Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,222 members, 7,818,762 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:57 AM

The Status Of The Five Daily Prayers In Islam - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / The Status Of The Five Daily Prayers In Islam (5251 Views)

Muslims Hold Jumaat Prayers In Makurdi In Defiance Of Ban / Muslim Boy Prayers In Front Of RCCG Church / Supplication after the five Daily Prayers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Status Of The Five Daily Prayers In Islam by AbuTwins: 3:34pm On Nov 27, 2018
Question

I hope that you can explain to us the status of prayer in Islam.

Answer

Praise be to Allaah.

Prayer occupies a great status in Islam that is not shared by any other act of worship. This is indicated by the following:

1 – It is the pillar of the religion, which cannot stand without it.

According to a hadeeth narrated by Mu’aadh ibn Jabal (may Allaah be pleased with him), the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Shall I not tell you of the head of the whole matter and its pillar and top?” I [Mu’aadh] said, “Yes, O Messenger of Allaah.” He said, “The head of the matter is Islam, its pillar is prayer and its top is jihad.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 2616; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi, 2110.

2 – It is second in status to the Shahaadatayn (twin testimony of faith) as further proof of the soundness of a person’s belief and as visible evidence of the beliefs that reside in the heart.

The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Islam is built on five [pillars]: the testimony that there is no god but Allaah and that Muhammad is His slave and Messenger, establishing prayer, paying zakaah, performing pilgrimage to the House, and fasting Ramadaan.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 8; Muslim, 16.

Establishing prayer means performing prayer in full with all its words and actions, at the appointed times, as it says in the Qur’aan (interpretation of the meaning):

“Verily, As-Salaah (the prayer) is enjoined on the believers at fixed hours”

[al-Nisa’ 4:103]

i.e., at defined times.

3 – Prayer occupies a special position among other acts of worship because of the way in which it was enjoined.

It was not brought down to earth by an angel, rather Allaah wanted to bless His Messenger Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) by taking him up to heaven and addressing him directly concerning the obligation of prayer. This is something that is unique to prayer among all the rituals of Islam.

Prayer was enjoined on the night of the Mi’raaj [Prophet’s ascent to heaven], approximately three years before the Hijrah.

Fifty prayers (per day) were enjoined at first, then the number was reduced to five, but the reward of fifty remains. This is indicative of Allaah’s love of prayer and its great status.

4 – Allaah erases sins by means of prayer

Al-Bukhaari (528) and Muslim (667) narrated from Abu Hurayrah that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said – and in the hadeeth of Bakr it is narrated that he heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say – “What do you think if there was a river by the door of any one of you and he bathed in it five times a day, would there be any trace of dirt left on him?” They said, “No trace of dirt would be left on him.” He said, “That is like the five daily prayers, by means of which Allaah erases sin.”

5 – Prayer is the last part of religion to be lost, and if it is lost the whole religion is lost.

It was narrated that Jaabir ibn ‘Abd-Allaah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Between a man and shirk [associating others with Allaah] and kufr [disbelief] there stands his giving up prayer.” Narrated by Muslim, 82.

Hence the Muslim should be keen to perform the prayers on time, and not be lazy or take the matter lightly. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“So woe unto those performers of Salaah (prayers) (hypocrites),

Those who delay their Salaah (prayer from their stated fixed times)”

[al-Maa’oon 107:4-5]

And Allaah warns those who cause their prayers to be lost by saying (interpretation of the meaning):

“Then, there has succeeded them a posterity who have given up As-Salaat (the prayers) [i.e. made their Salaat (prayers) to be lost, either by not offering them or by not offering them perfectly or by not offering them in their proper fixed times] and have followed lusts. So they will be thrown in Hell”

[Maryam 19:59]

6 – Prayer is the first thing for which a person will be brought to account on the Day of Resurrection:

It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “The first deed for which a person will be brought to account on the Day of Resurrection will be his prayer. If it is good then he will have prospered and succeeded, but if it is bad then he will be doomed and have lost. If anything is lacking from his obligatory prayers, the Lord will say, ‘Look and see whether My slave did any voluntary prayers, and make up the shortfall in his obligatory prayers from that.’ Then all his deeds will be dealt with likewise.” Narrated by al-Nasaa’i, 465; al-Tirmidhi, 413. Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 2573.

