Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,847 members, 7,810,264 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:30 AM

Uk Arrests Three Nigerian Nationals Over Sham Marriages - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Uk Arrests Three Nigerian Nationals Over Sham Marriages (3490 Views)

You Are Still A Dictator -PDP Tells Buhari ….APC Anti-Corruption Crusade, A Sham / Rivers Governorship Election: “A Sham, Mockery Of Democracy,” Says INEC Staff / Nigeria Will Evacuate Nationals If South Africa Attacks Worsen – Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uk Arrests Three Nigerian Nationals Over Sham Marriages by Nobody: 12:37am On Aug 03, 2010
[size=18pt] UK Arrests Three Nigerian Nationals Over Sham Marriages[/size]

Three Nigerians were among the five people arrested in East London by the United Kingdom Border Agency over sham marriages. A 33-year-old Nigerian bride was arrested on suspicion of perjury, fraud, immigration offences and an offence under the ID Cards Act while her groom, a 34-year-old Czech national was arrested on suspicion of assisting unlawful immigration, a statement by the British High Commission said.

"Two other men, a 31-year-old Czech national and a 34-year-old Nigerian national, were also arrested on suspicion of conspiring to facilitate a breach of immigration law. A fifth person, a 41-year-old Nigerian male, was subsequently arrested on suspicion of ID Cards Act offences during a search of a property in Trinity Gardens, Canning Town.

"All five remain in custody and are being questioned by police and immigration officers," the statement further said.

It said "Officers from the London Immigration Crime Team swooped as the would-be bride and groom arrived for a rehearsal at the Church of St Mary Magdalene in East Ham on July 22."

The enforcement operation was part of planned nationwide action by the UK Border Agency to tackle illegal working, sham marriages, bogus colleges and organised immigration crime.

Detective Inspector Alex Ttaris from the London Immigration Crime Team said, "We are committed to targeting criminal groups who profit from organising sham marriages".

"Across London we are working very closely with registrars and the clergy to identify suspect marriages. Where there is evidence to suggest that a wedding may be bogus we will investigate and, if necessary, intervene to stop it happening."

http://allafrica.com/stories/201007270416.html
Re: Uk Arrests Three Nigerian Nationals Over Sham Marriages by cold(m): 12:33pm On Aug 03, 2010
FL Gators,what is happening shocked shocked shocked
Re: Uk Arrests Three Nigerian Nationals Over Sham Marriages by Redman44(m): 12:55pm On Aug 03, 2010
I become emotional when I stumble on stories like this on any forum. On one hand, I sympathize with the suspects because of my humanist feelings. I know what Nigerians go through in the UK and Europe as immigrants [ both legal and illegal ]. Yeah, the Nigerians that were arrested had committed Immigration offences but like us all, they are trying to survive. That is why I get angry when I see Nigerians coming onto Nairaland to condemn their fellow citizens who have been caught and are in the process of being deported. If you've gotten your residence permit in Britain, you should realize that what is good for the goose is good for the gander.  At one stage or the other, many of the Pharisees here have been illegal immigrants in the UK before regularising their status. So let the new puppies gnaw, please sad sad sad  It should also be noted that having a British Passport or EU Passport does not make you superior to your fellow brother or sister who has a Green Passport in reality. It is all about what we can achieve with our talents, knowledge or creativity.

On the other hand, I have a strong hatred for Nigerians who are perpetual criminals in the UK. I wonder why someone will decide to get involved in fraud for years without thinking he or she will be caught. Why don't you go and work [ Opportunities still abound in Britain if you are determined and innovative ] and later become an entrepreneur if you want to make more money? Racism still exists but the system is not stopping you from living your dreams. Why don't you come up with long range plans instead of thinking of how to defraud others in order to show people back in Nigeria that you are wealthy? That guy running that African Food Store in your hood does not have two heads, okay? You can do better than him if you can think deep. If you don't have papers to work and are using someone else's docs, why don't you live like a spartan, save enough money and look for ways of regularising your status? Better still, if you've saved enough money, you can head back to Nigeria and start a business or a company. You can even go back to Nigeria and apply to travel to another country legally. If you are above 30 years in the UK and you don't know what to do with your life except scamming others, drug dealing etc, you need deliverance from the Hosts of Heaven. Cheers.

