Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,122 members, 7,811,158 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:44 AM

Why The Prophet (S A W) Prevent Ali From Marrying Second Wife - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Why The Prophet (S A W) Prevent Ali From Marrying Second Wife (1255 Views)

He Wants To Attribute His Child From His Second Wife To His First Wife. / Revive The Sunnah Of The Prophet (s.a.w) / The Prophet Of Islam (S. A. W) Did Not Marry A 9 Year Girl (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why The Prophet (S A W) Prevent Ali From Marrying Second Wife by Biodun556(m): 4:53pm On Dec 20, 2018
Possible explanations for the Prophet’s decision
It is true that the Prophet stopped Ali from bringing a co-wife for Fatimah. However, we should not assume that this was just due to his love for her. Polygamy was allowed for all other Muslim marriages. There can be several reasons why the Prophet prevented it for his daughter’s marriage to Ali.
– He knew well the personalities and natures of both Fatimah and Ali. He had practically raised both of them, as an older parent and a guardian, respectively. Fatimah was still a very young girl. He foresaw, based on wisdom, that a co-wife would put her faith to severe trial. This trial would outweigh the benefit of the second marriage. So he clearly stated so.
– Marriages served special purposes and involved social repercussions for the Prophet and his family members. Ali was part of the Prophet’s close family (his biological nephew). Ali wanted to marry the daughter of one of the Prophet’s greatest deceased enemies (Abu Jahl). Marrying her would mean being related to her extended family, and having children from her. This could cause more harm to Fatimah and Ali, than good.
– Fatimah had once witnessed a traumatizing incident during her childhood involving Abu Jahl. She saw him dump animal filth on her father’s back as he prostrated near the Kabah. She was still very young as Ali’s wife. It is possible that the hurtful incident was still very fresh in her memory. Having the daughter of the man whom her father had prayed against, as a co-wife, could traumatize her.

1 Like

Re: Why The Prophet (S A W) Prevent Ali From Marrying Second Wife by Empiree: 5:46pm On Dec 20, 2018
Following
Re: Why The Prophet (S A W) Prevent Ali From Marrying Second Wife by Biodun556(m): 9:46am On Dec 21, 2018
cool
Re: Why The Prophet (S A W) Prevent Ali From Marrying Second Wife by Biodun556(m): 2:16pm On Dec 22, 2018
Allah The Almighty granted Muslims a great victory over the Jews in the Battle of Khaybar, and Safiyyah, may Allah be pleased with her, was one of the captives in this battle.

The Prophet, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, said to her: "Your father remained the staunchest Jewish enemy to me until Allah The Almighty killed him. O Safiyyah, if you choose Islam, I will keep you as my wife; if you choose Judaism, I may release you and let you join your people."

She replied, "O Messenger of Allah, Allah The Almighty Says [(what means)]: {And no bearer of burdens will bear the burden of another.} [Quran 39:7] I appreciate Islam and I have believed in you even before I ended up in your custody. Moreover, I am in no need of Judaism, nor do I have a father or a brother under it. Since you have given me the option to choose between Islam and disbelief, I do prefer Allah The Almighty and His Messenger to being freed and returned to my people." [Ibn Sa‘d]
Re: Why The Prophet (S A W) Prevent Ali From Marrying Second Wife by Biodun556(m): 2:32pm On Dec 22, 2018
Safiyyah, may Allah be pleased with her, married the Prophet, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, at the age of 17, and, despite her young age, she had been married twice before that. She was first married to Salaam ibn Mishkam Al-Qurathi, the warrior of her tribe and one of its great poets. She then married Kinaanah ibn Ar-Rabee‘, the defender of the fort of Al-Qamoos, which was the strongest fort in Khaybar.

Safiyyah, may Allah be pleased with her, related that when she married the Prophet, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, he saw a bruise near her eye. So, he asked: "What is this, Safiyyah?" She said, "I saw in my dreams that a moon fell into my lap. When I told my husband about that dream, he slapped me very hard, saying, ‘You desire to be under the king who comes from Madeenah (referring to the Prophet, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam).” [Ibn Sa‘d]
Re: Why The Prophet (S A W) Prevent Ali From Marrying Second Wife by Nobody: 10:54am On Dec 23, 2018
Very simple question.
The answers to the question is in the hadith.

Simple as ABC
Re: Why The Prophet (S A W) Prevent Ali From Marrying Second Wife by AlBaqir(m): 4:47am On Dec 25, 2018
Biodun556:
possible explanations for the Prophet’s decision

I just written a book titled, "Reality of the verse of purification (Haqiqat Ayat at-Taheer)", to be published soon in sha Allah. The issue is discussed in detail in it. However, here's the glimpse from it:

THE STORY WAS NOTHING BUT FABRICATION

First, there are two contradictory report to the hadith:

FIRST VERSION:

Imam Bukhari documents Chapter: Attempt to prevent the daughter’s jealousy

Narrated Al-Miswar bin Makhrama:

I heard Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) who was on the pulpit, saying, " Banu Hisham bin Al-Mughira have requested me to allow them to marry their daughter to `Ali bin Abu Talib, but I don’t give permission, and will not give permission unless `Ali bin Abi Talib divorces my daughter in order to marry their daughter, because Fatima is a part of my body, and I hate what she hates to see, and what hurts her, hurts me."

Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari 5230In-book reference : Book 67, Hadith 163USC-MSA web (English) Reference : Vol. 7, Book 62, Hadith 157 ; https://sunnah.com/bukhari/67/163

SECOND VERSION OF THE STORY:

(Imam Zain-ul-Abidin) Ali b. Husain reported that when they came to Medina from Yazid b. Muawiya after the martyrdom of Husain b. Ali (Allah be pleased with him) Miswar b. Makhramah met him and said to him:

Verily Ali b. Abi Talib sent a proposal of marriage to the daughter of Abu Jahl in spite of (the fact that his wife) Fatima (had been living in his house). Thereupon I heard Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) say while....

Reference : Sahih Muslim 2449 cIn-book reference : Book 44, Hadith 139USC-MSA web (English) reference : Book 31, Hadith 6001; https://sunnah.com/muslim/44/139

IMPLICATIONS

Second, according to al-Hafiz ibn Hajar al-Asqalani in his famous fath al-barr fi sharh sahih al-Bukhari (7/86), this alleged event happened after the conquest of Makkah. That is, an approximately 7 years after the death of Abu Jahl. Abu Jahl who was an arc enemy of the Prophet who died in the battle of Badr in the year 2 A. H. 7 years later, that is, in the 9th year Hijrah, Allah's Messenger conquered Makkah where all the opposing tribes, families and individuals of Makkah submitted to the Prophet and accepted Islam. Likewise, the Banu Hisham ibn al-Mughira, a sub-clan of Quraysh, where Abu Jahl came from also submitted and accepted Islam.

Third, according to the first version of this alleged story documented in Sahih al-Bukhari, it was Banu Hisham ibn al-Mughira that sent request to the Prophet to marry their daughter to Ali ibn Abi Talib, the self of the Prophet. This seems to be understandable in the fact that once avowed enemy of the Prophet intended to prove loyalty and bury the hatchet of discord. One of better ways to do this is via marriage ties. Abu Sufyan who was of the same status as Abu Jahl in their hostility towards Islam and the Prophet, also surrendered and accepted Islam at the conquest of Makkah. (According to another false hadith in sahih Muslim) Abu Sufyan himself offered the hand of his daughter, Umm Habiba, in marriage to the Prophet.

Fourth, in a very sharp contrast, the second version of the story documented by Imam Muslim in his Sahih alleged that it was Ali ibn Abi Talib himself who sent a proposal to the Banu Hisham ibn al-Mughira to marry Abu Jahl’s daughter. And the version of Imam alHakim claimed only after Ali had sent marriage proposal was when he informed the Prophet of his plan.

In short, which version should we believe: was it Banu Hisham ibn al-Mughira that sent request to the Prophet to allow them marry their daughter to Ali ibn Abi Talib or it was Ali that sent marriage request to them to marry their daughter, without Prophet’s consent? This kick starts the collapse of this concocted story.

1 Like

Re: Why The Prophet (S A W) Prevent Ali From Marrying Second Wife by AlBaqir(m): 4:48am On Dec 25, 2018
Fifth, this story raise a lot of questions and the Sunni Ulama tried their utmost best to answer vis-a-vis defending the “authenticity” of the story (especially the second version).

* Why would the Prophet denied Ali a permissible act (taking up second wife) when he himself had several wives?

The First version of the story documented the alleged Prophet’s defense thus: “ I don’t give permission, and will not give permission unless `Ali bin Abi Talib divorces my daughter in order to marry their daughter, because Fatima is a part of my body, and I hate what she hates to see, and what hurts her, hurts me

In short, it seems Bibi Fatima allegedly hated to see her husband taking up another wife. But why? Didn't she read in the Quran the legislation and permission for a believing man to marry up to four wives? Why did the Prophet allegedly supported her daughter instead of cautioning and correcting her?

* No, it was to guide against JEALOUSY, declared Ahlu Sunnah Ulama! Imam Bukhari documented the hadith under the chapter:

“Attempt to prevent the daughter's jealousy”.

There seem to be few facts from the second version of the story and things get messier.

The second version states:

“...He (the Prophet) said: Fatima is a part of me and I fear that she may be put to trial in regard to religion. He then made a mention of his son-in law who had been from the tribe of Abd Shams and praised his behaviour as a son-in-law and said: Whatever he said to me he told the truth and whatever he promised he fulfilled it for me. I am not going to declare forbidden what is lawful and make lawful what is forbidden, but, by Allah, the daughter of Allah’s Messenger and the daughter of the enemy of Allah can never be combined at one place.”

