Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,146 members, 7,835,835 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:52 PM

N. Assembly Approves N 17 Billion For Independence! Our Screams Not Loud Enough? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N. Assembly Approves N 17 Billion For Independence! Our Screams Not Loud Enough? (852 Views)

Rivers Assembly Approves Wike’s N10bn Loan Request / Rivers Assembly Approves Another 20billion Naira Loan For Wike / National Assembly Approves Life Pension For President, Vice In New Constitution (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

N. Assembly Approves N 17 Billion For Independence! Our Screams Not Loud Enough? by buffox: 2:20am On Jul 26, 2010
[size=13pt]Lawmakers approve N17b for independence anniversary [/size]

In a bizarre move, the National Assembly which previously criticised the budget for the celebration of Nigeria's 50th independence anniversary, calling it excessive, has turned round to approve a figure that is N7 billion more than the Presidency had requested.

The President had initially asked for N16.4 billion for the anniversary but later reviewed it downwards to N9.48 billion following severe criticisms from the public, civil society groups and even the lawmakers.

When the request for N16.4billion was turned down on July 7 and returned to the Presidency, President Goodluck Jonathan scaled down the request to N9.48 billion in a revised supplementary budget. However, the lawmakers have now approved N17.195 billion, an excess of about N7.715 billion for the anniversary.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/5598727-146/story.csp
Re: N. Assembly Approves N 17 Billion For Independence! Our Screams Not Loud Enough? by googles: 2:31am On Jul 26, 2010
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

WTF!?! 17billion for wat?

are they giving out bags of rice and garri to all the citizens ? abi wat nasty independence are they celebrating with that kinda money?

all these politicians should be literally stripped out of their offices angry angry angry angry angry
Re: N. Assembly Approves N 17 Billion For Independence! Our Screams Not Loud Enough? by Nobody: 2:34am On Jul 26, 2010
I thought it was N10b?

They actually raised it? ROTFLMAO!!!

You ppl are not Face-Booking enough!
Re: N. Assembly Approves N 17 Billion For Independence! Our Screams Not Loud Enough? by Nobody: 2:36am On Jul 26, 2010
They don't care about what you have to say.

You just need to go out and vote and make sure your votes count.

Thats the only way you can be taken seriously.
Re: N. Assembly Approves N 17 Billion For Independence! Our Screams Not Loud Enough? by Nobody: 2:43am On Jul 26, 2010
angry angry angrythey are raising money for election,so i'm not surprised. grin grin grin
Re: N. Assembly Approves N 17 Billion For Independence! Our Screams Not Loud Enough? by THEAMAKA(f): 3:00am On Jul 26, 2010
LET'S PRAY THIS IS A VERY BIG TYPO AND MISUNDERSTANDING!!!
this sounds soooooooooo ridiculous and unreal.
how embarrassing.
lipsrsealed embarassed
Re: N. Assembly Approves N 17 Billion For Independence! Our Screams Not Loud Enough? by princekevo(m): 8:21am On Jul 26, 2010
The President had initially asked for N16.4 billion for the anniversary but later reviewed it downwards to N9.48 billion following severe criticisms from the public, civil society groups and even the lawmakers.

When the request for N16.4billion was turned down on July 7 and returned to the Presidency, President Goodluck Jonathan scaled down the request to N9.48 billion in a revised supplementary budget. However, the lawmakers have now approved N17.195 billion, an excess of about N7.715 billion for the anniversary.

PDP is really a big joke including the man GEJ. Am saying it again any youth that cast his/her vote come 2011 to PDP jst sold out the future of his/her children. It is time we say No to PDP, it is time we massively vote them out of power, it is time we say no to gambling away our money.
Re: N. Assembly Approves N 17 Billion For Independence! Our Screams Not Loud Enough? by na2day(m): 8:50am On Jul 26, 2010
WHEN ARE U PEOPLE GOING TO REALISE THAT OUR LEADERS DONT CARE WHETHER WE SHOUT, CRY OR SCREAM!
The only thing they fear is violent death and since they know that nigerians are not ready to physically hold them by the jugular, they'll continue to rub our faces in it.
What they have just done is tantamount to giving us the finger!
. . . and anybody that believes that 2011 will change things is a chronic optimist.
as for me, i will vote sha and God help any goonda tryin to hijack my vote!
Re: N. Assembly Approves N 17 Billion For Independence! Our Screams Not Loud Enough? by philip0906(m): 9:17am On Jul 26, 2010
na2day!:

WHEN ARE U PEOPLE GOING TO REALISE THAT OUR LEADERS DONT CARE WHETHER WE SHOUT, CRY OR SCREAM!
The only thing they fear is violent death and since they know that nigerians are not ready to physically hold them by the jugular, they'll continue to rub our faces in it.
. . . and anybody that believes that 2011 will change things is a chronic optimist.
My guy,I just believe we r d cause of our own problems.Despite everything going on in this country,some people just can't understand that dis country needs radical change(just like my signature says).I was on another thread where people were saying dat d president should have channelled d money into providing kidney centres around d country and some people were just rambling about posting it on his facebook page,writing editorials and God knows.4 how long will we continue 2 deceive our selves in this country?2011 is by d corner,and some people think those heartless politicians will change overnight 2 give us a free and fair election?some people still believe in that Visionless 2020. . .i weep 4 my country.Even d politicians know we r political "fools" dat accept whatever poo they give us.dats y people like Ibb,buhari(people dat ruled b4 some of us were born) still have d guts 2 want 2 contest 4 president.4 how long have they promised us light and yet nothing?how long have they promised us good roads and yet nothing?all we read in d papers is how they fight in d house of rep,squander billions and yet we keep silent,and expect things 2 get better 4 us on a platter of gold. . . .MAY GOD SAVE US embarassed embarassed
Re: N. Assembly Approves N 17 Billion For Independence! Our Screams Not Loud Enough? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Jul 26, 2010
philip0906:

My guy,I just believe we r d cause of our own problems.Despite everything going on in this country,some people just can't understand that dis country needs radical change[b](just like my signature says).[/b]I was on another thread where people were saying dat d president should have channelled d money into providing kidney centres around d country and some people were just rambling about posting it on his facebook page,writing editorials and God knows.4 how long will we continue 2 deceive our selves in this country?2011 is by d corner,and some people think those heartless politicians will change overnight 2 give us a free and fair election?some people still believe in that Visionless 2020. . .i weep 4 my country.Even d politicians know we r political "fools" dat accept whatever poo they give us.dats y people like Ibb,buhari(people dat ruled b4 some of us were born) still have d guts 2 want 2 contest 4 president.4 how long have they promised us light and yet nothing?how long have they promised us good roads and yet nothing?all we read in d papers is how they fight in d house of rep,squander billions and yet we keep silent,and expect things 2 get better 4 us on a platter of gold. . . .MAY GOD SAVE US embarassed embarassed

You're behind your screen, prolly thousands of miles away from Nigeria. . . and you're talking about blood spill?
Are you ready to spill your own blood?

na2day!:

[b]WHEN ARE U PEOPLE GOING TO REALISE THAT OUR LEADERS DONT CARE WHETHER WE SHOUT, CRY OR SCREAM!
[/b]The only thing they fear is violent death and since they know that nigerians are not ready to physically hold them by the jugular, they'll continue to rub our faces in it.

true that @ the bolded
Re: N. Assembly Approves N 17 Billion For Independence! Our Screams Not Loud Enough? by Gekko(m): 4:57pm On Jul 26, 2010
this is a dirty slap to the face of Nigerians, but what can one do? lyk some folks said,  we can huff n puff till we die and it aint gonna change ish.  GET OUT  & VOTE en masse 2011
Re: N. Assembly Approves N 17 Billion For Independence! Our Screams Not Loud Enough? by philip0906(m): 5:03pm On Jul 26, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

You're behind your screen, prolly thousands of miles away from Nigeria. . . and you're talking about blood spill?
Are you ready to spill your own blood?

true that @ the bolded

now someone is talking grin grin. . .c I can't do it alone.We need 2 pull our resources 2gether 2 achieve this. . .In my own little corner,I am spreading d news dat it won't come on a platter of gold and whenever we r ready,we'll all do it.I was given an assignment in my dept recently"NIGERIA:THE WAY FORWARD". . .i relayed my sort of "hardline" stance 2 my prof and defended it.I am also trying 2 open a website 2 sensitize people.Mind u,in my uni(here in nigeria),everyone knows me and knows my stance,I don't hide it and just waiting and looking around 4 people  who believe in this "school of thought".It seems like every body is scared,resigned 2 fate and so on,but I won't relent. . .PLS SPREAD D NEWS.CHANGE WON'T COME ON A PLATTER OF GOLD,BLOOD HAS 2 BE SPILLED B4 WE ALL CAN DREAM OF CHANGE wink
Re: N. Assembly Approves N 17 Billion For Independence! Our Screams Not Loud Enough? by Nobody: 5:09pm On Jul 26, 2010
philip0906:

now someone is talking grin grin. . .c I can't do it alone.We need 2 pull our resources 2gether 2 achieve this. . .In my own little corner,I am spreading d news dat it won't come on a platter of gold and whenever we r ready,we'll all do it.I was given an assignment in my dept recently"NIGERIA:THE WAY FORWARD". . .i relayed my sort of "hardline" stance 2 my prof and defended it.I am also trying 2 open a website 2 sensitize people.Mind u,in my uni(here in nigeria),everyone knows me and knows my stance,I don't hide it and just waiting and looking around 4 people  who believe in this "school of thought".It seems like every body is scared,resigned 2 fate and so on,but I won't relent. . .PLS SPREAD D NEWS.CHANGE WON'T COME ON A PLATTER OF GOLD,BLOOD HAS 2 BE SPILLED B4 WE ALL CAN DREAM OF CHANGE wink

Wel, nice moves . . . I guess.

But do you think ppl willfollow you when they realize that you're tribalistic? Yoruba ppl do not want to die, but if we have to we will. But we wont die behind a devious leader as yourself tongue
Re: N. Assembly Approves N 17 Billion For Independence! Our Screams Not Loud Enough? by philip0906(m): 5:16pm On Jul 26, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Wel, nice moves . . . I guess.

But do you think ppl willfollow you when they realize that you're tribalistic? Yoruba ppl do not want to die, but if we have to we will. But we wont die behind a devious leader as yourself tongue
OMG!!!!u killed me there grin grin I'm not tribalistic on a serious note. . .just dat when I'm here,I just tend 2 take advantage of d situation. . .I'm a detribalised(hope i got d spelling grin) Nigerian.Ok one little secret. . .My dad is 4rm abia state,my mom ekiti lipsrsealed lipsrsealed(don't tell anybody) while i was born in lagos,spent 8 years in jos. . .so it further helps my "message"
Re: N. Assembly Approves N 17 Billion For Independence! Our Screams Not Loud Enough? by Nobody: 5:19pm On Jul 26, 2010
philip0906:

OMG!!!!u killed me there grin grin I'm not tribalistic on a serious note. . .just dat when I'm here,I just tend 2 take advantage of d situation. . .I'm a detribalised(hope i got d spelling grin) Nigerian.Ok one little secret. . .My dad is 4rm abia state,my mom ekiti lipsrsealed lipsrsealed(don't tell anybody) while i was born in lagos,spent 8 years in jos. . .so it further helps my "message"
You head like brick wall. continue sotigbo.

Anywaz, keep doing what you do, if you think it's going to make a difference. Every baby step counts
Re: N. Assembly Approves N 17 Billion For Independence! Our Screams Not Loud Enough? by philip0906(m): 5:24pm On Jul 26, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

You head like brick wall. continue sotigbo.

Anywaz, keep doing what you do, if you think it's going to make a difference. Every baby step counts
haba. . . cry cry grin grin
anywayz. . .thanks 4 d "encouragement".Just wish Nigerians could think like me,Nigeria will be a better place cheesy cheesy
Re: N. Assembly Approves N 17 Billion For Independence! Our Screams Not Loud Enough? by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jul 26, 2010
philip0906:

haba. . . grin grin grin
anywayz. . .thanks 4 d "encouragement".Just hope Nigerians could think like me,Nigeria will be a better place cheesy cheesy
shioooooor. ego trip. . . . where to? Alaska.
Re: N. Assembly Approves N 17 Billion For Independence! Our Screams Not Loud Enough? by Nobody: 5:26pm On Jul 26, 2010
has johnny not been readin his facebook lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: N. Assembly Approves N 17 Billion For Independence! Our Screams Not Loud Enough? by philip0906(m): 5:29pm On Jul 26, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

shioooooor. ego trip. . . . where to? Alaska.

naah. . .def. not grin grin
oyb:

has johnny not been readin his facebook lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
he is attending 2 "pressing" national issues. . .just be patient grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians Are Now Seeing Through Jonathan. / New Breed Fraudstars. / "expired leaders" - Northern Group Plans Protest Against Ibb, Atiku, Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.