www.vibes-extra..com
Re: Uk Arrests Three Nigerian Nationals Over Sham Marriages by snowdrops(m): 1:13pm On Aug 03, 2010
i suspect a whistle blower most likely an aggrieved fellow Nigerian must have alerted the authorities. Hence the dramatic way the immigration guys swooped on them during a rehearsal.
Re: Uk Arrests Three Nigerian Nationals Over Sham Marriages by buzugee(m): 1:41pm On Aug 03, 2010
since the conservatives have won they have been very hard on crime grin grin and now they say they wanna cut giro too. no mo housing benefit cry anwulamooooooooooooooooooooooo grin
Re: Uk Arrests Three Nigerian Nationals Over Sham Marriages by snowdrops(m): 1:45pm On Aug 03, 2010
buzugee:

since the conservatives have won they have been very hard on crime grin grin and now they say they wanna cut giro too. no mo housing benefit cry anwulamooooooooooooooooooooooo grin
its not as easy as you think. but back to the topic. . . . . . . . . . .
Re: Uk Arrests Three Nigerian Nationals Over Sham Marriages by buzugee(m): 2:01pm On Aug 03, 2010
snowdrops:

its not as easy as you think. but back to the topic. . . . . . . . . . .
you dont say. i am telling ya these conservative folks are streamlining everything. they are deporting anything that moves, busting all sham marriages, cutting and streamlining budget. they better not come near my job seekers allowance or somebody will lose their head with machete. i will deliver the head of david cameron to his ancestors with my prized machete grin JK. but seriously though how is britain these days ?
Re: Uk Arrests Three Nigerian Nationals Over Sham Marriages by snowdrops(m): 2:07pm On Aug 03, 2010
the cuts and crack down on immigration is not unexpected. it was spelt out in their manisfesto
Re: Uk Arrests Three Nigerian Nationals Over Sham Marriages by justwise(m): 3:09pm On Aug 03, 2010
snowdrops:

the cuts and crack down on immigration is not unexpected. it was spelt out in their manisfesto

Its time for the work-shy, lazy backsides to get up and get a job, i really hope that the govt do something about the free-loaders.

Now to the topic. . . too many Nigerians are getting caught in this shame marriage thing, Nigerians go about it WITHOUT sense, they know nothing about each other, they forge papers, do all sorts of silly things then get caught.

How can you marry somebody you know little or nothing about? Many of these Nigerians don't even have valid visa b4 going into the arrange marriage thing. They saw it coming.
Re: Uk Arrests Three Nigerian Nationals Over Sham Marriages by Nobody: 3:32pm On Aug 03, 2010
cold:

FL Gators,what is happening shocked shocked shocked
aha, what do you mean? grin Dont worry, they wont catch us when we do our own sham marriage. We're too smart for UK wink
Re: Uk Arrests Three Nigerian Nationals Over Sham Marriages by martinosi: 4:03pm On Aug 03, 2010
hmmm
Re: Uk Arrests Three Nigerian Nationals Over Sham Marriages by Nobody: 4:12pm On Aug 03, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

aha, what do you mean? grin Dont worry, they wont catch us when we do our own sham marriage. We're too smart for UK wink
hmmm. . .interesting
Re: Uk Arrests Three Nigerian Nationals Over Sham Marriages by snowdrops(m): 4:24pm On Aug 03, 2010
justwise:

Its time for the work-shy, lazy backsides to get up and get a job, i really hope that the govt do something about the free-loaders.

Now to the topic. . . too many Nigerians are getting caught in this shame marriage thing, Nigerians go about it WITHOUT sense, they know nothing about each other, they forge papers, do all sorts of silly things then get caught.

How can you marry somebody you know little or nothing about? Many of these Nigerians don't even have valid visa b4 going into the arrange marriage thing. They saw it coming.
very true. the hammer appear to be falling hard on the benefit scroungers and those that milk the system. on the second point, its hard to feel any sympathy for the sham marriage people above
Re: Uk Arrests Three Nigerian Nationals Over Sham Marriages by chelseabmw(m): 4:51pm On Aug 03, 2010
;d ;d ;d
Re: Uk Arrests Three Nigerian Nationals Over Sham Marriages by Akosbaba(m): 5:49am On Aug 04, 2010
martinosi:

YEP THATS RIGHT, ALL THESE ARREST ARE NOW DUE TO FELLOW NIGERIANS
OR "IN THE KNOW PARTIES" TIPPING POLICE OFF SO THEY CAN GET SOME FORM OF REWARD OR POINTS !!!

no mind them,bad belle idiots
Re: Uk Arrests Three Nigerian Nationals Over Sham Marriages by justwise(m): 8:38am On Aug 04, 2010
martinosi:

YEP THATS RIGHT, ALL THESE ARREST ARE NOW DUE TO FELLOW NIGERIANS
OR "IN THE KNOW PARTIES" TIPPING POLICE OFF SO THEY CAN GET SOME FORM OF REWARD OR POINTS !!!

I disagree with u, they got caught up by their own silly mistakes.
Re: Uk Arrests Three Nigerian Nationals Over Sham Marriages by r231(m): 9:26am On Aug 04, 2010
justwise:

I disagree with u, they got caught up by their own silly mistakes.

Explain pls

not in all cases
Re: Uk Arrests Three Nigerian Nationals Over Sham Marriages by justwise(m): 9:45am On Aug 04, 2010
r231:

Explain pls

not in all cases

Marrying somebody you know little or nothing about, they don't even leave together, she speaks only. . . say polish and the husband to be don't,  forging utility bills, rushing to registry when u have a month left on your visa. . . the list go on. . .
Re: Uk Arrests Three Nigerian Nationals Over Sham Marriages by r231(m): 9:53am On Aug 04, 2010
justwise:

Marrying somebody you know little or nothing about, they don't even leave together, she speaks only. . . say polish and the husband to be don't, forging utility bills, rushing to registry when u have a month left on your visa. . . the list go on. . .

now that is dumb for real
Re: Uk Arrests Three Nigerian Nationals Over Sham Marriages by justwise(m): 10:04am On Aug 04, 2010
Re: Uk Arrests Three Nigerian Nationals Over Sham Marriages by r231(m): 10:10am On Aug 04, 2010
^^^^^all that in july alone wow

well what i am saying is about 80% of time pple tip them off

cus i see that happen all the time @ my work place

and its done by fellow nigerians
Re: Uk Arrests Three Nigerian Nationals Over Sham Marriages by asha80(m): 10:19am On Aug 04, 2010
r231:

Is there anything they gain by tipping off?
Re: Uk Arrests Three Nigerian Nationals Over Sham Marriages by justwise(m): 10:24am On Aug 04, 2010
r231:

I don't think so, most of those marriages are kept secret, even if somebody tips them off as long as you meet the requirements and did not submit dodgy documents, the marriage will still stand.
Re: Uk Arrests Three Nigerian Nationals Over Sham Marriages by r231(m): 10:26am On Aug 04, 2010
asha 80:

Is there anything they gain by tipping off?

their usual excuss I JUST WANT TO LET YOU GUYS KNOW BECAUSE I DON'T LIKE PPLE CHEATING THE SYSTEM

all they get is thank you and we collect their details for more information if needed

justwise:

I don't think so, most of those marriages are kept secret, even if somebody tips them off as long as you meet the requirements and did not submit dodgy documents, the marriage will still stand.

some of their close friend can rack them out as well even if all documents are real and marriage is fake

they can still get into trouble for that cus its still marriage fraud

but then i might be wrong

i work for the council (Housing) and trust me i get tip off calls at least three to five times a month about pple letting out council properties just cus they don't want to pay
Re: Uk Arrests Three Nigerian Nationals Over Sham Marriages by justwise(m): 3:13pm On Aug 04, 2010
r231:

their usual excuss I JUST WANT TO LET YOU GUYS KNOW BECAUSE I DON'T LIKE PPLE CHEATING THE SYSTEM

all they get is thank you and we collect their details for more information if needed
some of their close friend can rack them out as well even if all documents are real and marriage is fake
they can still get into trouble for that cus its still marriage fraud
but then i might be wrong

i work for the council (Housing) and trust me i get tip off calls at least three to five times a month about pple letting out council properties just cus they don't want to pay
Then i have to agree with u on that.

(1) (Reply)

What Does "Interim Forfeiture" Mean? / The Single Wrong Policy That Guided Nigeria Into Recession / IPOB Commences The Disbursement Of Scholarship Grants To Schools In Old Eastern

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.