Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,987 members, 7,835,306 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:25 AM

NEMA: Osinbajo Reacts To Reps’ Indictment In N5.8bn North East, Idps Interventio - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NEMA: Osinbajo Reacts To Reps’ Indictment In N5.8bn North East, Idps Interventio (1389 Views)

Sex-For-Food Destroying Girls, Women In North-East IDPs Camps / Osinbajo Given 7 Days To Resign By Timi Frank Over N5.8bn ‘Illegal Approval’ / Copy Of Tinubu's Indictment In Chicago USA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NEMA: Osinbajo Reacts To Reps’ Indictment In N5.8bn North East, Idps Interventio by 2Ebisco: 10:56pm On Nov 09, 2018
Vice President Yemi Osinbajo has reacted to House of Representatives accusation that he illegally approved the release of the sum of N5, 865, 671, 939.26 in June 2017 from the Consolidated Revenue Fund Account to the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA).

This was contained in a report released on Thursday by the House Committee on NEMA.

The report, whose recommendations were based on findings from a thorough investigation by the Hon Ali Isa J.C House Committee on Emergency and Disaster Preparedness, was adopted by the House.

Reacting, Osinbajo through his spokesman, Laolu Akande, said the lawmakers’ conclusion was both false and misleading.

He said: “To start with, it is important to understand the context of the transaction. This was at a time when internally displaced persons and their host communities faced very severe food shortages throughout the North East, as a result of successive poor harvests and abandoned farmlands, minimal cross-border cash crop trade and lost economic opportunities.

“On 15th April 2017, the United Nations World Food Programme (UN WFP), a major aid organisation and food supplier to the region, had issued a warning that it would be reducing its vital support to about 1.8 million IDPs by as much as 85%, due to corresponding reduction in funding by the donor countries. Around the same time, the United Nations Commission for Refugees in Geneva also warned of the growing risk of mass deaths from starvation among people living in the conflict areas.

“The Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) moved urgently to prevent the looming disaster by establishing a strategic food intervention plan for the affected States. A Presidential Committee on Emergency Food Delivery to the North East was convened and the Committee met on the 13th of May, 2017 to kick off the process, with the then Acting President as Chairman. Other members of the Committee included:
(i) Minister of Finance;
(ii) Minister of Budget and National Planning;
(iii) Minister of State for Budget and National Planning;
(iv) Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development;
(v) Governor of Central Bank;
(vi) Deputy Chief of Staff to the President; and
(vii) Senior Special Assistant in the Office of the Chief of Staff to the President.

“Resulting from the deliberations of this and subsequent meetings, the approval referred to in the House Committee’s Report was, in fact, based on a request raised by the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria as facilitator of the National Food Security Programme, vide a letter dated May 25, 2017.

“As explained in the said letter, there was an immediate need to distribute grains, including rice, maize, soya beans and sorghum, to Internally Displaced Persons through the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA). The only way to obtain the quantity of grains required was to resort to the National Food Security Progamme (NFSP) earlier established by the Federal Government as a means of shoring up its strategic grain reserves.

“It was in consequence of the Federal Government decision to urgently purchase the stored grains for distribution to Internally Displaced Persons that the CBN made the proposal for approval of 30,905.08 Metric Tonnes at N5,229,685,333.26. Of that amount, the then Acting President eventually approved N5,036,644,933.26, after excluding bagging costs. This was pursuant to the recommendation that bagging, transportation and other logistics were best handled by NEMA.

“NEMA also originated a request to the Acting President, dated May 25, 2017, requesting the sum of N829,026,456.00 for general logistics, branding & packaging, tracking, security, personnel, media & publicity and contingency costs of taking the grains from their respective locations in Kano, Kaduna, Funtua, Ibadan and Gombe to Adamawa, Borno, Yobe, Bauchi, Gombe, Taraba and Jigawa States.

“These presidential approvals were well within the clear constitutional authority of the Acting President, who needed to take emergency steps to forestall acute food shortages in the affected States and there was nothing illegal or unconstitutional about them. The approvals were duly communicated by the Deputy Chief of Staff to the Governor of Central Bank, Director General of NEMA and the Minister of Finance for implementation.

