Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,161 members, 7,860,151 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 06:54 AM

Nigerians Need To Be Worried Of Atiku Plan To Sell Nigeria Biggest Assets - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Need To Be Worried Of Atiku Plan To Sell Nigeria Biggest Assets (1158 Views)

Hardship: 'Borrow Atiku's Plan' - Deji Adeyanju Begs Tinubu / Full Text Of Atiku's Plan For Nigeria / Shehui Sanni Reacts To Atiku's Plan To Sell 90% Of NNPC If Elected (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Need To Be Worried Of Atiku Plan To Sell Nigeria Biggest Assets by Gboy101: 6:32pm On Nov 18, 2018
Nigerians need to be worried about atiku plan to sell Nigeria biggest assets. sentiments aparts I'm one of them that is supporting atiku but his recent remarks to sell of critical National assets and Nigeria biggest assets, the NNPC called for concerned. everyone should be worried is that why atiku have been fighting to become Nigeria president at all cost?

we need to watch out why atiku is not talking about restructuring anymore. because we are seeing that he want to build rail and more roads. by this statement there won't be any different from atiku presidency. the same old northerners and former head of states will buy up these assets.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Need To Be Worried Of Atiku Plan To Sell Nigeria Biggest Assets by somito121(m): 6:35pm On Nov 18, 2018
NASS WOULD DEFINITELY REJECT SUCH PROPOSAL.
Re: Nigerians Need To Be Worried Of Atiku Plan To Sell Nigeria Biggest Assets by emi14: 6:50pm On Nov 18, 2018
What have Nigeria and Nigerians gained from that assets? Let him sell it and grow our GPD Staffs of NNPC are just enriching themselves pretending working for the nation

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Need To Be Worried Of Atiku Plan To Sell Nigeria Biggest Assets by Nobody: 6:54pm On Nov 18, 2018
Of What use is an asset when it's full of looters and thieves? Till date, billions of naira realised from crude sale in 5 years is yet to be remitted into the federal government purse. Who's fooling who? This country is full of myopic minds who can't see beyond their nostrils. There's a difference between privatisation and selling. The national orientation agency has a lot of work to do in educating illiterate Nigerians what privatisation and selling actually mean.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Need To Be Worried Of Atiku Plan To Sell Nigeria Biggest Assets by richidinho(m): 7:02pm On Nov 18, 2018
Any govt that can be able to privatize that corrupt industry mean well for the nation

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Need To Be Worried Of Atiku Plan To Sell Nigeria Biggest Assets by richidinho(m): 7:10pm On Nov 18, 2018
awelekiti:
Of What use is an asset when it's full of looters and thieves? Till date, billions of naira realised from crude sale in 5 years is yet to be remitted into the federal government purse. Who's fooling who? This country is full of myopic minds who can't see beyond their nostrils. There's a difference between privatisation and selling. The national orientation agency has a lot of work to do in educating illiterate Nigerians what privatisation and selling actually mean.

My brother the fault is from the press, Atiku should be mindfull of the media house he is granted interviews, what he said was privatize NNPC meaning the corporation will be managed by businessmen but pay some certain perentage to the govt

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Need To Be Worried Of Atiku Plan To Sell Nigeria Biggest Assets by trillville(m): 7:23pm On Nov 18, 2018
Gboy101:
Nigerians need to be worried of atiku plan to sell Nigeria biggest assets. sentiments aparts I'm one of them that is supporting atiku but his recent remarks to sell of critical National assets and Nigeria biggest assets. the NNPC called for concerned. everyone should be worried is this why atiku have been fighting to become Nigeria president at all cost?

we need to watch out why atiku want is not talking about restructuring anymore. because we are seeing that his want to build rail and more roads. by this statement there won't be any different from atiku presidency. the same old northerners and former head of states will buy up these assets.

I do not like Atiku as a person but his knowledge of economics and what is hampering Nigeria's development is on point. In fact of all the candidates including Ezekwesili and Sowore, Atiku is making the most economic sense.

Let me try to explain. Nigeria faces internal problems caused by our culture which focuses on tribalism and cronyism over competences. This stifles all areas of decision making in government instutions as most heads have one interest or the other that does not promote development.

Nigeria also faces external problems caused by our over dependence on crude oil sales which is a very volatile commodity with prices constantly swinging between 80 USD and 40 USD. We have bad leadership and at the same time an unreliable source of government revenue.

