Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,504 members, 7,830,517 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 12:50 AM

INEC Adopts Card Readers, Rules Out Electronic Results Transmission - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / INEC Adopts Card Readers, Rules Out Electronic Results Transmission (18720 Views)

Court Ruled In January That INEC Can Use Any Method For Results Transmission / INEC Rules Out Electronic Voting Until Constitution Is Amended / Buhari’s Lawyer To Play Video Of INEC Chair Ruling Out Electronic Transmission (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

INEC Adopts Card Readers, Rules Out Electronic Results Transmission by agwom(m): 6:27am On Dec 11, 2018
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) will use card readers during the 2019 general elections but ruled out the electronic transmission of results.

This is coming days after President Muhammadu Buhari’s rejection of the Electoral Act amendment bill sent to him by the National Assembly.

However, INEC chairman Prof ‎Mahmud Yakubu said the commission would deploy card readers in every polling unit in the country just as it did in 2015.

Yakubu, who spoke during the public hearing on the menace of vote buying and improving the country’s electoral processes, said the commission had finished all preparations towards the use of the card reader.

The public hearing was organised by the joint National Assembly committee on electoral matters and political parties’ affairs jointly chaired by Sen Suleiman Nazif Gamawa (PDP, Bauchi) and Rep Aishatu Jibril Dukku (APC, Gombe) respectively. However, the INEC chairman said the commission was yet to configure the card readers to match specific polling units, noting that INEC will do that in the coming weeks.

Responding to questions from some senators and stakeholders, Prof Yakubu said: “For those talking about whether INEC would use card reader during the 2019 elections or not, I want to assure that INEC will deploy card reader in every polling unit in the country.

“This is an assurance from the commission, and we are ever ready to do that, although we are yet to configure the card readers to match every polling unit.”

‎Senate President Bukola Saraki, had while declaring the hearing open, urged INEC, security agencies and other stakeholders to ensure free, fair and credible polls in 2019.

He said INEC should improve on the unprecedented record it set during the 2015 elections, pointing out vote buying is currently one of the most disturbing challenges of Nigeria’s political process.

The joint committee chairmen, Gamawa and Dukku said the public hearing was organised to give Nigerians an opportunity to suggest possible ways of tackling vote buying.

Disquiet over electronic transmission of results

But Daily Trust reports that beyond the issue of card reader, the leadership of the two chambers of the National Assembly, led by Senate President Bukola Saraki and Speaker Yakubu Dogara, with acting support of the leadership of the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) want the amended Electoral Act assented to so that other issues including electronic transmission of results would be backed by law and therefore mandatory.

It was gathered that the PDP leaders had at a recent meeting with other stakeholders in the electoral process expressed fears that besides the reasons given by President Muhammadu Buhari for not assenting to the Electoral Act amendment, the Presidency and the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) do not want the new electoral act for now simply because they have perfected plans to rig the 2019 elections.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/inec-adopts-card-readers-rules-out-electronic-results-transmission.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: INEC Adopts Card Readers, Rules Out Electronic Results Transmission by Ahmed0336(m): 6:32am On Dec 11, 2018
They must transmit results electronically o.

I no go suffer go vote

Then some hediots will hijack ballot papers after I must have suffered. undecided

Issue of incident form need to be addressed

79 Likes 7 Shares

Re: INEC Adopts Card Readers, Rules Out Electronic Results Transmission by Ahmed0336(m): 6:33am On Dec 11, 2018
Sai Baba

grin

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: INEC Adopts Card Readers, Rules Out Electronic Results Transmission by Luciferdevil2(m): 6:36am On Dec 11, 2018
We didn't expect anything other than this result.
Re: INEC Adopts Card Readers, Rules Out Electronic Results Transmission by Luciferdevil2(m): 6:37am On Dec 11, 2018
Weldone Jubrin, your brothers that you positioned in every agencies are working day and night for your re-election.
I blame Jonathan for being a weakling in the name of a Democrat and a man of peace.
Infact, the southern men and women are weaklings, wish I was born in the North.

64 Likes 10 Shares

Re: INEC Adopts Card Readers, Rules Out Electronic Results Transmission by Corrinthians(m): 6:38am On Dec 11, 2018
And ladies and gentlemen, that was how PDP's plans to rig were shattered, and the Russians made away with billions for doing Nada!!. cheesy

45 Likes 10 Shares

Re: INEC Adopts Card Readers, Rules Out Electronic Results Transmission by Riversides2003(m): 6:40am On Dec 11, 2018
Millions of people will be disenfranchised in 2019.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: INEC Adopts Card Readers, Rules Out Electronic Results Transmission by aolawale025: 6:40am On Dec 11, 2018
Good development.
Voters should be strictly those with verifiable cards

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: INEC Adopts Card Readers, Rules Out Electronic Results Transmission by Richdad50(m): 6:40am On Dec 11, 2018
Nothing can ever surpass the WILL OF THE PEOPLE. Pres. Buhari may win but he will not rule up to a year.

Nigeria's biggest problem is Rural North. They have sworn to purnish the urban voters and social media ethusiasts who mock them daily.

The opposition will have to find an in-road into this group. Very hard but possible.

