Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,754 members, 7,827,777 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:54 PM

Ribadu To Declare His Intention To Run For President - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ribadu To Declare His Intention To Run For President (986 Views)

Chuka Umunna Declares Intention To Run For Labour Leadership In UK / EXCLUSIVE-Jonathan,Muazu,Okonjo,FFK wooing Ribadu To PDP / Anenih Asks Jonathan To Declare His 2015 Intention By October (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ribadu To Declare His Intention To Run For President by chyz(m): 5:12am On Aug 09, 2010
[size=18pt] Ribadu To Declare His Intention To Run For President[/size]

Posted: August 9, 2010 - 04:50

SaharaReporters, New York

Saharareporters has learned that former chair of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission Nuhu Ribadu is on the cusp of declaring his intention to run for the office of the Nigerian presidency.

“The announcement of Nuhu’s candidacy will come any moment from now,” an authoritative source knowledgeable about the political development told Saharareporters exclusively.

Ribadu returned to Nigeria recently and took part in a high profile seminar organized by the National Association of Seadogs also known as Pyrates Fraternity.

Several sources told our correspondents that the former EFCC boss had been quietly holding meetings and consultations with politicians and political interests in different parts of the country.

“Ribadu has met with different groups in Kano, Kaduna, Lagos and Port Harcourt,” said one source, adding, “he has received great encouragement to run.”

During his first visit to Nigeria since going into a brief exile during the administration of the late Nigerian ruler Umaru Yar’adua, Ribadu reportedly visited with the wife and family of the deceased ruler to commiserate with them over his death.

“Each time Ribadu visited Nigeria, numerous politicians, labor leaders, student groups and even traditional rulers asked him to present himself as a candidate,” said one source. “A number of political parties also expressed interest in fielding him or mobilizing support for him,” said a former member of the House of Representatives who is aware of the ongoing political calculus.

Saharareporters sources indicated that Ribadu’s consultations with groups within Nigeria had now reached a critical point. “He is likely to declare his presidential bid within the next two or three weeks,” disclosed a source.

Our sources further revealed that Ribadu had already set up two presidential campaign offices in Lagos and Abuja and recruited some energetic and skilled staff to run the offices.

Among his campaign staff are his former Chief of Staff at the EFCC, Dapo Olorunyomi, and Chido Onumah who once headed Fix Nigeria, a civil society organ of the EFCC. Other campaign staff include Ms. Najatu Mohammed, a female political activist, and Ike Okonta, who is an author and prolific columnist. Our sources also indicated that some graduate students have signed up to work on his campaign. 

Saharareporters learned that Ribadu is likely to run on the ticket of the Action Congress party. One source said that the AC had asked Mr. Babafemi Ojudu, a well-known journalist and political activist, to help coordinate Ribadu's campaign.

Our sources said Ribadu was scheduled to meet with AC party leaders at the Lagos State Government House in Ikeja to finalize arrangements to enable the former EFCC chair to be the party’s presidential candidate.

One source told our correspondent, “Ribadu's popularity would go beyond the AC party,” adding “several parties have reached out to him to show support for his bid.”

Ribadu has recently made strong political speeches in Kaduna, Kano and Lagos enjoining youths to wrest power from the old guards.

One of his campaign staffers said that Ribadu would soon launch an interactive website. The source added that Ribadu intends to “rely heavily on grassroots funding to defeat the ‘old order’ that has held Nigeria down for decades.”

http://www.saharareporters.com/news-page/ribadu-declare-his-intention-run-president
Re: Ribadu To Declare His Intention To Run For President by chyz(m): 5:32am On Aug 09, 2010
Great news. If Ribadu runs, jonathan can forget it! As the times go on and by GJ's actions hes starting to seem kind of shady. One would wonder why Ribadu would run for presidency when jonathan brought him back into the playing field but its not about scratching backs its about the nigeria people period.
Re: Ribadu To Declare His Intention To Run For President by Pukkah: 9:29am On Aug 09, 2010
The race needs to be heated up. Jonathan must demonstrate beyond words that he can muster the courage to tackle the monsters of Nigeria. We must as a country look beyond IBB, Atiku and Jonathan.
Re: Ribadu To Declare His Intention To Run For President by Sharonf(f): 9:35am On Aug 09, 2010
I'll wait until he declares it.
Re: Ribadu To Declare His Intention To Run For President by candylips(m): 9:51am On Aug 09, 2010
i hope this turns out to be true.
Re: Ribadu To Declare His Intention To Run For President by Lawalemi(m): 11:11am On Aug 09, 2010
Except that it wa GJ that brought Nuhu back; I will still like to see the Obama/Mac Cain mould in GJ/Nuhu at 2011 Nigeria election.
Re: Ribadu To Declare His Intention To Run For President by Gadols(f): 11:59am On Aug 09, 2010
Ribadu would be more like it. Not a politician to the core. A man that should deliver his promise and take Nigeria to its desired place economically and socially. I hope he makes good his intension to run. This will change the political landscape of this country, and given the promise of a free and fair election where everyone's vote would count, the country may awake to a new order. I believe the country under Ribadu will move forward.
We will appeal to our youth to see this as a call to change. Its high time we sideline the money bags and old corrupt politicians and take our destiny in our own hands. Lets put hands together and support a worthy cause.
Re: Ribadu To Declare His Intention To Run For President by courage89(m): 3:55pm On Aug 09, 2010
I hope this is true. Nuhu Ribadu strikes me as one of those individual that can tackle corruption head on without fearing the consequences, or intimidation from those political godfathers based on his antecedents. Nigeria and Nigerians need that fearless individual that can cure that prevalence widespread disease that continues to hold our economy to ransom. Anybody that can do this will have my vote.
Re: Ribadu To Declare His Intention To Run For President by favouredjb(f): 6:17pm On Aug 09, 2010
Until I hear it from the horse's mouth,not speculations.And if truly ribadu's gonna run,under which platform do u guys think?
Re: Ribadu To Declare His Intention To Run For President by Nobody: 6:46pm On Aug 09, 2010
Ribadu's best National comment yet is his advice to IBB, Atiku and his in-law Buhari to quit politics and allow the younger generation to grow.

