Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,044 members, 7,814,570 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:18 PM

Very Important!!!what Is 'aura' In Yoruba Language? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Very Important!!!what Is 'aura' In Yoruba Language? (2226 Views)

Yoruba Dad Teaching His Biracial Kids Yoruba Language (Video) / Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning / Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Very Important!!!what Is 'aura' In Yoruba Language? by Nostradamus: 7:20pm On Dec 19, 2018
Hello my noble people here, please I want to know the Yoruba term for aura. Aura of a thing/person.pls it's very important, I need for a presentation am working on. Please reply me, I will really appreciate this.

The Yoruba word for AURA

AURA.
Re: Very Important!!!what Is 'aura' In Yoruba Language? by Nobody: 7:29pm On Dec 19, 2018
Ifihan is Yoruba word for "presence" which can be used in place of Aura because Aura is purely an English word it does not have Yoruba translation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Very Important!!!what Is 'aura' In Yoruba Language? by MetaPhysical: 7:42pm On Dec 19, 2018
Nostradamus:
Hello my noble people here, please I want to know the Yoruba term for aura. Aura of a thing/person.pls it's very important, I need for a presentation am working on. Please reply me, I will really appreciate this.

The Yoruba word for AURA

AURA.

So, what language is Aura and what does it mean in that language?
Re: Very Important!!!what Is 'aura' In Yoruba Language? by Nostradamus: 8:05pm On Dec 19, 2018
MetaPhysical:

So, what language is Aura and what does it mean in that language?
an example of aura is if you see a man and you said 'I love that man, he has the aura of a gentleman'. Or if they accuse someone of having the aura of a tout.

Some people also call it vibe. It's an English word.i don't know the Yoruba interpretation,i know I will get the answer here.
Re: Very Important!!!what Is 'aura' In Yoruba Language? by googi: 8:19pm On Dec 19, 2018
Aura in Yoruba can be closely defined as a star presence, IRAWO E. Roughly it is OWO that is felt but cannot be touched. But then to BOWO is to show respect.
Re: Very Important!!!what Is 'aura' In Yoruba Language? by Nostradamus: 9:55pm On Dec 19, 2018
Ire2:
Ifihan is Yoruba word for "presence" which can be used in place of Aura because Aura is purely an English word it does not have Yoruba translation.
thanks sir, I appreciate this.

1 Like

Re: Very Important!!!what Is 'aura' In Yoruba Language? by Nostradamus: 9:56pm On Dec 19, 2018
googi:
Aura in Yoruba can be closely defined as a star presence, IRAWO E. Roughly it is OWO that is felt but cannot be touched. But then to BOWO is to show respect.
thank you sir
Re: Very Important!!!what Is 'aura' In Yoruba Language? by YourNemesis: 3:38am On Dec 20, 2018
Ogo
Re: Very Important!!!what Is 'aura' In Yoruba Language? by MetaPhysical: 4:51am On Dec 20, 2018
Nostradamus:
an example of aura is if you see a man and you said 'I love that man, he has the aura of a gentleman'. Or if they accuse someone of having the aura of a tout.

Some people also call it vibe. It's an English word.i don't know the Yoruba interpretation,i know I will get the answer here.

So in conclusion you need to have the person in view in order to see and remark on the aura? If a person was out of view is their aura perceivable?
Re: Very Important!!!what Is 'aura' In Yoruba Language? by 2prexios: 1:07pm On Dec 22, 2018
irinisi ni isonilojo:

irinisi, iriunsi, outlook, appearance, imagery.

isonilojo: isounlojo: description, aura, likeliness.

Iri ni si ni iso ni l'ojo (literally, the way one is seen conveys the name [of what] one looks like).

Soro: (healthy envy) ji soro, to be charmed by the aura of another fellow. There is no perfect word for what the word aura connotes in Yoruba, as you have in light/imole, word for word, but ideas like the word "aura" exists in "proximity" to the sense of the word in question, such as you have here:

"mo ji soro e" means, "I adore your aura", "I'm awaken by your persona", "I stole [a glance? at] your elegance".

2 Likes

Re: Very Important!!!what Is 'aura' In Yoruba Language? by Nostradamus: 1:34pm On Dec 22, 2018
2prexios:
irinisi ni isonilojo:

irinisi, iriunsi, outlook, appearance, imagery.

isonilojo: isounlojo: description, aura, likeliness.