#Richdad

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: INEC Adopts Card Readers, Rules Out Electronic Results Transmission by gratiaeo(m): 6:40am On Dec 11, 2018
What have Buhari and APC done to improve Nigeria democracy since 2015. Why are they afraid of change

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: INEC Adopts Card Readers, Rules Out Electronic Results Transmission by anambraamaka: 6:44am On Dec 11, 2018
Whatever
Re: INEC Adopts Card Readers, Rules Out Electronic Results Transmission by Richeiboy(m): 6:45am On Dec 11, 2018
I no be Dangote or Adeleke but I go de ok ooh
Re: INEC Adopts Card Readers, Rules Out Electronic Results Transmission by kahal29: 6:45am On Dec 11, 2018
chai..... but where the card reader fails, incidence forms and manual verification will be used since according to Supreme court judgment in the case of Wike vs Peterside, Umanna vs Udom Emmanuel and Okezie Ikpeazu vs Alex Otii, it is recognized by the electoral act while the card reader is not. Anything short of that will amount to illegality and disenfranchisement of legitimate voters.

2 Likes

Re: INEC Adopts Card Readers, Rules Out Electronic Results Transmission by chinavs9ja(m): 6:45am On Dec 11, 2018
I am a web designer and writer, check my signature for my contact
Re: INEC Adopts Card Readers, Rules Out Electronic Results Transmission by madridguy(m): 6:45am On Dec 11, 2018
The Satanic Umbrella terrorist group will not be happy with this news.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: INEC Adopts Card Readers, Rules Out Electronic Results Transmission by LibertyRep: 6:46am On Dec 11, 2018
What happens when a card reader fails? Will INEC not return to manual accreditation?

Was that not what brought about the fictitious 13.5 million votes?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: INEC Adopts Card Readers, Rules Out Electronic Results Transmission by davodyguy: 6:46am On Dec 11, 2018
Luciferdevil2:
Weldone Jubrin, your brothers that you positioned in every agencies are working day and night for your re-election.
I blame Jonathan for being a weakling in the name of a Democrat and a man of peace.
You don't need to tell us you're Igbo. By their posts we shall know them. Jubrin that till death you've no scientific proof he's impersonating buhari.

Continue to wallow in ignorance.

Kanu was released from prison, Army went for python dance, Kanu disappeared, and most of you said he was dead. More than a year later, he reappeared. None of you said he's Peter from Jerusalem, you believed him instantly. Same should apply to Buhari, by just common sense. He was sick and was in UK for months. It's not even up to a year like Kanu disappeared. But in less than 6 months, they were able to clone Buhari? Wow. Such a pathetic thinking. But for more than one year, they couldn't clone Kanu.

It's just shows that only fools who have no brain believe Nnamdi Kanu

15 Likes 6 Shares

Re: INEC Adopts Card Readers, Rules Out Electronic Results Transmission by dokie: 6:46am On Dec 11, 2018
Except I'm missing something but I don't think the issue is about deploying card readers, rather it is about ensuring that incidence forms are not used when card readers fail. So that we dont have somebody win with 5m votes from Kano but only 1m of the voters were accredited through card readers.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: INEC Adopts Card Readers, Rules Out Electronic Results Transmission by Nobody: 6:47am On Dec 11, 2018
God will save Nigeria don't lose hope
Re: INEC Adopts Card Readers, Rules Out Electronic Results Transmission by IkemChris(m): 6:47am On Dec 11, 2018
So they don't want electronic method so that they can continue their manipulation? Ok oooooo. Na run I dey wait to run from this country
Re: INEC Adopts Card Readers, Rules Out Electronic Results Transmission by emmabest2000(m): 6:47am On Dec 11, 2018
Electronic trans..... what ?

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: INEC Adopts Card Readers, Rules Out Electronic Results Transmission by Realdeals(m): 6:48am On Dec 11, 2018
He's quite on the use of incident form, that's one of the KOKO!
Re: INEC Adopts Card Readers, Rules Out Electronic Results Transmission by BenzEne1(m): 6:49am On Dec 11, 2018
Luciferdevil2:

So Jonathan should have done what ?

7 Likes

Re: INEC Adopts Card Readers, Rules Out Electronic Results Transmission by ArmaniUhuru: 6:49am On Dec 11, 2018
All apc plans to rig this coming elections will fail. They’re so afraid, and are hellbent on rigging. They want to use the card readers so they can Rig like they did in 2015. Useless party with blind supporters.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: INEC Adopts Card Readers, Rules Out Electronic Results Transmission by Luciferdevil2(m): 6:50am On Dec 11, 2018
davodyguy:

You don't need to tell us you're Igbo. By their posts we shall know them. Jubrin that till death you've no scientific proof he's impersonating buhari
Lol, listen boy I'm a full-blooded igbo man and I have never in a way lied about my identity. I even write in my mother tongue here.
Igbos are not afonjas that deny their identities to bash people here. I'm a proud Igbo boy, take it to the bank boy.

15 Likes 5 Shares

Re: INEC Adopts Card Readers, Rules Out Electronic Results Transmission by Amumaigwe: 6:51am On Dec 11, 2018
davodyguy:

You don't need to tell us you're Igbo. By their posts we shall know them. Jubrin that till death you've no scientific proof he's impersonating buhari

Very easy scientific proof: Let 'Buhari' remove his cap.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: INEC Adopts Card Readers, Rules Out Electronic Results Transmission by PassingShot(m): 6:51am On Dec 11, 2018
Corrinthians:
And ladies and gentlemen, that was how PDP's plans to rig were shattered. cheesy

PMB is wiser than all of PDP bigwigs put together.

grin grin grin

8 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

IPOB Calls For Sit-at-home In Benue, Adamawa, Kaduna / Kidnappings: Are Praying For You - Pastor Adeboye To Gov. El-Rufai / Gunmen Kidnap 4 Chinese Railway Workers In Ogun, Kill Policeman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.