Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,061 members, 7,810,953 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:24 PM

Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? (53832 Views)

NUC Rejects Move By NBTE To Float A Programme To Upgrade HND To Degree / 3 Former Governors Receive Operational Licenses To Float Universities / Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by ProsperChild: 6:12am On Jan 05, 2019
First of all this is a nice question hope u guys satisfy with my answer there are so many explanations of floating deadbodies in water ….I want explanation to be simple and liable for study ……

Biological reason of floating deadbodies...

Who can crack this mystery.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by gaby(m): 6:15am On Jan 05, 2019
Gravity due to the presence of gas?? Not my turf at all...one of the reasons I flunked school...

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:24am On Jan 05, 2019
Good question, here are the reasons,

Initially, bodies will likely sink to the bottom, but as bodies decompose and gasses are released in the body, the corpse will rise back to the surface as a result of buoyancy.

The reason that living human beings naturally float is because of the air in our lungs. The air acts as a buoyant force for the body, making it impossible for you to simply lie down at the bottom of a swimming pool. In the case of a corpse, however, they have no control over whether their lungs fill up or not. If the corpse falls in the water facedown, they might never sink to the bottom, as there will be no real chance for the air to escape from the lungs. However, if a corpse is put into the water on their back, air can escape, water can take its place, and the body will quickly sink.

If a person drowns, they don’t necessarily die because water fills up their lungs; often, the body will asphyxiate itself because the windpipe closes up against the presence of water. In this case, a body could potentially float for longer periods before eventually sinking to the bottom. However, given that almost every dead body falls beneath the surface eventually, once all the air is expelled from the lungs.

Next time GOOGLE will go a long way to help you!
It doesn't disappoint, atleast , most times!

272 Likes 24 Shares

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by GogetterMD(m): 6:45am On Jan 05, 2019
post=74463623:
Good question, here are the reasons,
Human beings naturally float is because of the air in our lungs. The air acts as a buoyant force for the body, making it impossible for you to simply lie down at the bottom of a swimming pool. In the case of a corpse, however, they have no control over whether their lungs fill up or not. If the corpse falls in the water facedown, they might never sink to the bottom, as there will be no real chance for the air to escape from the lungs. However, if a corpse is put into the water on their back, air can escape, water can take its place, and the body will quickly sink.
If a person drowns, they don’t necessarily die because water fills up their lungs; often, the body will asphyxiate itself because the windpipe closes up against the presence of water.

Oga barbecue, all this your epistle sef.
Dead bodies tend to float after some days in water simply because the decomposition process of the body due happens to release a whole lot of gases that causes it to bloat and thus levitate it to the surface, compared to a live person or a recent dead undecomposed body

320 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by chiommy123(f): 6:47am On Jan 05, 2019
Here to learn from them masters. And why does someone that drown need days to float

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by MrSix: 6:58am On Jan 05, 2019
I still remember physics so? Errrm
The condition for floating to occur is only when the density of the body is less than the medium it would float in or on. This all centres of the mass to volume ratio of the body.
When the body is alive, due to absence of air, the mass to volume ratio is above 1g/cm3 (density of water). So it sinks. However, when the person dies, water enters the body which causes an increase in volume, thus decrease in density of the body and a corresponding increase in the upthrust acting against the body. So it floats.

Errrm...I try 100/10

Need a laptop?
I sell Grade1 USA used Laptops
Free delivery within Lagos only and it's pay on delivery.
Details in my signature.

60 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by X34500098: 7:00am On Jan 05, 2019
water has taken over the initial mass of flesh, blood and bones to give it buoyancy cheesy

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by greenek: 7:33am On Jan 05, 2019
GogetterMD:

Dead bodies tend to float after some days in water simply because the decomposition process of the body due happens to release a whole lot of gases that causes it to bloat and thus levitate it to the surface, compared to a live person or a recent dead undecomposed body

Thank you for the answer.. The prev guy just type many many irrelevant things

76 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by Konki: 7:34am On Jan 05, 2019
X34500098:
water has taking over the initially mass of flesh, blood and bones to give it buoyancy cheesy

Then what causes floatation when swimming!?

3 Likes

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by helinues: 7:53am On Jan 05, 2019
As bodies decompose, gasses are released in the body. The corpse will definitely rise up as a result of buoyancy( an upward force exerted by a fluid that opposes the weight of an immersed object)

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by contigiency(m): 7:53am On Jan 05, 2019
It's just strange. meanwhile, dead bodies are usually heavier than the living ones.

