Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,790 members, 7,831,552 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:50 PM

Rehabilitating The Self Image Of The Black-man - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Rehabilitating The Self Image Of The Black-man (1773 Views)

Racism In The Self-styled Holy Land: Ethiopian Jew Persona Non Grata / Video of Another Police Murder In The Self-proclaimed Land Of Justice-USA! / 67 Year Old Oyibo Man Beats Up Young Black Man On The Bus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rehabilitating The Self Image Of The Black-man by logic101: 4:27am On Jul 30, 2010
Most Africans today would agree with Aime Cesaire’s famous description of Africans as “those who never explored anything, those who never tamed anything, those who give themselves up to the essence of things.”

To such Africans, talk of an African Renaissance is just nonsense, hot air! But they are simply victims of a racist/white-supremacist, Eurocentric education foisted on us by the European colonizers. As Cheikh Anta Diop correctly pointed out:

“The philosophy of the colonizer was to make it very clear that the colonized people could do nothing for themselves without the assistance of the colonizing people.” —Diop, Great African Thinkers, p. 349 One of the ways in which white supremacists have instilled this idea has been to demand to know: What has Black Africa contributed to civilization, or to world progress?

“In every country that one visits and where one is drawn into conversation about Africa, the question is regularly asked by people who should know better: ‘But what has Africa contributed to world progress? . . . not the wheel, not writing, not mathematics, not art . . . not this, not that and not the other thing. . .’ —L. S. Leakey, 1961, in his Herbert Spencer Lecture at Oxford University. Quoted in Kwesi Prah, The African Nation, p.283
The presumption was that Black Africans have contributed nothing. This presumption is false. But it was given an appearance of truth by two falsifications of history: (1) the denial of what Ancient Egypt had contributed to the cultures of the Greeks and the Hebrews, and through them to European civilization, and (2) the exclusion of Pharaonic Egypt from Black Africa.

Egyptology, in the early 19th century, had accomplished the remarkable feat of taking Egypt out of Africa, and Black Africans (Negroes) out of Egypt. Academically, Egypt was made an extension of Europe. Egyptology was habitually either silent on the race of the Pharaonic Egyptians or presented them as whites. One of the ways of doing that was through what Amos Wilson described as the ‘unwritten rule which says that if ethnicity [or race] is not mentioned, then we are talking about white-folks.’ The dogma that the Ancient Egyptians were not Black Africans [Negroes] was a major falsification of history, and it served to justify the enslavement and colonization of blacks as a project to civilize the black primitives who have been unable to create any civilization.

In order not to be intimidated by this question, we need to remind ourselves that we, Black Africans, are not on earth to contribute to their White European civilization. Our business is to build our own civilization and take care of our own interests. That said, we can, nevertheless show that we have, through Black Egypt, contributed much to their white civilization, even though that is not our job.

Europe’s denial of Egypt’s seminal contributions to the foundations of Greek and Hebrew cultures, and its conjoined denial that the Ancient Egyptians were black, served as justification for the racist contempt that Blacks have been subjected to since the days of the trans-Atlantic chattel-enslavement of Negroes, and as part justification for colonialism.

Given the adverse consequences of this gross falsification, the race of the Ancient Egyptians is a vital question for Black Africans. Which was why Cheikh Anta Diop made it his life’s work to scientifically and rigorously demonstrate the Black identity of the ancient Egyptians, the Pharaonic Egyptians who built the pyramids on the Nile; and to show that Pharaonic Egyptian civilization played a major role in shaping the classical civilizations of the Mediterranean zone, including the Greek civilization, and therefore was the foundation for European civilization. As he put it:

“For us the new, important fact is less to have stated that the Egyptians were Blacks, as one of our principal sources, the ancient writers, already did, than to have contributed to making this idea a conscious historical fact for Africans and the world, and especially to making it an operational scientific concept: this is where our predecessors did not succeed.” —[Diop, Civilization or Barbarism, p.2]

In 1974, at the Cairo Symposium on the Peopling of Ancient Egypt and the Deciphering of the Meroitic Script, which UNESCO organized, Diop, ably assisted by his disciple Theophile Obenga, faced the cream of the world’s Eurocentric scholars who claimed that the Ancient Egyptians were not black. Diop carried the day by presenting eleven categories of evidence to support his argument for the blackness of the Ancient Egyptians: these categories included the contemporary eyewitness testimony of classical European writers; melanin levels in the skins of mummies; testimony from the Bible; linguistic and cultural comparisons with the rest of Black Africa; Pharaonic self-descriptions; data from physical anthropology, blood type studies, carvings and paintings; etc.