These issues have resulted in Nigeria becoming the country with the highest poverty rates and also the country with the highest number of out of school children in the world. That is, we are bleeped now, and we are still bleeped in the future.

From what I have read, Atiku plans to shift governments focus from mineral resources to human resources. This is very interesting because if you look at every region on earth, countries that focus on developing their people's productivity are always richer with higher quality of life than mineral resource rich countries. Even in Europe Sweden and Denmark are considered equal or better countries than Norway. In the middle East, many would argue that Israel is the richest of all the nations. Within the emirates of the UAE, Dubai with only 7 percent of that nations crude oil is considered much richer than the mineral rich ABU Dhabi.

In developed countries, the government provides quality primary and secondary school education for all of its people. It sees education as an externality, an economic good that benefits everyone in the country and not just the person getting the education. Steve Jobs, the founder of Apple, was abandoned by his Syrian father, yet he built a 1 trillion dollar( about 3 times Nigeria's gdp) company. Without quality education, would there have been a Steve Jobs?

I am not saying that oil is not important to Nigeria's future, I am saying that tailors, cobblers, and factory workers are much more important to the growth of Nigeria and the reduction of poverty. This may sound strange to you but realise that it is only in Nigeria that a craftsman is a poor man.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Need To Be Worried Of Atiku Plan To Sell Nigeria Biggest Assets by omohayek: 8:36pm On Nov 18, 2018
trillville:

I do not like Atiku as a person but his knowledge of economics and what is hampering Nigeria's development is on point. In fact of all the candidates including Ezekwesili and Sowore, Atiku is making the most economic sense.

Let me try to explain. Nigeria faces internal problems caused by our culture which focuses on tribalism and cronyism over competences. This stifles all areas of decision making in government instutions as most heads have one interest or the other that does not promote development.

Nigeria also faces external problems caused by our over dependence on crude oil sales which is a very volatile commodity with prices constantly swinging between 80 USD and 40 USD. We have bad leadership and at the same time an unreliable source of government revenue.

These issues have resulted in Nigeria becoming the country with the highest poverty rates and also the country with the highest number of out of school children in the world. That is, we are bleeped now, and we are still bleeped in the future.

From what I have read, Atiku plans to shift governments focus from mineral resources to human resources. This is very interesting because if you look at every region on earth, countries that focus on developing their people's productivity are always richer with higher quality of life than mineral resource rich countries. Even in Europe Sweden and Denmark are considered equal or better countries than Norway. In the middle East, many would argue that Israel is the richest of all the nations. Within the emirates of the UAE, Dubai with only 7 percent of that nations crude oil is considered much richer than the mineral rich ABU Dhabi.

In developed countries, the government provides quality primary and secondary school education for all of its people. It sees education as an externality, an economic good that benefits everyone in the country and not just the person getting the education. Steve Jobs, the founder of Apple, was abandoned by his Syrian father, yet he built a 1 trillion dollar( about 3 times Nigeria's gdp) company. Without quality education, would there have been a Steve Jobs?

I am not saying that oil is not important to Nigeria's future, I am saying that tailors, cobblers, and factory workers are much more important to the growth of Nigeria and the reduction of poverty. This may sound strange to you but realise that it is only in Nigeria that a craftsman is a poor man.
While Atiku says all the right things, the big question I have is whether he can be trusted to do all these things without slyly undermining them for his own benefit. For instance, what is to stop him selling off the privatized assets at a huge discount to shell companies controlled indirectly by him through cronies?

We've already seen how selling assets to under-capitalized local buyers with political connections can lead to disaster - just look at the power sector after GEJ sold it to local favorites who lacked the resources to meet their investment requirements. In addition there's Atiku's own shady track record with Halliburton and assorted schemes to consider. The man could easily follow in Suharto's footsteps by turning the entire country into the personal property of himself, his family and their hangers-on.

Buhari is utterly incompetent, and the economy has no serious hope of recovering while he remains in charge, but competence is of little use when possessed by thieves like Atiku and Saraki, another man whose sterling educational credentials have resulted in zero net benefit to his record of governance. If all it took to govern well were knowing the right things to do, Zimbabwe under Robert Mugabe would have become a paradise instead of turning into the shithole he made it.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Need To Be Worried Of Atiku Plan To Sell Nigeria Biggest Assets by id911(m): 8:50pm On Nov 18, 2018
Gboy101:
Nigerians need to be worried of atiku plan to sell Nigeria biggest assets. sentiments aparts I'm one of them that is supporting atiku but his recent remarks to sell of critical National assets and Nigeria biggest assets. the NNPC called for concerned. everyone should be worried is this why atiku have been fighting to become Nigeria president at all cost?

we need to watch out why atiku want is not talking about restructuring anymore. because we are seeing that his want to build rail and more roads. by this statement there won't be any different from atiku presidency. the same old northerners and former head of states will buy up these assets.

