Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,477 members, 7,836,886 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:02 PM

Custom Clearing Agent Cheated Me? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Custom Clearing Agent Cheated Me? (978 Views)

Licensed Custom Clearing Agent / Did I Get Cheated Or Did I Do Ok. So Here Are The Services I Did To My Car / Tin-can Clearing Agent/ Cotonue Car Dealer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Custom Clearing Agent Cheated Me? by halima83: 7:08am On Nov 19, 2018
I bought a car from one of the auction sites in US and the car being an accident car was shipped in a container and the shipper assigned the container to it's clearing agent in Nigeria.

The agent collected 1.5 million from me to clear the car. The car is 2013 Camry. From the customs document he gave me, I can deduced he paid only 650k as duty. He couldn't explain the where about of the balance, though I know there might be other port charges he paid.

My question now is how do I recover my money from him.

Can I report him to customs?
Re: Custom Clearing Agent Cheated Me? by CarGuidNG: 7:16am On Nov 19, 2018
Re: Custom Clearing Agent Cheated Me? by saintjoel(m): 7:36am On Nov 19, 2018
halima83:
I bought a car from one of the auction sites in US and the car being an accident car was shipped in a container and the shipper assigned the container to it's clearing agent in Nigeria.

The agent collected 1.5 million from me to clear the car. The car is 2013 Camry. From the customs document he gave me, I can deduced he paid only 650k as duty. He couldn't explain the where about of the balance, though I know there might be other port charges he paid.

Madam, as long as it wasn't smuggled, customs won't do zilch to anyone.... Also, are you sure your shipper didn't collect any commission from the agent.....And clearing vehicle shipped in containers are more expensive than shipping as RORO.... offloading and trucking in and out of the port alone is almost N120k plus .......

My advice is that you continue using the car that way or you raise a D.N on it....
Re: Custom Clearing Agent Cheated Me? by halima83: 7:51am On Nov 19, 2018
saintjoel:

Madam, as long as it wasn't smuggled, customs won't do zilch to anyone.... Also, are you sure your shipper didn't collect any commission from the agent.....And clearing vehicle shipped in containers are more expensive than shipping as RORO.... offloading and trucking in and out of the port alone is almost N120k plus .......

My advice is that you continue using the car that way or you raise a D.N on it....
what is D.N sir?
Re: Custom Clearing Agent Cheated Me? by computerglobal(m): 8:08am On Nov 19, 2018
halima83:

I don't know where to start from.

Will check the vehicle $ evaluation for that car and calculate it.Lets assume you saw 650k,you don't expect the clearing agent to take exactly the amount paid on duty from you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Custom Clearing Agent Cheated Me? by sultaan(m): 8:22am On Nov 19, 2018
N1.3m on a 6 years old salvage.

Some people still wonder why Nigerians use Cotonou ports whereas they are staying away from the real crooks

its almost December now and the ports will be dry, unlike a couple of years ago when it was congested with about 100 ships waiting to offload now there are 100s of trucks in Lagos waiting for the non existing cargo
Re: Custom Clearing Agent Cheated Me? by saintjoel(m): 9:50am On Nov 19, 2018
halima83:
what is D.N sir?

It means a raise in valuation.... Layman terms...

(1) (Reply)

FRSC Take Delivery Of 177 Cars From Innoson Motors / Ondo Auto Rally: 2019 Edition Set To Hold On 8th And 9th Of November / I Need Help With Drivers License Issuance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.