Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,332 members, 7,811,971 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:19 AM

Lord Frederick Lugard With Northern Nigeria Emirs In London, 1934 (Throwback Pic - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lord Frederick Lugard With Northern Nigeria Emirs In London, 1934 (Throwback Pic (60071 Views)

Isaac Fayose: Atiku Plans To Install Emirs In Southern Nigeria / Photos Of Lord Frederick Lugard And The Amalgamation Process / Newly Appointed 1st Class Emirs In Kano Formally Accept Their Appointments (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lord Frederick Lugard With Northern Nigeria Emirs In London, 1934 (Throwback Pic by Firgemachar: 3:21pm On Dec 14, 2018
kjhova:

You seem genuinely interested in this topic therefore I shall engage you further to comment on the points you raised. Caveat is, you gotta totally offload your emotions and research history from a purely detached viewpoint.

1) The Caliphate fell long after the southern Kingdoms. Don't take my word for it, just do a cursory google search on "British colonization of Nigeria". Also, common sense application of geography to military strategy will show that the British, who invaded from the Atlantic coast, will not flank unconquered enemy forces in the south to go on a conquest up north.

My friend, what should be is not always what it is. The fact is what we must hold onto and not theories.
Ijebu was the last Yoruba tribe to fall to the Brits. Conquered Hausa slaves helped the Brits achieve the conquest.

At the end of the Yoruba civil war, both Ibadan and Ekiti armies/peoples were independent. They surrendered to the Brits of their own accord to end the civil war. These are facts!

2) At the end of the Yoruba civil war in 1888 to the eve of the fall of Benin in 1896, none of these civilizations had writing and none was projecting war outside its territory. They were also both polytheist society with governments nowhere near as complex as the bureaucracy of the Caliphate.
And I pointed out that the reading and writing thingy was a form of Arabic cultural conquest of the caliphate. The skill wasn't their making.

Polytheist How? They were all traditional worshippers to the core.

As per conquests, present day Tapa people of Niger state used to be part of the Oyo empire. Yoruba is spoken as an indigenous language in parts of Niger state till tomorrow.
Same goes for present day Benin republic. At some point, they used to be part of the Oyo empire and later Benin kingdom.

Oyo empire ran a semblance of democracy as there was a parliament known as the Oyo Mesi to checkmate the Alaafin and his council.

3) For all effect and purpose, the Fulani jihad did force Hausa hegemony over much of the tribes of the Kaduna, Niger and Benue basin. Yes, the Caliphate did not outrightly subjugate these peoples, however, they had enough dominion amongst them to be able to spread their influence over them.

Sleep calls...later.

The Brits gave the caliphate whatever little dominion they seem to be having over the other northern tribes. It was never so ab initio. They never spoke Hausa as a first language until the colonisation happened.

It was all part of the British strategy of making the north 'one big Hausa' family indeed for the purpose of subjugation of the south.

You still haven't told me why the caliphate in Ghana wasn't accorded similar recognition.
Re: Lord Frederick Lugard With Northern Nigeria Emirs In London, 1934 (Throwback Pic by Ziggylady(f): 3:23pm On Dec 14, 2018
fk001:

Lol that's the bitter truth that they can't shy away from it.

Northerners have been civilized Centuries ago before the British came to Nigeria, where were the southerners as of then? I guess they must have been jumping from one tree to another cheesy

You were civilised centuries ago only to become a huge almajiri land filled with abject poverty,disease,illiteracy,terrorism and filth in this 21st century..how possible is that??.

..as a northerner that you are its not surprising you want God to 'bless' Lord Lugard for amalgating you guys with the Southerners while Southerners are cursing him for that..it says a huge lot about who is a parasite leeching off the other regardless of how much you want to save face now.

I join my Southern brethren in cursing Lord Lugard for amalgamating the north and South as a country..

That has to change sooner or later.
Re: Lord Frederick Lugard With Northern Nigeria Emirs In London, 1934 (Throwback Pic by fk001(m): 3:33pm On Dec 14, 2018
Ziggylady:

You were civilised centuries ago only to become a huge almajiri land filled with abject poverty,disease,illiteracy,terrorism and filth in this 21st century..how possible is that??.

..as a northerner that you are its not surprising you want God to 'bless' Lord Lugard for amalgating you guys with the Southerners while Southerners are cursing him for that..it says a huge lot about who is a parasite leeching off the other regardless of how much you want to save face now.