Go get better education my friend and stop talking about what you know nothing about. What Atiku said is what most of us have been expecting to hear from a serious presidential candidate since 1999 but non has said something reasonable until now. Privatization of these so-called national assets will increase our GDP and ultimately allow them run profitably instead of the wastage going on there daily. I think Nigerian press is doing more harm than good to this country

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Need To Be Worried Of Atiku Plan To Sell Nigeria Biggest Assets by LordAdam16: 9:13pm On Nov 18, 2018
omohayek:

While Atiku says all the right things, the big question I have is whether he can be trusted to do all these things without slyly undermining them for his own benefit. For instance, what is to stop him selling off the privatized assets at a huge discount to shell companies controlled indirectly by him through cronies?

We've already seen how selling assets to under-capitalized local buyers with political connections can lead to disaster - just look at the power sector after GEJ sold it to local favorites who lacked the resources to meet their investment requirements. In addition there's Atiku's own shady track record with Halliburton and assorted schemes to consider. The man could easily follow in Suharto's footsteps by turning the entire country into the personal property of himself, his family and their hangers-on.

Buhari is utterly incompetent, and the economy has no serious hope of recovering while he remains in charge, but competence is of little use when possessed by thieves like Atiku and Saraki, another man whose sterling educational credentials have resulted in zero net benefit to his record of governance. If all it took to govern well were knowing the right things to do, Zimbabwe under Robert Mugabe would have become a paradise instead of turning into the shithole he made it.

You guys continue to use the power sector privatization as the archetype of how not to privatize.

The power sector was unbundled to GENCOs, TCN, and DISCOs. The government retains control of TCN. The GENCOs are producing power that can't be taken up. Most of the DISCOs are okay. And only about 20% of the DISCOs are in poor shape. I'd take that as a success.

DISCOs were sold to local buyers because of local content. The entire proceeds from the sale of the generating and distributing components of PHCN was used to pay off the workers and certain debt profiles. The reason why the power sector is in limbo has very little to do with the sale. It was a competent process. We had an asset that had been run down for 50 years and you guys were expecting a magic wand or someone with a trailer load of money to resurrect it for the measly electricity rate we pay.

For crying out loud, check out how many times there's been a total system collapse this year alone. Does that sound like we gave the GENCOs prime assets? The TCN is still within government control and tasked with revamping the national grid. Since 2014, they've been running in circles. What gives you guys the confidence to believe that the DISCOs and GENCOs under civil servants wouldn't have had the same or worse outcome? They had 1960-2013 and added less than 3000MW. 5 years on, it's almost doubled but no let's crucify the private sector.

How is possible to be so dumb and out of touch. That's how the spare parts refineries would be sold, and when the private buyers are unable to get it past 65% efficiency as I expect it to knowing how badly it's been run for decades; people will start complaining. And conveniently forget the billions of dollars from public coffers spent on repairing them for decades.

Personally, I don't want the NNPC, NLNG or any performing asset to be sold. Primarily because the IOCs have burned Nigeria way too many times to entrust more control to them. For example, they drill oil and under-report the amount they drill, then pay us whatever they like. It's better for Nigerian civil servants and politicians to continue their merrymaking than for international companies to come dip their crooked hands.

However, for all the assets that cost us billions annually with nothing to show, they should be sold. Or donated if no one wants to buy.

-Lord

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Need To Be Worried Of Atiku Plan To Sell Nigeria Biggest Assets by Nobody: 9:36pm On Nov 18, 2018
richidinho:

My brother the fault is from the press, Atiku should be mindfull of the media house he is granted interviews, what he said was privatize NNPC meaning the corporation will be managed by businessmen but pay some certain perentage to the govt
QED. That's what privatisation is all about but my people are giving it a totally different meaning.
Re: Nigerians Need To Be Worried Of Atiku Plan To Sell Nigeria Biggest Assets by omohayek: 9:38pm On Nov 18, 2018
LordAdam16:

You guys continue to use the power sector privatization as the archetype of how not to privatize.