“On account of the emergency nature of the procurement, the House Committee’s assumption that the ordinary rules of procurement would apply was wrong. Section 43 of the Public Procurement Act makes provision for emergency procurement, in which case the procuring entity is allowed to engage in direct contracting for goods and file a report thereafter with the Bureau of Public Procurement.

“It is also wrong to assume that taxes and interests accruable to government from these transactions in food items were deliberately ignored or waived by neglect. Of course, we expect that any loans advanced to any of the companies would be recovered with the agreed interests, and that any profits made by such companies would be liable to tax in the usual manner.

“The suggestion that the grains were never delivered to the target States is also blatant falsehood. In actual fact, in order to ensure effective distribution of the grains, an Emergency Food Intervention Project Team was established, consisting of the Director General of NEMA and representatives of the National Security Adviser, Chief of Defence Staff, Chief of Army Staff, Chief of Naval Staff, Chief of Air Staff, Department of State Security, Nigeria Police and the Presidency.

“The Committee also worked with respective State Emergency Management Agencies, as well as humanitarian agencies such as World Food Programme, International Committee of the Red Cross, and the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. Deliveries were publicly made directly to the intended beneficiaries. In fact, the then Acting President personally inspected the electronic truck-tracking unit established in Maiduguri for the purpose of monitoring the transportation, and flagged off the food distribution on the 8th of June, 2017. Besides, there was the integration of a robust monitoring and evaluation system into the operation in order to facilitate a transparent and accountable process.

“Therefore, all insinuations on this matter regarding purported indictments and perceived violations of due process or the constitution are baseless and totally false. Such interpretations are flawed and should be utterly ignored.”

https://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/11/nema-osinbajo-reacts-to-reps-indictment.html

Re: NEMA: Osinbajo Reacts To Reps’ Indictment In N5.8bn North East, Idps Interventio by phemmyutd(m): 11:12pm On Nov 09, 2018
Prof. Osibanjo is always teaching these dullard Senators/Reps their job.

I remembered when he rejected the bills from NASS, they all make noise and latter shut-up till today since they realised that their brain is too empty to engage the Prof.

All they are after is just to tarnish the image of the VP and makes him look like them.

You don't mess with a Prof and go Scot free.

5 Likes

Re: NEMA: Osinbajo Reacts To Reps’ Indictment In N5.8bn North East, Idps Interventio by Nobody: 11:13pm On Nov 09, 2018
This is a well-revised and properly articulated speech, but it didn't at any point tell us how much your percentage from the 5.8bn naira you signed off on an imaginary project will be.

A project we all know will never be initiated let alone be executed. Just tip off the aforementioned consulting ministers and drop peanuts for the IDPs to be fed dog food and housed in the mud.

Money we all know is being funnelled into your and Buhari's 2019 campaigns. If care is not taken, you'll kukuma follow him back to Daura.

1 Like

Re: NEMA: Osinbajo Reacts To Reps’ Indictment In N5.8bn North East, Idps Interventio by chinjo(m): 3:42am On Nov 10, 2018
Breez go soon open fowl yansh

2 Likes

Re: NEMA: Osinbajo Reacts To Reps’ Indictment In N5.8bn North East, Idps Interventio by fukushaki(m): 3:51am On Nov 10, 2018
grin
Re: NEMA: Osinbajo Reacts To Reps’ Indictment In N5.8bn North East, Idps Interventio by Matayenlong: 5:14am On Nov 10, 2018
Wow! This is beautiful!

Tell me one reason why this man won't rule Nigeria in the coming years.

This is clear, straight forward with enough details and witnesses to back his action and claim.

I was laughing when I heard this news yesterday cause I knew those Reps has low IQ.

#Matayenlong

2 Likes

Re: NEMA: Osinbajo Reacts To Reps’ Indictment In N5.8bn North East, Idps Interventio by JusticeSeeker: 5:15am On Nov 10, 2018
computergeek:
This is a well-revised and properly articulated speech, but it didn't at any point tell us how much your percentage from the 5.8bn naira you signed off on an imaginary project will be.