I join my Southern brethren in cursing Lord Lugard for amalgamating the north and South as a country..

That has to change sooner or later.

Yea i am blessing him for making us the first class citizens of the country, while making you people as minorities and our servants. cheesy

About this almajiri issue that you are about to commit suicide because of it, they choose to live that way and do i look like I give a fvck about them?

All I know is Millions of Northerners are taking the advantage of the federal myth that the British blessed us with, and I can't stop thanking them.

We will remain one until we achieve our aim.

Shalom!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lord Frederick Lugard With Northern Nigeria Emirs In London, 1934 (Throwback Pic by spidey77: 3:47pm On Dec 14, 2018
fk001:

Obviously in your 15 years of staying in the North, you lived in a slum or something like that, where humanity is not given much regard.

Just because you stay in the wrong place and mingle with the wrong people that doesn't justify that the entire north are illiterates or close to that.

Just like if a core northerner stays in a ghetto area of Ogun state where there are chunks of uncivilize people, it is wrong for him to generalize that the entire Ogun state are uncivilize. As i said it earlier in every gathering there are good and bad people, you can only rob mind with the type of people you are staying with, and the type of people you are living with defines who you are.

I don't have to argue with you, because you owe me no explanation neither do I.

My friend say what you know. I have spent some years in Sokoto. That state has produced to head of states (Shagari and Ahmadu Bello)....It is one of the most undeveloped and uneducated place I have ever been to. Poverty stinks like local Cologne.....and you know what, it has more quaranic schools than basic primary schools...

.....say the truth when u see it

1 Like

Re: Lord Frederick Lugard With Northern Nigeria Emirs In London, 1934 (Throwback Pic by Ziggylady(f): 4:16pm On Dec 14, 2018
fk001:

Yea i am blessing him for making us the first class citizens of the country, while making you people as minorities and our servants. cheesy

About this almajiri issue that you are about to commit suicide because of it, they choose to live that way and do i look like I give a fvck about them?

All I know is Millions of Northerners are taking the advantage of the federal myth that the British blessed us with, and I can't stop thanking them.

We will remain one until we achieve our aim.

Shalom!!

Poor you,who made you first-class citizens?a parasite fooling himself he is the host best describes you.

Ofcourse you dont care about the depraved,poverty-stricken and hopeless almajiris you breed because of the wickedness you lots are known for so iam not sutprised..

You are blessing Lord Lugard for giving you lots an opportunity to live like humans by amalgamating you all with the ever prosperous,enlightened,educated and resource-filled South,without whom the basket-case you are now in all developmental indices would have quadrapled with Niger and Chad feeding you lots as wretched as they too are...

Keep gloating till the South wakes up from their slumber,putting you lots in your places..Sooner or later.

1 Like

Re: Lord Frederick Lugard With Northern Nigeria Emirs In London, 1934 (Throwback Pic by t5ksy: 4:27pm On Dec 14, 2018
fk001:

From the above, it is clear that the British deferred to the Hausa's not because they were considered stupid. On the contrary, the British regarded the Northerners as more civilized than the rest of us.

And 6 decades later with the reality on the ground, do you still hold the belief that the brits passed the baton of rulership to the north for good reason?

Btw, do a Google search on "Indirect rule in Nigeria"......and let us know what you make out of the results. Thanks.
Re: Lord Frederick Lugard With Northern Nigeria Emirs In London, 1934 (Throwback Pic by Nowenuse: 4:44pm On Dec 14, 2018
kjhova:

You seem genuinely interested in this topic therefore I shall engage you further to comment on the points you raised. Caveat is, you gotta totally offload your emotions and research history from a purely detached viewpoint.

1) The Caliphate fell long after the southern Kingdoms. Don't take my word for it, just do a cursory google search on "British colonization of Nigeria". Also, common sense application of geography to military strategy will show that the British, who invaded from the Atlantic coast, will not flank unconquered enemy forces in the south to go on a conquest up north.

2) At the end of the Yoruba civil war in 1888 to the eve of the fall of Benin in 1896, none of these civilizations had writing and none was projecting war outside its territory. They were also both polytheist society with governments nowhere near as complex as the bureaucracy of the Caliphate.

3) For all effect and purpose, the Fulani jihad did force Hausa hegemony over much of the tribes of the Kaduna, Niger and Benue basin. Yes, the Caliphate did not outrightly subjugate these peoples, however, they had enough dominion amongst them to be able to spread their influence over them.

