Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,080 members, 7,811,021 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:59 PM

Lagos Water Corporation Seeks Bill To Stop Borehole Sinking! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Water Corporation Seeks Bill To Stop Borehole Sinking! (3108 Views)

Osun Water Corporation Functioning In Ile-ife (photo) / Imo Privatises Water Corporation. / Lagos State Water Corporation Website (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Water Corporation Seeks Bill To Stop Borehole Sinking! by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jul 30, 2010
Was watching Tv today on Superscreen and overheard GM lagos water corporation Shayo holloway informing that they are seeking bill to stop Lagosians from sinking borehole 'in order to prevent water borne diseases'.
I find it very ironic, when all the govt taps are dry. Isnt that comedy?
Re: Lagos Water Corporation Seeks Bill To Stop Borehole Sinking! by mustafar1: 2:40pm On Jul 30, 2010
hehehehe
Re: Lagos Water Corporation Seeks Bill To Stop Borehole Sinking! by erniewhez(m): 2:47pm On Jul 30, 2010
dnt mind them, they havent said the truth. The issue is people are resolving to borehole because water works like Nepa is not reliable and they are loosing patronage. Thank God there's affordable alternative to their lapses unlike NEPA's.
Re: Lagos Water Corporation Seeks Bill To Stop Borehole Sinking! by babapupa: 3:12pm On Jul 30, 2010
erniewhez:

dnt mind them, they havent said the truth. The issue is people are resolving to borehole because water works like Nepa is not reliable and they are loosing patronage. Thank God there's affordable alternative to their lapses unlike NEPA's.

Though improving, the water situation is still not the best, but this is really about public safety. Many people are silently dying for drinking untreated water from boreholes. Untreated water from boreholes contains many harmful pathogens, lead and other dangerous chemicals and metals and many boreholes are dug in polluted areas close to septic tanks and sewage.

Just imagine boreholes in areas with illegal oil wells. The underground water in those areas are full of dangerous chemicals and cancer carbons.
Re: Lagos Water Corporation Seeks Bill To Stop Borehole Sinking! by Pamperme: 3:27pm On Jul 30, 2010
Awon oniranu. They should bring sand and cover the well in my house. Nonsense! we dont even have water corporation's water pipe not to talk of water. Nonsense angry angry
Re: Lagos Water Corporation Seeks Bill To Stop Borehole Sinking! by mustafar1: 3:38pm On Jul 30, 2010
babapupa, i understand all you have said. but how about areas of lagos that are not served by water corp? should they go waterless due to the ban. what i think the water corp can do is to have their people check and test water from boreholes at intervals. if they think its ok for use then they certify it ok and keep on moving but if they discover its not, they can either recommend water treatment solutionand require the owners to get them or if theres no remedy to filtering out the hazardous chemicals then they should shut the boreholes(but then that still would put those people in a sitaution where they dont have access to water which the borehole was meant to fix)
Re: Lagos Water Corporation Seeks Bill To Stop Borehole Sinking! by labalaba4: 3:44pm On Jul 30, 2010
Ultimately for these goons, it's all about money.

They want to start charging us for water they will not provide - water levy. I repeat, this is their roundabout way of taxing boreholes. Watch as they introduce a "Fit for consumption" certificate, for which they will charge an arm and a leg for every borehole in the state, as another means of raising more money to service all the GBESE that they have accumulated for the state.

The "certificate" will be their "compromise" position after all the expected hue and cry from the public.

I've told you people severally that AC are gangsters, una no gree. Some people here on this site, like Tpiah, Babapupa and Paddylo will continue to believe that the sun shines out of Fashola's rectum, even if he shits on them. My suspicion is that they and other Fashola supporters on this site DO NOT ACTUALLY LIVE IN LAGOS.

FASHOLA MUST GO, TO JAIL, ALONG WITH YEKINI AMODA OGUNLERE, A.K.A. BOLA AHMED TINUBU!!
Re: Lagos Water Corporation Seeks Bill To Stop Borehole Sinking! by Nobody: 3:47pm On Jul 30, 2010
Well, this was going to happen at some point.
Boreholes in the long term doesn't do environment any good.

