Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,874 members, 7,810,327 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:05 AM

Cost Of Living In Nigeria 2018: Give Key Costs Of Neccesities In Your Area - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Cost Of Living In Nigeria 2018: Give Key Costs Of Neccesities In Your Area (23316 Views)

10 Most Expensive Cities In Nigeria (2018) / Transport Prices From Lagos To Any Part Of Nigeria 2018 / How Much Is Canada Visa Fee In Nigeria 2018? – Check Out Visa Fees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cost Of Living In Nigeria 2018: Give Key Costs Of Neccesities In Your Area by HardMirror(m): 6:42pm On Nov 29, 2018
Posting this here so as to get good participation.

I am creating this thread because Nigeria is a really amazing country where almost everything contracts from state to state. From culture, to language, and even cost of living.

Today i met an hausa boy complaining that the groundnut being sold for N50 in Lagos (ikeja) costs only N5 in Sokoto. that is a whooping 1000% difference in price.

about a week ago a friend of mine from Akure called me and asked me to help her get an accommodation along Allen or Opebi, i asked her for her budget and she said N150k. I almost bust out laughing. Told her to get at least 300k for a self contained apartment (that is just a room with it's kitchen and bathroom). A two bedroom flat costs about 600k (lower average), 3 bedroom would cost over a million naira for most apartments here on allen.

I dont cook, i eat out always. Depending on what i wish to eat, a meal costs me from 300 naira (for street food like my favorite ghanian wanche) to 1500 if i wish to eat at the restaurants around.

Average hotel cost is 15,000 here except you want to go and lodge in the slumps here in ikeja such as ipodo area or ikeja under bridge area, you would get accommodation of 5k. However a good lodging will cost you a minimum of N35k for ibis hotel and the likes. Sheraton is not in my area.

Olosho would cost you 5k for the average ones sha. 10k for the presentable ones (if you know how to bargain)

if you cant spare a minimum of 300k for school fees in a year (primary school) please dont come to lagos else you want your child to go to public school or a mushroom private school.

What else? Ask me any other costs you wish to know along opebi allen in ikeja.

Share key costs of commodities and accommodation in your area

41 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria 2018: Give Key Costs Of Neccesities In Your Area by ashewoboy(m): 6:49pm On Nov 29, 2018
oja ti won si yicheesy.

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria 2018: Give Key Costs Of Neccesities In Your Area by Nobody: 6:56pm On Nov 29, 2018
Your post is very informative

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria 2018: Give Key Costs Of Neccesities In Your Area by HardMirror(m): 6:58pm On Nov 29, 2018
ashewoboy:
oja ti won si yicheesy.
wetin ashewoboy dey talk o. Abeg da si oro yi joor. Drop your contribution. Where you dey stay sef?

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria 2018: Give Key Costs Of Neccesities In Your Area by SweetBuns(f): 6:58pm On Nov 29, 2018
Well, life is not that hard here in akure!
With a decent 350k plus, you can get decent accommodation in a decent neighbourhood with decent people. I'd have said the place is safe if not for the skull miners that are rampant around here.
Transportation is a bit costly, provisions costlier, and others follow up.
In other words akure is a good place if you're looking for peace and quiet. And thats what I dont like. Nothing happens here. I miss Lagos cry

20 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria 2018: Give Key Costs Of Neccesities In Your Area by HardMirror(m): 7:01pm On Nov 29, 2018
SweetBuns:
Well, life is not that hard here in akure!
life aint hard here in lagos either. wink

I lived in akure for about 7years +

2 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria 2018: Give Key Costs Of Neccesities In Your Area by SweetBuns(f): 7:03pm On Nov 29, 2018
HardMirror:
life aint hard here in lagos either. wink

I lived in akure for about 7years +
really? I'm planning to get the hell outta here. No job opportunities at all
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria 2018: Give Key Costs Of Neccesities In Your Area by HardMirror(m): 7:07pm On Nov 29, 2018
SweetBuns:
really? I'm planning to get the hell outta here. No job opportunities at all
exactly! Osogbo is miles better than akure believe me. Akure is just big for nothing. Lagos is the most interesting place in nigeria believe me. Lagos has everything the good and bad.
Opportunities abound and you can really become 'big' here.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria 2018: Give Key Costs Of Neccesities In Your Area by Tallesty1(m): 7:08pm On Nov 29, 2018
HardMirror:
Posting this here so as to get good participation.