Sleep calls...later.

Oga, check again. The north fell completely to the British before the south fell. And this is not even my area of interest, my interest is the last paragraph.

Hausa fulanis did not conquer Southern Kaduna, Plateau, Benue, Gombe south and most parts of Taraba/Adamawa. The British were the ones who brought about indirect rule system of government to force our people under emirate rulership. Some resisted, but others fell. The use of Hausa language was promoted/manadated for Biblical evangelism and schools in the old northern region. This was what spread Hausa language around the region, otherwise, there was no form of direct influence by conquest or whatsoever means!

We know those who were conquered by Hausa fulanis and the people are predominantly muslims, e.g the Ilorins, the Nupes and Bauchi tribes.

1 Like

Re: Lord Frederick Lugard With Northern Nigeria Emirs In London, 1934 (Throwback Pic by abduljabbar4(m): 4:56pm On Dec 14, 2018
gentleibraheem:

Just see how you're showcasing the level of dumbness you inherited. How can someone be soo ignorant and still not ashamed of it

And the fool still has the guts to refer to another person as an illiterate. Centboy123456 i think you need to go back to secondary school. Start from Js1 cos whatever it is that you have done before was nothing but a waste of resources
Re: Lord Frederick Lugard With Northern Nigeria Emirs In London, 1934 (Throwback Pic by fk001(m): 5:09pm On Dec 14, 2018
Ziggylady:

Poor you,who made you first-class citizens?a parasite fooling himself he is the host best describes you.

Ofcourse you dont care about the depraved,poverty-stricken and hopeless almajiris you breed because of the wickedness hou lots are known for so iam not sutprised..

You are blessing Lord Lugard for giving you lots an opportunity to live like humans by amalgamating you all with the ever prosperous,enlightened,educated and resource-filled South,without whom the basket-case you are now in all developmental indices would have quadrapled with Niger and Chad feeding you lots as wretched as they too are...

Keep gloating till the South wakes up from their slumber,putting you lots in your places..Sooner or later.

As far as millions of Northerners are gaining from Federal might, we are okay with it.

You can keep on wailing till eternity cheesy
Re: Lord Frederick Lugard With Northern Nigeria Emirs In London, 1934 (Throwback Pic by Ziggylady(f): 5:19pm On Dec 14, 2018
fk001:

As far as millions of Northerners are gaining from Federal might, we are okay with it.

You can keep on wailing till eternity cheesy

Millions of Northerners indeed..Ofcourse you cant do without 'gobment' because of the endemic laziness and backwardness you are known..Inspite of that you are still last by all developmental indices.

Please continue thanking and asking God to bless Lord Lugard for giving you the chance to live like humans by your association with the South cheesy..Pathetic lots.

1 Like

Re: Lord Frederick Lugard With Northern Nigeria Emirs In London, 1934 (Throwback Pic by abduljabbar4(m): 5:19pm On Dec 14, 2018
Ziggylady:

Ofcourse you dont care about the depraved,poverty-stricken and hopeless almajiris you breed because of the wickedness hou lots are known for so iam not sutprised..

Here is another dumb nairalander with another form of foolishness. Can you mention any southern state that can survive without federal allocation except lagos? Can you? Or is it the 9ja delta oil that the south southerners woke up and found in their backyard?

When you talk about resourceful, educated, enlightened individuals, you should be comparing yourselves with Europeans and Americans. How can people who introduced cultism to Nigeria call themselves civilised? People that behead their brothers at will and operate baby factories. Your people are as wretched as northern Nigeria. Is it not better to have almajiris than to have your stupid brothers who sell drugs and counterfeit goods?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lord Frederick Lugard With Northern Nigeria Emirs In London, 1934 (Throwback Pic by abduljabbar4(m): 5:21pm On Dec 14, 2018
Ziggylady:

Millions of Northerners indeed..Ofcourse you cant do without 'gobment' because of the endemic laziness and backwardness you are known..Inspite of that you are still last by all developmental indices.

Please continue thanking and asking God to bless Lord Lugard for giving you the chance to live like humans by your association with the South cheesy..Pathetic lots.