From this new revelation, following are gathered:

1. Prophet allegedly denied Ali of marrying second wife to safeguard the religion of her daughter – to prevent her from being jealous as jealous is said to destroy faith.

2. Ali ibn Abi Talib seemed to have breached his oath of not marrying a second wife while Bibi Fatima is still alive. On this, Al-Hafiz ibn Hajar al-Asqalani in his fath al-barr fi sharh sahih al-bukhari (9/329) writes:

“...Thus it seems to me that it is not far-fetched to suggest that one of the unique characteristics of the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) was that his sonsin-law were not to marry other wives when they were married to his daughters. Or it may be that this is something that applied only to Faatimah (may Allah be pleased with her).”

3. Prophet still allegedly have contempt for Abu Jahl who had died 7 years before this alleged marriage proposition. This seems to explain the alleged sentence, “...by Allah, the daughter of Allah’s Messenger and the daughter of the enemy of Allah can never be combined at one place.”
Re: Why The Prophet (S A W) Prevent Ali From Marrying Second Wife by AlBaqir(m): 4:49am On Dec 25, 2018
All these are weighty and serious allegations levelled against the Prophet of mercy and his purified Ahl al-bayt, salallahu alayhi wa ahli.

4. Why would the Prophet of Allah prevent her daughter from facing trial of jealousy while he himself subjected daughters of other believers into similar trial (approving polygamy)?

5. How does it sounds that Fatima, the doyenne and chief of believing women of this Ummah and the leader of women of Paradise was feared by her father to fail trials?

Obviously she was part of the believers being addressed by Allah thus:
Surah Al-Ankaboot, Verse 2 – 3:

Do men think that they will be left alone on saying, We believe, and not be tried?

And certainly We tried those before them, so Allah will certainly know those who are true and He will certainly know the liars.”

Titles especially the impeccable ones (like Sayyidat nisa al-mumineen – doyenne and chief of believing women) does not come at a silver platter without having faced and withstand incomparable trials. Bibi Fatima, peace be upon her, was one of the best four women of Paradise. The rest being, Hazrat Khadijah, Hazrat Maryam and Hazrat Asiyah, the wife of Pharaoh. Each of these mentioned names faced series of trials, came out in flying colors and became rewarded and exalted by their Lord. Why would that of Fatima defers?

This story in question belittle the impeccable status of Bibi Fatima. It presented her weak who was only being favoured and protected by her father. Therefore, should we be questioning the authenticity of this story or the status of Hazrat Fatima?

6. And why would Hazrat Ali ibn Abi Talib breeched his oath and promises to the extent that Prophet allegedly remembered how truthful his once upon a time son-in-law was in being truthful to his promise? Was Hazrat Ali ibn Abi Talib not aware of the following noble verses:

Surah Al-Isra, Verse 34:

“...and fulfill the promise; surely (every) promise shall be questioned about.”

Surah Al-Maeda, Verse 1:
O you who believe! fulfill the obligations

Excuse that perhaps Hazrat Ali ibn Abi Talib might have forgotten his promise is to be thrown out of the window when one consider the fact that he allegedly sent marriage proposal behind Prophet’s back. Therefore, what kind of believer was Ali ibn Abi Talib when he breeches promise? And had Ali not been able to follow Quranic orders, why would the Prophet, salallahu alayhi wa ahli, says, “Ali is with the Quran and the Quran is with Ali; both will never separate (from each other) until they meet me at the pond (in Qiyamat)”

* And lastly, why would the Prophet allegedly denied the marriage proposal of Banu Hisham ibn al-Mughira for the fact that the daughter in question was Abu Jahl’s daughter? Abu Jahl was long dead as a Kafir. His daughter and clan had submitted to Islam. Prophet himself accepted Abu Sufyan’s daughter as wife knowing the father was once a staunch enemy of Allah. So, why the exception in the case of Abu Jahl’s daughter and clan? Why taking up the father’s kufr on the believing daughter?

Obviously, this (contradictory versions of the) story can never stand scrutiny. Just like Quran states that any book from other than Allah is bound to be replete in discrepancies.

1 Like

Re: Why The Prophet (S A W) Prevent Ali From Marrying Second Wife by Biodun556(m): 6:21am On Dec 25, 2018
AlBaqir:

All these are weighty and serious allegations levelled against the Prophet of mercy and his purified Ahl al-bayt, salallahu alayhi wa ahli.

4. Why would the Prophet of Allah prevent her daughter from facing trial of jealousy while he himself subjected daughters of other believers into similar trial (approving polygamy)?

5. How does it sounds that Fatima, the doyenne and chief of believing women of this Ummah and the leader of women of Paradise was feared by her father to fail trials?

