Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,214 members, 7,811,589 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:08 PM

Eight New Year Resolutions To Grow Your Savings - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Eight New Year Resolutions To Grow Your Savings (16013 Views)

Should I Use My Life Savings To Learn Solar Installation? / Improve Your Savings Culture For Good With Rosabon Ajo / 4 New Year Resolutions For Entrepreneurs! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eight New Year Resolutions To Grow Your Savings by adebuk47(m): 1:47am On Jan 02, 2019
When it comes to money, setting New Year’s resolutions for yourself is easy, but committing to and following through with those resolutions is a completely different story. This is why it is important to set realistic and achievable financial goals for yourself.

There is hardly a quicker way to shove those New Year’s resolutions aside than to realise that they are unattainable or that you have set the bar so high that only Warren Buffett himself could achieve them. That being said, here are a few ideas for money-saving New Year’s resolutions that are set to reasonable levels and thus promote continued progress throughout the year, according to www.moneycrashers.com.

Become debt-free

Let us start with the big one first – freeing yourself from debt. Whether this is a realistic and attainable goal is really dependant upon your financial and debt situation. How heavily you are in debt, what type of debt you hold (credit, car loan, mortgage, etc.), your income level, and the interest rates pertaining to your debt can all play into how quickly or how successful you are in becoming debt free.

It is often important to start with reducing credit card debt first since it will likely have the highest interest rate. Smaller debts amounts are also good spots to begin so that you build a little confidence by crossing them off your debt list, leaving you to focus on more problematic debt issues.

Make extra mortgage payments

Resolving to make an extra payment or two toward your mortgage can be a great way to start the year. By making an extra payment each year, not only are you reducing the time and amount it will take you to pay off your home, but you will be reducing the amount of interest those greedy banks receive. Since most mortgage interest rates are well below those of credit cards, it is important that you review any other debt with higher interest rates that may need to be dealt with first, before putting extra money toward your mortgage.

Find ways to generate side income

Picking up extra income can be a wonderful financial resolution. In a suffering economy, the peace of mind and supplemental income that comes with a second job or side business can be a great buffer against the stresses of economic strife. Even an extra thousand naira a month can be a great way to reach other financial goals like paying down debt, making an extra mortgage payment or starting an emergency fund.

Start a rainy day fund

If you don’t have one already, starting an emergency fund can be a good New Year’s resolution. You never know what tomorrow might hold when it comes to your finances, but with an emergency fund, you can face the unknown with a bit more confidence. While some financial gurus call for you to have some specific amount in the bank, you may want to stash a bit more than that. Even one or two months of your average income can go fast, so build up a fund you’re comfortable with. Bear in mind that if you have outstanding credit card debt, you might want to deal with that first to eliminate those costly interest payments.

Invest in your retirement

It is never too early to start planning for retirement – and these days it is hard to count on anyone but yourself to do it. Setting aside money for the future, or even just a savings or current account can start you on the path to a financially secure retirement.

Understand your investments

It is amazing just how many of us hold investments that we know little about. Nothing illustrates our lack of financial education better than the recent mortgage meltdown where many homeowners had no real understanding of the mortgages to which they had committed. Many of us associate understanding our investments and financial situation with knowing what stocks we own or how much we have contributed. Those are great first steps, but to commit further, we should understand topics such as where that money is invested, how much our credit costs us each year, and other similar financial information.

Learn to save

Learning to save sounds easy, but it does not happen overnight. Becoming accustomed to money-saving techniques can be a lengthy and involved process, especially for those of us who have not had much experience with it. Using coupons, looking for store discounts and sales, tracking our expenses, and utilising a budget are skills many of us have learned to do without until recently. A fresh year provides the perfect excuse to buckle down and become familiar with the saving process.

Build a budget

Starting off the year with a budget is an easy resolution that can be completed while watching television or soaking in the tub. Your budget does not have to be in a fancy spreadsheet with graphs and charts. A simple, hand-written list of expenses and incomes can get you started, and can be expanded later if needed. The hard part of this resolution is committing yourself to watching, modifying, and adhering to your budget over the course of the year. Consider putting your budget in an easy to see place like your refrigerator or computer desktop so that it will be a constant reminder of your financial goals and your commitment to those goals.
source:https://thebiggestgists..com/2019/01/eight-new-year-resolutions-to-grow-your.html

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Eight New Year Resolutions To Grow Your Savings by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:00am On Jan 03, 2019
GREAT THREAD....

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Eight New Year Resolutions To Grow Your Savings by slawomir: 7:00am On Jan 03, 2019
Isoright
Re: Eight New Year Resolutions To Grow Your Savings by dingbang(m): 7:00am On Jan 03, 2019
Dont date Nigerian ladies. Just be single for now grin

Just kidding anyways but I mean it angry

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eight New Year Resolutions To Grow Your Savings by englishmart(m): 7:00am On Jan 03, 2019
��� Na by new year resolutions?
Someone who earns 25k monthly, spends 8k on transportation, feeds himself and family with 15k monthly, that's small, but Wetin person go do?