A project we all know will never be initiated let alone be executed. Just tip off the aforementioned consulting ministers and drop peanuts for the IDPs to be fed dog food and housed in the mud.

Money we all know is being funnelled into your and Buhari's 2019 campaigns. If care is not taken, you'll kukuma follow him back to Daura.
As a pdp supporter, you may not be wrong to think everyone behaves in the "pdp way" as you have expressed above. Unfortunately, this administration isn't like that. Check out the mode of implementation of of their social intervention programmes especially N-Power, compare to your sure-P and you will see the clear differences. We'll not go back to Egypt.

2 Likes

Re: NEMA: Osinbajo Reacts To Reps’ Indictment In N5.8bn North East, Idps Interventio by ivandragon: 5:55am On Nov 10, 2018
as well explained as Osibanjo's response is, he is simply a victim of his government's own propaganda & twisted tales.

when another government is in power, it will do what APC did to PDP, and that is say the money was shared amongst friends, families & cronies. after all, babchir is living proof that a large chunk of that money never got to its intended targets.

governance is not easy, but when you make it a 'policy' to rubbish even the littlest efforts & good works of your prodecesors, be rest assured that every good you do will be seen in the same light of incompetence & lifelessness...

2 Likes

Re: NEMA: Osinbajo Reacts To Reps’ Indictment In N5.8bn North East, Idps Interventio by Nobody: 6:23am On Nov 10, 2018
ivandragon:
as well explained as Osibanjo's response is, he is simply a victim of his government's own propaganda & twisted tales.

when another government is in power, it will do what APC did to PDP, and that is say the money was shared amongst friends, families & cronies. after all, babchir is living proof that a large chunk of that money never got to its intended targets.

governance is not easy, but when you make it a 'policy' to rubbish even the littlest efforts & good works of your prodecesors, be rest assured that every good you do will be seen in the same light of incompetence & lifelessness...

Can you tell me what there predecessor did o dat dey are now tarnishing?

Shey Jonah didn't share money?
Shey Jonah didn't say stealing is not corruption?
Thank God you can all see what chidoka said last time oya tell me what he did
Oh I forget d sure-p dat is scam nko?
Dansuki nko?
And many more

But u can tell me wot they did wrong in telling us how d Jonah administration bash money anyhow

Bro b realistic sir

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NEMA: Osinbajo Reacts To Reps’ Indictment In N5.8bn North East, Idps Interventio by Kennedy94(m): 6:27am On Nov 10, 2018
ok
Re: NEMA: Osinbajo Reacts To Reps’ Indictment In N5.8bn North East, Idps Interventio by ivandragon: 6:37am On Nov 10, 2018
olagbola55:

Dansuki nko?
And many more

But u can tell me wot they did wrong in telling us how d Jonah administration bash money anyhow

Bro b realistic sir

it is easy for you to call out others, relax, when another party takes over, they would also open the books of those presently in power.

on the issue of GEJ spending anyhow, there is/was no doubt that funds were mismanaged & stolen (samething is going on right now), but those presently in power are twisting the narrative to paint others blacker than they are.

PMB said Abacha never stole. same PMB has at various times reinstated alleged looters. same administration turns a blind eye to its own circle of looters.

so when you talk about being realistic, 1st look very well at those you support before castigating others.
Re: NEMA: Osinbajo Reacts To Reps’ Indictment In N5.8bn North East, Idps Interventio by Nobody: 7:01am On Nov 10, 2018
phemmyutd:

I remembered when he rejected the bills from NASS, they all make noise and latter shut-up till today since they realised that their brain is too empty to engage the Prof.

All they are after is just to tarnish the image of the VP and makes him look like them.

The question is, did he do it illegally or not?

1 Like

Re: NEMA: Osinbajo Reacts To Reps’ Indictment In N5.8bn North East, Idps Interventio by Nobody: 7:08am On Nov 10, 2018
JusticeSeeker:
As a pdp supporter, you may not be wrong to think everyone behaves in the "pdp way" as you have expressed above. Unfortunately, this administration isn't like that. Check out the mode of implementation of of their social intervention programmes especially N-Power, compare to your sure-P and you will see the clear differences. We'll not go back to Egypt.
I don't support PDP or APC. I won't vote in a criminal to replace Buhari. I'm just stating facts, unbiased facts.
Re: NEMA: Osinbajo Reacts To Reps’ Indictment In N5.8bn North East, Idps Interventio by argon500: 7:08am On Nov 10, 2018
Osibanjo and Olaolu are very good combo

They reply any allegation without sentiment.