Having demonstrated scientifically that the Ancient Egyptians were Blacks, Diop argued that “the moral fruit of their civilization is to be counted among the assets of the Black world. Instead of presenting itself to history as an insolvent debtor, that Black world is the very initiator of the ‘western’ civilization flaunted before our eyes today. Pythagorean mathematics, the theory of the four elements of Thales of Miletus, Epicurean materialism, Platonic idealism, Judaism, Islam, and modern science are rooted in Egyptian cosmogony and science. One needs only to meditate on Osiris, the redeemer god, who sacrifices himself, dies, and is resurrected to save mankind, a figure essentially identifiable with Christ.” —[Diop, The African Origin of Civilization: Myth or Reality, p. xiv]

Diop elaborated:
“The oneness of Egyptian and Black culture could not be stated more clearly. Because of this essential identity of genius, culture and race, today all Negroes can legitimately trace their culture to ancient Egypt and build a modern culture on that foundation. A dynamic modern contact with Egyptian antiquity would enable Blacks to discover increasingly each day the intimate relationship between all Blacks of the continent and mother Nile Valley. By this dynamic contact the Negro will be convinced that these [Ancient Egyptian] temples, these forests of columns, these pyramids, these colossi, these bas reliefs, mathematics, medicine, and all this science are indeed the work of his ancestors and that he had a right and a duty to claim this heritage.”—[Diop, The African Origin of Civilization: Myth or Reality? p. 140]

Diop furthermore declared, in his last major book, Civilization or Barbarism, that: “Insofar as Egypt is the distant mother of Western cultures and sciences, as will emerge from the reading of this book, most of the ideas that we call foreign are oftentimes nothing but mixed up, reversed, modified, elaborated images of the creations of our African ancestors, such as Judaism, Christianity, Islam, dialectics, the theory of being, the exact sciences, arithmetic, geometry, mechanical engineering, astronomy, medicine, literature (novel, poetry, drama), architecture, the arts, etc. . . . Consequently, no thought, no ideology is, in essence, foreign to Africa, which was their birthplace. It is therefore with total liberty that Africans can draw from the common intellectual heritage of humanity, letting themselves be guided only by the notions of utility and efficiency.

—[Civilization or Barbarism, pp. 3, 4] Since Diop’s death in 1986, a major European scholar, Martin Bernal, has published detailed research to show that Greek civilization was an heir to Egyptian civilization, and has also documented how, beginning in the early 19th century, European scholarship, motivated by racist/white supremacist pride, denied that anciently accepted fact. (The book to read is Black Athena, Vol. I by Martin Bernal).

Diop’s life’s work challenged and overthrew the Eurocentric and Eurochauvinist history of the world, with its legend of the primitive Negro. It removed the intellectual basis for the racist contempt that European imperialists had instigated towards Blacks. But why the legend of the primitive Negro? Why did it arise? According to Diop, “The desire to legitimize colonization and the slave trade—in other words, the social condition of the Negro in the modern world—engendered an entire literature to describe the so-called inferior traits of the Black. The mind of several generations of Europeans would thus be gradually indoctrinated, Western opinion would crystallize and instinctively accept as revealed truth the equation: Negro=inferior humanity.

“To crown this cynicism, colonization would be depicted as a duty of humanity. They invoked ‘the civilizing mission’ of the West charged with the responsibility to raise the African to the level of other men [known to us as ‘the white man’s burden’]. From then on, capitalism had clear sailing to practice the most ferocious exploitation under the cloak of moral pretexts. . . . The memory of the recent slavery to which the Black race has been subjected, cleverly kept alive in men’s minds and especially in Black minds, often affects Black consciousness negatively. From the recent slavery an attempt has been made to construct—despite all historical truth—a legend that the Black has always been reduced to slavery by the superior white race with which he has lived, wherever it may have been. This enables Whites easily to justify the presence of Negroes in Egypt or in Mesopotamia or Arabia, by decreeing that they were enslaved. Although such an affirmation is nothing but dogma designed to falsify history—those who advance it are fully aware that it is erroneous—it nonetheless contributes to alienating Black consciousness. [Diop, The African Origin of Civilization: Myth or Reality? pp. 25, 26]