I support the idea but like electricity, provide the water first then people will stop sinking boreholes.
Re: Lagos Water Corporation Seeks Bill To Stop Borehole Sinking! by labalaba4: 3:49pm On Jul 30, 2010
Pamperme:

Awon oniranu.  They should bring sand and cover the well in my house.  Nonsense! we dont even have water corporation's water pipe not to talk of water.  Nonsense  angry angry

Why are  you looking for their wahala

Don't you know that moving sand-sand to and fro is their speciality?? Look at Hitech, Tinubu's company in Lekki. Instead of expanding the road, they're just moving sand up and down to show people that they're working.

The LASU-Iba road nko? No be sand dem take cover running water, where a previous, more sensible government built a bridge?

Don't try them with sand o. That's right up their street.
Re: Lagos Water Corporation Seeks Bill To Stop Borehole Sinking! by babapupa: 4:30pm On Jul 30, 2010
How do you justify killing yourself because of other peoples inaction? Ignorance kills. Our undertable or ground water is not safe for human consumption and asking the gov to test every street in lagos sounds ridiculous, where are they going to get the man power an resources from?
must_a_far:

babapupa, i understand all you have said. but how about areas of lagos that are not served by water corp? should they go waterless due to the ban. what i think the water corp can do is to have their people check and test water from boreholes at intervals. if they think its ok for use then they certify it ok and keep on moving but if they discover its not, they can either recommend water treatment solutionand require the owners to get them or if theres no remedy to filtering out the hazardous chemicals then they should shut the boreholes(but then that still would put those people in a sitaution where they dont have access to water which the borehole was meant to fix)
Re: Lagos Water Corporation Seeks Bill To Stop Borehole Sinking! by rethink: 4:35pm On Jul 30, 2010
There was a time I said that it was very dangerous when we keep drilling borehole people here said all kinds of things. Well now we see that there is the working of the brains of the head.

The problem now is if the CITIZEN will SUPPORT.
Re: Lagos Water Corporation Seeks Bill To Stop Borehole Sinking! by mustafar1: 4:49pm On Jul 30, 2010
ok, how do they get water? by buying it?

it still falls back on the failure of govt. if our groundwater is not safe for consumption and the govt knew that or knows that. i then wonder what the government has done to ensure people dont sink boreholes as a source of water in the new areas of lagos that are just being developed if they cant immediately provide water for the already built areas.
Re: Lagos Water Corporation Seeks Bill To Stop Borehole Sinking! by stormm: 5:49pm On Jul 30, 2010
@babapupa

Can't understand you. Some of these boreholes were sunk by engineers of Lagos Water Corporation and other qualified water engineers. Most boreholes are regularly treated and fair enough the bulk of people living on the Island rely on water bought from tanker drivers gotten from the mainland. If the MD can now come to propose this trash, then I think he should go back to playing polo. He's obviously not in tune with reality.
Re: Lagos Water Corporation Seeks Bill To Stop Borehole Sinking! by erniewhez(m): 6:45pm On Jul 30, 2010
labalaba4:

They want to start charging us for water they will not provide - water levy. I repeat, this is their roundabout way of taxing boreholes. Watch as they introduce a "Fit for consumption" certificate, for which they will charge an arm and a leg for every borehole in the state, as another means of raising more money to service all the GBESE that they have accumulated for the state.

The "certificate" will be their "compromise" position after all the expected hue and cry from the public.

I've told you people severally that AC are gangsters, una no gree. Some people here on this site, like Tpiah, Babapupa and Paddylo will continue to believe that the sun shines out of Fashola's rectum, even if he shits on them. My suspicion is that they and other Fashola supporters on this site DO NOT ACTUALLY LIVE IN LAGOS.

FASHOLA MUST GO, TO JAIL, ALONG WITH YEKINI AMODA OGUNLERE, A.K.A. BOLA AHMED TINUBU!!

