Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,295 members, 7,836,293 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:16 AM

Michelle Obama Reveals Why She Stopped Smiling At Trump’s Inauguration - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Michelle Obama Reveals Why She Stopped Smiling At Trump’s Inauguration (33087 Views)

Michelle Obama Describes Her Family's Daily Routine During Coronavirus Lockdown / Barack & Michelle Obama Buy Martha's Vineyard Mansion For $11.75 Million / Michelle Obama Had Miscarriage And Used IVF To Conceive Daughters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Michelle Obama Reveals Why She Stopped Smiling At Trump’s Inauguration by mimimile93: 3:17pm On Nov 13, 2018
Crimecity:
Michelle Obama says she found the day of Donald Trump’s inauguration so difficult to bear that she ‘stopped even trying to smile’ during the ceremony,

The former first lady, 54, shares the heart-wrenching confession in her new book, Becoming, which is due to be published on Tuesday, explaining that she was left devastated by the lack of diversity – and the stark contrast between Trump’s ceremony and her husband’s.

Michelle Obama reveals why she stopped smiling at Trump’s Inauguration

‘The vibrant diversity of the two previous inaugurations [both of her husband’s] was gone,’ she writes, before going on to state that she felt ‘the optics… what the public saw’ may have been a very realistic illustration of the incoming president’s ‘ideals’.

‘Someone from Barack’s administration might have said that the optics there were bad, that what the public saw didn’t reflect the president’s reality or ideas. But in this case, maybe it did,’ she says.

‘Realizing it, I made my own optic adjustment: I stopped even trying to smile.’
At the time, Michelle’s distressed expression sparked a slew of viral memes, as people used images of the outgoing first lady to illustrate their own feelings about the new president.

Twitter was full of funny screen grabs and jokes about Michelle’s pained face, with people writing things like, ‘Today Americans learned that Michelle Obama does not posses a poker face,’ and, ‘Michelle Obama is literally all of us today.’

In an interview with Good Morning America anchor Robin Roberts, which aired on Monday morning, hours before her book is due to launch, Michelle was pressed about her opinion on the current political situation.

‘I’ve said what I will continue to say: being Commander in Chief is a hard job,’ the mother-of-two said. ‘You need to have discipline, you need to read, and you need to be knowledgeable, you need to know history, you need to be careful with your words.
‘But voters make those decisions, and once those voters have spoken… we live with what we live with.’

With regard to her husband’s presidency – and how it might have led to Trump’s election, Michelle refuses to be drawn.

When Roberts noted that ‘there are some people that feel that the seed of discontent that led to Trump being elected happened during your husband’s presidency’, the mother-of-two replied:

‘I would like to indulge the question, but it requires a level of speculation about how people are feeling and thinking that I don’t have.
‘I think we’re going to have to figure that out as a nation.’

What she is sure about, however, is the fact that her family’s presence in the White House was both celebrated and ‘hated’ – perhaps even in equal measure.

‘Our presence in the White House had been celebrated by millions of Americans, but it also contributed to a reactionary sense of fear and resentment among others,’ she writes in her book.
‘The hatred was old and deep, and as dangerous as ever.’

Read more:

https://zenithnaija.com/michelle-obama-reveals-why-she-stopped-smiling-at-trumps-inauguration/

Trump is a gay and a fruadster.

Sai baba we are behind u
Re: Michelle Obama Reveals Why She Stopped Smiling At Trump’s Inauguration by akinboyo: 3:19pm On Nov 13, 2018
That tells you the difference between Nigeria politicking and that of developed countries. Not do do die!
Heywhizzy:
The question should be why is Obama even smiling.. A candidate you campaigned against won and you're shining teeth cos of paparazzi.. She was more honest with her facial expressions
Re: Michelle Obama Reveals Why She Stopped Smiling At Trump’s Inauguration by afamaustin(m): 3:20pm On Nov 13, 2018
I just watched about that pastor that had sex with princes in Xvidios,is terrible that pastor can act blue firm.

1 Like

Re: Michelle Obama Reveals Why She Stopped Smiling At Trump’s Inauguration by AngelicBeing: 3:21pm On Nov 13, 2018
Carriton54:
tomorrow's winning ticket is available for pay after winning
chat up if interested
070-83-79-63-85
100%winning
l want to stake 90 billion dollars shocked
Re: Michelle Obama Reveals Why She Stopped Smiling At Trump’s Inauguration by VULCAN(m): 3:22pm On Nov 13, 2018
So even you that murdered your Girlfriend is supporting Buhari?

I'm not surprised though. Buhari and bloodshed are like 5 and 6!!

mimimile93:

Trump is a gay and a fruadster.