1 Like

Re: Rehabilitating The Self Image Of The Black-man by oyinda3(f): 4:40am On Jul 30, 2010
I really thought that the point of the article was to refute the quote in d first sentence.
well, the article failed woefully on that one. and i'm disappointed that i will have to agree with Aime Cesaire.

we Africans are indeed "those who never explored anything, those who never tamed anything, those who give themselves up to the essence of things.” I totally agree.

maybe we ppl from Sub-Saharan Africa did in the past. but we have no written records of it. or these records are not accessible to the average person.
Egyptians don't even consider themselves as Africans. says a lot.
Re: Rehabilitating The Self Image Of The Black-man by MyJoe: 11:48am On Jul 30, 2010
oyinda.:

I really thought that the point of the article was to refute the quote in d first sentence.
well, the article failed woefully on that one. and i'm disappointed that i will have to agree with Aime Cesaire.

we Africans are indeed "those who never explored anything, those who never tamed anything, those who give themselves up to the essence of things.” I totally agree.

maybe we ppl from Sub-Saharan Africa did in the past. but we have no written records of it. or these records are not accessible to the average person.
While your submissions are brilliant, I disagree with them. I think the question of the race of ancient Egyptians is important in debunking the lie that Africans never contributed anything to world civilisation. I agree we have no philosophers and scientists to point to in the Middle Ages or even a fairly long time before that, but civilisations have risen and fallen at different times throughout the ages. If a great African civilisation, which birthed others, existed before contemporary writing was invented, the absence of written records such as everyone can read does not in anyway mean that the civilisation was non-existent. The absence of detailed written records does not invalidate the splendor and achievements of the Binis, the Malis, the Noks, and the others. For me, the question is: were the ancient Egyptians really black Africans? There are a lot of references in that article. I think Diop's writings are worth examining.

And I really think you should not have added that last statement at all. Modern Egyptians are Arabs who came from the Arabian peninsular following the Arab conquest of Egypt in the 7th century. They don't come into this discussion.
Re: Rehabilitating The Self Image Of The Black-man by logic101: 12:29pm On Jul 30, 2010
oyinda.:

1- It did refute d quote in the first place which is that the black man contributed to the civilisation of western europe
2- ' we africans are those who never explored things ,those who never tamed anything , those who give themselves up to theessence of things' Thats what has been indoctrinated to the african mindset for centuries . we built the pyramids plus we had d civilizations of nuba
3- 'Not accessible to the average person' Thats because our leaders have refused to include it in our educational curriculum plus the currnet generation of africasn cum nigerians dont read
so yuour assertions are so wrong that you missed the message in the article,
Re: Rehabilitating The Self Image Of The Black-man by logic101: 12:35pm On Jul 30, 2010
AT MY JOE
ANCIENT EGYPTIANS WERE COLOURED PEOPLE AKA BLACK IN THE ANCIENT TIMES
IT WAS JUST NOT RECORDED
THE RECORDS ( FAKE MADE UP RECORDS) THE WHITE MAN HAVE OF BLACKS IN EGYPTS IS THAT WE WERE SLAVES WHICH IS A LIE
BLACK AFRICANS BECAME SLAVES AFTER THE INVASION OF ARABS FROM THE MIDDLE EAST.
CURRENT EGYPTIANS DONT SEE THEMSELVES AS AFRICANS( EUROPEANS ARE HAPPY BECAUSE WE ARE DIVIDED PEOPLE) BECAUSE OF THE UNDERDEVELOPMENT OF SUBSAHARAN AFRICA WHICH WAS RAPED FOR 1000 YEARS .
Re: Rehabilitating The Self Image Of The Black-man by Horus(m): 11:43am On Aug 02, 2010
the African masses must rebel  against the lies and ignorance created by the European which keep the minds of African people imprisoned and their spiritual strength weak. To make it plainer, the only rebellion the African masses can win at this time is a mental revolution, which will put the African masses in mental power. Then they will have the power to do anything else that may be necessary for complete liberation and well being.
Re: Rehabilitating The Self Image Of The Black-man by tpiah: 4:12pm On Aug 02, 2010
@ topic

good luck with that.