Why are you bringing politics into this, wont u useless PDP's leave AC alone? We lagosians says we are ok with Fashola Govt. which 1 be ur own? If u want to attack go and attack the MD of water works afterall they are still proposing for the edict Fashola hasnt approve it. Haba! EKO O NI BAJE, , O BAJE TI!
Re: Lagos Water Corporation Seeks Bill To Stop Borehole Sinking! by nobaga: 6:56pm On Jul 30, 2010
What part of you is Lagos. The part that is being screwed left right and center by Yekini Amoda Ogunlere of Iragbiji land? Comot make we hia word jo.

erniewhez:

Why are you bringing politics into this, wont u useless PDP's leave AC alone? We lagosians says we are ok with Fashola Govt. which 1 be your own? If u want to attack go and attack the MD of water works afterall they are still proposing for the edict Fashola hasnt approve it. Haba! EKO O NI BAJE, , O BAJE TI!
Re: Lagos Water Corporation Seeks Bill To Stop Borehole Sinking! by labalaba4: 7:09pm On Jul 30, 2010
erniewhez:

Why are you bringing politics into this, wont u useless PDP's leave AC alone? We lagosians says we are ok with Fashola Govt. which 1 be your own? If u want to attack go and attack the MD of water works afterall they are still proposing for the edict Fashola hasnt approve it. Haba! EKO O NI BAJE, , O BAJE TI!

Stupid buffoon like you, just because I'm telling the truth, I'm a PDP member, abi?? Ode buruku. For your information, I am not a member of PDP, but a Lagos State indigene who is fed up of all the blind hero worship of Fashola/Tinubu and the AZZ sucking that's going on around them, even though they're both just a couple of EVIL DOERS who have no plans for the people, only for their pockets.

If they're thinking of the people, why would they be proposing such a hare-brained edict when they KNOW they haven't been able to give the whole state water

What kind of BUFFOONS are these AC GANGSTERS SEF

1 Like

Re: Lagos Water Corporation Seeks Bill To Stop Borehole Sinking! by Ibime(m): 7:16pm On Jul 30, 2010
Dem dey craze. . . my pops made his living sinking boreholes, and the water is usually cleaner than the alternatives. . . anybody who doesnt like the quality of their water should simply boil and filtrate. . .
Re: Lagos Water Corporation Seeks Bill To Stop Borehole Sinking! by babapupa: 8:07pm On Jul 30, 2010
must_a_far:

ok, how do they get water? by buying it?

it still falls back on the failure of govt. if our groundwater is not safe for consumption and the govt knew that or knows that. i then wonder what the government has done to ensure people dont sink boreholes as a source of water in the new areas of lagos that are just being developed if they cant immediately provide water for the already built areas.

Why do we always act as if we don't really know what is going on? The state simply can not keep up with the infrastructural demands of 18 million people especially after decades of neglect. It's like asking the state to provide ready made amenities for the thousands of people trooping into Lagos state and still serve the 18 million folks it's saddled with.

It's not like the state is ignoring the water problem. The target for this year alone is to commission 15 water works around the state and they're almost done. They just commissioned Akute Power Project  (12.5 megawatts power station) to power Iju water works.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

The state's budget is only 2 billion dollars and out of that 2 billion , they have to maintain and pay the civil service and all state agencies, the teachers, roads, bridges, schools, hospitals and many more state obligations. 2 billion is obviously not enough to go around unless you are asking the state to keep taxing the same masses you're talking about till their infrastructural demands are met.