We ask Allaah to help us to remember Him, give thanks to Him and to worship Him properly.

Reference: al-Salaah by Dr. al-Tayyaar, p. 16; Tawdeeh al-Ahkaam by al-Bassaam, 1/371; Taareekh Mashroo’iyyat al-Salaah by al-Balooshi, p. 31.

Source

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Status Of The Five Daily Prayers In Islam by grtboy51(m): 9:21am On Nov 30, 2018
In summary wetin una dey talk abt

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Status Of The Five Daily Prayers In Islam by Taasii4change: 9:37am On Nov 30, 2018
Alhamdulillah

1 Like

Re: The Status Of The Five Daily Prayers In Islam by alasene(m): 9:38am On Nov 30, 2018
Allahu Akbar

1 Like

Re: The Status Of The Five Daily Prayers In Islam by Ogalanyaidi(m): 9:39am On Nov 30, 2018
Cool
Re: The Status Of The Five Daily Prayers In Islam by OkunrinOloro: 9:43am On Nov 30, 2018
Show me where in the koran where it says that muslims should pray 5 times a day.

1 Like

Re: The Status Of The Five Daily Prayers In Islam by yrex01(m): 9:45am On Nov 30, 2018
grtboy51:
are u a Muslim ?
Re: The Status Of The Five Daily Prayers In Islam by yrex01(m): 9:48am On Nov 30, 2018
OkunrinOloro:
Show me where in the koran where it says that muslims should pray 5 times a day.
as if he has goes tru Quran b4. Bro u tired, have rest.
Re: The Status Of The Five Daily Prayers In Islam by FASASI1(m): 9:58am On Nov 30, 2018
OkunrinOloro:
Go and acquire knowledge ignorant kills

1 Like

Re: The Status Of The Five Daily Prayers In Islam by yakbauer: 10:03am On Nov 30, 2018
Jazakhallahu Khairan
Re: The Status Of The Five Daily Prayers In Islam by ayoolataiwo(m): 10:37am On Nov 30, 2018
pls be matured enough
Re: The Status Of The Five Daily Prayers In Islam by abdulazeez1002(m): 2:10pm On Nov 30, 2018
OkunrinOloro:
Go and get the tafseer of this Ayahs: [Hood
11:114], [al-Room 30:17], ’ [al-Nisa’ 4:103], [al-Isra’ 17:78], [Hood 11:114], [Ta-Ha 20:130], [Qaaf 50:39], [al-Hashr 59:7].

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Status Of The Five Daily Prayers In Islam by OkunrinOloro: 2:57pm On Nov 30, 2018
I don't want tafseers. I want the actual passage in the koran where it tells muslims to pray 5 times a day.

abdulazeez1002:
Go and get the tafseer of this Ayahs: [Hood
11:114], [al-Room 30:17], ’ [al-Nisa’ 4:103], [al-Isra’ 17:78], [Hood 11:114], [Ta-Ha 20:130], [Qaaf 50:39], [al-Hashr 59:7].
Re: The Status Of The Five Daily Prayers In Islam by oyebolaidris: 3:18pm On Nov 30, 2018
mon sha Allah
Re: The Status Of The Five Daily Prayers In Islam by abdulazeez1002(m): 3:28pm On Nov 30, 2018
OkunrinOloro:
I don't want tafseers. I want the actual passage in the koran where it tells muslims to pray 5 times a day.