When you finally stop ritual killings and burning suspected armed robbers alive, you can begin to talk about being civilized but for now, you are nothing but an empty barrel

1 Like

Re: Lord Frederick Lugard With Northern Nigeria Emirs In London, 1934 (Throwback Pic by fk001(m): 5:23pm On Dec 14, 2018
Ziggylady:

If you are done wailing let me know pls cheesy
Re: Lord Frederick Lugard With Northern Nigeria Emirs In London, 1934 (Throwback Pic by doskie(m): 5:29pm On Dec 14, 2018
yomi96:
dude I could careless about the easterners, haven lived in the north for 15 years I can authoritatively say that you are a liar, the north is filled with almajiries and illiterates who cannot read and write even in Hausa, not to talk of Arabic

There is nothing to argue with you, because all Nigerians know that you core-northerners are the ones dragging nigeria backwards with your religious extremism.

You can imagine what that shameless Zamfara governor came out to say, that God is punishing his citizens with meningitis because of their sins.

I asked you, why don't Kwara, Kogi and Nasarawa muslims or yoruba muslims fight for sharia law in their states as core-northerners if they so much practice the same kind of islam? You could not answer.

How many times have you heard Igala, Ebira, Gwari, Nupe, Bariba or Alago muslims burning churches, beheading people or fighting people of other religions in their homelands?
Or you think all Nigerians don't know how core-northerners discriminate yoruba muslims as fake muslims ba?

Oga, go and sit down. You have nothing to say!
personally i think everywhere in nigeria has its own wahala. i am tired of this country. the north has illiteracy, violence and all. but these people are more honest in business, sincere, and have less social vices. i have lived in the four cardinal points in nigeria. southerners are very educated and smart people. but you have something to fear while with them, kidnapping, ritual killing, bankers aiding fraudsters to wreck havoc on peoples account. lets face it, the country is just fckt
Re: Lord Frederick Lugard With Northern Nigeria Emirs In London, 1934 (Throwback Pic by zionmde: 6:07pm On Dec 14, 2018
fk001:

Who is complaining about hunger here? Definitely you.

I also travel a lot, I have seen how your people are suffering even two square meal they can't afford it talk less of three. I have seen how your ladies are jumping with anxiety when they come across a rich Northern guy.

Anyway I don't have to explain everything for you, because I definitely know you will judge based on your emotion.

As for me, my friend's, family and entire neighborhood i know that we are faring well enough. Same goes to other millions of Northeners.
Go back to ur post I mentioned. were u not the one denying that there were illiterates and poor people only in the remote areas?
I have travelled all the states except borno. I will say this the North stinks of poverty and illiteracy. How can people who grow up going to school by 9am and closing by 1:40pm then Islamiyya from 3pm to 8pm compare with those who go to school from 7:45 to 4pm.
if u are not concerned about the poverty and illiteracy littering everywhere in the north then u are blind or rather a buharist
Re: Lord Frederick Lugard With Northern Nigeria Emirs In London, 1934 (Throwback Pic by fk001(m): 6:35pm On Dec 14, 2018
zionmde:

Go back to ur post I mentioned. were u not the one denying that there were illiterates and poor people only in the remote areas?
I have travelled all the states except borno. I will say this the North stinks of poverty and illiteracy. How can people who grow up going to school by 9am and closing by 1:40pm then Islamiyya from 3pm to 8pm compare with those who go to school from 7:45 to 4pm.
if u are not concerned about the poverty and illiteracy littering everywhere in the north then u are blind or rather a buharist

There are many school in the north that start by 7am and close by 5pm

except if you are refering to public school.

1 Like

Re: Lord Frederick Lugard With Northern Nigeria Emirs In London, 1934 (Throwback Pic by zionmde: 7:29pm On Dec 14, 2018
fk001:

There are many school in the north that start by 7am and close by 5pm

except if you are refering to public school.
I mean private schools
and I mean core north NW and NE
no school does that. because of prayers
u cannot hide the truth that the north should be declared a state of emergency in terms of education
I taught the governor's son and children of most politicians as a corper. I had to wonder wat the children of ordinary men will look like if those high class kids were that dumb
Re: Lord Frederick Lugard With Northern Nigeria Emirs In London, 1934 (Throwback Pic by fk001(m): 7:44pm On Dec 14, 2018
zionmde:

I mean private schools
and I mean core north NW and NE
no school does that. because of prayers
u cannot hide the truth that the north should be declared a state of emergency in terms of education
I taught the governor's son and children of most politicians as a corper. I had to wonder wat the children of ordinary men will look like if those high class kids were that dumb

You are delusional

The secondary school that i attended start by 7am and close by 5pm. We pray when it was time for prayer we take our breakfast, brunch and lunch.

