Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,170 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:55 AM

Bangladesh Shuts Off Mobile Internet Ahead Of Election - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Bangladesh Shuts Off Mobile Internet Ahead Of Election (11585 Views)

Mike Itkis: Manhattan Candidate Releases Sextape To Woo Voters Ahead Of Election / Cyclone Amphan Tears Into India, Bangladesh, 5 Dead (Graphic Photos) / US Deploys Troops To Gabon Amid Fears Of Election Unrest In DR Congo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bangladesh Shuts Off Mobile Internet Ahead Of Election by obafemee80(m): 4:38am On Dec 30, 2018

The Bangladeshi government isn't just counting on Facebook and Twitter crackdowns to protect its December 30th parliamentary election. The country's Telecommunication Regulatory Commission has shut down 3G and 4G mobile data to "prevent rumors and propaganda" from skewing the vote. The measure took effect immediately and was poised to last through the end of election day.

Whether or not that's the main reason isn't clear -- the government doesn't exactly have a clean track record. Bangladesh temporarily shut off mobile internet access in August in an ostensible bid to curb violence at protests over road safety, but there's evidence suggesting that it wanted to stop the dissemination of media showing pro-government activists and police attacking protesters. In 2015, it also clamped down on individual messaging apps in an attempt to thwart protests.

This latest move might help prevent violence and misinformation, but it could also hinder the opposition's ability to rally support. Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina's administration has been accused of intimidating and imprisoning critics to help maintain power, and this could be another extension of that strategy.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/12/29/bangladesh-shuts-off-mobile-internet-ahead-of-election/

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/12/bangladesh-shuts-mobile-internet-lead-election-day-181229111353218.html

1 Like

Re: Bangladesh Shuts Off Mobile Internet Ahead Of Election by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:46am On Dec 30, 2018
Anything is possible.....

12 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Bangladesh Shuts Off Mobile Internet Ahead Of Election by madridguy(m): 4:51am On Dec 30, 2018
Good development.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bangladesh Shuts Off Mobile Internet Ahead Of Election by pacifique(m): 5:24am On Dec 30, 2018
This APC lala brought this to front page so that same measure ll be applied in the country abi?

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bangladesh Shuts Off Mobile Internet Ahead Of Election by enyice(m): 5:25am On Dec 30, 2018
na wa o!

How does any sane person support this?

the first too posters though, even for this early morning.

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bangladesh Shuts Off Mobile Internet Ahead Of Election by monsterg(m): 5:29am On Dec 30, 2018
fourth world country, mtchwww

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bangladesh Shuts Off Mobile Internet Ahead Of Election by Jabioro: 5:29am On Dec 30, 2018
Fraud and Backwardness to win by all means...

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bangladesh Shuts Off Mobile Internet Ahead Of Election by helinues: 5:31am On Dec 30, 2018
Better

The advantages supercede the disadvantages

2 Likes

Re: Bangladesh Shuts Off Mobile Internet Ahead Of Election by Compliant(m): 5:31am On Dec 30, 2018
BUHARI SHOULD NOT TRY THIS IN NIGERIA ELSE PDP WILL CRY FOUL

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bangladesh Shuts Off Mobile Internet Ahead Of Election by traihit: 5:35am On Dec 30, 2018
That's their way of preventing chaos. It doesn't also stop them from using the same method to their advantage.

3 Likes

Re: Bangladesh Shuts Off Mobile Internet Ahead Of Election by dingbang(m): 5:36am On Dec 30, 2018
Total rubbish

1 Like

Re: Bangladesh Shuts Off Mobile Internet Ahead Of Election by Haymaykar(m): 5:36am On Dec 30, 2018
<b>I wish these how Nigeria own will be.... just kidding..</b>
Re: Bangladesh Shuts Off Mobile Internet Ahead Of Election by Nobody: 5:36am On Dec 30, 2018
This can’t happen in Naija sha
Re: Bangladesh Shuts Off Mobile Internet Ahead Of Election by Yankee101: 5:37am On Dec 30, 2018
Dictatorships masquerading as democracies