inferiority complex is here to stay, i should think.
Re: Rehabilitating The Self Image Of The Black-man by oyinda3(f): 10:50pm On Aug 02, 2010
all i know is that i and majority of sub saharan africans will never look up to some egyptians or consider them africa's greatest or anything like that. we have our own civilizations that we are proud of. although we could do much more especially in these contemporary times.
only black americans who typically don't know much about the african continent r usually the ones going about wishing they were from egypt just because u read abt some pyramids in 5th grade. lol

pls take your egyptology to an egyptian website. thank u.
yea no further comment
Re: Rehabilitating The Self Image Of The Black-man by MyJoe: 6:22pm On Aug 03, 2010
^^^
ehm. I think you are missing the whole point, ma'am. Subject matter is only important within a context. In this case, the claim that Africa has no history. Was David Hume and the other philosophers right to classify Africans as inferior human species, thus justifying the slave trade? That is the issue. It is not about wishing to be associated with pyramids or to marry Nefertiti. Today, Africans are at the bottom of the pile. The way forward lies in our hands, not that of Imhotep or Akhenaton.
Re: Rehabilitating The Self Image Of The Black-man by MandingoII(m): 6:40pm On Aug 03, 2010
Good read Logic!!!!

Unfortunatly too many Africans DO NOT KNOW their history and think of themselves as LESS THAN NOTHING.

you can tell by some of these posts how IGNORANT Africans are of their history and how their civilizations developed.

they simply cannot FANTOM how over 8,000 years ago how people migrated to develop the land they are now living on.

Look at America, only 250 years old , YET Egypt was All BLACK before all of the invasions by the greeks, syrians, assryians, arabs, romans, and other people of "white skin" that lighten up that areas of the African Continent.

they simply cannot see that Egypt was ALL BLACK through their lenses of today.

yet over 3000 years ago it was, AND this is what White people do not want the rest of the world or Africans to know.

today Egyptians want to be white, because this is what they are TAUGHT.

LEARN YOUR HISTORY PEOPLE
Re: Rehabilitating The Self Image Of The Black-man by sage(m): 11:17pm On Aug 03, 2010
MandingoII:

Good read Logic!!!!

Unfortunatly too many Africans DO NOT KNOW their history and think of themselves as LESS THAN NOTHING.

you can tell by some of these posts how IGNORANT Africans are of their history and how their civilizations developed.

they simply cannot FANTOM how over 8,000 years ago how people migrated to develop the land they are now living on.

Look at America, only 250 years old , YET Egypt was All BLACK before all of the invasions by the greeks, syrians, assryians, arabs, romans, and other people of "white skin" that lighten up that areas of the African Continent.

they simply cannot see that Egypt was ALL BLACK through their lenses of today.

yet over 3000 years ago it was, AND this is what White people do not want the rest of the world or Africans to know.

today Egyptians want to be white, because this is what they are TAUGHT.

LEARN YOUR HISTORY PEOPLE

Stop talking nonsense dude.
Re: Rehabilitating The Self Image Of The Black-man by logic101: 11:25pm On Aug 03, 2010
sage:

Stop talking nonsense dude.
how is the post above you talking nonsense. can you please elaborate on the nosense.
Re: Rehabilitating The Self Image Of The Black-man by oyinda3(f): 11:41pm On Aug 03, 2010
everybody living in the contemporary world knows that Africa has a history. Every continent has a history.
David Hume died in 1776 for christ sake. u make it seem as if he's a modern day philosopher.
to me, all these egyptology stuff is just very irrelevant. what are we trying to proove? lol

i'm glad u agree that Africans are at the bottom of the pile. and being associated with pyramids or married to Nefertiti is not the answers to our problems.
Re: Rehabilitating The Self Image Of The Black-man by logic101: 11:54pm On Aug 03, 2010
oyinda.:

everybody living in the contemporary world knows that Africa has a history. Every continent has a history.
David Hume died in 1776 for christ sake. u make it seem as if he's a modern day philosopher.
to me, all these egyptology stuff is just very irrelevant. what are we trying to proove? lol

i'm glad u agree that Africans are at the bottom of the pile. and being associated with pyramids or married to Nefertiti is not the answers to our problems.