It doesn't even matter how hard they try, the sad truth is, the state doesn't have enough resources to take care of and provide stable needed amenities for 18 million people. Definitely not with 2 billion dollars annual budget. That's the sad reality,
Re: Lagos Water Corporation Seeks Bill To Stop Borehole Sinking! by Nobody: 8:30pm On Jul 30, 2010
are these guys for real? so where should lagosians get their water from? the erratic lagos water corp? lol, these clowns better know that water no be like electricity ohhhh!!!, you can survive with erratic electricity supply (PHCN) but you cant joke with water ohh, it is needed 24hrs for cooking, bathing, washing, toilets etc, abeg i no fit shout angry angry angry
Re: Lagos Water Corporation Seeks Bill To Stop Borehole Sinking! by Nobody: 8:32pm On Jul 30, 2010
No!!!! Monopoly will be easy with that kind of policy. The state can't provide water for everyone and the people sinking their own pumping machinery down there are really making more water available to those who can't afford it. Also this policy was once adopted in Argentina that led to a serious revolt. A law that won't allow people to dig their own boreholes will mean a company can choose to buy water resources in the state and put huge price on water which is a basic need for sustainable life. We all know how most government ran programs ends "PRIVATIZATION". This policy shouldn't be pursued at all. The people have the right to their own natural resources. This policy will support extreme capitalism in a state where capitalism is at it's all time high because the project will be ran by private companies who can put a price tag on what is required for people to survive. Capitalism should be on non natural resources that are not necessities of life not necessities of life especially natural necessity. This policy shouldn't be followed. People should be allowed to have their own boreholes if they can get clean water directly from the ground which they do.

What the government needs to do to ensure people don't get water born diseases is to make it a law for those with borehole to buy electronic water purifiers that sanitizes water before letting it to the tap. Cheapest and yet very effective is lime stone  (correct me if I'm wrong) it purifies water but turns it to hard water but makes it drinkable and usable. The government should also purify the ones they distribute to the public but ensure that a safe level of chlorine is used. Educating the public on how dumping wastes in gutters could conterminate our natural water supply will be a huge step too.

That policy is economical extreme and inhumane if pursued and will only enrich the pockets of those who can invest in water supply while the poor will die of the real waterborne disease (Scarcity and high price of water). Considering the inadequate government ran water supply we have in Lagos state, this policy should be discarded immediately!!

@Babapupa

Are you Lagosian? If you are please don't advocate for this policy. I support the new Lagos state government but not blindly. If you like Fashola's government fine but that doesn't mean you shouldn't analyze his policies or the policies of his government's agencies. Please critically reason with the people that are constructively stating why this policy shouldn't be followed. You know you have a reputation for blindly following Fashola right? Tone it down. I like his government too even after trying to confiscate our Family heritage land instead of renting it (He rented it later though), So chilll
Re: Lagos Water Corporation Seeks Bill To Stop Borehole Sinking! by wirinet(m): 8:33pm On Jul 30, 2010
babapupa:

Though improving, the water situation is still not the best, but this is really about public safety. Many people are silently dying for drinking untreated water from boreholes. Untreated water from boreholes contains many harmful pathogens, lead and other dangerous chemicals and metals and many boreholes  are dug in polluted areas close to septic tanks and sewage.

Just imagine boreholes in areas with illegal oil wells. The underground water in those areas are full of dangerous chemicals and cancer carbons.    

Babapupa, you and your Master must think lagosians are fools. All your excuses goes beyond ridiculous and borders on comedy.

How many people are dying of untreated water in LAGOS? Who gave out the statistics? Lagos State Govt? please provide us with a link to the source. Which of the water borne disease are Lagosians dying from? Cholera, river blindness? please let us know.

Yes, there are parts of Lagos, where the water is not portable but most professionals are aware of that, and provide for necessary treatments especially if the water is for consumption. And there are parts of Lagos like Ikorodu, where the bore hole water requires not treatment when it is taken straight from the ground. A test was conducted for me for a borehole i dug, by the LAGOS STATE WATER CORPORATION, and it was certified safe for consumption, pathogen free, lead free, and anything else free. So if you want people to stop sinking borehole, the most logical thing to do is to provide pipe borne water. For your information most poor Lagosians have no acess to any kind of water, and have to beg for water from people with boreholes, or buy from mallam. Is your Government able to provide piped borne water for 20million lagosians?