You won't understand since you don't read or listen to books of tafseer(commentaries?). Qur'an is not a book you sit and just read alone and think you'll understand anything. moreover go and listen to the tafseer of [Hood 11:114].This aayah mentions all five prayers together
Re: The Status Of The Five Daily Prayers In Islam by OkunrinOloro: 3:31pm On Nov 30, 2018
So the koran is not a book that can speak for itself? Why do I need Ibn Kathir or Al Tabari to understand the koran? If the koran cannot speak for itself, but relies on other people to interpret it, why should it be trusted?

abdulazeez1002:
You won't understand since you don't read or listen to books of tafseer(commentaries?). Qur'an is not a book you sit and just read alone and think you'll understand anything. moreover go and listen to the tafseer of [Hood 11:114].This aayah mentions all five prayers together
Re: The Status Of The Five Daily Prayers In Islam by abdulazeez1002(m): 3:42pm On Nov 30, 2018
OkunrinOloro:
So the koran is not a book that can speak for itself? Why do I need Ibn Kathir or Al Tabari to understand the koran? If the koran cannot speak for itself, but relies on other people to interpret it, why should it be trusted?

Do you understand Arabic?? No. How are you sure of the person that translate the Quran to the English you are reading. That's why you have to listen to commentaries of people that have more knowledge than you.
Or if it so why don't you just sit at home and just be reading your books and don't go to school.

1 Like

Re: The Status Of The Five Daily Prayers In Islam by OkunrinOloro: 3:51pm On Nov 30, 2018
You mean the commentaries of people who have more knowledge than the writer of the koran? If the koran is a real book of God, why do I need to read any commentary in addition to it?

abdulazeez1002:
Do you understand Arabic?? No. How are you sure of the person that translate the Quran to the English you are reading. That's why you have to listen to commentaries of people that have more knowledge than you.
Or if it so why don't you just sit at home and just be reading your books and don't go to school.
Re: The Status Of The Five Daily Prayers In Islam by malvisguy212: 3:58pm On Nov 30, 2018
abdulazeez1002:
so in other for you to learn the Qur'an, you must understand Arabic ? Allah doesn't understand other languages ?
Re: The Status Of The Five Daily Prayers In Islam by abdulazeez1002(m): 4:20pm On Nov 30, 2018
OkunrinOloro:
You mean the commentaries of people who have more knowledge than the writer of the koran? If the koran is a real book of God, why do I need to read any commentary in addition to it?

But how do you reason? You just do your bundle, come online and say stupid things in the name of opinions.
And henceforth I will start ignoring any mention I receive from you
Re: The Status Of The Five Daily Prayers In Islam by abdulazeez1002(m): 4:22pm On Nov 30, 2018
malvisguy212:
so in other for you to learn the Qur'an, you must understand Arabic ? Allah doesn't understand other languages ?
Save me from you? Like what the Bleep. You're so dumb. Simple logic and you can't take and you're here saying rubbish
Re: The Status Of The Five Daily Prayers In Islam by OkunrinOloro: 4:44pm On Nov 30, 2018
Answer the question and stop crying grin

[img]https://i./3NowX.gif[/img]

abdulazeez1002:
But how do you reason? You just do your bundle, come online and say stupid things in the name of opinions.
And henceforth I will start ignoring any mention I receive from you
Re: The Status Of The Five Daily Prayers In Islam by abbasajao(m): 4:54pm On Nov 30, 2018
grtboy51:

Importance of observing prayer(salat)
Re: The Status Of The Five Daily Prayers In Islam by malvisguy212: 5:17pm On Nov 30, 2018
abdulazeez1002:
Save me from you? Like what the Bleep. You're so dumb. Simple logic and you can't take and you're here saying rubbish
Read my post, did I insult you? am very sure if we are having this conversation face to face, you would behead me.
Re: The Status Of The Five Daily Prayers In Islam by SokoDobo: 11:45pm On Nov 30, 2018
OkunrinOloro:

Muslims pray five time a day, because God commanded them to, in the Qur'an and through his Messenger, Prophet Muhammad (SAW). Your question is however regarding the Qur'an, so am gona stick to that.

