Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,482 members, 7,854,089 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 10:38 AM

Protesters Stop Senators Adeyeye & Baba-Kaita From Entering National Assembly - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Protesters Stop Senators Adeyeye & Baba-Kaita From Entering National Assembly (20892 Views)

How Fearless And Courageous Women Stopped Tinubu From Entering National Assembly / Ahmad Babba Kaita Dumps APC For PDP / Senator Ahmad Babba Kaita Booed, Chased Away From Wedding In Katsina (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Protesters Stop Senators Adeyeye & Baba-Kaita From Entering National Assembly by seguno2: 1:44pm On Dec 04, 2018
helinues:
These senators are useless

Upon all the budget padding
Constituency money
Jumbo salary
Bogus contract

Yet, you can't pay your staffs.. Shame on you all

Is it not the lifeless one who padded the budget with billions for the Aso Rock clinic more than all Teaching hospitals combined yet has no paracetamol such that he is always going to London for treatment after banning government officials from doing the same?
Do you know what you are talking about
Re: Protesters Stop Senators Adeyeye & Baba-Kaita From Entering National Assembly by seguno2: 1:48pm On Dec 04, 2018
For budget padding, the lifeless one is the sai baboon.

agwom:
Despite the N3.87bn allocated to it in the 2016 Appropriation Act, lack of drugs and other essential medical items have crippled operations at the State House Medical Centre, The PUNCH has learnt.

The centre provides medical services to the President, Vice-President and their families, aides, members of staff of the State House and other entitled public servants.

It is also a training facility for house officers and other medical personnel.

Investigations by our correspondent showed that the centre located in Asokoro, a highbrow area of the Federal Capital Territory, is gradually becoming a shadow of its old self.

A cross-section of the centre’s patients told The PUNCH that patients were now being asked to go and buy drugs from outside as they were no longer available in the centre.

Most hit, it was further learnt, are patients with kidney problems who are currently undergoing dialysis in the facility.

Although, some of them are expected to be undergoing the dialysis at least twice a week, the centre’s management has been cancelling such exercise lately, therefore putting the lives of the patients at risk.

In some instances when they attend to them, the patients are made to come with some of the items the doctors will use for the exercise.

Our correspondent learnt that the centre’s management had resorted to sending text messages to patients on items they should bring for their treatment.

In one of such messages sent to a patient which is in The PUNCH’s possession, the management wrote, “Mr. Bleep (names withheld), when u (sic) are coming for dialysis on Monday, buy IVF Normal Saline to be used for ur (sic) dialysis. The office doesn’t have it. Buy like four pieces.”

Normal Saline IVF solution is used in the treatment, control, prevention and improvement of conditions such as low sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium levels as well as blood and fluid loss.

It improves the patients’ condition by maintaining proper fluid balance and keeping the tissues hydrated.

Another patient who spoke with our correspondent said he had a crisis recently because the centre cancelled his routine dialysis.

He said the centre’s management cancelled the session because of non-availability of bloodline.

He showed our correspondent a message sent to him on the cancellation.

The message read, “Gudevening (sic), we can’t dialize (sic) you tomorrow because we don’t have bloodline. When it is available, I will get back to you. Pls (sic) dialyse (sic) somewhere else. Thanks.”

The patient said the first time the session was cancelled, he was referred to a private hospital in Garki where he paid N20,000.

He added that when he could not afford the cost the second time, he was directed to another hospital in Wuse.

“As a result of the stress I passed through, by the time I returned home, I was very weak. My health situation deteriorated midnight and my people rushed me to the hospital. I was discharged about three days after,” he said.

Many other patients who spoke with our correspondent said the medical centre could no longer boast of “ordinary malaria drugs.”

“The clinic does not even have ordinary paracetamol. Paracetamol was included in the list of drugs they asked me to go and buy recently. Before now, they were giving us drugs.” another patient said.

The Minister of Health, Prof. Isaac Adewole, did not pick his calls when our correspondent attempted to get his reaction on Tuesday.

He also did not respond to a text message sent to him on the issue.

The Permanent Secretary, State House, Alhaji Jalal Arabi, had while defending the State House’s budget before the Senate Committee on Federal Character and Inter-governmental Affairs, and members of the House of Representatives Committee on Special Duties disclosed that N3.2bn of the budget was earmarked for the upgrade of State House Clinic to a Centre of Excellence.