When africans realise their history, they would regain their history and self consciousness.All black men who have succeded in life from martin luther king, mandela, malcom and many more knew their history.This made them excell to put the doubters to shame and they never sold out lyk many of our african brothers.They possesed black consciousness a trait which many blacks dont have today because of 500 years of slavery and colonolization.
Re: Rehabilitating The Self Image Of The Black-man by oyinda3(f): 12:07am On Aug 04, 2010
these black american people sef. una don tire me  sad

who freaking cares if egyptians built pyramids!!! and so what if they were black 1,500 years ago!!!!? what are u guys trying to proove?
can we talk about oyo empire instead and the dahomey, mali, ashanti empires etc? i don't care abt egypt and pyramids. jeez.
and i'm sure most Africans share my sentiment.

this topic should be in an african american forum instead. or an egyptian forum.
Re: Rehabilitating The Self Image Of The Black-man by logic101: 12:14am On Aug 04, 2010
oyinda.:

these black american people sef. una don tire me sad

who freaking cares if egyptians built pyramids!!! and so what if they were black 1,500 years ago!!!!? what are u guys trying to proove?
can we talk about oyo empire instead and the dahomey, mali, ashanti empires etc? i don't care abt egypt and pyramids. jeez.

this topic should be in an african american forum instead. or an egyptian forum.

wrong the author is nigerian and last time i checked we all black
Re: Rehabilitating The Self Image Of The Black-man by oyinda3(f): 12:17am On Aug 04, 2010
whats d author's name?
and what are his credentials.

yea we're all black. even white people originated from blacks. so what's ur point?
you don't see indians laying claim to the great wall of china even though they're all asians.
Re: Rehabilitating The Self Image Of The Black-man by coldhearts(f): 2:28am On Aug 04, 2010
oyinda.:

these black american people sef. una don tire me sad

i concur!

--------------------------------
this site tire me!!!!
Re: Rehabilitating The Self Image Of The Black-man by MyJoe: 12:34pm On Aug 04, 2010
oyinda.:

Wrong. Most people living in the contemporary world think African history began with the coming of the Europeans who "discovered" one place after another. People generally equate history with written history. I suggest you read Roland Oliver, Majory Perham, J.D. Fage and the other earlier "writers of African history." Their words: "Africa has no history, science or philosophy." Old material but still widely accepted, albeit not in the same words in this era of poli. Encyclopaedias written in the 19th century made similar claims. Many Africans themselves don't know their history.

oyinda:
How did I do this when I said his thesis provided basis for the slave trade? Is the slave trade an ongoing concert? And considering the horrors of the slave trade, colonialism and apartheid and the effects of these on our psyche, why do you think we would just chuck the writings of the likes Hume? Why do you think we should not seriously study history so as to better understand how we got here?

oyinda:
to me, all these egyptology stuff is just very irrelevant. what are we trying to prove? lol
That Africans do have a history, one that even predates that of the Europeans. That Black Africans are not anthropologically an inferior race and is widely believed, even today. I don't know that the ancient Egyptians were black and am not one to accept something just because someone says it or I want it to be so, but if they were there is no reason the evidence should not be brought to light and documented. I intend to look at the evidence Diop and his disciples have. If you do and find something useful, I am sure you will stop agreeing with Aime Cesaire and his ilk the way you currently do. Nobody is saying that it will stop pollution and violence the Niger Delta, starvation in Niger, corruption in Kenya, or Mugabe from abusing power. But if our children are taught our history, it can serve as a tool to spur them to greater heights. That is why the British taught their children quaint songs like "Britannia rules the waves," which they still sing now Britannia no longer rules the waves. That is why they spend billions teaching their children self-esteem in America. I personally don't have any nostalgia or even love for empires. I come from one , but I won't touch a chieftaincy title with a mile long pole. But studying history, ma'am, and simply recognising them, as well as debunking the false history of Africa being taught at universities across the world is important.

oyinda:
Africans are at the bottom of the pile - that is a self-evident fact and only someone who revels in self-delusion can attempt to deny it. As I have explained, knowing our history is not the answer to our problems. Diop, Armah and the others don't think so. That is not the point of the article in op. But it has its place. It is the answer to a problem.
Re: Rehabilitating The Self Image Of The Black-man by sage(m): 1:21am On Aug 05, 2010
oyinda.:

these black american people sef. una don tire me  sad

+100000000000000000000000000
These black Americans should quite spamming Nigerian websites with crap. If they think the ancient Egyptian are their "Brodas" and "Sistas" they are free to go about deceiving themselves. If they feel like talking about Egypt they can go start this  topic on an Egyptian forum so they can conversate with their "Brodas" and "Sistas". What a joke