I am creating this thread because Nigeria is a really amazing country where almost everything contracts from state to state. From culture, to language, and even cost of living.
Nigeria is not an amazing country.
HardMirror:

Today i met an hausa boy complaining that the groundnut being sold for N50 in Lagos (ikeja) costs only N5 in Sokoto. that is a whooping 1000% difference in price.
I can't say much because I don't know the quantity/size but the price of groundnut is on the high side here compared to other northern states.
HardMirror:

about a week ago a friend of mine from Akure called me and asked me to help her get an accommodation along Allen or Opebi, i asked her for her budget and she said N150k. I almost bust out laughing. Told her to get at least 300k for a self contained apartment (that is just a room with it's kitchen and bathroom). A two bedroom flat costs about 600k (lower average), 3 bedroom would cost over a million naira for most apartments here on allen.
With 150k you can get a clean two bedroom flats here. Though it depends on the street, that same amount can only get a self con at APC quarters.
HardMirror:

I dont cook, i eat out always. Depending on what i wish to eat, a meal costs me from 300 naira (for street food like my favorite ghanian wanche) to 1500 if i wish to eat at the restaurants around.
I don't like eating out, I cook almost everything I eat when I am at home. With 7k, I can cook three different soups and still have some change. A plate of food in restaurants here is between N250-500.
HardMirror:

Average hotel cost is 15,000 here except you want to go and lodge in the slumps here in ikeja such as ipodo area or ikeja under bridge area, you would get accommodation of 5k. However a good lodging will cost you a minimum of N35k for ibis hotel and the likes. Sheraton is not in my area.
An average hotel room costs N5k here, you can get cleans ones with N2k though. It is about location and environment.
HardMirror:

Olosho would cost you 5k for the average ones sha. 10k for the presentable ones (if you know how to bargain)
Never had any business with these ones so I have nothing to say.
HardMirror:

What else? Ask me any other costs you wish to know along opebi allen in ikeja.

Share key costs of commodities and accommodation in your area
My location is Suleja, Niger state

50 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria 2018: Give Key Costs Of Neccesities In Your Area by Kenzico(m): 7:09pm On Nov 29, 2018
angry
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria 2018: Give Key Costs Of Neccesities In Your Area by SweetBuns(f): 7:11pm On Nov 29, 2018
HardMirror:
exactly! Osogbo is miles better than akure believe me. Akure is just big for nothing. Lagos is the most interesting place in nigeria believe me. Lagos has everything the good and bad.
Opportunities abound and you can really become 'big' here.
I can see that. I've had a taste of Lagos too. Its a place where the good, bad and ugly converge and live together . its a really interesting place
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria 2018: Give Key Costs Of Neccesities In Your Area by SweetBuns(f): 7:12pm On Nov 29, 2018
Tallesty1:
Nigeria is not an amazing country. I can't say much because I don't know the quantity/size but the price of groundnut is on the high side here compared to other northern states.
With 150k you can get a clean two bedroom flats here. Though it depends on the street, that same amount can only get a self con at APC quarters. I don't like eating out, I cook almost everything I eat when I am at home. With 7k, I can cook three different soups and still have some change. A plate of food in restaurants here is between N250-500.
An average hotel room costs N5k here, you can get cleans ones with N2k though. It is about location and environment.
1. First off, Nigeria is a great country. You just haven't travelled wide enough to see it.
2. Price of stuffs varies with geographical locations so don't compare.
3. Your method of eating differs from his. Good and fine. Different strokes for different folks.
4. How is Niger like? I'd like to know

