Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,625 members, 7,823,754 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:31 PM

Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? (53938 Views)

NUC Rejects Move By NBTE To Float A Programme To Upgrade HND To Degree / 3 Former Governors Receive Operational Licenses To Float Universities / Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by capitalzero: 7:59am On Jan 05, 2019
greenek:

Thank you for the answer.. The prev guy just type many many irrelevant things

do not mind him. i think he is one of buhari supporters. they like saying irrelevant things.

1 Like

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by sandland: 7:59am On Jan 05, 2019
GogetterMD:

Oga barbecue, all this your epistle sef.
Dead bodies tend to float after some days in water simply because the decomposition process of the body due happens to release a whole lot of gases that causes it to bloat and thus levitate it to the surface, compared to a live person or a recent dead undecomposed body

This is simply the answer. When you put Air in a balloon �, it floats in water. Doesn't it?
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by SalamRushdie: 8:00am On Jan 05, 2019
post=74463623:
Good question, here are the reasons,
Human beings naturally float is because of the air in our lungs. The air acts as a buoyant force for the body, making it impossible for you to simply lie down at the bottom of a swimming pool. In the case of a corpse, however, they have no control over whether their lungs fill up or not. If the corpse falls in the water facedown, they might never sink to the bottom, as there will be no real chance for the air to escape from the lungs. However, if a corpse is put into the water on their back, air can escape, water can take its place, and the body will quickly sink.
If a person drowns, they don’t necessarily die because water fills up their lungs; often, the body will asphyxiate itself because the windpipe closes up against the presence of water.

you forgot to give credit to where you copied your reply from
https://www.quora.com/When-will-a-dead-body-float

I knew it had to be copy and paste because No Buharist has the brain matter to answer anything

15 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by bid4rich(m): 8:01am On Jan 05, 2019
Its a very simple arithmetic.....when you fall into water, as long as you can hold your breath (as a professional swimmer will do) you will float gradually as long as you don't struggle with the water.

The main reason people drown in water is because of anxiety to get out quickly thereby fill their lungs with water and eventually die and when they die, the stillness of their body allow the body to float.

I've tried it.........

Therefore, hold your peace when you fall into water, don't struggle, hold your breath for about 30 seconds..you will float.

1 Like

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by booblacain(m): 8:01am On Jan 05, 2019
post=74463623:

Initially, bodies will likely sink to the bottom, but as bodies decompose and gasses are released in the body, the corpse will rise back to the surface as a result of buoyancy.

The reason that living human beings naturally float is because of the air in our lungs. The air acts as a buoyant force for the body, making it impossible for you to simply lie down at the bottom of a swimming pool. In the case of a corpse, however, they have no control over whether their lungs fill up or not. If the corpse falls in the water facedown, they might never sink to the bottom, as there will be no real chance for the air to escape from the lungs. However, if a corpse is put into the water on their back, air can escape, water can take its place, and the body will quickly sink.

If a person drowns, they don’t necessarily die because water fills up their lungs; often, the body will asphyxiate itself because the windpipe closes up against the presence of water. In this case, a body could potentially float for longer periods before eventually sinking to the bottom. However, given that almost every dead body falls beneath the surface eventually, once all the air is expelled from the lungs.

Mmmmm
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by Nobody: 8:02am On Jan 05, 2019
I'm here to be enlightened not endarkened. Pls if you've got absolutely no clue, keep mute. Thanks!
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by sandland: 8:04am On Jan 05, 2019
Konki:

Then what causes floatation when swimming!?

Every swimmer paddles. Remain steady, you sink. There's more physics to this also, why does a standing bick fall?
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by Ourown(m): 8:04am On Jan 05, 2019
Up thrust
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by Youngstar76(m): 8:04am On Jan 05, 2019
Konki:

It's simple. The movement of hands and legs. The way you maneuver yourself. It is only those who have the skills that can float on water. You can't float on water if you lay still.
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by Nobody: 8:05am On Jan 05, 2019
post=74463623:

[s]Initially, bodies will likely sink to the bottom, but as bodies decompose and gasses are released in the body, the corpse will rise back to the surface as a result of buoyancy.