The command to pray

The Qur'an says: اتْلُ مَآ اُوحِيَ إِلَيْكَ مِنَ الْكِتَابِ وَأَقِمِ الصَّلاَةَ إِنَّ الصَّلاَةَ تَنْهَي عَنِ الْفَحْشَآءِ وَالْمُنكَرِ وَلَذِكْرُ اللَّهِ أَكْبَرُ وَاللَّهُ يَعْلَمُ مَا تَصْنَعُونَ

Translation: "Recite what has been revealed to you of the Book and establish the prayer. Indeed, prayer prohibits immorality and wrongdoing, and the remembrance of Allah is greater. And Allah knows that which you do."(Q29:45)

In another verse: حَافِظُوا عَلَى الصَّلَوَاتِ وَالصَّلَاةِ الْوُسْطَىٰ وَقُومُوا لِلَّهِ قَانِتِينَ

Translation: "Maintain with care the [obligatory] prayers and [in particular] the middle prayer and stand before Allah, devoutly obedient."(2:238)

The verses above are clear commandments for Muslims to always establish prayers.

When to pray

The Qur'an says: إِنَّ ٱلصَّلَوٰةَ كَانَتۡ عَلَى ٱلۡمُؤۡمِنِينَ كِتَـٰبً۬ا مَّوۡقُوتً۬ا

Translation: "Indeed, prayer has been decreed upon the believers a decree of specified times." (Q4:103)

The verse above clearly tells us that Muslims are not to just prayer at their convenience. Their are specific and decreed times for all the prayers.

What are those decreed and specific times?

The Qur'an stated this in many parts of the Qur'an, which upon careful study, anyone can come up with the exact number of the decreed times which are five.

The Qur'an says: وَاَقِمِ الصَّلٰوةَ طَرَفَىِ النَّهَارِ وَزُلَـفًا مِّنَ الَّيۡلِ​ ؕ اِنَّ الۡحَسَنٰتِ يُذۡهِبۡنَ السَّيِّاٰتِ ​ؕ ذٰ لِكَ ذِكۡرٰى لِلذّٰكِرِيۡنَ

Translation: "And establish prayer at the two ends of the day and at the approach of the night. Indeed, good deeds do away with misdeeds. That is a reminder for those who remember." (Q11:114)

The above verse is a command to pray Fajr (early morning), Isha ( night) and Maghrib ( evening).

The Qur'an says: أَقِمِ الصَّلَاةَ لِدُلُوكِ الشَّمْسِ إِلَىٰ غَسَقِ اللَّيْلِ

Translation: "Establish the prayer when the sun declines from its highest point at noon, as it moves towards sunset...." (Q17:78).

The above verse is a command to pray Zuhr.

The Qur'an says: حَافِظُوا عَلَى الصَّلَوَاتِ وَالصَّلَاةِ الْوُسْطَىٰ وَقُومُوا لِلَّهِ قَانِتِينَ

Translation: "Maintain with care the [obligatory] prayers and [in particular] the middle prayer and stand before Allah, devoutly obedient."(2:238)

The Prophet is reported to have said: “Salat-ul-Wusta (the middle prayer) is the Asr prayer.” (Muslim 631).

Who asked the Prophet to offer this explanation?

The Qur'an says: وَالزُّبُرِ وَأَنزَلْنَا إِلَيْكَ الذِّكْرَ لِتُبَيِّنَ لِلنَّاسِ مَا نُزِّلَ إِلَيْهِمْ وَلَعَلَّهُمْ يَتَفَكَّرُونَ

Translation: "And We revealed to you the message that you may make clear to the people what was sent down to them and that they might give thought."(Q16:44)

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

UAE Terror List: Ridiculous Despotism Gets More Comical / Islam Forbids Aggression Against Innocent People / Manners And Children: 5 Tips

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.