The power sector was unbundled to GENCOs, TCN, and DISCOs. The government retains control of TCN. The GENCOs are producing power that can't be taken up. Most of the DISCOs are okay. And only about 20% of the DISCOs are in poor shape. I'd take that as a success.

DISCOs were sold to local buyers because of local content. The entire proceeds from the sale of the generating and distributing components of PHCN was used to pay off the workers and certain debt profiles. The reason why the power sector is in limbo has very little to do with the sale. It was a competent process. We had an asset that had been run down for 50 years and you guys were expecting a magic wand or someone with a trailer load of money to resurrect it for the measly electricity rate we pay.

For crying out loud, check out how many times there's been a total system collapse this year alone. Does that sound like we gave the GENCOs prime assets? The TCN is still within government control and tasked with revamping the national grid. Since 2014, they've been running in circles. What gives you guys the confidence to believe that the DISCOs and GENCOs under civil servants wouldn't have had the same or worse outcome? They had 1960-2013 and added less than 3000MW. 5 years on, it's almost doubled but no let's crucify the private sector.

How is possible to be so dumb and out of touch. That's how the spare parts refineries would be sold, and when the private buyers are unable to get it past 65% efficiency as I expect it to knowing how badly it's been run for decades; people will start complaining. And conveniently forget the billions of dollars from public coffers spent on repairing them for decades.

Personally, I don't want the NNPC, NLNG or any performing asset to be sold. Primarily because the IOCs have burned Nigeria way too many times to entrust more control to them. For example, they drill oil and under-report the amount they drill, then pay us whatever they like. It's better for Nigerian civil servants and politicians to continue their merrymaking than for international companies to come dip their crooked hands.

However, for all the assets that cost us billions annually with nothing to show, they should be sold. Or donated if no one wants to buy.

-Lord
The only one "dumb and out of touch" here is you, with all your excuse-making for a shoddy privatization process. Deeper pocketed investors with extensive backgrounds in power-generation and distribution would have been able to afford to invest for several years without needing to see immediate returns, which would have enabled them - amongst others things - to transition from estimated billing to a system based on proper metering of individual customers. Instead, what we got, thanks to your palm-wine drunkard from Otuoke, is a bunch of small-scale operators who are now on their last legs after just a few years, and who lack the necessary funds to move to a billing system ordinary Nigerians will be willing to tolerate, let alone anything more ambitious.

The last thing Nigeria need is more of the same old nonsense: if public "assets" (which are all liabilities in my book) are to be sold - and I very much believe the whole damn lot should be - it ought to be on the basis of internationally open bidding, under fully transparent rules. What ordinary Nigerians need are well-capitalized corporations that can deliver on their missions at internationally-competitive levels, not the enrichment of a lucky few elite Nigerians who happen to have the right friends and relatives in power.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Need To Be Worried Of Atiku Plan To Sell Nigeria Biggest Assets by Geojio: 9:39pm On Nov 18, 2018
Gboy101:

Re: Nigerians Need To Be Worried Of Atiku Plan To Sell Nigeria Biggest Assets by TrueLEADER: 9:44pm On Nov 18, 2018
Tell us what Nigerians have benefitted from sustenance of NNPC?

Govt involvement in the petroleum industry should be restricted to the Downstream, only, and let market forces drive the midstream and Upstream........

If you sell NNPC today, all the refineries will automatically start working and all the individuals who wanna build refineries would have more confidence.

NNPC is just a cash-cow right now.
Re: Nigerians Need To Be Worried Of Atiku Plan To Sell Nigeria Biggest Assets by Metuh: 10:08pm On Nov 18, 2018
Gboy101:

Of what benefit is the NNPC to Nigerians if not a debt

He should sell it 100%
Re: Nigerians Need To Be Worried Of Atiku Plan To Sell Nigeria Biggest Assets by LordAdam16: 10:13pm On Nov 18, 2018
omohayek:

The only one "dumb and out of touch" here is you, with all your excuse-making for a shoddy privatization process. Deeper pocketed investors with extensive backgrounds in power-generation and distribution would have been able to afford to invest for several years without needing to see immediate returns, which would have enabled them - amongst others things - to transition from estimated billing to a system based on proper metering of individual customers. Instead, what we got, thanks to your palm-wine drunkard from Otuoke, is a bunch of small-scale operators who are now on their last legs after just a few years, and who lack the necessary funds to move to a billing system ordinary Nigerians will be willing to tolerate, let alone anything more ambitious.