Arabi had said, “The budget for the State House Medical Centre included N3.219bn proposed for the completion of ongoing work as well as procurement of drugs and other medical equipment.

“The Medical Centre provides health care treatment for the President and Vice-President, their families as well as numerous civil servants working in the State House and across the Ministries, Departments and Agencies of government and of course, with due respect, including parliamentarians and members of the legislature in addition to other notable dignitaries.

“Interestingly, Mr. Chairman, on a lighter note, not only those that have been captured here attend (the Medical Centre) there are poor of the poorest that attend because we receive reference from Gwagwalada, Garki, Wuse hospitals.

“So, if they come, we attend to them and interestingly too at no fee at all, we don’t charge.

“The anticipated improvement of the Medical Centre will propel it to serve as a Centre of Excellence and also reduce medical tourism.

“May I also add that the State House Medical Centre, unlike other medical centres does not charge any fees for its services and hence does not generate any revenue for itself.

http://punchng.com/drug-scarcity-hits-aso-rock-clinic-despite-n3-87bn-budget/
Re: Protesters Stop Senators Adeyeye & Baba-Kaita From Entering National Assembly by LaniXmen: 1:49pm On Dec 04, 2018
Re: Protesters Stop Senators Adeyeye & Baba-Kaita From Entering National Assembly by helinues: 2:01pm On Dec 04, 2018
seguno2:

Is it not the lifeless one who padded the budget with billions for the Aso Rock clinic more than all Teaching hospitals combined yet has no paracetamol such that he is always going to London for treatment after banning government officials from doing the same?
Do you know what you are talking about

Read and comprehend before jumping on a thread.. Is it aso rock staffs that are protesting?
What does aso rock clinic got to do with this?

1 Like

Re: Protesters Stop Senators Adeyeye & Baba-Kaita From Entering National Assembly by eeewise(m): 5:03pm On Dec 04, 2018
Re: Protesters Stop Senators Adeyeye & Baba-Kaita From Entering National Assembly by eeewise(m): 5:04pm On Dec 04, 2018
SUBSCRIBE LOGIN

Toggle navigation

News
NASS workers’ strike threat: CNA explains delay in implementation of 28% salary increment
by KEHINDE AKINTOLA, Abuja
December 4, 2018 | 2:56 pm
| | | Start Conversation

Related Story: NASS staff shut down National Assembly over poor condition of service

Sani Omolori, Clerk of the National Assembly (CNA) on Monday urged the leadership of Parliamentary Staff Association of Nigeria (PASAN) to immediately call-off the proposed picketing and strike action over delay in teh payment of 28 percent salary increase.

Omolori gave the charge via a letter addressed to Chairman, Parliamentary Staff Association of Nigeria (PASAN) titled: Re: Notice of picketing/strike rising from the resolutions of congress meetings of the PASAN, National Assembly Service Commission and National Assembly Chapters’ with Ref. No: NASS/CNA/149/Vol.6/75 dated 3rd December, 2018 seen by BusinessDay.

The National Assembly accounting officer who blamed the non-implementation of the 28% increment on paucity of funds, urged the workers to continue to engage the Management of the National Assembly on all issues raised in the letter sent to the Senate President Bukola Saraki and Yakubu Dogara, Speaker of the House of Representatives.

He observed that the letter written by PASAN dated 29th November, 2018 as it relates to the ‘payment of 28% increase in CONLESS’ falls under the purview of Management rather than the Presiding Officers of the National Assembly.

“Following Staff agitations on the above subject, I empaneled a Committee made up of representatives of Management and PASAN to study, review and advise on the way forward. The Report of the Committee was submitted to me in June, 2018 and the recommendations were thoroughly discussed jointly by the PASAN and Management. Eventually, the Management and Leadership of the National Assembly acceded to the bargain of PASAN that 28% additional CONLESS should be implemented with effect from January, 2018.

“In furtherance of the above, the Presiding Officers, in an unprecedented manner, made provision for the implementation of the 28% CONLESS increase in the 2018 Budget, and this was to be paid from the additional funds earmarked for the National Assembly in 2018.
Unfortunately, the level of implementation of the 2018 budget, in terms of release of funds, has made it impossible to pay this additional 28%. This situation has been well discussed, and I am aware that PASAN Officials have investigated and verified this fact from the Federal Ministry of Finance.