Areas with illegal oils wells? are we taking about Lagos or Niger Delta. If what you mean is people storing petroleum products in Wells, then you response should be to find and punish the culprits and not the victims. If you are not competent to find and punish people digging wells and storing petrol in them, then how are you going to punish hundreds of thousands of people with boreholes. A sane thing to do is to seek a law banning "illegal oil wells"

Is your ban also going to affect Pure Water and Bottled water companies? because almost all of them sell borehole water. What about some Lagos State Mini water works, like the one at Ikorodu, they pump water from boreholes.
Re: Lagos Water Corporation Seeks Bill To Stop Borehole Sinking! by wirinet(m): 8:40pm On Jul 30, 2010
I have another proposal for the Lagos state Govt. If the care so much about the health of Lagosians, they should seek a bill to ban the use of Generators. Generators are a major health hazard in Lagos, as so many has died from the poisonous fumes they emit, not to talk of the numerous fires it has caused. Then there is the environmental pollution from millions of generators.
Re: Lagos Water Corporation Seeks Bill To Stop Borehole Sinking! by Nobody: 8:48pm On Jul 30, 2010
wirinet:

I have another proposal for the Lagos state Govt. If the care so much about the health of Lagosians, they should seek a bill to ban the use of Generators. Generators are a major health hazard in Lagos, as so many has died from the poisonous fumes they emit, not to talk of the numerous fires it has caused. Then there is the environmental pollution from millions of generators.
What is this??
As long as there is abject/epilectic power supply in Nigeria and Lagos to be precise please go back to sleep.
Re: Lagos Water Corporation Seeks Bill To Stop Borehole Sinking! by blacksta(m): 8:58pm On Jul 30, 2010
Useless people - ban something without providing an alternative
Re: Lagos Water Corporation Seeks Bill To Stop Borehole Sinking! by babapupa: 9:19pm On Jul 30, 2010
9jaganja:

should be discarded immediately!!

@Babapupa

Are you Lagosian? If you are please don't advocate for this policy. I support the new Lagos state government but not blindly. If you like Fashola's government fine but that doesn't mean you shouldn't analyze his policies or the policies of his government's agencies. Please critically reason with the people that are constructively stating why this policy shouldn't be followed. You know you have a reputation for blindly following Fashola right? Tone it down. I like his government too even after trying to confiscate our Family heritage land instead of renting it (He rented it later though),  So chilll

I really can not help you with the conspiracy theories about the government. But what's obvious safety concerns got to do with Following Fashola blindly? Is it not common sense that you need to test and evaluate before you drill and even after drilling, you can not consume the water without proper treatment? oDo you really need statistics to show that people are dying because of bad and untreated water in Lagos state? Are you for real or you're just joking?

Do you even know the dangerous consequences of depletion of underground water due to reckless and excessive drilling? Do you really need to follow the government blindly to figure that out?

No need to get ahead of ourselves abeg,
Re: Lagos Water Corporation Seeks Bill To Stop Borehole Sinking! by DisGuy: 9:52pm On Jul 30, 2010
Is it not common sense that you need to test and evaluate before you drill and even after drilling, you can not consume the water without proper treatment? oDo you really need statistics to show that people are dying because of bad and untreated water in Lagos state? Are you for real or you're just joking?

Well instead of banning, how about the govt requiring people to produce a certificate of some sort for boreholes drilled in new developments of areas with specific problems

I thought access to clean water was an issue of Human Right, you cant ban people from helping themselves when you are not yet providing an alternative, the govt can make borehole drillers get certificate for every well they drill just like construction companies employing qualified Building engineers
Re: Lagos Water Corporation Seeks Bill To Stop Borehole Sinking! by Nobody: 10:16pm On Jul 30, 2010
infidelguy:

are these guys for real? so where should lagosians get their water from? the erratic lagos water corp? lol, these clowns better know that water no be like electricity ohhhh!!!, you can survive with erratic electricity supply (PHCN) but you cant joke with water ohh, it is needed 24hrs for cooking, bathing, washing, toilets etc, abeg i no fit shout angry angry angry
this says it all, water is life, and i wonder why Fashola would even dabble into such an imagination.
Jakande spent just four years in Govt.and we have evidence of all the low cost house sprawled all around lagos within that short span. How many low cost houses has he built so far? instead he is setting up 3 toll gates at Lekki, Eko o ni baje- ju bayi lo.
Re: Lagos Water Corporation Seeks Bill To Stop Borehole Sinking! by Nobody: 10:20pm On Jul 30, 2010
babapupa:

I really can not help you with the conspiracy theories about the government. But what's obvious safety concerns got to do with Following Fashola blindly? Is it not common sense that you need to test and evaluate before you drill and even after drilling, you can not consume the water without proper treatment? oDo you really need statistics to show that people are dying because of bad and untreated water in Lagos state? Are you for real or you're just joking?