The last thing Nigeria need is more of the same old nonsense: if public "assets" (which are all liabilities in my book) are to be sold - and I very much believe the whole damn lot should be - it ought to be on the basis of internationally open bidding, under fully transparent rules. What ordinary Nigerians need are well-capitalized corporations that can deliver on their missions at internationally-competitive levels, not the enrichment of a lucky few elite Nigerians who happen to have the right friends and relatives in power.

You just typed a load of horsesh*t. No company on the planet will spend money indefinitely on sub-prime assets in an absurdly-regulated electricity sector without even so much as a competent electricity grid. The proof is in the pudding, as most of the companies that have committed to build new generating plants from the scratch are indigenous and Chinese companies, not the non-existent famed international coys with supposed deep pockets who wouldn't touch shoddily managed plants with a ten foot pole even if their businesses depended on it.

For example Otedola in conjunction with BSG and Shanghai Municipal Electric Power bought Gereju I. After buying it, they called Siemens to upgrade the plant for $84m. How many Otedola's do we have in Nigeria without political connection? The problem I have with loud mouths like you is that you guys sit on your third-world toilet seat and think you understand what happens in the board rooms.

This is the same Otedola who owns Forte that used to be the government-owned AP. And btw, that same Siemens is one of the world's top 10 largest power companies, yet they only install plants in Nigeria and don't run or plan to run any. You think they're id*ots? Enel the world's second largest power company operates in only two countries in Africa--South Africa and Morocco. Are you going to compare the electricity sector of those two countries to the rubbish that is the defunct PHCN?

You think there is any company out there with a large war chest using mostly hard cash instead of bank credit for investing? No one will buy feces for the price of a diamond no matter how you package it. Eta-Zuma building the Itobe coal plant in Kogi is sourcing for $6b. Does that sound like a big scale operator to you?

The consultant for the project was an international firm. All buyers of generating plants were required to have international technical partners. All DISCOs were required to show proof of line of credit from local banks. Now you're typing trash like the BPP didn't oversee the process or it happened in your bedroom.

Stop typing like a market woman. If I ask you to list the exact problematic, non-performing buyers now, you'd start stammering. Don't reply me again if all you're going to type is drunken nonsense ignoramuses spout in beer parlors. It's not only small-scale operators, go and drag the big-scale operators now. When Latin America, the Middle East, Asia, and North Africa offer so much promise, you think the "big-scale operators" will consider for a second to buy a run-down power plant or vandalized distribution network in a country where regulators are taking 3+ years to formulate policy on independent metering?

Look at this dunce talking about investing for several years without reasonable returns in the crappy Nigerian electricity sector for a business with profit margins of less than 5% in perfectly run systems. It seems you didn't take your meds today.

-Lord

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians Need To Be Worried Of Atiku Plan To Sell Nigeria Biggest Assets by Roger3D(m): 4:46am On Nov 19, 2018
awelekiti:
Privatization means selling to private investors.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Need To Be Worried Of Atiku Plan To Sell Nigeria Biggest Assets by Nobody: 6:15am On Nov 19, 2018
Roger3D:
Privatization means selling to private investors.
No please.you don't have any control over what you sold anymore .in the case of privatisation, government issued licences which can be revoked. There are no go areas. Government could get their property back if rules are broken. Privatisation is a transfer of service from the public hands to the privste ones for effective and proprr management, which isnt synonymous to selling. There are terms and conditions. They still regulate the affairs of licencee so, that's what make the difference
Re: Nigerians Need To Be Worried Of Atiku Plan To Sell Nigeria Biggest Assets by trillville(m): 11:40am On Nov 19, 2018
omohayek:

I get your point. You're right in many ways. The problem is a complex one with no perfect solution. I wish Nigerians would support Mughalu's candidacy, but our people do not understand how the world works.

I heard on TV the other day that Nigeria wants to build a helicopter. West Africa produces 70 percent of the world's cocoa. The value of the unrefined cocoa industry is 2.1 billion dollars, whereas the chocolate industry is valued at 130 billion dollars. This year, one of this government's achievement is in cutting our rice import bill of 1.9 billion, which in reality may not be true because a lot of rice is smuggled into the country.