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bangladesh Shuts Off Mobile Internet Ahead Of Election by eliwa47(m): 5:37am On Dec 30, 2018
This is Nigeria, its not possible here.
Re: Bangladesh Shuts Off Mobile Internet Ahead Of Election by easynetsms(m): 5:41am On Dec 30, 2018
They shouldn't try this in Nigeria cos I love browisng

Check my signature for the cheapest internet service .. 100% legit

1 Like

Re: Bangladesh Shuts Off Mobile Internet Ahead Of Election by NessaBoo(f): 5:42am On Dec 30, 2018
Definitely not right, this is the most critical moment in a democracy and they are using outdated laws that were created before the digital age to justify the shutdown by stifling the people. The internet helps us realise our human rights, including free expression and privacy.

All governments have a responsibility to respect and protect human rights, and to provide a remedy when rights are violated. But in truth there is currently no binding sanction or penalty for disrupting the internet, which is bad. angry very bad. angry

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Bangladesh Shuts Off Mobile Internet Ahead Of Election by BUSHHUNTER: 5:44am On Dec 30, 2018
No can't do!
Re: Bangladesh Shuts Off Mobile Internet Ahead Of Election by Randy100: 5:44am On Dec 30, 2018
Tyranny
Re: Bangladesh Shuts Off Mobile Internet Ahead Of Election by chrisdstar: 5:46am On Dec 30, 2018
This looks like the type of thing Buhari can do and as usual pretend he has no hand in it.

Just as the python dance 1n2 carried out in SEwas aimed at Aba n Onitsha, the python dance 3 would be aimed at states which are PDP strongholds,basically SS n SE

4 Likes

Re: Bangladesh Shuts Off Mobile Internet Ahead Of Election by anytexy: 5:47am On Dec 30, 2018
Our own is python dance.

1 Like

Re: Bangladesh Shuts Off Mobile Internet Ahead Of Election by merryossai(m): 5:50am On Dec 30, 2018
And they think by shutting down internet,they will decrease rumours? they better think twice! to stop rumours from travelling so fast the youth got to be engage with something to do,(especially the women that knows how to make rumour travel like speed of light).

1 Like

Re: Bangladesh Shuts Off Mobile Internet Ahead Of Election by mechanics(m): 5:59am On Dec 30, 2018
The government went too far.
Re: Bangladesh Shuts Off Mobile Internet Ahead Of Election by Nobody: 6:00am On Dec 30, 2018
this war zone is holding election?
Re: Bangladesh Shuts Off Mobile Internet Ahead Of Election by omojeesu(m): 6:03am On Dec 30, 2018
The endtimes are upon the world!

People wake up!

It can only get worse!

Jesus is coming back sooner than we think!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bangladesh Shuts Off Mobile Internet Ahead Of Election by Nobody: 6:03am On Dec 30, 2018
Lol
Re: Bangladesh Shuts Off Mobile Internet Ahead Of Election by kolaaderin: 6:04am On Dec 30, 2018
pacifique:
This APC lala brought this to front page so that same measure ll be applied in the country abi?

Yes dont you want same, all this fake results that trickle in before the end of vote should be cracked down.

1 Like

Re: Bangladesh Shuts Off Mobile Internet Ahead Of Election by Holybwoy: 6:04am On Dec 30, 2018
I clicked on this topic to see if there is any important info I can derive..

I got one.. we need this in naija in 2019 elections

1 Like

Re: Bangladesh Shuts Off Mobile Internet Ahead Of Election by Offpoint: 6:07am On Dec 30, 2018
That's not what I need here.
If I was God I'll shutdown Zombies brain next month so that they shouldn't vote jubrilla again.

Oh jeez, I forgot.... Zombies and brain shouldn't be in the same sentence. Maybe I'll just paralyze their legs and thumbs since they don't have brain.

2 Likes

Re: Bangladesh Shuts Off Mobile Internet Ahead Of Election by Gabzzz(m): 6:12am On Dec 30, 2018
With what I can see its not going to be a free and fair election

7 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Abiy Ahmed, Wins 2019 Nobel Peace Prize / Man Jailed For Killing A Monkey In The U.S. / Russia Reveals Identity Of CIA Spy Chief

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.