Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,225 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:33 AM

Is This How The Work Suppose To Be Or Am I Killing(wasting)my Certificate? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is This How The Work Suppose To Be Or Am I Killing(wasting)my Certificate? (993 Views)

Caught My Boss In The Act; Am I Safe? / I"m I Suppose To Tell My Parent My Real Salary? / Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is This How The Work Suppose To Be Or Am I Killing(wasting)my Certificate? by Abn: 2:56pm On Aug 05, 2010
Pls NL,i work with a company and manages their Network of 12 LAN computers and have been on this for more than two years now.Its just a direct connection.(Direct on PC).There is no Windows Server 2003/2008,all clients use workgroup,nothing like domain this or domain that.The work is just to ensure that anytime network goes down,i will call the ISP if the problem is not within the IDU or LAN.The other part of the work is when a clients cannot access network,may be cable problem,or Virus,etc or computer get problem,or print connection/problem etc.Thats all.At a time,i come begin to ask myself what is the different between this thing i m doing with a work of Cybercafe attendant?.And my mind will be disturbed as if i am killing(Wasting)my degree certificate.Is this how Network Engineers work?,because i call myself a Network Engineer.I have my CCNA coupled with other trainings i under go.I have been applying to many places,but it has not clicked.Atimes i will start thinking whether to look for another things to do like going into business,than to be coming here and sit one place from morning till evening only to be doing the same work i mentioned above,the work look bored to me,no challenges,no new experience. Please i need advice,especially from Network/IT Engineers.
Re: Is This How The Work Suppose To Be Or Am I Killing(wasting)my Certificate? by expert101(m): 4:21pm On Aug 08, 2010
LET ME BEGIN BY ASKING YOU- wHAT EXACTLY DO YOU WANT TO DO? DO YOU HAVE DESIRE TO FIND ANOTHER WORK, CAREER OR EVEN BUSINESS LINE. IF YOU CAN TAKE TIME TO ANSWER THIS. THEN YOU ARE ON YOUR WAY TO SUCCESS.

it doesn't matter for now where you are; at least you have a job now; millions of job seekers and graduates don't have.
if on the other hand you want to get another job i will advise you to network properly- talk to family, friends and colleagues to help you find good jobs that are not advertised that as well pays well.

cheers bro!
Re: Is This How The Work Suppose To Be Or Am I Killing(wasting)my Certificate? by afrobaby(f): 1:32pm On Aug 09, 2010
U can brng up the idea os setting up an active directory and a domain, if u wish, u are the network engineer and d company expects u to bring up new / fresh innovations to the company.
Re: Is This How The Work Suppose To Be Or Am I Killing(wasting)my Certificate? by Iranoladun(f): 10:25am On Aug 10, 2010
You are indeed lucky Poster you are searching for another job and currently holds a job with so much time on your hands!

I'd advise you use the time well; why not take on some online courses or part time courses to improve your knowledge/skill in readiness for another job opportunity or your own business? Believe me, lots of people are praying for the kind of time you have now use it well wink
Re: Is This How The Work Suppose To Be Or Am I Killing(wasting)my Certificate? by DisGuy: 9:43pm On Aug 10, 2010
To be honest this is normal for many I.T workers on top of it they do shakara when they are called especially those bloody asian with their belcreemed hair cheesy

keep studying online or get something else to keep you occupied
Re: Is This How The Work Suppose To Be Or Am I Killing(wasting)my Certificate? by calipso(m): 12:55pm On Sep 12, 2010
@poster

i understand your plight

i also have ones be like that though i quickly took some risk and now am happy

i presently work wit an American IT firm, we do Information transport system, Network Infrastructure, Fiber, coper
we also do Interprise networking, technical security and Multimedia services.

to be frank wit you, i have learnt alot from this company, and my experiences are wonderful, i travel, meet new technologies and learn them,

so my advice for you are:
1. if u have alternative job where you will learn even if the pay is not much, just swish, no time or rather still enroll
for class if u have no other job, use the free time u have to learn more and prepare yourself.

NOTE
u have to choose which area of Technology u want specialize
but from what u said, it seems more like a network administrator, just register for MCSA and MCITP if have not gotten any, that includes server 2003 and 2008

will be willing to answer any further question
cheers

(1) (Reply)

Overseas Masters Online: I Need Some Advice / Amcon Test / Interested In Working For The Nia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.