The trio of Buhari, Atiku and IBB are simply a obstacle to the younger generation up North. They are why younger leadership has not emerged.

I thank God Ribadu made it clear in bold terms that they should go and rest and pass the baton to younger generation.
Re: Ribadu To Declare His Intention To Run For President by chosen04(f): 7:06pm On Aug 09, 2010
I weep for this country.

If Ribadu wins it means that OBj will never be brought to book cos the guy never sees anything wrong in what ever OBj does. Baba daugher-in-law cossier is a saint as far as Ribadu is concerned.

****Shakes head *****
Re: Ribadu To Declare His Intention To Run For President by Nobody: 7:38pm On Aug 09, 2010
chosen04:

I weep for this country.

If Ribadu wins it means that OBj will never be brought to book cos the guy never sees anything wrong in what ever OBj does. Baba daugher-in-law cossier is a saint as far as Ribadu is concerned.

****Shakes head *****

if you honestly believe bringing OBJ to book is Nigeria's biggest problem then u got ur priorities twisted.
Re: Ribadu To Declare His Intention To Run For President by marcus1234: 7:39pm On Aug 09, 2010
Re: Ribadu To Declare His Intention To Run For President by rebranded(m): 10:07pm On Aug 09, 2010
This is good news if he eventually runs and wins, we can have some hope in a New Nigeria and PDP hold on the country will be broken.

I pray soo oo!!
Re: Ribadu To Declare His Intention To Run For President by becomrich3: 10:17pm On Aug 09, 2010
ribadu can only win by rigging. The south would not vote for ribadu. is tinubu or fashola still running in AC.? it is just a question.??
Re: Ribadu To Declare His Intention To Run For President by rebranded(m): 10:40pm On Aug 09, 2010
becomrich3:

ribadu can only win by rigging. The south would not vote for ribadu. is tinubu or fashola still running in AC.? it is just a question.??

Fashola will be Ribadu's running mate, so definitely he will win south also, and north wants to retain power so will vote him, this is a chance for AC to takeover power from PDP. PDP has gone against the zoning in their constitution and given a good chance to other parties to present a northerner, north will do everything to have another 4yrs. Ribadu can give AC the presidency
Re: Ribadu To Declare His Intention To Run For President by courage89(m): 11:05pm On Aug 09, 2010
rebranded:

Fashola will be Ribadu's running mate, so definitely he will win south also, and north wants to retain power so will vote him, this is a chance for AC to takeover power from PDP. PDP has gone against the zoning in their constitution and given a good chance to other parties to present a northerner, north will do everything to have another 4yrs. Ribadu can give AC the presidency

How do you know? Source
Re: Ribadu To Declare His Intention To Run For President by Obiagu1(m): 12:29am On Aug 10, 2010
I heard that AC would form a coalition with APGA with Ribadu running for President and Peter Obi as VP.
Would be a nice combination though.
Ribadu/Obi
Re: Ribadu To Declare His Intention To Run For President by rebranded(m): 12:38am On Aug 10, 2010
courage89:

How do you know? Source

Fashola already said he is not running for 2nd term

No source just a guess
Re: Ribadu To Declare His Intention To Run For President by rebranded(m): 12:41am On Aug 10, 2010
Obiagu1:

I heard that AC would form a coalition with APGA with Ribadu running for President and Peter Obi as VP.
Would be a nice combination though.
Ribadu/Obi

I dont know Peter Obi's track record, but i feel to win southern states fashola is the best man to deliver it, even though Niger Delta region will vote for GEJ, fashola can still deliver the western region. This kind of opportunity does not come often, the opposition parties should be wise and come together and put Ribadu/Fashola forward, and maybe it will be their time.
Re: Ribadu To Declare His Intention To Run For President by Obiagu1(m): 12:50am On Aug 10, 2010
rebranded:

I dont know Peter Obi's track record, but i feel to win southern states fashola is the best man to deliver it, even though Niger Delta region will vote for GEJ, fashola can still deliver the western region. This kind of opportunity does not come often, the opposition parties should be wise and come together and put Ribadu/Fashola forward, and maybe it will be their time.