Tell me which of the schools in the NE or NW did you work? I have links and I know most of the high school in the North.

No any high profile school employ a serving corp member to teach their kids
Re: Lord Frederick Lugard With Northern Nigeria Emirs In London, 1934 (Throwback Pic by zionmde: 7:54pm On Dec 14, 2018
fk001:

You are delusional

The secondary school that i attended start by 7am and close by 5pm. We pray when it was time for prayer we take our breakfast, brunch and lunch.

Tell me which of the schools in the NE or NW did you work? I have links and I know most of the high school in the North.

No any high profile school employ a serving corp member to teach their kids
hahaha 95% of all the high profile schools in NE and NW are filled with corpers
And wat makes u think i will come here and give you the name of the school
if u know most of the high schools then u should know the one the past governor's kids attended
If u close by 5pm then wen do u go for Islamiyya? or hope u aren't talking about a boarding school
u can keep trying but it keeps staring on ur face that illiteracy and poverty ravages the north

by the way wat percentage of northerners even attend private schools??
Re: Lord Frederick Lugard With Northern Nigeria Emirs In London, 1934 (Throwback Pic by fk001(m): 8:07pm On Dec 14, 2018
zionmde:

hahaha 95% of all the high profile schools in NE and NW are filled with corpers
And wat makes u think i will come here and give you the name of the school
if u know most of the high schools then u should know the one the past governor's kids attended
If u close by 5pm then wen do u go for Islamiyya? or hope u aren't talking about a boarding school
u can keep trying but it keeps staring on ur face that illiteracy and poverty ravages the north

by the way wat percentage of northerners even attend private schools??

okay bye
Re: Lord Frederick Lugard With Northern Nigeria Emirs In London, 1934 (Throwback Pic by orisa37: 8:20pm On Dec 14, 2018
Where is Galolo?
Re: Lord Frederick Lugard With Northern Nigeria Emirs In London, 1934 (Throwback Pic by orisa37: 8:29pm On Dec 14, 2018
Presenting them to King George V of England, did LFL descibe them as sensuous and immoral to George?
Re: Lord Frederick Lugard With Northern Nigeria Emirs In London, 1934 (Throwback Pic by abdulwastecx(m): 8:46pm On Dec 14, 2018
Aboki99:

You are very correct only that three other fingers point at you and you scored own goal. You think a xtian country (UK) that brought religion to you, clothed thee and civilized you people would gave northern leadets the country for nothing? While the north was civilized and well organised even b4 the white men came calling, you people in the East and parts of the west were moving around stark naked wallahi! You were pagans and barbaric as recently as 1940. Just look for an old Pic of the part of naija u came from and confirm it. Read history man and save yourself the self inflicted insults

What are you saying?
Southwestern Nigeria which includes Yoruba land and old empire has been civilized for ages.
This organized system of government you keep shouting about only came with the Usman dan fodio revolution in the 19th century before then most of the Hausa state was a city-state.

I am Yoruba and I know the history of my people, the old Oyo empire was the largest empire in what we call Nigeria as of 14th century, it was so powerful that we have organized a system of government.

Nigeria is an artificial state with ethnic groups that have nothing in common and there is no such thing as a southerner. The Yorubas of southwestern Nigeria have been building empires, living in organized society for thousands of years before the colonial master
Re: Lord Frederick Lugard With Northern Nigeria Emirs In London, 1934 (Throwback Pic by abdulwastecx(m): 9:03pm On Dec 14, 2018
rexwalters:
Of course the black man will always blame someone else,slavery was a business just the same way we sell our raw crude today,we sold ourselves the white man did not force us,open slavery was the biggest business for over 400 years and is still big time today,the United states fought a civil from 1861 - 1865 because of the abolishment of slavery,go and do your research and find out what gave men like Tippu Tip so much wealth,abi you think say na only you done study or live for UK & Yankee?

The partitioning of Africa was done in Berlin in 1888,are you still blaming the white man for the black man's woes?,The Europeans founded The United States and Canada,why are they not like sub saharan Africa,the honest truth is that the black man has a fundamental problem on progression be it in the US,UK or Africa but a thousand times worse in Nigeria.,Africa.

When the British left Nigeria finally in 1963 after we became a republic,electricity was everywhere,why not use their so called black magic to produce electricity today?