1 Like

Re: NEMA: Osinbajo Reacts To Reps’ Indictment In N5.8bn North East, Idps Interventio by Almaiga: 7:17am On Nov 10, 2018
Buhari and Osibanjo are the most upright leaders in Africa. This is the much reason why they deserve to be re-elected to continue the good Governance they are dishing out to Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: NEMA: Osinbajo Reacts To Reps’ Indictment In N5.8bn North East, Idps Interventio by speedyGonzales: 8:58am On Nov 10, 2018
JusticeSeeker:

shut up, There are the same project. I know people who benefited from sure-p without knowing any government officials, it was more rigorous process, that targeted, people with very high probability of succeeding, it gave out 1 million to my friend for his project, and the comeback every few months to monitor his progress and give financial advice. The idea here is to target people with big idea's that in turn employ smaller people, thus the wealth trickles down from there

Npower, dishes out small amounts to more people and training them in simple jobs, hence this one reaches more people but less likely that large percentage of beneficiaries will make huge profits and employ others. I have also seen Nigerians, scam this Npower system, there's a girl on my street and another family friend, they have benefited and scammed it.

The Sure-P scheme was adopted by the world bank and transported to other countries in Asian and it is doing well. That is why people still employ Ngozi Okonjo Iweala at 64 years old, because she brings this new ideas that help make the world better.

1 Like

Re: NEMA: Osinbajo Reacts To Reps’ Indictment In N5.8bn North East, Idps Interventio by surgical: 9:10am On Nov 10, 2018
speedyGonzales:

shut up, There are the same project. I know people who benefited from sure-p without knowing any government officials, it was more rigorous process, that targeted, people with very high probability of succeeding, it gave out 1 million to my friend for his project, and the comeback every few months to monitor his progress and give financial advice. The idea here is to target people with big idea's that in turn employ smaller people, thus the wealth trickles down from there

Npower, dishes out small amounts to more people and training them in simple jobs, hence this one reaches more people but less likely that large percentage of beneficiaries will make huge profits and employ others. I have also seen Nigerians, scam this Npower system, there's a girl on my street and another family friend, they have benefited and scammed it.

The Sure-P scheme was adopted by the world bank and transported to other countries in Asian and it is doing well. That is why people still employ Ngozi Okonjo Iweala at 64 years old, because she brings this new ideas that help make the world better.
it is good you explained to him but have not noticed that and average APC supporters has no brain,it is useless arguing them since they have nothing to process it, can't you see how poor their administration has performed because of the quality of the people driving it

1 Like

Re: NEMA: Osinbajo Reacts To Reps’ Indictment In N5.8bn North East, Idps Interventio by ivandragon: 9:32am On Nov 10, 2018
speedyGonzales:

how many people can see the big picture?

like I always say, to support PMB, you cannot have a conscience.

the main differences between the 'social empowerment programmes' of both administrations are:

1. one was designed to get people out of poverty & make them self sufficient; the other is designed to keep the targeted people in poverty & make them dependent on government handouts.

2. one is designed to make the beneficiaries employers of labour & take more people out of poverty; the other aims to keep a large number of people dependent on government & subject to its whims & caprices.

3. one draws upon the creativity & innovation of the beneficiaries; the other stifles independent ambitions.

4. one seeks to ensure that beneficiaries are able to stand on their own after a while; the other simply leaves them to their fate after two years.

5. one rewards enterprise & contributes to the development & growth & pushes for industrialization; the other has no future beyond giving hand outs for a couple of years.