7 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria 2018: Give Key Costs Of Neccesities In Your Area by HardMirror(m): 7:16pm On Nov 29, 2018
Tallesty1:
Nigeria is not an amazing country. I can't say much because I don't know the quantity/size but the price of groundnut is on the high side here compared to other northern states.
With 150k you can get a clean two bedroom flats here. Though it depends on the street, that same amount can only get a self con at APC quarters. I don't like eating out, I cook almost everything I eat when I am at home. With 7k, I can cook three different soups and still have some change. A plate of food in restaurants here is between N250-500.
wow! Thanks bro. What isthe average cost of shool fees for a year (primary school) over there

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria 2018: Give Key Costs Of Neccesities In Your Area by HardMirror(m): 7:36pm On Nov 29, 2018
SweetBuns:

1. First off, Nigeria is a great country. You just haven't travelled wide enough to see it.
3. Your method of eating differs from his. Good and fine. Different strokes for different folks.
i dont think he criticised me in anyway, he just shared his own lifestyle.

Yes nigeria is really an amazing and interesting country. Amazingly corrupt and backward in many crucial areas too unfortunately. None the less very blessed country

25 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria 2018: Give Key Costs Of Neccesities In Your Area by DanDeeBoss(m): 7:36pm On Nov 29, 2018
HardMirror:
wow! Thanks bro. What isthe average cost of shool fees for a year (primary school) over there
Average for private schools I know here in Minna is 15-20k for a term but you can get that of 8-10k

6 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria 2018: Give Key Costs Of Neccesities In Your Area by DanDeeBoss(m): 7:41pm On Nov 29, 2018
SweetBuns:

What aspect if I may ask??
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria 2018: Give Key Costs Of Neccesities In Your Area by SweetBuns(f): 7:43pm On Nov 29, 2018
DanDeeBoss:
What aspect if I may ask??
the environment, the people, the weather, the security stats.....
Thing like that sha

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria 2018: Give Key Costs Of Neccesities In Your Area by HardMirror(m): 7:43pm On Nov 29, 2018
DanDeeBoss:
Average for private schools I know here in Minna is 15-20k for a term but you can get that of 8-10k
not sure about other parts of lagos, but in ikeja, schools are damn expensive (at least compared to what you get in many other states) and somehow people want their kids in the good schools around so you end up paying much just to have your kids in the top schools. There are no spaces to build standard schools here, so those who can afford to build standard schools here end up charging very high

6 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria 2018: Give Key Costs Of Neccesities In Your Area by SweetBuns(f): 8:00pm On Nov 29, 2018
HardMirror:
not sure about other parts of lagos, but in ikeja, schools are damn expensive (at least compared to what you get in many other states) and somehow people want their kids in the good schools around so you end up paying much just to have your kids in the top schools. There are no spaces to build standard schools here, so those who can afford to build standard schools here end up charging very high
is there land for sale there?
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria 2018: Give Key Costs Of Neccesities In Your Area by HardMirror(m): 8:07pm On Nov 29, 2018
SweetBuns:
is there land for sale there?
there are, question is how many people can afford it? It is easier to get land on lekki than in ikeja.
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria 2018: Give Key Costs Of Neccesities In Your Area by AryEmber(f): 8:17pm On Nov 29, 2018
I believe folks living in Lagos are trying, I thought Akure is bad but this place is worse! Everything is expensive and another thing that drives me nuts is the noise. Thank God for my home.

10 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria 2018: Give Key Costs Of Neccesities In Your Area by HardMirror(m): 8:25pm On Nov 29, 2018
AryEmber:
I believe folks living in Lagos are trying, I thought Akure is bad but this place is worse! Everything is expensive and another thing that drives me nuts is the noise. Thank God for my home.
not everything. You can get a lot of cheap things here. Why are we all from akure?
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria 2018: Give Key Costs Of Neccesities In Your Area by Headlesschicken(m): 8:27pm On Nov 29, 2018
embarassed Condoms r very expensive down here...