When the British left Nigeria in 1960, less than 5% of Nigerians live in urban areas, we don't have any thermal power plant or Hydropower plan. We generate less than 500mega watt of electricity of over 45m people then.

When the colonial master left Nigeria, we only have two railway like built to link the exterior to Lagos port to ease the movement of raw materials only to Great Britain. These lines were built without proper consideration for the movement of people or better communication that will automatically lead to high productivity.

The British experiment was purely exploitative one, they left the country worse than they met it. They lump people with nothing in common without making any effort to unite them, they drew a line on paper with proper consultation of the people living in this geographical entities.

People achieve more with people they share things in common with. The Yoruba nation with a population of 45m people will be one of the most populous nations in western Europe if it were to be an independent country (after Germany, Italy, Spain, and Great Britain )

1 Like

Re: Lord Frederick Lugard With Northern Nigeria Emirs In London, 1934 (Throwback Pic by abdulwastecx(m): 9:21pm On Dec 14, 2018
fk001:

Lol suit yourself.

That's a well know fact across Northern Nigeria.

Only the North can't decide the future of the nation.
Nigerian unity is very negotiable, it can be negotiated by all the participating units to form the country
Re: Lord Frederick Lugard With Northern Nigeria Emirs In London, 1934 (Throwback Pic by Nobody: 9:37pm On Dec 14, 2018
Racoon:
The problem and trouble with Nigeria from 1914 till date.For amalgamating reasonable Nigerians with brutes & barbaric humanity, Lord Lugard will never find peace even in death.
this your hatred would hunt you one day
and you'll leave to regret your actions
Re: Lord Frederick Lugard With Northern Nigeria Emirs In London, 1934 (Throwback Pic by Racoon(m): 9:40pm On Dec 14, 2018
[s]
bamidelee:

this your hatred would hunt you one day
and you'll leave to regret your actions
[/s]
Do I kill people, shed blood, ask people to surrender their ancestral lands or die, make nepotic appointments? Absolutely No! So stay the hell off.
Re: Lord Frederick Lugard With Northern Nigeria Emirs In London, 1934 (Throwback Pic by kjhova(m): 12:35am On Dec 15, 2018
Nowenuse:

Oga, check again. The north fell completely to the British before the south fell. And this is not even my area of interest, my interest is the last paragraph.

Hausa fulanis did not conquer Southern Kaduna, Plateau, Benue, Gombe south and most parts of Taraba/Adamawa. The British were the ones who brought about indirect rule system of government to force our people under emirate rulership. Some resisted, but others fell. The use of Hausa language was promoted/manadated for Biblical evangelism and schools in the old northern region. This was what spread Hausa language around the region, otherwise, there was no form of direct influence by conquest or whatsoever means!

We know those who were conquered by Hausa fulanis and the people are predominantly muslims, e.g the Ilorins, the Nupes and Bauchi tribes.

Hi, I am awake now. Yea, you joined the discuss halfway. Pls don't be a Trump with facts. The British took Lagos in 1861, deposed the Benin Oba in 1896, bombed Ijebu to submission in 1880s, pacified the entire southwest of the Niger up to Lokoja before 1900! The British transported King Jaja, set up Port Harcourt, gained control of the Niger and coopted the entire Southeast of the Niger and the Benue rivers before 1900! The British made Calabar capital of their Niger activities until they defeated the Minna Emirate and then moved the capital to Lokoja in 1900! Kano, Kebbi, Sokoto and Gobir Emirates only fell between 1905 to 1911. It was only after the British had pacified the entire area that Luggard could proclame his now infamous amalgamation which created the Nigeria of today in 1914.

The above facts are quite so easily verifiable so it beats me why we need this argument.

Yes, you are right that British rule favoured the Caliphate afterwards by extending their influence beyond their original conquest. Bear in mind also that it was same British rule that effectively subsumed the Hausa people under Fulani hegemony. This is not far fetched nor counter to my original post that British colonial concept of civilization regarded the Fulani emirates as more civilized than the rest of us so they basically handed the entire shabang to the Caliphate. Problem was the conquering Fulanis have near zero population in Nigeria, just like the Brits, thus the gain of colonial Nigeria fell to the Hausas who were the primal Fulani conquest.