3 Likes

Re: NEMA: Osinbajo Reacts To Reps’ Indictment In N5.8bn North East, Idps Interventio by dalongjnr: 10:08am On Nov 10, 2018
soulpeppersoup:

The question is, did he do it illegally or not?
it's legal and very apt given the situation at hand, then.
“On account of the emergency nature of the procurement, the House Committee’s assumption that the ordinary rules of procurement would apply was wrong. Section 43 of the Public Procurement Act makes provision for emergency procurement, in which case the procuring entity is allowed to engage in direct contracting for goods and file a report thereafter with the Bureau of Public Procurement.

1 Like

Re: NEMA: Osinbajo Reacts To Reps’ Indictment In N5.8bn North East, Idps Interventio by FearGodinall: 10:13am On Nov 10, 2018
surgical:
it is good you explained to him but have not noticed that and average APC supporters has no brain,it is useless arguing them since they have nothing to process it, can't you see how poor their administration has performed because of the quality of the people driving it
Thank you for some times exposing this brainless dumd APC supporters. Imagine giving ten thousand naira as traders Moni.

2 Likes

Re: NEMA: Osinbajo Reacts To Reps’ Indictment In N5.8bn North East, Idps Interventio by FearGodinall: 10:29am On Nov 10, 2018
JusticeSeeker:
What do you mean by not going to Egypt. You know that millions of jobs were lost in this administration,in other word this jobs don't just fall from heaven but are created by someone,inflation is at the highest in the history of Nigeria, price of fuel increased that the money spent on subsidy will used for other critical national issues,but what do we have now,they pay more money for subsidy. N-power! do you that their was a presidential scholarship program for first class Nigerian graduate to study anywhere in the world. You just prove the set of people that supports failures. So dumb and foolish.

1 Like

Re: NEMA: Osinbajo Reacts To Reps’ Indictment In N5.8bn North East, Idps Interventio by NOETHNICITY(m): 1:29pm On Nov 10, 2018
ivandragon:

how many people can see the big picture?

like I always say, to support PMB, you cannot have a conscience.

the main differences between the 'social empowerment programmes' of both administrations are:

1. one was designed to get people out of poverty & make them self sufficient; the other is designed to keep the targeted people in poverty & make them dependent on government handouts.

2. one is designed to make the beneficiaries employers of labour & take more people out of poverty; the other aims to keep a large number of people dependent on government & subject to its whims & caprices.

3. one draws upon the creativity & innovation of the beneficiaries; the other stifles independent ambitions.

4. one seeks to ensure that beneficiaries are able to stand on their own after a while; the other simply leaves them to their fate after two years.

5. one rewards enterprise & contributes to the development & growth & pushes for industrialization; the other has no future beyond giving hand outs for a couple of years.
I insist that you are either Reno or FFK.
Re: NEMA: Osinbajo Reacts To Reps’ Indictment In N5.8bn North East, Idps Interventio by ivandragon: 1:32pm On Nov 10, 2018
NOETHNICITY:
I insist that you are either Reno or FFK.

then you are either Lia Moh'd or Adeshina
Re: NEMA: Osinbajo Reacts To Reps’ Indictment In N5.8bn North East, Idps Interventio by 0monnak0da: 1:35pm On Nov 10, 2018
phemmyutd:

Teaching them their job how?
His reaction is utter bluff and bluster.
What is required an independent inquiry.
This is not the first time that this government is unconstitutionally spending money without approval.
The helicopter purchase is a good example

1 Like

Re: NEMA: Osinbajo Reacts To Reps’ Indictment In N5.8bn North East, Idps Interventio by Gandollar(f): 2:23pm On Nov 10, 2018
olagbola55:

Dansuki nko?
And many more

Bro b realistic sir
Stick to your romance section where your expertise booms. Politics is not your thing Baba.
Re: NEMA: Osinbajo Reacts To Reps’ Indictment In N5.8bn North East, Idps Interventio by Nobody: 4:16pm On Nov 10, 2018
Gandollar:
Stick to your romance section where your expertise booms. Politics is not your thing Baba.

Lol.....see you chairman of pdp I will school you in politics lol

Don't try me o

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Breaking: Nigeria Military Apologize For Killings Cows In Kaduna State / Nigeria Prays: Live At Dclm Hq, Gbagada Lagos: Yakubu Gowon / Why Can't South East/igbo Buy Access To The Sea?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.