6 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria 2018: Give Key Costs Of Neccesities In Your Area by SweetBuns(f): 8:32pm On Nov 29, 2018
HardMirror:
not everything. You can get a lot of cheap things here. Why are we all from akure?
maybe its fate?
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria 2018: Give Key Costs Of Neccesities In Your Area by SweetBuns(f): 8:32pm On Nov 29, 2018
Headlesschicken:
embarassed Condoms r very expensive down here...
ode sha

19 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria 2018: Give Key Costs Of Neccesities In Your Area by AryEmber(f): 8:34pm On Nov 29, 2018
HardMirror:
Things like electronics maybe. I'm not from Akure though, I merely school there.
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria 2018: Give Key Costs Of Neccesities In Your Area by HardMirror(m): 8:45pm On Nov 29, 2018
AryEmber:
Things like electronics maybe. I'm not from Akure though, I merely school there.
Futa?
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria 2018: Give Key Costs Of Neccesities In Your Area by DanDeeBoss(m): 8:49pm On Nov 29, 2018
SweetBuns:
the environment, the people, the weather, the security stats.....
Thing like that sha
Yeah...the environment here is nice, richly blessed too... Agricultural activities is on the rise,, I am sure 60-70percent of people engage in farming.... The weather is normal, as of now, we are in harmattan [November- January ]dry season [February -early April ]rainy season [May -early October ].......the people here are nice too and tolerant [Nupes and gwaris are the majority ]......crime rate is on the minimum,Niger state is one peaceful state.....

14 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria 2018: Give Key Costs Of Neccesities In Your Area by DanDeeBoss(m): 8:52pm On Nov 29, 2018
HardMirror:
Cost of living is not that high here though.... The expensive schools here are Brighter,Himma,Reedemed,Elamin and Mypa schools respectively
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria 2018: Give Key Costs Of Neccesities In Your Area by Firstgentleman1(m): 8:54pm On Nov 29, 2018
Here in Ilorin.

Feeding

-If you are the cooking type, food stuffs are generally cheap. With N1,600, you are sure of cooking well garnished soup with stew to go. Budget like N600 for meat, ponmo and smoked fish, then 1k for other ingredients and you are good to go. Just do your shopping at places like Oja Oba or Oja Tuntun. For better bargain, go after 6pm. *winks

- For the eating out brothers, with N150, you can feed well at bukas. Add N100 to that sum and you are sure of same at standard and neat restaurants. For the exclusive fast food joints, N1,000 will do.

Accommodation

- You can get a good one room self contain for N80,000 at places like Adewole, Fate, Tanke etc. You'll get same for N50,000 or 60K at places like Oloje Estate, Adeta, Agbo Oba etc.

Transport.

Average cost is N80 for keke, taxi and bike. The lowest for the three is N50. Bus still run N40 from Oja Oba to POst office and challenge.. Or Oloje to Ogidi.

Olosho.

Who needs them when you can hang out at places like Water view and get a

18 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria 2018: Give Key Costs Of Neccesities In Your Area by HardMirror(m): 9:00pm On Nov 29, 2018
Oh yes! I forgot transportation.
There are still keke of N50 in lagos. Opebi to ikeja is N50, ikeja to allen is N50 etc. Taxi? Well... if not uber or taxify. Taxi can be as cheap as N500 depending on how far you are going. But N500 seems to be the minimum for shot distances

You have options such as

Danfo,
Molue,
BRT
Uber
Keke
Gokada
Taxify
Yellow taxi
Private cars plying as taxis
Aboki okada (these ones can ruin your life!)

13 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria 2018: Give Key Costs Of Neccesities In Your Area by Tallesty1(m): 9:01pm On Nov 29, 2018
SweetBuns:

Nigeria isn't even supposed to be a country, you just haven't been to a great country to know the difference.
SweetBuns:

2. Price of stuffs varies with geographical locations so don't compare.[I am not comparing, I stated it as it is in my location.
[quote author=SweetBuns post=73415600]
Are you sure you understand this thread?
SweetBuns:

Just like every other state, it has beautiful places and it's got its own slums. Suleja is very cool and the cost of living is fair. Security isn't great, virtually doesn't exist but most streets has its vigilante.
No riots, probably because folks here are from different states.
Water? Nah, none at all.
Electricity? 12hrs a day in my location.

13 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Protesting Drivers Block Kaduna-Abuja Highway Over Shooting Of Driver By Police / Petrol Tanker Rams Into Danfo In Lagos This Morning (Photos) / Two Planes Collide At Lagos Airport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.