4 Likes

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by WayStage(m): 7:54am On Jan 05, 2019
Because the dead body haff die lipsrsealed

15 Likes

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by BubuZombi: 7:54am On Jan 05, 2019
D
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by david22uu(m): 7:54am On Jan 05, 2019
Simple physics

A live body has more density than a dead body

Density =mass/volume

Live body has more mass and less volumes

When a person die and unattended to , there is gas build up in d body which increases volume, then dexompositions reduce the mass... so we have less mass more volume , the body becomes less dense than water and it floats

73 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by chicoMX(m): 7:54am On Jan 05, 2019
A life human being can also float on water if they can remain "still" in the water. It always advisable not to try to swim (if you cannot swim) when you're drowning, because there is a chance you might find yourself floating .

9 Likes

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by Nobody: 7:54am On Jan 05, 2019
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by jidxin(m): 7:54am On Jan 05, 2019
What mystery are you cracking.... I'm sure google is still working

3 Likes

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by david22uu(m): 7:54am On Jan 05, 2019
MrSix:
I still remember physics so? Errrm
The condition for floating to occur is only when the density of the body is less than the medium it would float in or on. This all centres of the mass to volume ratio of the body.
When the body is alive, due to absence of air, the mass to volume ratio is above 1g/cm3 (density of water). So it sinks. However, when the person dies, water enters the body which causes an increase in volume, thus decrease in density of the body and a corresponding increase in the upthrust acting against the body. So it floats.

U try o but u wrong

Errrm...I try 100/10

Need a laptop?
I sell Grade1 USA used Laptops
Free delivery within Lagos only and it's pay on delivery.
Details in my signature.
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by anochuko01(m): 7:55am On Jan 05, 2019
the spirit get weight naa. especially fat people

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by wakaman: 7:55am On Jan 05, 2019
Gas build up from the lungs, intenstine, also from outside as the body becomes a low pressure element being balanced by the high pressure environment, thus the air to body mass allows buoyancy, if you note most bodies don't float on the first day..... The gases need to build up, if you have noticed dead people swell if unattended even in a room or bed, the swelling is the buoyancy.

I just lost my grandmother on 1-1-19.

9 Likes

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by Tokziby: 7:55am On Jan 05, 2019
Simple logic... Aside from the gasses involved in the dead bodies that makes them float after 24-48hrs. Laying flat can make anybody float on water either dead or alive. No matter how good of a swimmer u are, u can never ever float on water by staying upright, u must maintain a flat position to stay afloat. You may not know how to swim but if u can maintain a flat body especially with ur back to the water, u head tilted a little to the back and ur legs and arm stretched u will stay afloat. The irony of it all is that majority of fat people can actually stay afloat cos of their large body. cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by Kelly2713(m): 7:55am On Jan 05, 2019
Because the former is death and the later is life. Asap

1 Like

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by jericco1(m): 7:55am On Jan 05, 2019
mmmh
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by chiboy1116: 7:56am On Jan 05, 2019
greenek:

Thank you for the answer.. The prev guy just type many many irrelevant things
lolx ...this early morning.
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by BubuZombi: 7:57am On Jan 05, 2019
When Life Is Gone, The Body Is Empty n Lighter

2 Likes

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by johnmattew: 7:57am On Jan 05, 2019
throw a dead body into a river,it will sink.

then after it's been soaked by water,it starts to sink. the density of the river is now greater than the soaked body.. buoyancy comes to play when the is difference in density

2 Likes

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by Nobody: 7:57am On Jan 05, 2019
GogetterMD:

Yea, I hear the gas story bla bla bla a lot, but if there are gases but if the volume to mass ratio of the dead body is still more that that of water, there shouldn't be floating.

1 Like

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by publicenemy(m): 7:57am On Jan 05, 2019
embarassed

1 Like

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by SolexxBarry(m): 7:58am On Jan 05, 2019
Izza simpu sturvs na

The soul is heavy thats why people sink but once they are dead and the soul leaves they become light and float on the river

Please leave me alone i'm not feeling fine today angry

6 Likes

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by slawomir: 7:58am On Jan 05, 2019
Isoright
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by sandland: 7:59am On Jan 05, 2019
GogetterMD:

This simply the answer. When you put Air in a balloon �, it floats in water. Doesn't it?

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Pathetic State Of The First Primary School In Nigeria -video / Nile University Of Nigeria In Pictures / 10 Types Of Lecturers You Meet In The University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.