Someone who hasn't eaten shouldn't save. One would only save if one could. An average man who earns 70k, might save at least 20k each month, but not someone who barely earns 15k.
Some people are left with no option but to owe. ���

9 Likes

Re: Eight New Year Resolutions To Grow Your Savings by nony43(m): 7:01am On Jan 03, 2019
Forget new year resolutions
Re: Eight New Year Resolutions To Grow Your Savings by Duplik8t77(m): 7:02am On Jan 03, 2019
I am tired of making resolutions that I will not keep

1 Like

Re: Eight New Year Resolutions To Grow Your Savings by FrankFrenzy(m): 7:02am On Jan 03, 2019
Good
Re: Eight New Year Resolutions To Grow Your Savings by Iruobean(m): 7:02am On Jan 03, 2019
sad
Re: Eight New Year Resolutions To Grow Your Savings by helinues: 7:03am On Jan 03, 2019
Good tips.
Re: Eight New Year Resolutions To Grow Your Savings by babeosisi: 7:03am On Jan 03, 2019
Stop sowing seed and tithing and giving first fruit to charlatans and spending weekdays in churches claiming this and that
Re: Eight New Year Resolutions To Grow Your Savings by anambraamaka: 7:03am On Jan 03, 2019
Great
Re: Eight New Year Resolutions To Grow Your Savings by Peacefultosin: 7:14am On Jan 03, 2019
englishmart:
Someone who earns 25k monthly, spends 8k on transportation, feeds himself and family with 15k monthly, that's small, but Wetin person go do?

Someone who hasn't eaten shouldn't save. One would only save if one could. An average man who earns 70k, might save at least 20k each month, but not someone who barely earns 15k.

You are absolutely correct. Adequacy is a condition for surplus.
Re: Eight New Year Resolutions To Grow Your Savings by Modupex(f): 7:17am On Jan 03, 2019
Thank you very much
Re: Eight New Year Resolutions To Grow Your Savings by chronique(m): 7:18am On Jan 03, 2019
My own way of saving is investing my money. I'm not cut out for putting money in the bank and leaving it to sit idly there. However, I want to start doing treasury bills this year. Heard the ROI from it is quite substantial.
Re: Eight New Year Resolutions To Grow Your Savings by KIDfurniture(m): 7:20am On Jan 03, 2019
Avoid jobless girls , avoid full time pastors , dont impress anyone .. enjoy the ride through 2019
Re: Eight New Year Resolutions To Grow Your Savings by RealityShot: 7:28am On Jan 03, 2019
adebuk47
very true..
number 7 ALONE can change your life!

VOTE BUHARI for continuity

#4+4NEXlevel
Re: Eight New Year Resolutions To Grow Your Savings by kizwid(m): 7:31am On Jan 03, 2019
chronique:
My own way of saving is investing my money. I'm not cut out for putting money in the bank and leaving it to sit idly there. However, I want to start doing treasury bills this year. Heard the ROI from it is quite substantial.
good opinion, still searching for where to invest, any help will be highly appreciated!
Re: Eight New Year Resolutions To Grow Your Savings by Didi2d(m): 7:33am On Jan 03, 2019
englishmart:

Bros, 70k sef no reach o
Re: Eight New Year Resolutions To Grow Your Savings by icejoel(m): 7:35am On Jan 03, 2019
babeosisi:
Stop sowing seed and tithing and giving first fruit to charlatans and spending weekdays in churches claiming this and that
you need Jesus

1 Like

Re: Eight New Year Resolutions To Grow Your Savings by Didi2d(m): 7:38am On Jan 03, 2019
babeosisi:

Lol, I was asking a friend of mine if he will pay his first fruit, the guy just hiss

1 Like

Re: Eight New Year Resolutions To Grow Your Savings by EmekaBlue(m): 7:42am On Jan 03, 2019
Nigerian girls

RUN RUN RUN
Re: Eight New Year Resolutions To Grow Your Savings by able1993(m): 7:43am On Jan 03, 2019
Cool points, financial management is very important.....

Do you think you can't make it in life or you need success strategies, best ways to approach life, grooming and guidance, way to academic and business success, or motivational and inspirational articles, then visit www.motivate.com.ng
Re: Eight New Year Resolutions To Grow Your Savings by EmekaBlue(m): 7:43am On Jan 03, 2019
Didi2d:

Bros, 70k sef no reach o
150k sef na wahala to save. More money more responsibilty....Y is good to hide how much u r paid

1 Like

Re: Eight New Year Resolutions To Grow Your Savings by chronique(m): 7:48am On Jan 03, 2019
kizwid:

good opinion, still searching for where to invest, any help will be highly appreciated!

Invest in things you like/have a flair for.
Re: Eight New Year Resolutions To Grow Your Savings by joepentwo(m): 7:55am On Jan 03, 2019
I can't even finish it
Re: Eight New Year Resolutions To Grow Your Savings by babeosisi: 8:11am On Jan 03, 2019
icejoel:
you need Jesus

He lives in me and I in him
Re: Eight New Year Resolutions To Grow Your Savings by babeosisi: 8:11am On Jan 03, 2019

(1) (2) (Reply)

10 Things You Must Do Before Quitting Your Job To Start Your Company / Job Vacancy At Total Oil Limited Nigeria / Whats The Graduate Salary At Shell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.