“Accordingly, any insistence on immediate implementation of this increase, without funding from the Federation Account, is highly unrealistic and non-feasible. Of course, Management will not hesitate to pay as soon as funds are available. Once again, we appeal to PASAN and all Staff to exercise patience while we pursue this matter to a logical conclusion,” the letter read.

On the non-release of some promotion letters, upgrading, conversion and other establishment matters, Omolori argued that “no administration in the history of the National Assembly has been more proactive than the present one, in creating opportunities for career growth and addressing the challenges of stagnation.

“Today, the bureaucracy of the National Assembly has exponentially expanded. We now have 13 Offices/Directorates as well as 67 Departments. The process is ongoing to create additional Divisions and Units. However, it is a service-wide Rule that you cannot promote Officers into non-existent vacancies.

“It is also important to clarify that promotion letters of Officers who passed the 2018 Promotion Examinations have not been withheld by my Office. Indeed, all promotion letters for 2018 submitted to my Office by the National Assembly Service Commission (NASC) have been released to the beneficiaries, except in cases where there are issues. Management is still liaising with the Commission to reconcile these grey areas.

“Altogether, 589 letters for promotion, conversion and upgrading were sent by the Commission to my Office. Out of this number, 491 were released as at 28th August, 2018; 15 more were released on 28th September, 2018; another 39 on 7th November, 2018; and additional 17 letters on 27th November, 2018.

“Thus far, 27 letters have pending issues that needed clarifications. These issues include: Promotion into non-existent vacancies (that were not declared by the National Assembly in the first place); Conversion of Staff to other Cadres in breach of extant guidelines approved by the National Assembly Service Commission; Wrong effective dates of promotion and/or conversion; Suspicious career progression records; and Questions concerning consultancy cadre; etc.

“It is clear from the foregoing that, in line with age-long Guidelines, Management will not promote Officers into non-existent vacancies or posts nor upgrade Officers without additional
academic/professional qualifications and vacancies. Similarly, Management will not engage in conversion of Officers to other cadres in breach of extant Guidelines.

“Indeed, I need to inform you that Management is investigating the circumstances under which these breaches occurred,” the CNA explained.

On the Conditions of Service, Omolori observed that the “initiative to review the Conditions of Service is actually an idea conceived and dutifully pursued by the Management of the National Assembly. We are grateful that the last National Assembly Commission graciously adopted most of our recommendations, and forwarded same in July 2018 to the Presiding Officers for further legislative action. Recall that PASAN participated in all discussions about the Conditions of Service and most of the recommendations adopted were proposed by PASAN.

“We are also sensitive to the fact that, the implementation of the document requires huge financial cost and hence, the need to be deliberate and painstaking in processing it. The Leadership of the National Assembly deserves commendation rather than condemnation or confrontation for referring this document to its relevant organs to study and report back. Please, let us not do anything to ruin or jeopardize the confidence and support that Management and Staff currently enjoy from the Leadership.

“At this juncture, it is necessary to place on record, some issues of concern that are discernible from all actions and write-ups by PASAN as a Body, (as well as a few Staff acting under the umbrella of PASAN or acting alone), that are clear breaches of Service Rules and which tend to send wrong signals. In our determination to maintain\ very cordial relationship with PASAN, Management has bent backwards on a number of occasions to accommodate and explain all issues raised, even when such issues are the prerogative of Management. We hope that this does not give a wrong impression.

“For instance, the present letter to the Leadership of the National Assembly was written on Thursday, 29th November, 2018 and delivered on Friday, 30th November, 2018. Management obtained a copy today (Monday, 3rd December, 2018). Either of these two instances gave less than 24 working hours’ notice to picket and embark on strike. This is, to say the least, a bad example of industrial relations.

“Furthermore, in the above cited letter, you complained that your previous letters to Presiding Officers (dated 5th January and 8th September, 2018) were neither acknowledged nor acted upon. It is clear to me that you have consistently breached the channel of communication in the previous and instant cases. May I remind you that, you are first and foremost Civil Servants before being Trade Union Officials.