Imagine if Buhari had focused on refining cocoa from its base level to an intermediate level. Our mechanical engineers would be focused on building machinery to process cocoa rather than building a helicopter. Nigerians across the whole country would have been planting cocoa trees to feed to the processing plants. Processing cocoa may even be as profitable as selling crude oil but all Nigeria is focused on is in selling primary mineral resources. Why are we trying to build a helicopter? Why? Who could have come up with such an idea?

Imagine if we processed our cashew nuts too. There is a lot of opportunity in this country but we unfortunately have dull and bad leaders.

If you can suggest who I should vote for with good reasons, I will certainly vote for the person.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Need To Be Worried Of Atiku Plan To Sell Nigeria Biggest Assets by grandstar(m): 7:36pm On Nov 20, 2018
omohayek:

Though I believe Atiku's interest in the country is genuine, the worry about sleaze should not be ruled out as you said.

I do worry about Suharto like corruption. If privatization is left fully in the hands of the vice president as that under his office, things should turn out well. An independent team made up of well disciplined and seasoned technocrats such as Utomi or Bismark can be formed to overlook the process.

I also sense that if corruption gets out of hand, his government won't last more than 6 years( He would be booted out in his second term or even before then)

I suspect he might get greedy in his second term and the tide will turn against him.
Re: Nigerians Need To Be Worried Of Atiku Plan To Sell Nigeria Biggest Assets by grandstar(m): 7:51pm On Nov 20, 2018
LordAdam16:

You just typed a load of horsesh*t. No company on the planet will spend money indefinitely on sub-prime assets in an absurdly-regulated electricity sector without even so much as a competent electricity grid. The proof is in the pudding, as most of the companies that have committed to build new generating plants from the scratch are indigenous and Chinese companies, not the non-existent famed international coys with supposed deep pockets who wouldn't touch shoddily managed plants with a ten foot pole even if their businesses depended on it.

For example Otedola in conjunction with BSG and Shanghai Municipal Electric Power bought Gereju I. After buying it, they called Siemens to upgrade the plant for $84m. How many Otedola's do we have in Nigeria without political connection? The problem I have with loud mouths like you is that you guys sit on your third-world toilet seat and think you understand what happens in the board rooms.

This is the same Otedola who owns Forte that used to be the government-owned AP. And btw, that same Siemens is one of the world's top 10 largest power companies, yet they only install plants in Nigeria and don't run or plan to run any. You think they're id*ots? Enel the world's second largest power company operates in only two countries in Africa--South Africa and Morocco. Are you going to compare the electricity sector of those two countries to the rubbish that is the defunct PHCN?

You think there is any company out there with a large war chest using mostly hard cash instead of bank credit for investing? No one will buy feces for the price of a diamond no matter how you package it. Eta-Zuma building the Itobe coal plant in Kogi is sourcing for $6b. Does that sound like a big scale operator to you?

The consultant for the project was an international firm. All buyers of generating plants were required to have international technical partners. All DISCOs were required to show proof of line of credit from local banks. Now you're typing trash like the BPP didn't oversee the process or it happened in your bedroom.

Stop typing like a market woman. If I ask you to list the exact problematic, non-performing buyers now, you'd start stammering. Don't reply me again if all you're going to type is drunken nonsense ignoramuses spout in beer parlors. It's not only small-scale operators, go and drag the big-scale operators now. When Latin America, the Middle East, Asia, and North Africa offer so much promise, you think the "big-scale operators" will consider for a second to buy a run-down power plant or vandalized distribution network in a country where regulators are taking 3+ years to formulate policy on independent metering?

Look at this dunce talking about investing for several years without reasonable returns in the crappy Nigerian electricity sector for a business with profit margins of less than 5% in perfectly run systems. It seems you didn't take your meds today.

-Lord

I doubt it is the quality of assets that were up for sale that scared them off. If the privatization was truly transparent, at least a few would have been taken up by foreign companies considering their markets are not only stagnant but facing competition from subsidized green energy operators. A few would have picked up a few units even overpaying for them considering the massive unmet power needs of the country.

