Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,525 members, 7,770,330 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 09:28 AM

Christmas Raises Risk Of Heart Attack - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Christmas Raises Risk Of Heart Attack (8011 Views)

11 Signs Of Heart Disease That Should Not Be Ignored / Eating Fast Food Like Hot Dogs, Burgers Raises Risk Of Severe Asthma / How To Prevent Heart Attack At Any Age (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christmas Raises Risk Of Heart Attack by ikorodureporta: 7:16am On Dec 14, 2018
As the yuletide season approaches, researchers in Sweden have alerted the world community about numerous events around Christmas and New Year, saying that acute experience of anger, anxiety, sadness, grief, and stressful activities associated with Christmas increase the risk of a heart attack.

According to the findings of an observational study published in the ‘British Medical Journal (BMJ), a person’s risk of heart attack spikes during most holidays and peaks at around 10p.m on Christmas Eve. Compared with days in the two weeks before and after Christmas, the risk of heart attack was 15 per cent higher on Christmas Day and 37 per cent higher on Christmas Eve. Similarly, the study found a 20 per cent increased risk for heart attack on New Year’s Day, and a 12 per cent increase during Midsummer, a mid-June Swedish holiday with vaguely pagan overtones during which the drinking and dancing never stop and the sun never sets.

The senior author, Dr. David Erlinge, who is head of the Cardiology Department at Lund University in Sweden, said that the holidays have special stresses — travel, difficult relatives or friends, complicated preparations for guests, extra physical activity and, of course, eating and drinking too much. According to Erlinge: “Every heart attack for 16 years in the whole country is in it. It’s reality,”, he said, adding that it was a big study, not a sample.

The scientists believe Christmas Eve (and other holidays) are times when people experience emotional stress, and that likely affects heart health — although they are only speculating. “We do not know for sure but emotional distress with acute experience of anger, anxiety, sadness, grief, and stress increases the risk of a heart attack. Excessive food intake, alcohol, long distance traveling may also increase the risk,” Erlinge said. The researchers said people could avoid unnecessary stress, take care of elderly relatives with risk of heart problems and avoid excessive eating and drinking during this period. The research team studied 283,014 heart attacks between 1998 and 2013 that were documented in a registry that included the date and time when symptoms have started.

https://www.newtelegraphng.com/2018/12/christmas-raises-risk-of-heart-attacks/

Re: Christmas Raises Risk Of Heart Attack by kanubiafra: 7:37am On Dec 14, 2018
ikorodureporta:
https://www.newtelegraphng.com/2018/12/christmas-raises-risk-of-heart-attacks/
Lalasticlala
.... ONLY in buhari's nigeria right?. so that christians will run away from thier own celebration? how come salah does not, useless people we pass una.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Christmas Raises Risk Of Heart Attack by ikorodureporta: 8:09am On Dec 14, 2018
cheesy

13 Likes

Re: Christmas Raises Risk Of Heart Attack by Nobody: 1:25pm On Dec 14, 2018
Not with me tho,christmas is jst like any other day,what's d anxiety for?
If i drink garri dat day,who will kn?..some people be going on debts because of christmas that will still happen again and again

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Christmas Raises Risk Of Heart Attack by Nobody: 1:25pm On Dec 14, 2018
Nice info
Re: Christmas Raises Risk Of Heart Attack by smoke9910(m): 1:25pm On Dec 14, 2018
I tire for all these researchers and scientists nothing person fit enjoy again. Everything now dey kill person. Make dem free us with our ignorance abeg.

5 Likes

Re: Christmas Raises Risk Of Heart Attack by Thermodynamics(m): 1:26pm On Dec 14, 2018
How? Na lie.
Re: Christmas Raises Risk Of Heart Attack by Nobody: 1:26pm On Dec 14, 2018
I don't think in Nigeria, Xmas risk heart attack. It's January house rent, school fees, money for food, post Xmas pile up debts are huge factors of what can give heart attacks. Nigerian always over spend during yuletide but when the realities set in, they become gentle as vegetables.

17 Likes

Re: Christmas Raises Risk Of Heart Attack by phr0nesis(m): 1:26pm On Dec 14, 2018
Rubbish
Re: Christmas Raises Risk Of Heart Attack by Nwaohafia1: 1:26pm On Dec 14, 2018
Those researchers are Mr. Kill-joys

1 Like

Re: Christmas Raises Risk Of Heart Attack by potbelly(m): 1:26pm On Dec 14, 2018
Well in Nigeria, new year (January) gives a higher risk of heart attack...

School fees

Rent

Yet to recover from Christmas spending...

Generally January is a month people hope to finish quickly

4 Likes

Re: Christmas Raises Risk Of Heart Attack by Ijaya123: 1:27pm On Dec 14, 2018
Very soon, ordinary sleeping will raise the risk of heart attack.

All these false alarmists. Second base abeg...