“It is therefore important that, under each and every circumstance, you must follow the established channels of communication. My advice is that, henceforth, all communications to the Presiding Officers should be routed through my Office, via the Secretary, Human Resources and Staff Development.

“Let me therefore, state as follows: your determination to embark on an industrial action by all means, without exhausting the options available to you is uncalled for, as picketing and strike action should be the last resort instead of the first in industrial relations; the Management of the National Assembly under my watch has established an open channel for interfacing with PASAN and we expect PASAN to utilize this channel always and reciprocate this gesture; some of the issues raised in your notice are already receiving the attention of the National Assembly Leadership; and promotion to the next salary grade level and rank is a privilege to deserving Staff who have fulfilled all conditions precedent.

“Accordingly, Management is not withholding any letters but actually investigating breaches to established Guidelines for Promotion, Upgrading and Conversion of Officers. In the light of the foregoing, I wish to use this medium to request PASAN Exco to immediately: call off the proposed picketing and strike action; and continue to engage the Management of the National Assembly on all issues raised in their above cited letter,” he urged.

KEHINDE AKINTOLA, Abuja

Tags: national assembly
by KEHINDE AKINTOLA, Abuja
December 4, 2018 | 2:56 pm
| | | Start Conversation

Latest |
Editorial

Rotimi Amaechi should take the blame for failure of rail concession
It is no longer news that the global infrastructure giant General Electric has pulled out of the concession arrangement to...

Top Stories
Nigeria’s economy is over-regulated, says NECA
Economy December 4, 2018
Challenge of high interest rate and how to fix it
Economy December 4, 2018
Nations must cooperate to tackle climate change, Buhari
Economy December 3, 2018
BRIU

Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Name *

Email *

Comment

News
© BUSINESSDAYONLINE 2018.
Having Issues ?
Re: Protesters Stop Senators Adeyeye & Baba-Kaita From Entering National Assembly by eeewise(m): 5:15pm On Dec 04, 2018
the presiding officers made provision for the increased salary in the 2018/budget

they are protesting for d differential in d consolidated increase in their salary not their salaries

the ministry of finance is responsible for payment of national assembly staff salary

the management of national assembly is different from presiding officers

Nigerians sha smh
Re: Protesters Stop Senators Adeyeye & Baba-Kaita From Entering National Assembly by chinedumoooo: 5:16pm On Dec 04, 2018
The problem of this country are the senators there are only interested in their jumbo salaries and allowance without any tangible law that will promote the country.
Re: Protesters Stop Senators Adeyeye & Baba-Kaita From Entering National Assembly by slimfit1(m): 5:37pm On Dec 04, 2018
Any party Saraki is in don't have good intentions be warned.
Re: Protesters Stop Senators Adeyeye & Baba-Kaita From Entering National Assembly by deomelo: 5:40pm On Dec 04, 2018

Worthless looting and stealing PDP clowns, they want to rule Nigeria, but they can not pay workers salary, even with all the billions and undisclosed NASS budget, they still can not pay their workers.

The looters don loot every kobo.

Saraki, AthiefKUlooter and their PDP looting and stealing PDP gang
Re: Protesters Stop Senators Adeyeye & Baba-Kaita From Entering National Assembly by abduljabbar4(m): 6:03pm On Dec 04, 2018
FriendNG:

For your mind.

Well done sir. Sorry for the last two days. My phone screen was destroyed
Re: Protesters Stop Senators Adeyeye & Baba-Kaita From Entering National Assembly by IbrahimDamola: 10:14pm On Dec 04, 2018
Jibrin booharri, pay workers their money.
Re: Protesters Stop Senators Adeyeye & Baba-Kaita From Entering National Assembly by FriendNG: 10:22pm On Dec 04, 2018
abduljabbar4:

Well done sir. Sorry for the last two days. My phone screen was destroyed

I salute you. How are you doing. Allah yakiyaye gaba.
Re: Protesters Stop Senators Adeyeye & Baba-Kaita From Entering National Assembly by abduljabbar4(m): 3:16pm On Dec 05, 2018
FriendNG:

I salute you. How are you doing. Allah yakiyaye gaba.
Ameen ameen

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Military Bombard Bandits In North-West, North-Central Forests / Senate Presidency: APC To Settle For Akpabio, Tips N-west For Deputy - Vanguard / Bukola Saraki Escape Being Lynched By Angry Youths

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.