For people that dont know this

Africa is a continent that has always been inhabited by very different people with different skin tones. People in Egypt past and present are not a "Broda" to somebody in Naija. Egypt past and present has close to nothing in common with Naija. An Igbo man cares about Igbo history and doesnt even give a bleep about Fulani history and vice versa not to talk of Egypt

An Igbo man can not go around and start claiming Fulani history as his own. Yorubas dont go around claiming Somalian history as their own. A Japanese cares about Japanese history not that of Malaysia. A Korean cares about Korean history not that of Vietnam

I dont blame the people doing this sha. Na identity crisis dey case am. Make dey carry their wahala go Egypt go collect wetin their "brodas" keep for them there if it is that important to them.
Re: Rehabilitating The Self Image Of The Black-man by birdman(m): 6:48am On Aug 17, 2010
You can never rise beyond your self image. Some of the posts here sound like eagles who have been thoroughly convinced, in their minds, that they are chickens. Thanks for posting Logic101
Re: Rehabilitating The Self Image Of The Black-man by logic101: 1:02pm On Aug 17, 2010
birdman:

You can never rise beyond your self image. Some of the posts here sound like eagles who have been thoroughly convinced, in their minds, that they are chickens. Thanks for posting Logic101
thanks
Re: Rehabilitating The Self Image Of The Black-man by tpiah: 3:46pm On Aug 17, 2010
anyone who is comfortable with their self image, whether eagle or chicken, na them sabi.

low self esteem and lack of common sense is here to stay.

cant put lipstick on a pig- it will remain a pig.
Re: Rehabilitating The Self Image Of The Black-man by Horus(m): 10:08am On Mar 14, 2011
[flash=450,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp8B6sCU6go&feature=related[/flash]

Splendid video and a Masterpiece. Please watch 100% of the video and know the facts.
Re: Rehabilitating The Self Image Of The Black-man by Nobody: 3:48am On Mar 16, 2011
sage said:

+100000000000000000000000000
These black Americans should quite spamming Nigerian websites with crap. If they think the ancient Egyptian are their "Brodas" and "Sistas" they are free to go about deceiving themselves.

Can't you just stop polluting this place with your ignorance? It stinks.

If they feel like talking about Egypt they can go start this  topic on an Egyptian forum so they can conversate with their "Brodas" and "Sistas". What a joke

Actually, the joke's on you.

For people that dont know this

Africa is a continent that has always been inhabited by very different people with different skin tones. People in Egypt past and present are not a "Broda" to somebody in Naija.

You are spewing rank ignorance. Tell us WHAT research you have done to reach your loud-mouthed conclusion. How familiar are you with archaeology, linguistics, African geology, ancient accounts, history of African migrations etc etc?

If you had even a basic knowledge of those fields in relation to Africa, you would not embarass yourself by making ignorant assertions here.

Egypt past and present has close to nothing in common with Naija.

You are wrong. Go and read Olumide Lucas' ''The Religion of the Yorubas''. I bet you've never even HEARD of the book and yet here you are, blabbing from your empty head.

An Igbo man cares about Igbo history and doesnt even give a bleep about Fulani history and vice versa not to talk of Egypt

We are not talking about what the average Igbo man ''cares about''. That in itself has no bearing on the topic in question.

An Igbo man can not go around and start claiming Fulani history as his own.

Historians and researchers trace the origins of groups presently settled in West Africa to ancient migrations from a once fertile Saharan region and from the Nile Valley, as well as East Africa. When you study the languages and culture of many African groups, they correlate extensively with ancient Nile valley cultures showing deep ancient contact. DNA shows migratory paths from north to south in antiquity. Hundreds of Igbo, Yoruba, Akan, Wolof words mean the exact same thing in the Ancient Egyptian language, 'Medu Neter' showing common origins. Many groups were forced southwards following foreign invasions from outside Africa, and many ethnic groups have traditions of having migrated from the north in ancient times. Many traditional griots in Nigeria can trace their ethnic groups migratory paths to thousands of years, and consider the Nile Valley roots irrefutable.