Peter Obi is known for his financial prudence and Okonjo Iweala rated Anambra as the best financially managed state in Nigeria. This is what we need in Nigeria along with the battle against corruption which will be championed by Ribadu.
Also, AC is mostly a western party. If it fields Ribadu, whom the people already liked, from the North and Peter Obi who has virtually no dent so far, PDP will be defeated. Peter Obi will deliver both SS and SE for AC while the West will still go AC and Ribadu will deliver the North. So I think it’s the best combo.
Re: Ribadu To Declare His Intention To Run For President by becomrich3: 1:07am On Aug 10, 2010
AC would not field him. Tell Tinubu that. NO .  Ejo ni.
Re: Ribadu To Declare His Intention To Run For President by rebranded(m): 7:49pm On Aug 10, 2010
becomrich3:

AC would not field him. Tell Tinubu that. NO .  Ejo ni.

Mr. Becomrich watch and see, Ribadu will run!
Re: Ribadu To Declare His Intention To Run For President by olafolarin(m): 10:28pm On Aug 10, 2010
Obiagu1:

Peter Obi is known for his financial prudence and Okonjo Iweala rated Anambra as the best financially managed state in Nigeria. This is what we need in Nigeria along with the battle against corruption which will be championed by Ribadu.
Also, AC is mostly a western party. If it fields Ribadu, whom the people already liked, from the North and Peter Obi who has virtually no dent so far, PDP will be defeated. Peter Obi will deliver both SS and SE for AC while the West will still go AC and Ribadu will deliver the North. So I think it’s the best combo.

Your analysis is seriously flawed.Obi CAN NEVER deliver SS and SE because APGA has only Anambra and that's even shaky.Oshiomole,Donald duke,Utomi and Ikimi will deliver SS and SE,Ribadu will split the North voting block or even win the support of Buhari(Both are anti.corruptionists) while Fashola,Fayemi and Aregbesola will deliver SW.GEJ can retire to his Yenagoa oil-top

But the best combo is Ribadu/Duke or Ribadu/Utomi cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Ribadu To Declare His Intention To Run For President by dipotech: 10:32am On Aug 11, 2010
our analysis is seriously flawed.Obi CAN NEVER deliver SS and SE because APGA has only Anambra and that's even shaky.Oshiomole,Donald duke,Utomi and Ikimi will deliver SS and SE,Ribadu will split the North voting block or even win the support of Buhari(Both are anti.corruptionists) while Fashola,Fayemi and Aregbesola will deliver SW.GEJ can retire to his Yenagoa oil-top

But the best combo is Ribadu/Duke or Ribadu/Utomi   

To some extent i want to agree with you but personally i prefer Ribadu/Utomi even though Ribadu seems to be an instrument in the hand of "Baba Iyabo" OBJ but this combination may give AC the result.
Personally, i'm tired of PDP no matter who their presidential candidate is.

Let Fashola and Oshiomole maintain their states for 2nd term. Fashola is doing a very good job in Lagos
Re: Ribadu To Declare His Intention To Run For President by Gbawe: 10:53am On Aug 11, 2010
dipotech:

To some extent i want to agree with you but personally i prefer Ribadu/Utomi even though Ribadu seems to be an instrument in the hand of "Baba Iyabo" OBJ but this combination may give AC the result.
Personally, i'm tired of PDP no matter who their presidential candidate is.

Let Fashola and Oshiomole maintain their states for 2nd term. Fashola is doing a very good job in Lagos

Why speak of events in terms of the past alone? Who has Ribadu been associating with in the past two years after OBJ treacherously left him, El Rufai and Fani Kayode at the mercy of Yar Adua's hound dogs? Since his return to Nigeria how many times has Ribadu intentionally being in the company of OBJ or even mentioned our former President? Is it not instructive to Nigerians that Ribadu is a different man with how , lately , he is always in the company of OBJ's greatest critics (Soyinka, Falana,  et al) while shunning the numerous corrupt , yet powerful, kingmakers who kill the aspirations of Nigerians ?
Re: Ribadu To Declare His Intention To Run For President by Gadols(f): 11:13am On Aug 11, 2010
Nigeria's problems goes beyond probing past leaders. I think we need a generational shift that will bring about a re-orientation of our national psyche which should place value on service rather than looting. The polical office is so attractive now because its an avenue to share the oil money and even loot the treasury without any opposition. Imagine servicing a single senator annually with $1.7m. This is crazy. Yet the country is laden with poverty stricken masses. We need the change.

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News: $500 Billion (dollars) Found In Gej's Pocket. / Jonathan Goodluck Is A Dangerous President----mohammed Haruna / Cecilia Ibru May Not Smell Prison: Lives Inside Reddington Hospital

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.