2 Likes

Re: Christmas Raises Risk Of Heart Attack by twinsluv: 1:27pm On Dec 14, 2018
grin
Re: Christmas Raises Risk Of Heart Attack by webizone(m): 1:27pm On Dec 14, 2018
Sorry to derail this thread but I just changed my sig to ask, what is wrong with Nairaland? How can be debased to this level? Why ask christian to swear to be a muslim before he can defend his faith on a muslim thread, but do no such thing for muslims visiting a christian thread?

6 Likes

Re: Christmas Raises Risk Of Heart Attack by twinsluv: 1:27pm On Dec 14, 2018
ikorodureporta:
cheesy
Good comparison

1 Like

Re: Christmas Raises Risk Of Heart Attack by pejuakinab: 1:27pm On Dec 14, 2018
How will Christmas give buhari heart attach?
Jubril sef...I blame u
Re: Christmas Raises Risk Of Heart Attack by JohnViruxz: 1:28pm On Dec 14, 2018
heart attack kee.

heat attack is for those that have eye-lashes-girlfriend with heavenly budgets.

1 Like

Re: Christmas Raises Risk Of Heart Attack by anambraamaka: 1:28pm On Dec 14, 2018
True haha
Re: Christmas Raises Risk Of Heart Attack by Lucifer66(m): 1:28pm On Dec 14, 2018
The human body is so weak that's it ridiculous.
Re: Christmas Raises Risk Of Heart Attack by Simplecity(m): 1:28pm On Dec 14, 2018
Re: Christmas Raises Risk Of Heart Attack by Nobody: 1:28pm On Dec 14, 2018
No be by force to kee goat oh. As I dey so, I no sure say I even fit kee fish dat day, except for emergency rescue; 0108972134, gtb. Even if na N50, I go appreciate.
Re: Christmas Raises Risk Of Heart Attack by Ayobami7(m): 1:29pm On Dec 14, 2018
I Thank God that I don't celebrate Christmas, Jehovah witness for life

1 Like

Re: Christmas Raises Risk Of Heart Attack by abdulaz: 1:29pm On Dec 14, 2018
They should come and conduct the phase two of the research in Nigeria grin
Re: Christmas Raises Risk Of Heart Attack by kuntash: 1:29pm On Dec 14, 2018
while baba Ijebu lowers the risks abi ?
Re: Christmas Raises Risk Of Heart Attack by Bishopcarter202(m): 1:30pm On Dec 14, 2018
grin
Re: Christmas Raises Risk Of Heart Attack by meobizy(f): 1:30pm On Dec 14, 2018
This is news concerning the unhealthy and poor.
I exercise, my heart is strong enough to take most physical and emotional stressors.
It reminds me of one man in my village who always pleaded with my relatives, saying he can give out his children as helpers in their houses. He claimed anytime he saw one out of his ten offspring grow to secondary school age he had constant anxiety attacks over how to pay their ever increasing school fees.
Re: Christmas Raises Risk Of Heart Attack by abdulaz: 1:31pm On Dec 14, 2018
They should come and conduct the phase two of the research in Nigeria grin

They will get a very perfect result.

It’s only in Nigeria that people do crazy things just to meet up with the Christmas wahala.

But dem forget say another Christmas go come next year.

1 Like

Re: Christmas Raises Risk Of Heart Attack by meobizy(f): 1:33pm On Dec 14, 2018
webizone:
Sorry to derail this thread but I just changed my sig to ask, what is wrong with Nairaland? How can be debased to this level? Why ask christian to swear to be a muslim before he can defend his faith on a muslim thread, but do no such thing for muslims visiting a christian thread?
Has your Christianity made you a world renowned billionaire? What good has it done for your life?
Answer those first before I fire more rounds of questions.
Re: Christmas Raises Risk Of Heart Attack by abdulaz: 1:33pm On Dec 14, 2018
meobizy:
This is news concerning the unhealthy and poor.
I exercise, my heart is strong enough to take most physical and emotional stressors.
It reminds me of one man in my village who always pleaded with my relatives, saying he can give out his children as helpers in their houses. He claimed anytime he saw one out of his ten offspring grow to secondary school age he had constant anxiety attacks over how to pay their ever increasing school fees.

But the man no get heart attack when he dey impregnate him wife.

Yeye fellow.

3 Likes

Re: Christmas Raises Risk Of Heart Attack by Bwoychi(m): 1:33pm On Dec 14, 2018
cool
Re: Christmas Raises Risk Of Heart Attack by ZombieTAMER: 1:33pm On Dec 14, 2018
Buhari increases blood pressure in Nigeria and not Christmas...

Ask Yoruba Muslims if you doubt me

1 Like

Re: Christmas Raises Risk Of Heart Attack by pinkguy(m): 1:34pm On Dec 14, 2018
Baba buhari why ?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Use Scent Leaf To Cure Pile Permanently / Cloth Nappies By Mima Bear - Washable, Reusable, Natural Cloth Diapers / Butt Implants Gone Horribly Wrong Pics Discretion Advised

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.