Sai baba we are behind u

1 Like

Re: Michelle Obama Reveals Why She Stopped Smiling At Trump’s Inauguration by hidee20(m): 3:28pm On Nov 13, 2018
Heywhizzy:
The question should be why is Obama even smiling.. A candidate you campaigned against won and you're shining teeth cos of paparazzi.. She was more honest with her facial expressions

Cause in his country being the incumbent does not assign you a million votes,he knows the masses have the power and they had decided so he has to live with the people's choice also politics is not a do or die affair over there.
Re: Michelle Obama Reveals Why She Stopped Smiling At Trump’s Inauguration by mimimile93: 3:30pm On Nov 13, 2018
[s]
VULCAN:
So even you that murdered your Girlfriend is supporting Buhari?

I'm not surprised though. Buhari and bloodshed are like 5 and 6!!

[/s]

u who gave Ada 5k to abort a child and me who killed a girl are we in any way different?

Bloddy hypocrite.

Sai baba till 2023.
Re: Michelle Obama Reveals Why She Stopped Smiling At Trump’s Inauguration by YorubaAssasin: 3:34pm On Nov 13, 2018
BabaCommander:
You're a sore loser. Case closed.

Ipob loser spotted.
Re: Michelle Obama Reveals Why She Stopped Smiling At Trump’s Inauguration by NLandIsHypocrit: 3:34pm On Nov 13, 2018
Heywhizzy:
Both you and the person who gave you one Like are so childish in reasoning. So you actually wanted Obama to stoop so low to the grade of your sense by showing the entire world his unhappy feelings because his candidate did not win?

Oya stand up from there.....

Re: Michelle Obama Reveals Why She Stopped Smiling At Trump’s Inauguration by Heywhizzy(m): 3:36pm On Nov 13, 2018
akinboyo:
That tells you the difference between Nigeria politicking and that of developed countries. Not do do die!
Let's not use all opportunity for comparison.. Nigerian politicians are also known for smiling with their oppositions anytime they meet in public.. Jonathan smiled with OBJ even after the letter, he was all smiles handing over to Buhari.. Ambode was smiling with Tinubu after he was done dirty

Obama has slammed Trump on many occasions despite the smile

I know our politicking can't be compared to theirs but bringing it up in that instance was non sequitur
Re: Michelle Obama Reveals Why She Stopped Smiling At Trump’s Inauguration by xtervaganza(m): 3:44pm On Nov 13, 2018
Who cares? You're just an idiot married to a conman

1 Like

Re: Michelle Obama Reveals Why She Stopped Smiling At Trump’s Inauguration by Heywhizzy(m): 3:48pm On Nov 13, 2018
NLandIsHypocrit:
Both you and the person who gave you one Like are so childish in reasoning. So you actually wanted Obama to stoop so low to the grade of your sense by showing the entire world his unhappy feelings because his candidate did not win?

Oya stand up from there.....
You're a mumu honestly, did I say he was wrong for smiling for the cameras.. if not that people like you in the world over are hypocritical and wanting to make a meal out of everything, it would be normal to understand why she wasn't smiling as opposed to why her husband was acting all happy and all

To prove your foolishness and your frustration, you insinuated showing your true emotions means stooping so low, get a life Ogbeni
Re: Michelle Obama Reveals Why She Stopped Smiling At Trump’s Inauguration by DanDeeBoss(m): 3:49pm On Nov 13, 2018
Eyyaa e pain am

Re: Michelle Obama Reveals Why She Stopped Smiling At Trump’s Inauguration by michoim(m): 3:53pm On Nov 13, 2018
How does that concerns us....?
Re: Michelle Obama Reveals Why She Stopped Smiling At Trump’s Inauguration by NLandIsHypocrit: 3:54pm On Nov 13, 2018
Heywhizzy:
You're a mumu honestly, did I say he was wrong for smiling for the cameras.. if not that people like you in the world over are hypocritical and wanting to make a meal out of everything, it would be normal to understand why she wasn't smiling as opposed to why her husband was acting all happy and all

To prove your foolishness and your frustration, you insinuated showing your true emotions means stooping so low, get a life Ogbeni
lipsrsealed

Re: Michelle Obama Reveals Why She Stopped Smiling At Trump’s Inauguration by welcomejoin: 4:11pm On Nov 13, 2018
she be Hilary sister

Say Goodbye To Stress
Hello To Home Cooked Meal

Freshly Prepared
Neatly Packaged
Hygienically Prepared
Home-cooked Meal!
Delivered To Your Doorstep!