This is the Nigeria passes down to us today. It is so, not because the Brits considered northerners stupid, but because they actually believed that northerners were more refined than the rest of us. And by northerners, I mean Fulani's and Hausas. Right or wrong, the British are long gone and we are now here to handle our country the way we should. Are we ready yet?
Re: Lord Frederick Lugard With Northern Nigeria Emirs In London, 1934 (Throwback Pic by kjhova(m): 1:14am On Dec 15, 2018
Firgemachar:

My friend, what should be is not always what it is. The fact is what we must hold onto and not theories.
Ijebu was the last Yoruba tribe to fall to the Brits. Conquered Hausa slaves helped the Brits achieve the conquest.

At the end of the Yoruba civil war, both Ibadan and Ekiti armies/peoples were independent. They surrendered to the Brits of their own accord to end the civil war. These are facts!

And I pointed out that the reading and writing thingy was a form of Arabic cultural conquest of the caliphate. The skill wasn't their making.

Polytheist How? They were all traditional worshippers to the core.

As per conquests, present day Tapa people of Niger state used to be part of the Oyo empire. Yoruba is spoken as an indigenous language in parts of Niger state till tomorrow.
Same goes for present day Benin republic. At some point, they used to be part of the Oyo empire and later Benin kingdom.

Oyo empire ran a semblance of democracy as there was a parliament known as the Oyo Mesi to checkmate the Alaafin and his council.

The Brits gave the caliphate whatever little dominion they seem to be having over the other northern tribes. It was never so ab initio. They never spoke Hausa as a first language until the colonisation happened.

It was all part of the British strategy of making the north 'one big Hausa' family indeed for the purpose of subjugation of the south.

You still haven't told me why the caliphate in Ghana wasn't accorded similar recognition.

My friend, I appreciate your interest. You seem to know quite a bit of our history. However, you seem to be muddling it all up. Please read my response to @Nowenuse above.

The Sokoto Caliph's rule did not extend to Ghana. I believe that your reference to Ghana is based on the remnant Hausaic population there. Britain was not in Africa to promote Hausa rule. The Brits came here to rule for themselves. For convenience, they ride on the back of the dominant power wherever they conquered. In the case of Ghana, it was the Asanti and Fante, not the Dagomba who I believe you refer to.

I pick your points in bit, pls pardon me, but you seem to be puzzled to hear that African traditional religions are generally polytheistic. Where do we start this from? Pls do a simple google search so we don't digress. In any case, the Brits considered us Barbarians for being polytheistic.

That part of "one big Hausa family" yea? I believe I answered it in the other comment I referred you to.

You are right that Oyo and Benin had been great once. However, they were in decline and shadows of their past when the British came. Whatever, sophistication in government they may have developed didn't resonate with the conquerors.

In British colonial reckoning, all the southern lands were peopled with illiterate barbarians. The Caliphate had a larger indigenous literate population who can write Arabic and Ajami. The original Caliph himself, Uthman Dan Fodio, wrote over 200 books most of which are still available today in museums across West Africa. No southern king is known to have ever done such. This is what the British saw and this is what the British worked their assumptions with. Whether the Caliph got writing from Arabs or Tuaregs or Zenaga is besides the point. They had it and we didn't have it is what the British saw.

The British came to Africa to conquer, plunder and loot. Whatever infrastructure they built, religion they passes down, education they gave, was not really out of benevolence to our plight as a people but rather to oil and grease their machinery of looting our lands dry. It is sad that they cobbled us together as many nations in one country. However, I don't think we can resolve this situation by dwelling on ignorance, lies, half truths and bellicosity. There is a way forward and it is laid with wisdom and knowledge.

1 Like

Re: Lord Frederick Lugard With Northern Nigeria Emirs In London, 1934 (Throwback Pic by Nowenuse: 10:06am On Dec 15, 2018
kjhova:

Hi, I am awake now. Yea, you joined the discuss halfway. Pls don't be a Trump with facts. The British took Lagos in 1861, deposed the Benin Oba in 1896, bombed Ijebu to submission in 1880s, pacified the entire southwest of the Niger up to Lokoja before 1900! The British transported King Jaja, set up Port Harcourt, gained control of the Niger and coopted the entire Southeast of the Niger and the Benue rivers before 1900! The British made Calabar capital of their Niger activities until they defeated the Minna Emirate and then moved the capital to Lokoja in 1900! Kano, Kebbi, Sokoto and Gobir Emirates only fell between 1905 to 1911. It was only after the British had pacified the entire area that Luggard could proclame his now infamous amalgamation which created the Nigeria of today in 1914.

The above facts are quite so easily verifiable so it beats me why we need this argument.