Iri ni si ni iso ni l'ojo (literally, the way one is seen conveys the name [of what] one looks like).

Soro: (healthy envy) ji soro, to be charmed by the aura of another fellow. There is no perfect word for what the word aura connotes in Yoruba, as you have in light/imole, word for word, but ideas like the word "aura" exists in "proximity" to the sense of the word in question, such as you have here:

"mo ji soro e" means, "I adore your aura", "I'm awaken by your persona".
thanks sir. One ondo lady told me yesterday evening that aura is suura(i don't know if i get the spelling correctly).

So aura can be said to be isonilojo
Re: Very Important!!!what Is 'aura' In Yoruba Language? by Nostradamus: 1:49pm On Dec 22, 2018
MetaPhysical:

So in conclusion you need to have the person in view in order to see and remark on the aura? If a person was out of view is their aura perceivable?
There are some people that whenever you meet them,something always comes to your mind. That's the aura.i know a boy, if you see him,you get the notion that he's a feeble weak-minded fellow.some guys easily find themselves among ladies wherever they are,that's the aura.some get easily noticed whenever they are in a group,that's the aura.

Aura=a feeling/atmosphere that surrounds a person. The Yoruba term for it is what i need.
Re: Very Important!!!what Is 'aura' In Yoruba Language? by 2prexios: 4:03pm On Dec 22, 2018
Nostradamus:
thanks sir. One ondo lady told me yesterday evening that aura is suura(i don't know if i get the spelling correctly).

So aura can be said to be isonilojo

That's perfect word for it, but just too good to be true.

The reason is that sura seems to be a loan word from arabic suratul-, (quranic chapters), akori kurani alaponle, as a Yoruba Muslim would likely put it.

If so, akori is Yoruba for Arabic sura, but akori is also a shorter way of saying "irinisi ni isonilojo": because akori comes from the phrase "contact-seen" or put more aptly, "seen on contact" or "first impression" in English colloquial, where ak is first and ori headline.

The word for contact is ako, it is also the word for first, or ako-si-ori, ako-ori, the opening theme, the headline, the topic or the rider. The usage example is, "akori oro mi ni pe, gbogbo un ti abanse kafi suuru si."

Sura in that usage is similar to karamasiki, both are not Yoruba lexicon. Karamasiki is a Yoruba stretch of "charismatic" but you won't know based on the way they use it: "ko kin karamasiki nkan", meaning "he has lackadaisical attitude to things".

Just as you wont say karamasiki is Yoruba for prudence (which is more like borrowing a "borrowed English word" from Yoruba lexicon to interpret an English word at the expense of a suitable Yoruba word, e.g. gba-jumo, s[ala]akoso, saajo nkan), same goes for sura.

My take is, using "sura" is silencing (one of) the Yoruba's best option for aura, which is "akori". I can say for instance "akori e bi ti'kemu elemu" her aura exhumes the imagery of the gourde of a palm wine tapper."
Re: Very Important!!!what Is 'aura' In Yoruba Language? by FisifunKododada: 12:46am On Dec 23, 2018
Sura is your best option.

1 Like

Re: Very Important!!!what Is 'aura' In Yoruba Language? by SAMBARRY: 7:17am On Dec 23, 2018
Ire2:
YOU LIE!

there's no English word Yoruba's don't have.it's called ifarahan
Re: Very Important!!!what Is 'aura' In Yoruba Language? by Nobody: 7:37am On Dec 23, 2018
SAMBARRY:
YOU LIE!

there's no English word Yoruba's don't have.it's called ifarahan

Well not everyone understand Yoruba deep and perfectly lol na where I know reach I tell am
Re: Very Important!!!what Is 'aura' In Yoruba Language? by SAMBARRY: 10:09am On Dec 23, 2018
Ire2:

Well not everyone understand Yoruba deep and perfectly lol na where I know reach I tell am
then oyeko admit e.koyeko soro affirmatively benipe owa sure wink
Re: Very Important!!!what Is 'aura' In Yoruba Language? by kayfra: 4:46pm On Dec 27, 2018
Akitiyan

(1) (Reply)

Why Do U Enjoy Speaking English Instead Of Ur Native / ????????? / Quick Question For Yoruba People (and Igbos Too)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.