0 7 0 6 4 4 8 2 8 9 1

Re: Michelle Obama Reveals Why She Stopped Smiling At Trump’s Inauguration by Nobody: 4:20pm On Nov 13, 2018
This same woman said in the same book that she was suspicious of Barack when they started dating because too many white people liked him. What type of racist talk is that? This woman is hateful and a closet racist (and I have my suspicions she is not a woman at all). That's why she finds it hard to smile period.

1 Like

Re: Michelle Obama Reveals Why She Stopped Smiling At Trump’s Inauguration by R0ckefeller: 4:32pm On Nov 13, 2018
she just balance equation with trump wife now so no p
Re: Michelle Obama Reveals Why She Stopped Smiling At Trump’s Inauguration by nextstep(m): 4:44pm On Nov 13, 2018
banquetking:
Love him or hate him. Donald trump is one of the best things to have happened to America's economy.

Far better than what Obama had to offer

So you're ignoring the strong economic growth from 2009 (after Obama inherited the recession of late 2008), to 2017. It appears you're also ignoring the effects of Trump's unneeded tax cuts that will overheat the economy and markets, precipitating the inevitable recession of 2019/2020, while adding trillions more to the Deficit, and cutting social benefits. There's also the destabilizing effects of unnecessary trade wars that will accelerate China's ascendancy?

Like economist Austan Goolsbee quipped in an interview to MSNBC: "I don't see how you come into the game with 10 minutes left in the fourth quarter, your team is already ahead, and you're like, 'I won this game.' "

2 Likes

Re: Michelle Obama Reveals Why She Stopped Smiling At Trump’s Inauguration by wink2015(m): 5:29pm On Nov 13, 2018
EVERYTHING IS NEWS IN AMERICA!

Americans want the outside world to live their lives for them.
Re: Michelle Obama Reveals Why She Stopped Smiling At Trump’s Inauguration by OlaPhils(m): 5:43pm On Nov 13, 2018
Who cares if she smiles or not, her husband's tenure has expired, and she must make way for another person's wife to enjoy as much.

1 Like

Re: Michelle Obama Reveals Why She Stopped Smiling At Trump’s Inauguration by 12345baba(m): 5:50pm On Nov 13, 2018
Who cares? Trump we know

1 Like

Re: Michelle Obama Reveals Why She Stopped Smiling At Trump’s Inauguration by Nobody: 6:14pm On Nov 13, 2018
Timetravel88:
The Obamas are sore loosers, America has moved on without them and it hurts them profoundly to know they are not part of the giant strides gaining momentum presently under the TRUMP administration.
A man openly declares himself a nationalist, frequently uses rhetoric that incites racism , and openly declares to the world that he thinks all blacks are stupid and you are praising him? My friend emancipate yourself from mental slavery!!!!!
Re: Michelle Obama Reveals Why She Stopped Smiling At Trump’s Inauguration by Gkemz: 6:21pm On Nov 13, 2018
She should concentrate more on raising her wayward daughter instead of championing and promoting LGBT's interest.
Re: Michelle Obama Reveals Why She Stopped Smiling At Trump’s Inauguration by TheStarsAlign: 6:58pm On Nov 13, 2018
Heywhizzy:

Its called emotional intelligence, you do what you have to do
Re: Michelle Obama Reveals Why She Stopped Smiling At Trump’s Inauguration by akiOYIBO: 7:06pm On Nov 13, 2018
saintsista:

A man openly declares himself a nationalist, frequently uses rhetoric that incites racism , and openly declares to the world that he thinks all blacks are stupid and you are praising him? My friend emancipate yourself from mental slavery!!!!!
Are Blacks not stupid?

1 Like

Re: Michelle Obama Reveals Why She Stopped Smiling At Trump’s Inauguration by icogb: 7:56pm On Nov 13, 2018
bettercreature:
He is doing the right thing especially the trade war
Only his immigration policy isn't the best
He has no option. Americans re suffering. Na person wey have dey give. You CANN'T pour from an empty cup.
Re: Michelle Obama Reveals Why She Stopped Smiling At Trump’s Inauguration by ike007(m): 8:32pm On Nov 13, 2018
Even Malania isn't laughing
Re: Michelle Obama Reveals Why She Stopped Smiling At Trump’s Inauguration by EternalTruth: 9:10pm On Nov 13, 2018
bettercreature:
He is doing the right thing especially the trade war
Only his immigration policy isn't the best
you must be a Muslim

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Zimbabwe Crises Is Like A Military Coup - AU / Russian Soldiers Suffer Acute Radiation Sickness In Ukraine / ECO: West Africa Renames CFA Franc But Keeps It Pegged To Euro

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.