Do you even know the dangerous consequences of depletion of underground water due to reckless and excessive drilling? Do you really need to follow the government blindly to figure that out?

No need to get ahead of ourselves abeg, 

But do you know the danger of lack of water? It goes both ways man!!

Why isn't the policy to be that people should provide certificates of water safety before drilling? The same amount of water used when people drill will be the same amount needed when they don't so really you have no point on that one. If you want to talk about physical damage to earth, I don't think they cause as much damage as vibrating one that will be stationed in different locations of Lagos will. There is nothing like excessive drilling causing shortage etc,  because people drill because they need access to natural water. Nothing reckless in that. Don't try to use rhetorical power of statements with me, cause I deal with it's logical significance instead. People don't drill because they want to waste water do they? so you point really doesn't hold!!!

What do you mean conspiracy theory? It's a fact that if the government makes it illegal for people to drill for water in Lagos, they will need private investors to meet demands and that will lead to price regulation by those private investors!! You come off as weak today Pupa.
Re: Lagos Water Corporation Seeks Bill To Stop Borehole Sinking! by Mariory(m): 2:22am On Jul 31, 2010
I have a question for all those fighting. Do you guys even know the actual contents of the so called "bill"? How do you all know what valacious said is the truth? I havn't seen this news anywhere apart from this thread. Funny lot you guys are.
Re: Lagos Water Corporation Seeks Bill To Stop Borehole Sinking! by maree7(f): 2:39am On Jul 31, 2010
Mariory:

I have a question for all those fighting. Do you guys even know the actual contents of the so called "bill"? How do you all know what valacious said is the truth? I havn't seen this news anywhere apart from this thread. Funny lot you guys are.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH. . .

There is no source of this news and people are over here falling on their faces "over an imagenary bill ". . .And who said there would be no provision of water if such "bill" were to be passed. DANG YOU GUYS ARE ADDICTED TO NEGATIVE DRAMA . . .

babapupa:

It's not like the state is ignoring the water problem. The target for this year alone is to commission 15 water works around the state and they're almost done. They just commissioned Akute Power Project  (12.5 megawatts power station) to power Iju water works.                                                                                                             

lol. . .  I  thought I was the only one who heard about this . .  cheesy
Re: Lagos Water Corporation Seeks Bill To Stop Borehole Sinking! by Nobody: 9:34am On Jul 31, 2010
Mariory:

@mariory,
just because you havent seen this news doesnt give you room to discredit or false it, and i wouldnt raise a topic out of my imagination.

I saw this on Supercreen yesterday,and heard the Gm water corporation seeking a bill to stop borehole sinking, am only doing my little part creating awareness for something i feel affects a large majority of lagosians, water is life my broda!
Re: Lagos Water Corporation Seeks Bill To Stop Borehole Sinking! by labalaba4: 10:30am On Jul 31, 2010
labalaba4:

Here comes that fall back position I alluded to earlier. These people are so predictable!!

Dis Guy:

Well instead of banning, how about the govt requiring people to produce a certificate of some sort for boreholes drilled in new developments of areas with specific problems

I thought access to clean water was an issue of Human Right, you cant ban people from helping themselves when you are not yet providing an alternative, the govt can make borehole drillers get certificate for every well they drill just like construction companies employing qualified Building engineers

That's where they were going all along. Just so people can pay for those certificates - through the nose, of course. Infrastructure Development Fee, anyone?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hizbolla In Nigeria (pictures) / Why Should We Vote President Jonathan? / Naira Don Scatter O: N213 To 1 Dollar And N314 To 1 Pound - Kilo De?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.