The reason that living human beings naturally float is because of the air in our lungs. The air acts as a buoyant force for the body, making it impossible for you to simply lie down at the bottom of a swimming pool. In the case of a corpse, however, they have no control over whether their lungs fill up or not. If the corpse falls in the water facedown, they might never sink to the bottom, as there will be no real chance for the air to escape from the lungs. However, if a corpse is put into the water on their back, air can escape, water can take its place, and the body will quickly sink.

If a person drowns, they don’t necessarily die because water fills up their lungs; often, the body will asphyxiate itself because the windpipe closes up against the presence of water. In this case, a body could potentially float for longer periods before eventually sinking to the bottom. However, given that almost every dead body falls beneath the surface eventually, once all the air is expelled from the lungs.[/s]

Always reference where you steal an article from. I was initially wondering a Buhari supporter could be this intelligent considering Buhari is a dullard himself, but having seen where you copied the shit from, I'm right after all - supporter of a dullard is a dullard too.
'scienceabc.com/eyeopeners/why-do-corpses-float.html'

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by Reference(m): 8:06am On Jan 05, 2019
I suppose the principle of buoyancy is at work. The body we are told consists 70 percent water by weight. These are held in the tissue by the mechanics of circulation. When circulation stops in death the body begins to shed this water and at the same time the breakdown of organic matter (decay) releases gases into the body cavity, both processes cause a positive buoyancy and the body floats. My 2 cents.

1 Like

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by FinestMariner(m): 8:06am On Jan 05, 2019
It is all about density . When the density is more than water ,things will sink. And less than water they will drown. Density of anything can be changed with the increase or dicraese of volume of the object.

When human body is for long time in water ,it swells ,there by increasing the volume of the body ,and dicreasing of density. So the density becomes less and body floats.
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by bonnyhope: 8:08am On Jan 05, 2019
david22uu:
Simple physics

A live body has more density than a dead body

Density =mass/volume

Live body has more mass and less volumes

When a person die and unattended to , there is gas build up in d body which increases volume, then dexompositions reduce the mass... so we have less mass more volume , the body becomes less dense than water and it floats

Simple
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by MufasaRebirth: 8:08am On Jan 05, 2019
post=74463623:

Initially, bodies will likely sink to the bottom, but as bodies decompose and gasses are released in the body, the corpse will rise back to the surface as a result of buoyancy.

If a person drowns, they don’t necessarily die because water fills up their lungs; often, the body will asphyxiate itself because the windpipe closes up against the presence of water. In this case, a body could potentially float for longer periods before eventually sinking to the bottom. However, given that almost every dead body falls beneath the surface eventually, once all the air is expelled from the lungs.

Funny guy, Trying hard to look intelligent grin
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by X34500098: 8:09am On Jan 05, 2019
Konki:

there is still enough compressed air in the lungs, moreover, the swimming body is not a decomposing and bloated one sir
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by Youngstar76(m): 8:10am On Jan 05, 2019
The body is denser than water it sinks. While at the bottom of the water, gases which are lighter than the water build up in the dead body n make the body less dense. After some time, the weight of the body becomes less denser than the water hence the body floats.

1 Like

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by Youngstar76(m): 8:11am On Jan 05, 2019
MufasaRebirth:

Funny guy, Trying hard to look intelligent grin

I swear!!! grin grin grin
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by showafrica(m): 8:13am On Jan 05, 2019
gaby:
Gravity due to the presence of gas?? Not my turf at all...one of the reasons I flunked school...

