Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,335 members, 7,819,169 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:14 PM

Nigerians In Diaspora Can’t Vote In 2011,says Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians In Diaspora Can’t Vote In 2011,says Jonathan (3498 Views)

Buhari’s Appointments Are Not Lopsided Says Jonathan’s Former-aide, Omokiri / Lagos Can’t Vote For Buhari / List Of Nigeria's Current State Governors In 2011-2015 Term (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians In Diaspora Can’t Vote In 2011,says Jonathan by Nobody: 7:29am On Jul 27, 2010
President Goodluck Jonathan has declared that Nigerians living in the Diaspora will not be able to participate in the 2011 general election until a particular provision on general elections in the constitution is amended. undecided

Jonathan, who was responding to an appeal made by Nigerians in Diaspora for the extension of their voting rights to their places of residence to ensure that they exercise their franchise in the 2011 general elections, said it was not feasible since the general election is a few months away.
He stated that time is too short to include Nigerians in the Diaspora in the voting exercise, adding that Nigerians are determined to get it right this time, therefore the process of registering which is yet to be done in the country cannot be extended to them if it has to be concluded before the elections.

The President who was represented by the Secretary of the Government of the Federation, Alhaji Yayale Ahmed made the disclosure at the 4th National Diaspora Conference with the theme Nigeria at 50: the Role of the Diaspora in National Development yesterday in Minna.
Jonathan assured the Nigerians in Diaspora that despite that the National Assembly is yet to resolve the issue of their inclusion in the voting exercise of 2011, he promised that everything will be done to make it possible for them to exercise their franchise if not in 2011, the next general elections.

“I note with sadness that Nigerians in Diaspora have not been exercising their fundamental rights as Nigerians. This is essentially a constitutional issue but as a responsible Government, we shall do everything to promote the fundamental rights of Nigerians wherever they are”.
 Speaking to the 288 Nigerians in Diaspora from about 20 countries who converged in Minna to discuss on issues that affect the development of the country, Jonathan encouraged them to continue to be ambassadors of the country wherever they find themselves, adding that the attitude of Nigerians living abroad will prove to the world that the country is serious with its re-branding
campaign.

According to the president, the conference was held with the purpose of pooling resources and focus of the development challenges facing the country and to proffer solution to them, especially the area of turning the brain drain syndrome to brain gain for the country.

Speaking earlier, Niger State Governor, Dr. Muazu Babangida Aliyu, said it was imperative for the organisation of the conference to enable Nigerians in Diaspora to contribute their wealth of knowledge to national development.

Aliyu encouraged them to invest in Nigeria , adding that their commitment and investment in Nigeria will encourage foreign direct investment into the country.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=179252
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Can’t Vote In 2011,says Jonathan by emmydee(m): 11:35am On Jul 27, 2010
ok o, we shall wait!
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Can’t Vote In 2011,says Jonathan by olaolabiy: 11:39am On Jul 27, 2010
who wan vote before.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Can’t Vote In 2011,says Jonathan by Acidosis(m): 11:43am On Jul 27, 2010
Political strategies to get a good number of voters
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Can’t Vote In 2011,says Jonathan by Nobody: 11:45am On Jul 27, 2010
It is easier to register Nigerians legitimately living abroad than to register Nigerians in Nigeria.
Reason being Nigerians in Diaspora already have passports and their identities can simply be verified with immigration. All they need is for our embassies to announce that Nigerians interested in voting should indicate their interest so that a background check can be carried out before election.

It will be better for Nigeria, if Nigerians everywhere can vote.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Can’t Vote In 2011,says Jonathan by snowdrops(m): 11:48am On Jul 27, 2010
reason being PDP cannot send thugs abroad to intimidate and molest voters. so why bother with a free and fair election overseas when wuruwuru dey yanfuyanfu for house.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Can’t Vote In 2011,says Jonathan by hackney(m): 12:15pm On Jul 27, 2010
^^^^ so accurate, man.
chai!!

They also dont have remote voting facility and cant be
bothered to organise one so they are like: abeg leave that one.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Can’t Vote In 2011,says Jonathan by Nobody: 12:21pm On Jul 27, 2010
snowdrops:

reason being PDP cannot send thugs abroad to intimidate and molest voters. so why bother with a free and fair election overseas when wuruwuru dey yanfuyanfu for house.
O boy, you never jam.
Dem tell you say PDP need anybody vote??