Do men think that they will be left alone on saying, We believe, and not be tried?

And certainly We tried those before them, so Allah will certainly know those who are true and He will certainly know the liars.”

Titles especially the impeccable ones (like Sayyidat nisa al-mumineen – doyenne and chief of believing women) does not come at a silver platter without having faced and withstand incomparable trials. Bibi Fatima, peace be upon her, was one of the best four women of Paradise. The rest being, Hazrat Khadijah, Hazrat Maryam and Hazrat Asiyah, the wife of Pharaoh. Each of these mentioned names faced series of trials, came out in flying colors and became rewarded and exalted by their Lord. Why would that of Fatima defers?

This story in question belittle the impeccable status of Bibi Fatima. It presented her weak who was only being favoured and protected by her father. Therefore, should we be questioning the authenticity of this story or the status of Hazrat Fatima?

6. And why would Hazrat Ali ibn Abi Talib breeched his oath and promises to the extent that Prophet allegedly remembered how truthful his once upon a time son-in-law was in being truthful to his promise? Was Hazrat Ali ibn Abi Talib not aware of the following noble verses:

Surah Al-Isra, Verse 34:

Surah Al-Maeda, Verse 1:

Excuse that perhaps Hazrat Ali ibn Abi Talib might have forgotten his promise is to be thrown out of the window when one consider the fact that he allegedly sent marriage proposal behind Prophet’s back. Therefore, what kind of believer was Ali ibn Abi Talib when he breeches promise? And had Ali not been able to follow Quranic orders, why would the Prophet, salallahu alayhi wa ahli, says, “Ali is with the Quran and the Quran is with Ali; both will never separate (from each other) until they meet me at the pond (in Qiyamat)”

* And lastly, why would the Prophet allegedly denied the marriage proposal of Banu Hisham ibn al-Mughira for the fact that the daughter in question was Abu Jahl’s daughter? Abu Jahl was long dead as a Kafir. His daughter and clan had submitted to Islam. Prophet himself accepted Abu Sufyan’s daughter as wife knowing the father was once a staunch enemy of Allah. So, why the exception in the case of Abu Jahl’s daughter and clan? Why taking up the father’s kufr on the believing daughter?

Obviously, this (contradictory versions of the) story can never stand scrutiny. Just like Quran states that any book from other than Allah is bound to be replete in discrepancies.

JazakumuLahu khairan

1 Like

Re: Why The Prophet (S A W) Prevent Ali From Marrying Second Wife by AlBaqir(m): 7:04am On Dec 25, 2018
Biodun556:

JazakumuLahu khairan

Wa iyyakum akhi al-azeez
Re: Why The Prophet (S A W) Prevent Ali From Marrying Second Wife by true2god: 8:10am On Dec 25, 2018
AlBaqir:

Surah Al-Isra, Verse 34:

Surah Al-Maeda, Verse 1:

In my next life if Providence makes it possible for me to be born in the Muslim world, I would prefer being a Shi'a. I don't agree with most of what you always say, but one thing is certain, you try your best to be as fair and reasonable as possible and this is a trait among many Shi'a Muslims. Though the Sunnis will claim full legitimacy to Islam, but over 90% of them are never critical of sahih bukhari. If Islam is to collapse today, sahih bukhari is enough to do that job because there are so many narrations there that portray the of Islam as being a bloodthirsty warlord and equally spoke Ill of him. Sahih bukhari is a bad representation of Islam and its image.

Back to this topic, it is either the narrations in these hadith that shows Mohammed's disapproval of Imam Ali taking a second wife is weak or fabricated, or the prophet of Islam does not abide by his own standard. If Mohammed can marry the daughter of one of his worst enemies, Abu Sufiyan, the daughter of the chief of the Jewish tribe of khaibar, who died in the hands of Mohammed's men during the invasion of khaibar (sahih bukhari 1:367), why can't Imam Ali marry the daughter of his late antagonist, Abu Jahl?

This is a type of hypocrisy that makes people see Islam as a joke.
Re: Why The Prophet (S A W) Prevent Ali From Marrying Second Wife by AlBaqir(m): 10:58am On Dec 25, 2018
true2god:
Back to this topic, it is either the narrations in these hadith that shows Mohammed's disapproval of Imam Ali taking a second wife is weak or fabricated, or the prophet of Islam does not abide by his own standard

The story is nothing but a fabrication. Period.
Re: Why The Prophet (S A W) Prevent Ali From Marrying Second Wife by tintingz(m): 6:15pm On Dec 25, 2018
Talk of hypocrisy and selfishness. Lol.

3 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Which God Did Muhammad Serve Before He Became A Prophet? / Wahhabi/Salafist Preacher Molested and Killed Daughter With Minimal Punishment / Humans Are Wicked - Woman Stoned For Adultery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.