Yes, you are right that British rule favoured the Caliphate afterwards by extending their influence beyond their original conquest. Bear in mind also that it was same British rule that effectively subsumed the Hausa people under Fulani hegemony. This is not far fetched nor counter to my original post that British colonial concept of civilization regarded the Fulani emirates as more civilized than the rest of us so they basically handed the entire shabang to the Caliphate. Problem was the conquering Fulanis have near zero population in Nigeria, just like the Brits, thus the gain of colonial Nigeria fell to the Hausas who were the primal Fulani conquest.

This is the Nigeria passes down to us today. It is so, not because the Brits considered northerners stupid, but because they actually believed that northerners were more refined than the rest of us. And by northerners, I mean Fulani's and Hausas. Right or wrong, the British are long gone and we are now here to handle our country the way we should. Are we ready yet?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokoto_Caliphate

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ekumeku_Movement

Sokoto caliphate fell completely in 1903 while Eastern Igbo land (Aro) fell in 1902. The Ekumeku wars of the Anioma people was the last war the British had to fight before the establishment of the southern protectorate. Anioma fell completely in 1914 at the end of the Ekumeku war.

Re: Lord Frederick Lugard With Northern Nigeria Emirs In London, 1934 (Throwback Pic by Nowenuse: 10:50am On Dec 15, 2018
kjhova:

I disagree @ the bolded.
Hausa states were already united by Danfodio's conquest many years before the British came...

Hausa foot soldiers were used to spread fulani conquest to Adamawa/Bauchi/Gombe and other areas.

1 Like

Re: Lord Frederick Lugard With Northern Nigeria Emirs In London, 1934 (Throwback Pic by Nobody: 10:34pm On Dec 15, 2018
kjhova:

My friend, I appreciate your interest. You seem to know quite a bit of our history. However, you seem to be muddling it all up. Please read my response to @Nowenuse above.

The Sokoto Caliph's rule did not extend to Ghana. I believe that your reference to Ghana is based on the remnant Hausaic population there. Britain was not in Africa to promote Hausa rule. The Brits came here to rule for themselves. For convenience, they ride on the back of the dominant power wherever they conquered. In the case of Ghana, it was the Asanti and Fante, not the Dagomba who I believe you refer to.

I pick your points in bit, pls pardon me, but you seem to be puzzled to hear that African traditional religions are generally polytheistic. Where do we start this from? Pls do a simple google search so we don't digress. In any case, the Brits considered us Barbarians for being polytheistic.

That part of "one big Hausa family" yea? I believe I answered it in the other comment I referred you to.

You are right that Oyo and Benin had been great once. However, they were in decline and shadows of their past when the British came. Whatever, sophistication in government they may have developed didn't resonate with the conquerors.

In British colonial reckoning, all the southern lands were peopled with illiterate barbarians. The Caliphate had a larger indigenous literate population who can write Arabic and Ajami. The original Caliph himself, Uthman Dan Fodio, wrote over 200 books most of which are still available today in museums across West Africa. No southern king is known to have ever done such. This is what the British saw and this is what the British worked their assumptions with. Whether the Caliph got writing from Arabs or Tuaregs or Zenaga is besides the point. They had it and we didn't have it is what the British saw.

The British came to Africa to conquer, plunder and loot. Whatever infrastructure they built, religion they passes down, education they gave, was not really out of benevolence to our plight as a people but rather to oil and grease their machinery of looting our lands dry. It is sad that they cobbled us together as many nations in one country. [b]However, I don't think we can resolve this situation by dwelling on ignorance, lies, half truths and bellicosity. [/b]There is a way forward and it is laid with wisdom and knowledge.

The # Bolded is the very core of Nigeria's problems.

DWELLING ON IGNORANCE, LIES, HALF TRUTHS AND BELLOCITY.

30 years after the Amalgamation , in 1944, there was that realisation by Ahmadu Bello who said this words

"The mistake of 1914 which if allowed to remain will ultimately lead to unstoppable bloodshed and a failed country".

What alot of Southerners raining curses on the North and Lord Lugard mostly don't know or pretend to know not is that quote above even more is what I hope you will read below.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Who Is Dr Alvan Ikoku And Why Is His Face On N10 Note? / Emir Sanusi Receives CP Wakili Who Prevented Kano Election Rigging / Abdulaziz Nyako: I'm A Herdsman & A Senator, You Must Ban Cow Meat First Before

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.