At least Manitoba power company from Canada was concessioned the transmission arm but some underhand matters seemed to have frustrated them.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Need To Be Worried Of Atiku Plan To Sell Nigeria Biggest Assets by googlepikins: 8:02pm On Nov 20, 2018
Gboy101:
Nigerians need to be worried about atiku plan to sell Nigeria biggest assets. sentiments aparts I'm one of them that is supporting atiku but his recent remarks to sell of critical National assets and Nigeria biggest assets, the NNPC called for concerned. everyone should be worried is that why atiku have been fighting to become Nigeria president at all cost?

we need to watch out why atiku is not talking about restructuring anymore. because we are seeing that he want to build rail and more roads. by this statement there won't be any different from atiku presidency. the same old northerners and former head of states will buy up these assets.

NO, we're more worried about Buhari and Baru his brother stealing billions of dollars every month for themselves.

Buhari should leave our oil alone. Face your groundnut and cocoa
Re: Nigerians Need To Be Worried Of Atiku Plan To Sell Nigeria Biggest Assets by LordAdam16: 9:32pm On Nov 20, 2018
grandstar:

I doubt it is the quality of assets that were up for sale that scared them off. If the privatization was truly transparent, at least a few would have been taken up by foreign companies considering their markets are not only stagnant but facing competition from subsidized green energy operators. A few would have picked up a few units even overpaying for them considering the massive unmet power needs of the country.

At least Manitoba power company from Canada was concessioned the transmission arm but some underhand matters seemed to have frustrated them.

Don't doubt. Give facts! How many foreign so-called "big operators" made bids? How many competent Nigerian investors lack political connection?

You don't talk about selling assets that've been run aground for 50 years, where civil servants left containers for 10+ years at the ports, and you think any of the big names will come. The transmission arm was not meant to be concessioned. It was meant to stay within government control.

Interestingly, the FG-controlled TCN pretty much continued from where the old PHCN stopped. And it's only the private buyers you guys like to make scapegoats.

Oh, and if their markets are "stagnant" as you say, a crazy statement to make as the cost of electricity in most Western countries has been rising non-stop for years now (UK power companies are breaking operating profit records left and right), there are far more credible places to go to. Latin America, the Middle East, South East Asia, even North Africa.

It's like the telecom sector where everyone likes to rain on MTN's parade. Yet current Airtel changed hands more than 3 times, and the Verizons, T-Mobile, 3's, O2, and Vodafone (Vodacom came and disappeared into the night) did not even consider bidding. Same with Etisalat. A country without a decent electricity grid, where million dollar wires at base stations can be stolen with impunity, where electricity theft is not priced into the retail cost. And you're looking for big names. The level of delusion most Nigerians have is toxic.

You guys would be talking about government assets like they're ARAMCO or the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China. Nigeria has mostly sh*t national assets that only serve as corrupt conduits for the political class and bountiful employment opportunities for friends and family of the elite. Since 1960, we've had secret employment scams for all our national institutions and assets, if PHCN was still under government control; all these CBN, DSS, FIRS writing of names would have continued unabated. And we'd be paying them bogus amounts of money to sit under AC and continue running down the asset in the name of keeping it under government control.

Go and inquire how many new engineers the GENCOs and DISCOs have employed since 2013 and compare it with the figures under NEPA/PHCN for the previous 25 years. Nigerians dey vex me aswear, and na the so-called educated ones dey pain me pass...

-Lord

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Need To Be Worried Of Atiku Plan To Sell Nigeria Biggest Assets by Kobicove(m): 7:58am On Nov 22, 2018
trillville:

I guarantee you Atiku will abandon the original plan once he wins, that's if he wins.

He still cannot be trusted!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Need To Be Worried Of Atiku Plan To Sell Nigeria Biggest Assets by Ganduri: 8:30am On Nov 22, 2018
Kobicove:

I guarantee you Atiku will abandon the original plan once he wins, that's if he wins.

Still cannot be trusted!

Very funny to see one comfortable with the disgrace of a President who thinks there is still a countryvnamed western Germany with our economy to one who he admits have spoken of solutions we all have been waiting to hear.
Well we dknt care wether you trust Atiku or not, We will vote for him
Re: Nigerians Need To Be Worried Of Atiku Plan To Sell Nigeria Biggest Assets by AroleOduduwa(m): 8:34am On Nov 22, 2018
We should be more worried about the loans Buhari is taking from the Chinese, if the FG keep borrowing, sooner or later, our creditors will take over the likes of NNPC

(1) (Reply)

Today In Nigeria Political History (15/January/1966) / Checkout APC Propaganda In The North On Baro River Port / SAN Quizzed Over $30,000 In CJN Onnoghen’s Account

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 162
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.