An Igbo man interested in his history may wish to extend his study all the way back to the Igbo migrations into their present location. Such research will eventually lead him to the north of the continent, and perhaps even beyond into the ''middle east'', an area that was once as African as Tanzania. All this is supported by history and genetics.
Re: Rehabilitating The Self Image Of The Black-man by PhysicsMHD(m): 4:59am On Mar 16, 2011
I'm not even an Afrocentrist, but there are some correspondences between some Nigerian cultures and Egypt; a few of which seem to not be coincidental.

Take this article for example:

http://www.jstor.org/stable/2794649?&Search=yes&searchText=Breastplate&searchText=Lagos&searchText=Ram-headed&searchText=Egyptian&searchText=Origin&list=hide&searchUri=%2Faction%2FdoBasicSearch%3FQuery%3DThe%2BEgyptian%2BOrigin%2Bof%2Ba%2BRam-headed%2BBreastplate%2Bfrom%2BLagos%26acc%3Don%26wc%3Don&prevSearch=&item=1&ttl=5&returnArticleService=showFullText

The Egyptian Origin of a Ram-Headed Breastplate from Lagos
G. A. Wainwright
Man, Vol. 51, (Oct., 1951), pp. 133-135

(in the article, it later explains that the Egyptian ram would be facing frontally rather than sideways if not for the Egyptian convention of depicting heads facing sideways not to indicate a pose, but just as a style of drawing)

I should point out that the same style of the ram headed breastplate can be seen on at least three Benin bronzes (such as on one of the pre-Portuguese bronzes depicting a figure with the ram pectoral on his wrapper) and on an Ife terracotta and that ancestral ram's heads are extremely prominent among the Edo (see "Ancestral Ram's heads of the Edo-Speaking Peoples"  http://www.jstor.org/stable/3334638?&Search=yes&searchText=Heads&searchText=Ram%27s&searchText=Peoples&searchText=Ancestral&searchText=Edo-Speaking&list=hide&searchUri=%2Faction%2FdoBasicSearch%3Facc%3Don%26Query%3DAncestral%2BRam%2527s%2BHeads%2Bof%2Bthe%2BEdo-Speaking%2BPeoples%26gw%3Djtx%26acc%3Don%26prq%3DThe%2BEgyptian%2BOrigin%2Bof%2Ba%2BRam-headed%2BBreastplate%2Bfrom%2BLagos%26Search%3DSearch%26hp%3D25%26wc%3Don%26acc%3Don&prevSearch=&item=1&ttl=9&returnArticleService=showFullText)

Moreover, rams are associated with Shango in Yoruba religion, so the Ifa deity Shango, which was known to have been an important deity to the Yoruba, and later to have been transmitted to the Edo, may have been derived from or have been another word for an Egyptian/Nubian deity.

There are some other possible similarities mentioned here:

http://egyptsearchreloaded.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=egyto&action=display&thread=27&page=2

http://onthehuman.org/2010/02/animalia-the-natural-world-art-and-theory/

http://asiapacificuniverse.com/pkm/afri.htm

http://www.mamiwata.com/egypt.html

Nothing concrete yet, but there are some startling similarities.
Re: Rehabilitating The Self Image Of The Black-man by Nobody: 4:59pm On Dec 14, 2012
Re: Rehabilitating The Self Image Of The Black-man by tpia5: 11:40pm On Jun 30, 2013
was any consensus reached?
Re: Rehabilitating The Self Image Of The Black-man by tpia5: 12:29am On Jul 01, 2013
MyJoe: ^^^
ehm. I think you are missing the whole point, ma'am. Subject matter is only important within a context. In this case, the claim that Africa has no history. Was David Hume and the other philosophers right to classify Africans as inferior human species, thus justifying the slave trade? That is the issue. It is not about wishing to be associated with pyramids or to marry Nefertiti. Today, Africans are at the bottom of the pile. The way forward lies in our hands, not that of Imhotep or Akhenaton.

good luck with that, keep hoping.

(1) (Reply)

Trump Rebukes Attacks On Christians In Nigeria, Demands Buhari Take Action / Spain Extends Human Rights To Gorillas And Chimpanzees / Malawian Women Protest After Attacks For Wearing Pants, Miniskirts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.