Not gravity, achimedis principle, not sure of the spelling due to the presence of gas.
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by Uglymugg: 8:16am On Jan 05, 2019
GogetterMD:

Dead bodies tend to float after some days in water simply because the decomposition process of the body due happens to release a whole lot of gases that causes it to bloat and thus levitate it to the surface, compared to a live person or a recent dead undecomposed body

He copied it from Quora. Not sure he understands what he copied.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by femi4: 8:18am On Jan 05, 2019
chiommy123:
Here to learn from them masters. And why does someone that drown need days to float
decomposition take days
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by Ibcrown(m): 8:19am On Jan 05, 2019
david22uu:
Simple physics

A live body has more density than a dead body

Density =mass/volume

Live body has more mass and less volumes

When a person die and unattended to , there is gas build up in d body which increases volume, then dexompositions reduce the mass... so we have less mass more volume , the body becomes less dense than water and it floats
good answer

1 Like

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by femi4: 8:20am On Jan 05, 2019
ProsperChild:
First of all this is a nice question hope u guys satisfy with my answer there are so many explanations of floating deadbodies in water ….I want explanation to be simple and liable for study ……

Biological reason of floating deadbodies...

Who can crack this mystery.
According to Archimedes principles and law of flotation

The body is denser than water it sinks. While at the bottom of the water, gases which are lighter than the water build up in the dead body n make the body less dense. After some time, the weight of the body becomes less denser than the water hence the body floats.

1 Like

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by Hoodbilonia: 8:26am On Jan 05, 2019
simple
we are humans
and are warm bodied
however wen one dies .b body becomes a cold blooded corpse
as ship heavy reach e nor dey sink
abi u don eva hear say wood miss for sea
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by mrkings84(m): 8:27am On Jan 05, 2019
SO WHAT DOES SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO SWIM DO TO KEEP FLOATING IF THEY FALLS INTO WATER?
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by alizma: 8:28am On Jan 05, 2019
post=74463623:

not every live body sinks.
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by DammyGbade(m): 8:28am On Jan 05, 2019
When the force of gravity is equal to the upthrust V=U(this happen after the dead body has become fully drowned), the body will float. But once the pull on the body exceed that of the water(V>U) the body will sink.. This method was used to float a big ship, boat, sub marine, divers, and all other machines making use of water... Please It's just my own scientific views
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by victorazyvictor(m): 8:32am On Jan 05, 2019
GogetterMD:

24 hours
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by kpompey: 8:34am On Jan 05, 2019
MrSix:
I still remember physics so? Errrm
The condition for floating to occur is only when the density of the body is less than the medium it would float in or on. This all centres of the mass to volume ratio of the body.
When the body is alive, due to absence of air, the mass to volume ratio is above 1g/cm3 (density of water). So it sinks. However, when the person dies, water enters the body which causes an increase in volume, thus decrease in density of the body and a corresponding increase in the upthrust acting against the body. So it floats.

Errrm...I try 100/10

I give it to you. You speak my mind

Need a laptop?
I sell Grade1 USA used Laptops
Free delivery within Lagos only and it's pay on delivery.
Details in my signature.
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by Phonix1234: 8:36am On Jan 05, 2019
BubuZombi:
When Life Is Gone, The Body Is Empty n Lighter
In essence, u mean life is Heavy grin abi
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by Neddyogu(m): 8:36am On Jan 05, 2019
Konki:

Propulsion.
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by kpompey: 8:39am On Jan 05, 2019
DammyGbade:
When the force of gravity is equal to the upthrust V=U(this happen after the dead body has become fully drowned), the body will float. But once the pull on the body exceed that of the water(V>U) the body will sink.. This method was used to float a big ship, boat, sub marine, divers, and all other machines making use of water... Please It's just my own scientific views

Weight--mg is a downward force and upthrust.. upward force , when mg-- upthrust.. equilibrium condition but once weight exceeded upthrust, then the body sink more.I disagreed with ur answer.
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by Chuksyno(m): 8:40am On Jan 05, 2019
jidxin:
What mystery are you cracking.... I'm sure google is still working
I wonder why op turned nairaland into Google. Google will give you more satisfactory answer.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pictures From Coal City University, Enugu / Anambra Students Create Smart Walking Sticks For The Blind(photo) / Joshua Beckford, Oxford University Youngest Student, Admitted At 6, Graduated 14

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.