presently have the courage to say this because a lot of money can be saved from the subsidy if properly distributed.

“When 100, 000 litres of petrol is allocated to me for instance and deducted from my allocation, it is then my business to ensure that there is no leakage.

“There is no governor or political office holder that signs cheques but civil servants as the country’s leaders and labour are just putting water inside a basket and praying God to hold it with this minimum wage issue,” he said.

He urged the country’s leaders and labour to liaise and decide on the percentage of the federation account that should be voted for salaries and other sectors.

“We should determine how much should be allocated to education, health, infrastructure among others if 100 per cent of earnings are used to pay workers salaries.

“Many states are experiencing various problems and cannot pay salaries but the people condemn their governments over their inability to provide good roads and other amenities.

“People don’t understand the problems being experienced by these states and the governors have kept quiet for long and need to speak presently,” he said.

Umahi regretted that the issue of promotion arrears for workers in the state had lingered for long and urged the committee to be sincere with their findings to find an amicable solution to it.

“We have been setting up committees on this issue and getting no results with people not being sincere and resorting to all sorts of things,” he said.

Dr Hyginus Nwokwu, the Secretary to the State Government (SSG) noted that the issue made the governor to institute a 36-man member committee to tour states in the six geo political zones and ascertain the mode of payments.

“The members are drawn from critical elements of state with the organised labour having 12 nominees, Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) 12 nominees and the government-12 nominees.

“The committee will tour three states in each of these zones, ascertain relevant facts, analyse and present them to enable government take disposable and final actions on the matter,” he said.

Mr Leonard Nkah, the Acting Chairman of the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) in the state and Chairman of the committee pledged to ensure the actualisation of the committee’s aims.

“We pledge to assiduously discharge our duties and make recommendations that will permanently solve the problem for a healthy government and labour relationship,” he said.

Full details at https://www.akelicious.net/2018/11/minimum-wage-gov-umahi-threatens-to.html
He is right. The federal govt have to come up with a new revenue alocation formula because increment in salary also means more allocations.
Re: Minimum Wage: Gov. Umahi Threatens To Resign? by WetinConsignMe: 4:06am On Nov 09, 2018
mrvitalis:

They can also print more money. Everybody benefits because workers have to spend that windfall somewhere. The only losers will be those whose salaries aren't raised - like senators!
Re: Minimum Wage: Gov. Umahi Threatens To Resign? by mrvitalis(m): 8:01am On Nov 09, 2018
WetinConsignMe:

They can also print more money. Everybody benefits because workers have to spend that windfall somewhere. The only losers will be those whose salaries aren't raised - like senators!
Print more money? Lol and people like u would rush and call buhari dumb
Re: Minimum Wage: Gov. Umahi Threatens To Resign? by WetinConsignMe: 8:18am On Nov 09, 2018
mrvitalis:

Print more money? Lol and people like u would rush and call buhari dumb

Yes! What that means is that people with stockpiles of naira will see their money worth less while workers will experience a slight wage increase in reality. In other words their 30k will actually be, say, 22k in today's naira.
Re: Minimum Wage: Gov. Umahi Threatens To Resign? by ican2020: 9:01am On Nov 09, 2018
the useless Governor should go

(1) (Reply)

Okorocha Lobbys Oshiomole With A Giant Statue In Govt House- Picture / BREAKING: BUHARI, OSINBANJO Given 2 Weeks To Resign. / Jonathan Should Apologize To Nigerians – Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.