One person go dey inside one room wey him job na to dey press/add numbers.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Can’t Vote In 2011,says Jonathan by Becomrich0: 12:22pm On Jul 27, 2010
There is no provision in the nigeria constitution that stop Nigerian living abroad from voting. There is no provision. They should show us. we can vote and be elected. Nigeria court have said so.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Can’t Vote In 2011,says Jonathan by OboBoco(f): 12:23pm On Jul 27, 2010
snowdrops:

i wanted to trip for you for saying the truth and ask you to be my boyfriend, if not for the arsenal thingy about you.  embarassed embarassed embarassed
but now i can trip for you and ask you to be my boyfriend REASON cos am a born blue blood ( CHELSEA ). tongue tongue
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Can’t Vote In 2011,says Jonathan by FBS: 12:26pm On Jul 27, 2010
^^^ erm erm. . .Chelsea supporter right here. I'm actually the official spokesperson for the club on NL.  cheesy
Its off topic but it ain't my fault.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Can’t Vote In 2011,says Jonathan by obi123: 12:31pm On Jul 27, 2010
God bless you o jare ola olabiyi, who wan vote before , nonsense!!!!!
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Can’t Vote In 2011,says Jonathan by cold(m): 12:55pm On Jul 27, 2010
Becomrich0:

There is no provision in the nigeria constitution that stop Nigerian living abroad from voting. There is no provision. They should show us. we can vote and be elected. Nigeria court have said so.
Becomrich,which court again grin
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Can’t Vote In 2011,says Jonathan by Nobody: 1:02pm On Jul 27, 2010
OMO IBO:

O boy, you never jam.
Dem tell you say PDP need anybody vote??

One person go dey inside one room wey him job na to dey press/add numbers.
grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Can’t Vote In 2011,says Jonathan by machere44: 1:06pm On Jul 27, 2010
Who the hell wanted to vote before, Until I see that they have all been struck by lightning and people with fear are in govt before I go vote for that country, The results are out already fopr the 2011 elections my fellow NL, who is fooling who, REVOLUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Can’t Vote In 2011,says Jonathan by EzeUche(m): 1:08pm On Jul 27, 2010
Don't burn this bridge Jonathan. It is not well to anger Nigerians in the diaspora since we send a lot of money back home.  angry

And carry a lot of clout. . .

Even Americans are allowed to vote abroad.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Can’t Vote In 2011,says Jonathan by Nobody: 1:14pm On Jul 27, 2010
Becomerich is right

There is a subsisting court Judgement saying that Nigerians in Diaspora can vote.

So why the Federal Government/ INEC and NASS did not make effort to include this in their electoral reform only they will know.

Are they intentionally snubbing a court pronouncement?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Can’t Vote In 2011,says Jonathan by Nobody: 1:24pm On Jul 27, 2010
Delivering judgment in the suit filed by Nigerians living abroad, led by Prof. Bolaji Aluko, Hon. Hakeem Bello, and Mr Uzoma Onyemaechi, presiding Justice Adamu Bello directed INEC to approach the National Assembly by sponsoring a bill for the sake of Nigerians in diaspora.

In doing so, he said INEC could borrow a leaf from countries that had already adopted the external voting system.

The plaintiffs had dragged INEC and the Attorney General of Federation and Minister of Justice to court to give them equal rights of voting in countries where they reside.

They buttressed their argument with Article 13 (1) of the African Charter on Human and People’s Rights (Ratification and Enforcement Act) (cap 10) laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 1990.

The plaintiff also averred that they are qualified for registration as voters by virtue of section 13 (1) (c) of the Electoral Act 2006 and sections 77(2), 117 (2), 132(5) and 178 (5) of 1999 constitution.

They, therefore, requested INEC to set up registration centres and polling stations for the purposes of registering eligible voters as well as allow for voting in all Nigeria’s High Commissions and Embassies.

http://trendyafrica.com/2009/02/03/house-applauds-voting-by-nigerians-in-diaspora/
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Can’t Vote In 2011,says Jonathan by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jul 27, 2010
cheesy cheesy

beaf will have to come to vote for his idol cheesy
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Can’t Vote In 2011,says Jonathan by Beaf: 1:39pm On Jul 27, 2010
oyb:

cheesy cheesy

beaf will have to come to vote for his idol cheesy

. . .And the sh'it fly flies again.
Are you a homo? beaf, beaf, beaf, beaf everywhere! Na wa! Babes no de your area? shocked
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Can’t Vote In 2011,says Jonathan by Nobody: 1:43pm On Jul 27, 2010
sharrap and go and blow off becomrich and shove his maps up yr arse  cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy after you finish blowing off saint johnny lincoln kennedy goodluck the best president africa has ever seen  cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Can’t Vote In 2011,says Jonathan by Nobody: 1:44pm On Jul 27, 2010
Beaf:

. . .And the sh'it fly flies again.
Are you a homo? beaf, beaf, beaf, beaf everywhere! Na wa! Babes no de your area? shocked
lwkmd. . Why are you complaing ? Are you not jonathan spokesman on NL.lol
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Can’t Vote In 2011,says Jonathan by Beaf: 1:51pm On Jul 27, 2010
~Bluetooth:

lwkmd. . Why are you complaing ? Are you not jonathan spokesman on NL.lol

Complaining? I just don't care to be the object of another males obsession. Is oyb a homo that he's always going beaf, beaf, beaf, beaf everywhere?!
Babes no de im village?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Can’t Vote In 2011,says Jonathan by OboBoco(f): 1:56pm On Jul 27, 2010
FBS:

^^^ erm erm. . .Chelsea supporter right here. I'm actually the official spokesperson for the club on NL.  cheesy
Its off topic but it ain't my fault.

grin grin grin, ok that cool, so lets kick it off.
btw, i like your chelsea post ( ur pics)
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Can’t Vote In 2011,says Jonathan by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jul 27, 2010
beaf , the guy who is constantly riding johnny good luck and becormich musiwas nuts, calling me a homo - wonders shall never end cheesy cheesy

abeg go and defend president facebook - see as the budget has ballooned to 17b - abi cat dey hold your tongue cheesy cheesy cheesy

maybe if you post on his wall, you will get to vote from obodo oyibo - shebi your sugar daddy is a listening president cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Can’t Vote In 2011,says Jonathan by snowdrops(m): 2:06pm On Jul 27, 2010
Obo Boco:

i wanted to trip for you for saying the truth and ask you to be my boyfriend, if not for the arsenal thingy about you. embarassed embarassed embarassed
but now i can trip for you and ask you to be my boyfriend REASON cos am a born blue blood ( CHELSEA ). tongue tongue
Even Romeo and Juliet still got on and fell in love.

Dont worry, no football club shall come between us, and the house shouts AMEN.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Can’t Vote In 2011,says Jonathan by Beaf: 2:18pm On Jul 27, 2010
oyb:

beaf , the guy who is constantly riding johnny good luck and becormich musiwas nuts, calling me a homo - wonders shall never end cheesy cheesy

abeg go and defend president facebook - see as the budget has ballooned to 17b - abi cat dey hold your tongue cheesy cheesy cheesy

maybe if you post on his wall, you will get to vote from obodo oyibo - shebi your sugar daddy is a listening president cheesy cheesy cheesy

You actually sound jealous! shocked Sorry, I can't give you attention, I'm not into that stuff; I absolutely adore women! grin
I still ask, are you a homo? cos all the people you mentioned are 100% male. Na wa o! Revelations!
Anywhere I go on NL, its beaf, beaf, beaf, beaf, beaf, beaf! Don't you have a wife or girlfriend? Chei!
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Can’t Vote In 2011,says Jonathan by Nobody: 2:24pm On Jul 27, 2010
beaf has a new twist on his bizaree persecution complex - sad when you are so deluded that you think the world revolves round you

get back to licking becomrich's nuts, k wink

anyway whty are you doing the usual

as goodluck johnathan's chief spokesman on NL, you have no comments on the fact that you wont be voting ?

or is it until he reposnds to your post on his wall before you get back to us cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Can’t Vote In 2011,says Jonathan by FBS: 2:29pm On Jul 27, 2010
Obo Boco:

grin grin grin, ok that cool, so lets kick it off.
btw, i like your chelsea post ( your pics)
OH yes, I'm already kicking it off.  cheesy. Chelsea!!!
Hit me on the Chelsea Thread (so as not to derail this thread). Can you find it or shall I help you?  wink cheesy

snowdrops:

Sorry Snowdrops but you is late.  cheesy

1- 0 to Chelsea.  tongue grin
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Can’t Vote In 2011,says Jonathan by OboBoco(f): 2:29pm On Jul 27, 2010
snowdrops:

oh thats so sweet, no wonder your user name is snowdrops, it cute. but don't forget that romeo and juliet did not live to tell their love story. cool cheesy
so when are we going to our love garden  grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Can’t Vote In 2011,says Jonathan by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jul 27, 2010
Na wa oh!!!!

All man don find wife for this site.

Na only me remain.

I need wife for real life ooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Can’t Vote In 2011,says Jonathan by OboBoco(f): 2:33pm On Jul 27, 2010
FBS:

OH yes, I'm already kicking it off.  cheesy. Chelsea!!!
Hit me on the Chelsea Thread (so as not to derail this thread). Can you find it or shall I help you?  wink cheesy

Sorry Snowdrops but you is late.  cheesy

1- 0 to Chelsea.  tongue grin

ok i will meet you there, yeah i can find it in the sports section. grin grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

STATE HOUSE PRESS RELEASE: GEJ Congratulates Nyako (PDP) On Adamawa Victory / Fg Dismisses Militants’ Demand For Amnesty / Amosun Blames NNPC For Pipeline Vandalization In Ogun State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.